Top Female-Led Singles Countdown - 2010s - COMPLETED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catch up post the last few pages:

* Had Work Bitch as a third Britney vote for a while but cut it. It was kinda a slightly differently structured song for her, giving her 'Accent' from Scream & Shout another go in this dance club jam that I'm sure is on some Workout playlists. The video was rumoured to be on the most expensive ever list near the top at the time, but actually came out a bit lower down.

* Don't Start Now will probably be seen as Dua's 'Bad Romance' moment of the 2010's down the line in terms of a song released year-end and ending up being a cross-decade hit on the chart IMO.

* The star studded video of TGIF Last Friday Night, There would be a few more during the decade after it like Bitch I'm Madonna and Taylor's Bad Blood (still to appear?).

* Cool to see Little Mix finally get a nod on the T100 and representing the Girl Groups.

* Get Outta My Way was a great second single. I wonder if All The Lovers will pop up. I remember she did a good performance on UK XFactor of it, (even if said performance with the chair choreo was mostly recycled for a lot of the promo of the song, its in the video, the tour used it etc.). The famous Gold hotpants were kinda homaged with that Gold outfit in a way in the video too.

* Only Love Can Hurt Like This - #1 in Australia possibly helped due to the promo for Aussie show Winners & Losers (was a season return or something promo IIRC); and you'll know from my ARIA #1's Survivors (which this song won the 2014 Survivor I hosted back in 2015) Australia tends to sometimes respond to a good TV promo featuring a song on the chart. She also performed it on The X Factor here. Winners & Losers also used Meghan Trainor's 'Like I'm Gonna Lose You' around the time it hit #1 the following year.

*National Anthem - Lana is almost a bit 'Rap' in verses here. One for the misheard lyrics thread; for a bit I thought it was 'Daddy I'm your National Anthem' instead of 'Tell Me' LOL.

* Ah, I guessed that my Aussie votes still yet to come up in Wings by Delta and Samantha Jade's Firestarter might crash out in the upper bubbling under. Wings became Delta's first #1 on the ARIA chart since 2007's In This Life (Sitting on top... peaked at #2 in 2012). Firestarter is such a Jam, the video won best video ARIA at the 2013 awards.

* Edge of Glory - if anything the video was a bit understated to what people were accustomed to from Gaga at that point in time (IIRC I think it was originally supposed to have another concept with her as a Mermaid and a wheelchair or somesuch bizarro abstract theme that you came to expect from a Gaga video in the early 2010's (the mermaid part I think we got some of shoved into the You & I video), but something went off and she scrapped it for what we got). I think it still works well though, just her, the building/streets and the sax. I also remember some advert she did using it (mightve been google?) and the part where she's running over the brooklyn bridge and dancing her A$$ off or something was pretty euphoric.

* Speaking of videos Wrecking Ball was a moment. I think all 3 of the Bangerz videos had their share of controversy.

* Kiss It Better was probably one of the ANTi tracks I thought felt more pop/R&B style (save for the explicit F-Bombs), however chartwise it didn't make the biggest impact. Kygo did a great job with Whitney on Higher Love.
    * Shallow was great, it got a bit overplayed and needed a rest, the build up part was cool.

*I think I became aware of 'I Follow Rivers' through Tina singing a little bit of it on Glee. I think it might've been used in an ad too.

* Do What U Want was a jam, its a shame it was such a major debacle for the ARTPOP era (the video that never came and leaked snippets in 2014, the message/interpret of the song could be misconstrued and the sexual element etc) and then with the R Kelly, The Christina version is nice and at least we have some form of it on streaming.

* Girl Gone Wild is a great dance track, IMO it kinda feels like a contemporary in some ways to Sorry, with the spoken intro bit particularly and even if you take this song's theme of Madonna being an unapologetic (bitch ) about girls just wanting to have some fun. Some tried to drag her for that last line for 'copying' Cyndi Lauper. the reaching... haha. It was my fourth highest vote.

*Run Away With Me - Carly delivered an awesome op album with EMOTION. This one was helped along by the 'Run Away With Meme' viral videos, featuring either the sax solo intro, the exploding into the chorus at a specific moment or a combo of both. This would probably be a Tik Tok phenomenon if it was released a few years later (Vine was still in use in 2015).

* Hold It Against Me - very catchy, Was one of those songs that was was a January release single (often the lead), a trend that continued some years in the rest of the decade. Also the video was interesting. another one like a few in the decade to feature some (fairly conspicious) product placement.

Last edited by Affillate; Sat March 7th, 2020, 12:32.
    UKMIXtapes Vol.3 | ROUND 9!

