BRITs 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BRITs 2020

On 18 February 2020 we will be celebrating our 40th major show since launching in 1977! We are planning lots of changes to the show and looking forward to maintaining our position as the UK’s biggest music awards.

All the fun will take place on Tuesday 18 February at London’s O2 Arena and will be broadcast live on ITV. This year, we’ll be letting the artists fully take the reins by encouraging them to create and curate performances unique to them, which will guarantee memorable and showstopping moments in the 2020 show.

We’re also reducing the number of awards on the night to just nine, meaning plenty more time on the night for music.

We’ve revamped all the award categories (see below) with the winners being decided by the 2020 Official Voting Academy - The Academy is made up of approximately 1200 music industry experts throughout the UK including artists, retailers, promoters, agents, publishers, labels, producers and media.

Awards Show 2020 Category List:
    Male Solo Artist
    Female Solo Artist
    Best Group
    Best New Artist (previously British Breakthrough Act)
    Rising Star (previously the Critics’ Choice Award)
    Song Of The Year (previously British Single)
    Mastercard Album Of The Year
    International Male Solo Artist
    International Female Solo Artist

After nearly a decade, the iconic Lady Britannia BRIT statuette is back! Having been reimagined each year since 2011 by a guest designer, 2020 winners will receive the classic trophy.
    Best Video has finally gone, long overdue! International Group has also been ditched, maybe because it was just being swapped back and forth between Foo Fighters and U2? I’m glad the viewer votes have also gone, it’ll stop an act like One Direction winning everything.

British Jamaican soul singer Celeste was named the first recipient of the Rising Star award and will perform on the night.

The nominations have been announced today and they’re very light on Sheeran! I think it also shows how lacking we are in actual stars in Britain right now; show a 50 year old that female list and they’d have no clue (no shade on their talent). The international category there is so much stronger.

Best album
    Stormzy - Heavy Is The Head
    Michael Kiwanuka - Kiwanuka
    Lewis Capaldi - Divinely Uninspired To A Hellish Extent
    Dave - Psychodrama
    Harry Styles - Fine Line

Best British female
    Mabel
    Freya Ridings
    FKA Twigs
    Charli XCX
    Mahalia

Best British male
    Harry Styles
    Lewis Capaldi
    Dave
    Michael Kiwanuka
    Stormzy

Best British group
    Coldplay
    Foals
    Bring Me The Horizon
    D-Block Europe
    Bastille

Best new artist
    Aitch
    Lewis Capaldi
    Dave
    Mabel
    Sam Fender

Best Song
    Ed Sheeran & Justin Bieber - I Don't Care
    Mabel - Don't Call Me Up
    Calvin Harris ft Rag 'N' Bone Man - Giant
    Dave ft Burna Boy - Location
    Mark Ronson ft Miley Cyrus - Nothing Breaks Like A Heart
    AJ Tracey - Ladbroke Grove
    Lewis Capaldi - Someone You Loved
    Tom Walker - Just You And I
    Sam Smith ft Normani - Dancing With A Stranger
    Stormzy - Vossi Bop

International Female
    Ariana Grande
    Billie Eilish
    Camila Cabello
    Lana Del Rey
    Lizzo

International male
    Bruce Springsteen
    Burna Boy
    Tyler, The Creator
    Dermot Kennedy
    Post Malone

Comment

Christ, what a crap set of categories/nominees - I do think Lewis Capaldi will have a big year (deservedly so, he's smashed it - I can remember raving about him when he had less than 10k followers on Twitter and no hits - he's now got 859,600 followers and has had 5 hits in the last couple of years).

I only really look forward to the Outstanding Contribution award - they really do need to give it to Celine/Mariah at some point, maybe this year one of the two will get it. Previous winners...

1977 LG Wood and The Beatles
      1982 John Lennon
      1983 The Beatles
      1984 George Martin
      1985 The Police
      1986 Wham! and Elton John
      1987 Eric Clapton
      1988 The Who
      1989 Cliff Richard
      1990 Queen
      1991 Status Quo
      1992 Freddie Mercury
      1993 Rod Stewart
      1994 Van Morrison
      1995 Elton John
      1996 David Bowie
      1997 Bee Gees
      1998 Fleetwood Mac
      1999 Eurythmics
      2000 Spice Girls
      2001 U2
      2002 Sting
      2003 Tom Jones
      2004 Duran Duran
      2005 Bob Geldof
      2006 Paul Weller
      2007 Oasis
      2008 Paul McCartney
      2009 Pet Shop Boys
      2010 Robbie Williams
      2012 Blur
      2014 Elton John
      2016 David Bowie
      2017 Robbie Williams
      2019 Pink

Comment

Wow, mad lack of women in that OC list. A diva really deserves one, but really Kylie is overdue.

Comment

No fka in album? Flop.
          I have received many gifts from God,
          but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

I never even picked up on that - OMG, it's actually terrible.

Spice Girls and P!nk are the only women to have won as far as I can see (and Annie as part of the Eurythmics).

