No announcement yet.

Top Female-Led Singles Countdown - 2010s - COMPLETED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rita Ora's Anywhere is such a great holiday song.

P!nk's What About Us is another gem I really love. I wonder if it had done better in the US, had it not been about Trump.
    My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• Except Partition the spots 95 to 91 are bad. I did not vote for the Selena song ^^
      I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Comment

• I think I was the one who gave Love You Like A Love Song 38 pts.

This song reminded me of my Uni year (i'm so old now T-T). It was fascinating how many different people (including me) misheard the lyric and will sing the chorus as "I love you like I love somebody" instead of "I love you like a love song baby"

Comment

• Love You Like A Love Song is such a guilty pleasure. I loved it when I was in High School.
          I forgot about Partition - definitely my favourite Beyoncé songs. One of the only songs of hers that I can tolerate these days.
          Rita's Anywhere was a great pop track that cut through a lot of the mumble hip/hop tracks that dominated the latter half of the decade.
          I should have given P!nk's What About Us a few more votes upon reflection. It was a great change of style for her as she's been arguably been releasing the same album since 2006. Beautiful Trauma was a great album - it was a shame what she followed it up with.

Comment

• I Knew You Were Trouble was a bit of a watershed moment for Pop Taylor, even before Shake It Off kickstarted the 1989 era. was on the maybe list for a bit there as my 2012 already had a lot of songs and I considered only placing 2 Taylor songs. I remember hearing it on the radio and not quite recognising it was Taylor at first IIRC, it starts off with that little riffy part which is still fairly in that country/folsky kinda area, then that dubstep drop switches it up a bit, I was then like 'wait this is Taylor Swift'??

I think the name you're looking for there is Shania Twain, cheapthrills, She was even able to straddle both genres with the dual mixes (the UP! album) and dance mixes (like That Don't Impress Me Much). Many of her songs work well in both pop and country arrangements (watching the reputation tour on Netflix Taylor even did a a whole bit about an acoustic guitar version of Dancing With Our Hands Tied, which would work if she really countrified it up also IMO).

Nice to see Anywhere. Is there any more Rita coming up? Partition is a Jam, ITA it's probably one of Bey's most suggestive singles, one of my 2014 picks making the T100! I think I have one more left from that year.

Likewise What About Us was a slight shift for Pink in terms of the EDM-ness and her pattern of a lot of her lead singles being outspoken tracks with rockier elements. Who else loves the 'Clap-Clap' instrumental drop? It's anthemic and the video is also pretty grand.

I previously said Hold It Against Me won of the FF singles, Criminal hadn't appeared yet! Still unless HIAM wasn't voted, It's still to come. Can't Be Tamed was nice, funny how this was one of Miley's first attempts at trying to shed the Hannah Montana image, little did we know a couple years later she would dial it up to 11 during the Bangerz era...

Love You Like A Love Song is fun too, I didn't fit in any Selena Gomez votes, but between this and Come & Get It were some of her early 10's jams.
            Last edited by Affillate; Mon February 24th, 2020, 12:32.
            UKMIXtapes Vol.3 | ROUND 9!

Comment

• "Partition" is cute but I gave my votes to her other tracks. "I Knew You Were Trouble" was good, probably one of the last Taylor tracks that I enjoyed.

Comment

• The King song gets boring after a while. The best thing about it was aRatchet naming it “Prostitution.”
                Originally posted by beredy
                When people see your post this is what they see:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

• Originally posted by Affillate View Post
                  I Knew You Were Trouble was a bit of a watershed moment for Pop Taylor, even before Shake It Off kickstarted the 1989 era. was on the maybe list for a bit there as my 2012 already had a lot of songs and I considered only placing 2 Taylor songs. I remember hearing it on the radio and not quite recognising it was Taylor at first IIRC, it starts off with that little riffy part which is still fairly in that country/folsky kinda area, then that dubstep drop switches it up a bit, I was then like 'wait this is Taylor Swift'??
                  Yeah, I remember that being the reaction too. We Are Never... still felt like it could be on a country Taylor song, even tho it wasn't. But I Knew You Were Trouble was surprising.