Comment

• Originally posted by Erotica View Post

I don't think so. I would have voted for it, but the song isn't allowed in this countdown.
      Originally posted by Affillate View Post

Ah yes, it was only technically a promo single (although It may as well have been official given the reception the video got). Lets see, I'm pretty sure We've seen the six official singles from MDNA and Rebel Heart, Has Medellin appeared? otherwise it's Crave. IIRC I saw I Rise (which wikipedia lists as a later official single release in Oct last year) drop out in the first few updates.
      I'll be posting it in just a few minutes. I love that no one guessed it and the people who voted for it kept quiet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Affillate View Post
        Catch up post the last few pages:
        * Don't Start Now will probably be seen as Dua's 'Bad Romance' moment of the 2010's down the line in terms of a song released year-end and ending up being a cross-decade hit on the chart IMO.
        I think so too. I think the timing didn't work out for it. I wonder if I had done this countdown in the summer like I usually do, giving it time, if it would have odne better.

* Cool to see Little Mix finally get a nod on the T100 and representing the Girl Groups.
        Especially since they were just out of even getting a graphic at 151 and 152!

* Only Love Can Hurt Like This - #1 in Australia possibly helped due to the promo for Aussie show Winners & Losers (was a season return or something promo IIRC); and you'll know from my ARIA #1's Survivors (which this song won the 2014 Survivor I hosted back in 2015) .
        When I googled her song, it was actually that promo that came up first before the actual video. It's a shame Paloma couldn't capitalize on it with another hit there. I loved the song when it was popular too, but it had little impact on the charts here.

* Ah, I guessed that my Aussie votes still yet to come up in Wings by Delta and Samantha Jade's Firestarter might crash out in the upper bubbling under. Wings became Delta's first #1 on the ARIA chart since 2007's In This Life (Sitting on top... peaked at #2 in 2012). Firestarter is such a Jam, the video won best video ARIA at the 2013 awards.
        Firestarter had the second best appearance of any song getting two votes. (The highest two-vote getter will appear in the next set.)

* Edge of Glory - if anything the video was a bit understated to what people were accustomed to from Gaga at that point in time (IIRC I think it was originally supposed to have another concept with her as a Mermaid and a wheelchair or somesuch bizarro abstract theme that you came to expect from a Gaga video in the early 2010's (the mermaid part I think we got some of shoved into the You & I video), but something went off and she scrapped it for what we got). I think it still works well though, just her, the building/streets and the sax. I also remember some advert she did using it (mightve been google?) and the part where she's running over the brooklyn bridge and dancing her A$$ off or something was pretty euphoric.
        I feel like The Edge of Glory was kind of rushed through as a release. Since Judas was flopping, and people were raving about TEOG, they switched to that. But Judas got an elaborate video - presumably thinking it was going to be on the charts for awhile. So they were caught flat footed and probably felt they needed to get something out there considering Gaga's brand. It kind of made things messy.

** Do What U Want was a jam, its a shame it was such a major debacle for the ARTPOP era (the video that never came and leaked snippets in 2014, the message/interpret of the song could be misconstrued and the sexual element etc) and then with the R Kelly, The Christina version is nice and at least we have some form of it on streaming.
        ARTPOP was really frustrating to watch. Applause was a hit, even if it wasn't a #1, but it just seemed to meltdown after that. The rollout for DWUW was so disjointed. It looked like it might break top ten and just halted - a video would have helped. And honestly if they could cobble something together for TEOG, they should have done the same for this great song.

** Girl Gone Wild is a great dance track, IMO it kinda feels like a contemporary in some ways to Sorry, with the spoken intro bit particularly and even if you take this song's theme of Madonna being an unapologetic (bitch ) about girls just wanting to have some fun. Some tried to drag her for that last line for 'copying' Cyndi Lauper. the reaching... haha. It was my fourth highest vote.

I've always loved Madonna, and now I feel bad I didn't include her on my list. She really fell off with this decade commercially, which is understandable, but creatively, she had a lot of admirable music.

** Hold It Against Me - very catchy, Was one of those songs that was was a January release single (often the lead), a trend that continued some years in the rest of the decade. Also the video was interesting. another one like a few in the decade to feature some (fairly conspicious) product placement.
        Were the January releases because everyone was using their iTunes gift cards from Xmas?

OK, onto the next set! We have two of the big five showing up... and Bad Blood doesn't appear in the next set, but a song from that album does.

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• cheapthrills Wow you really don't want me to vote for Set Fire To The Rain! It's my favourite Adele song so I gave it 28 points. You previously had me down Send My Love (To Your New Lover) which I never voted for.

I had forgotten about Masterpiece as did everyone else it seems. A nice simple ballad which I've come to appreciate more as time goes by. Proves that Madonna doesn't need a lot of vocal effects to sound good - just sing girl!

I considered voting for Style as it's one of my favourite Taylor Swift songs. The her vocals in the verses and the production are sublime.
                      I miss dance Rihanna. Only Girl (In The World) went off in 2010. Probably one of my favourites of hers from that period. Did anyone else think the lyrics were "I want you to love me, like I'm a hot guy" at first?

