No announcement yet.

Top Female-Led Singles Countdown - 2010s - COMPLETED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ghosttown is such an underrated gem that deserved to be another #1 hit for Madonna.

Are those votes for Juice correct? I gave Lizzo 7 points whereas it says Akini gave 7 points - yet i had wondered if Akini would've given big points to the song.

Comment

• "Ghosttown" is an underrated pop gem. I also love the video by the way. "What’s My Name" is a nostalgic bop for me. I never see anyone talk about it so I‘m suprised that is in the Top 100.

I love 7 Rings, Applause and Juice as well.
      Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

• Bon Appetit and Applause are fantastic <3 Applause wasn't in my votes because only 3 songs from one artist are allowed.
        I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Comment

• Dancing was a great start to a great hit era for Kylie. The video though a bit cheap is great, love the symbolic allusions to death.

Slumber Party was a great video treatment after the double Make Me video fiasco. She should have opened the era with a video as strong as Slumber as there were other great tracks on the album (Just Luv Me and Liar could have been great singles), but the momentum died after Make Me was fudged.

I nearly voted for Euphoria and looking back I should have made room for it. Perfect track and performance for Eurovision but it has legs beyond the Eurovision realm. Its like a sister to the amazing Titanium but actually even better.

Blow is Ke$ha at her best.

Break Free is the first time I found Ariana bearable. Her marketing as pervy Lolita doll in all of her badly mimed early videos really put me off but Ive gotten used to her now. She is still hit and miss and 7 Rings is a perfect example of when her team's presentation of her both aurally and visually is lazy she can still grate.

Ghosttown absolutely should have been a global number one for Madonna, one of her best ballads ever and free of the vocal overproduction that hampered Living For Love and ruined most of Madame X. Ghosttown and tracks like Crazy and Come Alive prove she totally still has it when they stop Fing with her vocal tracks.

Juice is cool, Price Tag is surprisingly STILL bearable after so much overexposure.

This ain't gon be easy

Comment

• Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
            #93 Selena Gomez - Love You Like A Love Song
            This made me check the song out and I love it. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
            My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• ^^Easily her best.
              This ain't gon be easy

Comment

• Well there goes my #1, Love Applause. Cool that it got a graphic placing, Gaga had some great looks in the video and the clown face is pretty iconic IMO. It had me really hyped for the ARTPOP era, even with the fumbling of the second single and such that happened afterwards, still a great album. It's a fun track. Similarly right now I'm looking forward to what else she has in store after Stupid Love for the upcoming Chromatica Album.

I thought Ghosttown might get a few votes, ITA as a single, we hadn't had one from Madonna that was more Ballad leaning for a while at that point. Cool to see Jessie J place with Price Tag, it's very catchy. As is What's My Name? IIRC Bon Appetit is the first Witness single we've come across so far? A few 2019 hits there, with Lizzo and Ariana.

A few in my top half im kinda surprised havent charted out yet, unless theyre in the next 24 bubbling under posts.
                Last edited by Affillate; Mon March 2, 2020, 11:25.
                UKMIXtapes Vol.3 | ROUND 9!

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• I was so obsessed with "Applause" when it came out. I think I may have played it more in its 24 hours of release than I did any other song its first day. "Something New" and "Not Myself Tonight" deserved more love! "FourFiveSeconds" is left-field magic.

"Juice" is fantastic! It captures Lizzo's magic better than any of her other songs. I loved Ari flexing on "7 Rings". There needs to be more pop/trap bops like that one.

"Price Tag" is nice, but Jessie J has better. "Ghosttown" is the kind of mature, brilliant balladry that I love from Madge. It's one of her best songs ever, in my opinion.

"What's My Name?" is a bop. I love the Loud era's red hair. "Skyscraper" is beautiful. "Shake It Out" is good, but hopefully not the last we'll see of Florence + the Machine.

I didn't expect for "Praying" to be so high, but there's so much to appreciate about its backstory and Kesha's strength to record a song like it.

"The Greatest" is equal parts heartbreaking and uplifting. It actually brings me to tears.

I'm not loving the fact that "Living for Love" outranked "Ghosttown", but the former is still a cute song. I love the opening monologue she did during that BRIT Awards performance.

Originally posted by JakeP View Post
                              Are those votes for Juice correct? I gave Lizzo 7 points whereas it says Akini gave 7 points - yet i had wondered if Akini would've given big points to the song.
                              Plot twist - I actually didn't vote for "Juice".
                              Akini's Top 100 Artists of the Decade: [#1]

Comment

• Omg the songs are getting better and better now. I love almost all of them. Skyscraper is one of Demi's best songs, Praying IS Kesha‘s best song, The Greatest is probably my favorite Sia song, FourFiveSeconds is an underrated masterpiece, Not Myself Tonight was a terrible choice for a lead single but it’s still a bop and I still think Living for Love was great.
                                Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

• Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                                  I was so obsessed with "Applause" when it came out. I think I may have played it more in its 24 hours of release than I did any other song its first day.
                                  I remember the showdown with Katy and I am forever bitter that Roar outdid Applause.

Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                                  I didn't expect for "Praying" to be so high, but there's so much to appreciate about its backstory and Kesha's strength to record a song like it.
                                  It was her highest performer on the countdown too - which is startling, considering all of her hits were at the beginning of the decade.

"The Greatest" is equal parts heartbreaking and uplifting. It actually brings me to tears.
                                  I love the song too, but it has some negative memory associations, which make it hard for me to listen to.

Plot twist - I actually didn't vote for "Juice".
                                  ....and I even ceded the write-up to you on it. Probably had you on my mind when I put you in there instead of the proper voter.

Originally posted by JeremySpears View Post
                                  Omg the songs are getting better and better now. I love almost all of them. Skyscraper is one of Demi's best songs, Praying IS Kesha‘s best song, The Greatest is probably my favorite Sia song, FourFiveSeconds is an underrated masterpiece, Not Myself Tonight was a terrible choice for a lead single but it’s still a bop and I still think Living for Love was great.
                                  I actually really liked not Myself Tonight

Comment

• Living for love is really good and so is The Greatest. Something New and Not myself tonight are great too. Living for love was once in my list I think.
                                    I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Comment

I remember the showdown with Katy and I am forever bitter that Roar outdid Applause.
                                      Same. It would've been a bit better if "Applause" had at least gotten to #2, but it stalling at #4 was bleh.

Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                                      It was her highest performer on the countdown too - which is startling, considering all of her hits were at the beginning of the decade.
                                      That's interesting! I wonder what other surprises are waiting in the upper end of the countdown.

I love the song too, but it has some negative memory associations, which make it hard for me to listen to.
                                      I actually didn't know the song was a tribute to the Pulse victims when I heard it. I just thought it was catchy and motivational so for a while I just viewed it through those lens.

....and I even ceded the write-up to you on it. Probably had you on my mind when I put you in there instead of the proper voter.
                                      I do have quite a bit of love for "Juice", but 2019 was a weak year in music for me.
                                      Akini's Top 100 Artists of the Decade: [#1]

Comment

• Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                                        I do have quite a bit of love for "Juice", but 2019 was a weak year in music for me.
                                        It's an interesting point to make. I based my 2014-2019 votes on the most successful female songs in my personal chart. It really emphasised just how amazing the pop music at the start of the decade was (3 of my top 5 were released before i even started my own personal chart - kinda makes me wish i had joined UK Mix ten years ago because i would've been in my element with you guys.

Comment

• Yeah the first half was definitely more female friendly on the charts and had more visibility. I'm still trying to puzzle out why streaming affected pop music and female singers so drastically.

Comment

• Skyscraper is such a great song, but I prefer Sam Bailey's version.
                                            My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post
                                              Skyscraper is such a great song, but I prefer Sam Bailey's version.
                                              Just listened to it - she has a beautiful voice.

Comment

• "Price Tag" was iconic! She had such an amazing debut era. The three back to back bops that were "Do It Like A Dude", "Price Tag" and "Nobody's Perfect" really put her on the map with her unique style. Then, her second album happened...

I love "What's My Name", one of my favorite island bops from Rih!

Comment

• I need to catch up on this asap, but... fun fact: "Skyscraper" was written by Estonian Pop goddess Kerli, for those who didn't know that yet

Comment

Yeah the first half was definitely more female friendly on the charts and had more visibility. I'm still trying to puzzle out why streaming affected pop music and female singers so drastically.
                                                    Good point actually. I highly doubt that the people who would support the eras like 'Loud', 'Born This Way' or 'Teenage Dream' are the same people who pushed 'The Box' or 'Highest In The Room' to the top of the charts. The same way I highly doubt that the more sophisticated adult people who bought Norah Jones' or Michael Bublé's records in high quantities in the 00s decided to move on to Push Malone and XXXTentacion.
                                                    It seems to me that big parts of former consumers simply stopped consuming (commercial) music in big quantities and instead got replaced by a small demographic who listen to the same kind of music in masses. So yeah, the solution to more diverse charts and musical landscape seems to be to get the post-college people and the high earners back on the ship again.
                                                    Is it offensive to fall in love with you and everything you do
                                                    and everything you stand for?
                                                    Could I break through your invisible wall, could I hide my pride for once,
                                                    just to tell you that I see more?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X