Originally posted by Affillate View Post
                  I think the name you're looking for there is Shania Twain, cheapthrills, She was even able to straddle both genres with the dual mixes (the UP! album) and dance mixes (like That Don't Impress Me Much). Many of her songs work well in both pop and country arrangements (watching the reputation tour on Netflix Taylor even did a a whole bit about an acoustic guitar version of Dancing With Our Hands Tied, which would work if she really countrified it up also IMO).
                  Yes, that's true! - Shania definitely crossed over in a big way, though I don't feel she ever left country like I feel Taylor ended up doing. Leann Rimes is another one that I think had the potential to do it.

Nice to see Anywhere. Is there any more Rita coming up?
                  Rita has no more songs on the countdown - Anywhere was her highest.

Out of that last group, the only one I really, truly love is Anywhere, though Partition is ok. I haven't cued that one up in awhile. On to the next group!

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• I completely forgot about Phoni and that particular Kween song. I still think with the proper push from the people behind that dumb ass movie, it could have been a smash.

Kween has questionable taste sometimes, she worked with Onika after all.

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

• Oh both "Formation" and "Make Me" were two great 2016 singles by two female artists that I like ... I'm glad they both made the Top 100.
                                  Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post
                                    I completely forgot about Phoni and that particular Kween song. I still think with the proper push from the people behind that dumb ass movie, it could have been a smash.

Kween has questionable taste sometimes, she worked with Onika after all.
                                    I had to watch Up Out My Face after that comment - what am awful video. Why on earth did Mariah recruit Nicki? Nicki hadn't even released an album yet.

Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post
                                    Oh both "Formation" and "Make Me" were two great 2016 singles by two female artists that I like ... I'm glad they both made the Top 100.
                                    I think Formation is her best work this decade. Even though I didn't vote for it. It was really hard to leave that one off my list.

Comment

• cheapthrills : Haven't I given 'Jar of Hearts' any points? I thought I have...
                                      Don't need hindsight
                                      I'll make my emotions clear
                                      And then disappear
                                      With one strike
                                      (All Saints)

Comment

• I'm shocked Losing You only got 3 voters, but then I only remembered it at the last minute and it shot to the top of my list as there's nothing else like it from the decade.

An effortlessly breezy earworm with a perfect video. Big Sis, though Queen of Bombastic, could neva be so casually and unorchestratedly cool.

I'd be happy with this song On. Repeat. For. Life.
                                        This ain't gon be easy

Comment

• Wrong lyrics on Almost Home got me LOLing so hard. The same mistake is on Solange (she got the Make Me lyrics) but it ain't nearly funny. I can literally hear Mariah singing "I got hot sauce in my bag, swag".
                                          I have received many gifts from God,
                                          but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

• Originally posted by HotPotato View Post
                                            Big Sis, though Queen of Bombastic, could neva be so casually and unorchestratedly cool.
                                            Solange >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> B

Comment

• Almost home? I don't know her...
                                              First time I hear this song and I understand why she doesn't like it. 

The rest are good songs, except this one, all the top100 songs really deserve to be there.

Comment

• Hm, not a big fan of the last 5, Mariah, Britney, Beyonce and Katy can do so much better.
                                                I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Comment

• Originally posted by beredy View Post
                                                  Wrong lyrics on Almost Home got me LOLing so hard. The same mistake is on Solange (she got the Make Me lyrics) but it ain't nearly funny. I can literally hear Mariah singing "I got hot sauce in my bag, swag".
                                                  Same. Haha.

Formation is one of those ones a bit like Britney's Womanizer or even Bey's own Single Ladies where at first listen the combo of sounds and lyrics sound bit disjointed but you start to click with the flow after a couple listens. The video is interesting, I rewatched it recently, side note anyone a little bit concerned about her hair hanging out the car like that near the wheels as its moving? Bit of Work Health & Safety girl, WH & S. Anyway the Katrina undertones and stuff are interesting.

It had everything it needed to be a massive hit, but I think it could've been a little bigger than what it was in part to the whole Tidal exclusivity (at least in terms of streaming, you could buy it on ITunes et al also IIRC).and very slow release to other streaming platforms for the era as a whole.

Jar of Hearts was nice, Wonder if A Thousand Years charted. Speaking of movie songs, Almost Home was one of the highlights of that kinda weird period in 2013 when Mariah did Idol and we were guessing when her next album would be coming. Make Me was a bit like Pink the year after, a bit of a slight change of sound for a Britney lead single. The original video scrapping was giving us DoWhatUWant flashbacks there though. at least we ended up getting something (and it gave us the Album cover in a screenshot. LOL).