Comment

Also how is Nothing Breaks eligible? It came out in 2018?!?
              I have received many gifts from God,
              but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

Originally posted by Thriller View Post
                Wow, mad lack of women in that OC list. A diva really deserves one, but really Kylie is overdue.
                It should be hers this year.
                5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

Gosh i genuinely believe the outstnding contribution award was only meant to be won once yet i see Elton John has won it three times! The greedy bitch...no wonder its slim on female winners. He's probably got dirt on The brit awards and says "i'm the queen when it comes to awarding females". No wonder he hates Madonna!

Comment

Thinking about it, it seems shocking that P!nk has won the outstanding contribution award whilst so many more established female artists (i mean Madonna for starters) have been overlooked.

Also very telling that Sam Fender has only been nominated for best newcomber despite winning the critic's choice award over Lewis Capaldi last year. They well and truly got it wrong in 2019.

I echo you guys too, that's a shocking list of nominees. If i had it my way, the winners would be.

Best album (tragic shortlist)
                    Harry Styles - Fine Line

(should be either Will Young Lexicon or Dido Still on my mind )

Best British female
                    Freya Ridings

(i like Mabel but for me, she's been more inconsistent whereas i find genuine charm if Freya's music)

Best British male
                    Harry Styles

(i mean it's between Stormzy and Lewis Capaldi and i'm not overly fussed who wins)

Best British group
                    Coldplay

(because they're one of my favourite bands of all time and have remained popular over the last 20 years)

Best new artist
                    Mabel

(but it'll be Lewis Capaldi)

Best Song
                    Mark Ronson ft Miley Cyrus - Nothing Breaks Like A Heart

(but it'll be between Stormzy or Lewis Capaldi)

International Female
                    Ariana Grande
                    Billie Eilish
                    Camila Cabello
                    Lana Del Rey
                    Lizzo

(gosh with a capital GOSH - can we just give them all an award each )

International male (not a patch on the girls shortlist)
                    Dermot Kennedy

(or Bruce Springsteen purely for still being so successful after nearly 50 years in the music business)

Comment

Don't know what their criteria was, but Kylie is obviously snubbed big time in international female. Dido as well in UK female category. She had the second biggest selling album by UK female for god sake. They started to blantly show their ageism.
                      When we lose what we love
                      Don't think anything will ever taste the same
                      When we lose what we love
                      Don't think anything will ever feel as good again

Comment

Originally posted by beredy View Post
                        Also how is Nothing Breaks eligible? It came out in 2018?!?
                        The eligibility period runs from November 2018 to 2019 I believe?

Mabel was apparently nominated for Breakthrough last year too (the old name for New Artist) - I did think she felt a bit older than the others in that category.

Comment

Originally posted by NoAngel View Post
                          Don't know what their criteria was, but Kylie is obviously snubbed big time in international female. Dido as well in UK female category. She had the second biggest selling album by UK female for god sake. They started to blantly show their ageism.
                          Golden was released in Spring 2018 so she was snubbed in 2019 more than anything - I don’t think they count Greatest Hits.

Comment

I’m surprised Camila has been nominated two years on the trot but they snubbed Taylor!

Comment

Wow at Sheeran and Taylor.

Is Mabel not Scandinavian?
                              1 Harry Styles|2 Dua Lipa |3 Doja Cat |4 Elodie|5 Lizzo |

Comment

^
                                Mabel's father is British
                                trebor's - 2016 in Country Music
                                trebor's - 2015 in Country Music

Comment

Originally posted by SholasBoy View Post
                                  Wow at Sheeran and Taylor.

Is Mabel not Scandinavian?
                                  She was born in Spain but grew up inbetween Sweden and London I believe. I’m not 100% on the criteria but yeah her dad’s British.

Comment

Wow no Magdalene for Best album :(
                                    BEST SONGS&ALBUMS OF 2017
                                    YOURS, FOREVER. // JOSS JONES (Tracklist)

Comment

This is a very weak year. Doubt I'll even watch. For the first time since I was a kid!
                                      Love you like a love song!

Comment

Looking at OC list, Madonna probably rejected the award, there's no way any other female getting it before her, she was the biggest female artist in UK for quite some time.
                                        Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
                                          Looking at OC list, Madonna probably rejected the award, there's no way any other female getting it before her, she was the biggest female artist in UK for quite some time.
                                          It’s traditionally always gone to British acts in the past, with exception of U2 in 2001 and P!nk last year - she was a strange choice though as the first female solo artist to receive it.

Comment

I always find the nominations for this award show very strange.

Comment

Originally posted by dylonj View Post
                                              I always find the nominations for this award show very strange.
                                              It’s basically which record companies have the most money and industry clout to get their artist nominated, which is why we end up with bland lists.

Comment

I am reading right that the only solo female vocalist to get that Outstanding Contribution award is Pink - and that was just last year???

Comment

Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                                                  I am reading right that the only solo female vocalist to get that Outstanding Contribution award is Pink - and that was just last year???
                                                  They were going to give the award to Madonna in 2014 but Elton John threw a tantrum and said it was absurd. So they gave the award to Elton John...again!

Yes it is really strange because whilst P!nk has remained popular for 20 years, Madonna was super popular around 2005 when she would've been celebrating her 20 years in the music industry. Kylie has also remained successful over a long period of time - would've been nice had they acknowledged Kylie in 2011 following the release of Aphrodite.

It sums up the sexist attitudes of the brits panel for sure.
                                                  Last edited by JakeP; Mon January 13th, 2020, 21:36.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X