The Legendary Roar. I knew this would likely pop up, maybe a little higher though. Bit of an anthem. Sorry to nitpick again cheapthrills Do you mean 2 years after the original Teenage Dream Singles (ending The One That Got Away in late 2011)? Wide Awake was around July 2012 to coincide with her movie (edit; checked wikipedia; May 2012), then Roar was August 2013 (that infamous face off with Gaga's Applause).

Not familiar with the Solange one might give a listen later. I Voted other Katy and Britney Songs, still to appear.
                                                  Last edited by Affillate; Tue February 25th, 2020, 14:50.
                                                  UKMIXtapes Vol.3 | ROUND 9!

Comment

• Originally posted by Affillate View Post
                                                    Not familiar with the Solange one might give a listen later. I Voted other Katy and Britney Songs, still to appear.

That whole EP is amazing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Affillate
                                                      Not familiar with the Solange one might give a listen later.
                                                      Please do. Introducing just one person to this gem would be a win in my eyes.

This ain't gon be easy

Comment

• Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post

I had to watch Up Out My Face after that comment - what am awful video. Why on earth did Mariah recruit Nicki? Nicki hadn't even released an album yet.
                                                        I love the Up Out My Face video.
                                                        One of the main reasons Mariah worked with Nicki on that song is probably BECAUSE she hadn't had an album out yet. Mariah always love to be one of the first to work with new rappers.

My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• Originally posted by HotPotato View Post
                                                          I'm shocked Losing You only got 3 voters, but then I only remembered it at the last minute and it shot to the top of my list as there's nothing else like it from the decade.

An effortlessly breezy earworm with a perfect video. Big Sis, though Queen of Bombastic, could neva be so casually and unorchestratedly cool.

I'd be happy with this song On. Repeat. For. Life.
                                                          I had never heard the Solange song!!! And I think it's fantastic. Better than a lot of songs further up this list.

Originally posted by beredy View Post
                                                          Wrong lyrics on Almost Home got me LOLing so hard. The same mistake is on Solange (she got the Make Me lyrics) but it ain't nearly funny. I can literally hear Mariah singing "I got hot sauce in my bag, swag".
                                                          OMG Don't you hate when you look over something you've written and proofread to make sure there's no mistakes and then realize you missed some major thing?? Too bad it happened to Solange. I do like the quote for Mimi's song though.

After I copy and pasted those, I think I thought I'd go back and grab the quote and then never did.

Same. Haha.

Formation is one of those ones a bit like Britney's Womanizer or even Bey's own Single Ladies where at first listen the combo of sounds and lyrics sound bit disjointed but you start to click with the flow after a couple listens. The video is interesting, I rewatched it recently, side note anyone a little bit concerned about her hair hanging out the car like that near the wheels as its moving? Bit of Work Health & Safety girl, WH & S. Anyway the Katrina undertones and stuff are interesting.

It had everything it needed to be a massive hit, but I think it could've been a little bigger than what it was in part to the whole Tidal exclusivity (at least in terms of streaming, you could buy it on ITunes et al also IIRC).and very slow release to other streaming platforms for the era as a whole.
                                                          I have always hated the hair out the window too. It actually gave me stress when I watched it for the first time. I wish it had been a bigger hit; I just think there's so much going on with the video and the song itself to discuss - more of a thinker than most songs she had done prior to that.

The Legendary Roar. I knew this would likely pop up, maybe a little higher though. Bit of an anthem. Sorry to nitpick again cheapthrills Do you mean 2 years after the original Teenage Dream Singles (ending The One That Got Away in late 2011)? Wide Awake was around July 2012 to coincide with her movie (edit; checked wikipedia; May 2012), then Roar was August 2013 (that infamous face off with Gaga's Applause).
                                                          I guess I have PTSD from Wide Awake and forgot that it existed. I think she had another single in there too from the re-release of the album.

Originally posted by RayRay View Post

One of the main reasons Mariah worked with Nicki on that song is probably BECAUSE she hadn't had an album out yet. Mariah always love to be one of the first to work with new rappers.

I guess this is fair - Nicki was probably the biggest female up-and-coming rapper, so it would make sense in a female empowerment sort of way.

Will post the next set after dinner.

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post

Kween always loves to jump on a major black trend while the iron is hot because she’s so on top of her culture for better or worse (Onika, Miguel, mumble rap features).

Comment

• Solange’s music bores me to tears btw

Comment

Working...
                                                              X