The Flood is Katie's best song IMO. A very interesting track that takes you on a ride.

Comment

• "Only Girl" is another Rih song that I don't really care. "What's My Name?" is million times better. She looks gorgeous in the video though.

Comment

• So happy to see #Beautiful so high. fantastic result HOWEVER I must add that while it's true that Mariah didn't have much chart success this past decade, though ALL becoming her 19th #1 was a huge achivement, as cheapthrills pointed as well, she had many amazing songs that weren't released, like: Caution, 8th Grade, Faded, You Don't Know What To Do, GTFO (which I should have voted for but didn't.. whyyy??), The Distance, Christmas songs..

I'm wondering if Mariah will be featured again in this coundown.. ?
                          Last edited by Tomer_MC; Sat March 7th, 2020, 14:56.
                          #mariahcarey #lambforlife

Comment

• Originally posted by GaGarazzi View Post
                            cheapthrills Wow you really don't want me to vote for Set Fire To The Rain! It's my favourite Adele song so I gave it 28 points. You previously had me down Send My Love (To Your New Lover) which I never voted for.
                            I did add your 28 points, so her placement is correct. But I think I may have done that graphic before the mistake. I apologize for leaving you off

Originally posted by GaGarazzi View Post
                            I had forgotten about Masterpiece as did everyone else it seems. A nice simple ballad which I've come to appreciate more as time goes by. Proves that Madonna doesn't need a lot of vocal effects to sound good - just sing girl!
                            Right? I was shocked too. I really thought one of her Madame X singles would show up in the top 100. I completely forgot about this song.

I miss dance Rihanna. Only Girl (In The World) went off in 2010.
                            I do too. :( She really lost me with her last album - at least it gave us Love on the Brain. I wonder what Rih will serve us with her next album - LOL, I'm so funny. As if there will be another album.

The Flood is Katie's best song IMO. A very interesting track that takes you on a ride.
                            This is now two countdowns she is just short. In the 2000s one, she was #101. Both times, I was really disappointed, and wished I had included her so she'd get a write-up. The Flood is the highest performing song with just two votes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tomer_MC View Post
                              So happy to see #Beautiful so high. fantastic result HOWEVER I must add that while it's true that Mariah didn't have much chart success this past decade, though ALL becoming her 19th #1 was a huge achivement, as cheapthrills pointed as well, she had many amazing songs that weren't released, like: Caution, 8th Grade, Faded, You Don't Know What To Do, GTFO (which I should have voted for but didn't.. whyyy??), The Distance, Christmas songs..

I'm wondering if Mariah will be featured again in this countdown.. ?
                              it's funny - I was indifferent to #B when it came out, but hearing it again while doing this countdown made me rediscover it, and it really was a great release.

Mimi has one more song that hasn't been revealed, which means it could have just bubbled under or is even higher on the list.

Comment

• There is yet to come a song in the Top 50 that I truly adore.

Lots of overrated songs by some of my favorite artists: Masterpiece (one of her worst songs of the past decade, so boring), Set Fire To The Rain (I prefer any song on 21 over this, though it's still very good), Style (one of her weakest singles ever).

Oh wait. I absolutely adore Only Girl In The World. It's aged well!

Comment

• Lol I always jinx myself.
                                  Originally posted by beredy
                                  When people see your post this is what they see:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

• Also, how did I not remember Masterpiece when it gave us this:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

• My list so far

05. Rihanna - Bitch Better Have My Money
                                      08. Mylène Farmer - Rolling Stone
                                      09. Madonna - Masterpiece
                                      10. Lana Del Rey - Love
                                      12. Christina Aguilera - Your Body
                                      14. Beyonce - Best Thing I Never Had
                                      15. Lady Gaga - The Edge Of Glory
                                      16. Rihanna - Love On The Brain
                                      17. Adele - Set Fire To The Rain
                                      18. Anastacia - Stupid Little Things
                                      19. Nelly Furtado - Waiting For The Night
                                      20. Pink - What About Us
                                      21. Emeli Sande - Hurts
                                      22. Lorde - Yellow Flicker Beat
                                      23. Mariah Carey - Almost Home
                                      24. Kelly Clarkson - Mr. Know It All
                                      25. Mylène Farmer - City Of Love
                                      26. Taylor Swift - Look What You Made Me Do
                                      27. Cardi B - Money
                                      28. Britney Spears - Work Bitch
                                      29. Christina Aguilera - Not Myself Tonight
                                      30. Madonna - Medellin
                                      31. Jennifer Lopez - Medicine
                                      32. Ciara - Dance Like We're Making Love
                                      33. Demi Lovato - Cool Fo The Summer
                                      35. Selena Gomez - Lose You To Love Me
                                      37. Lorde - Glory and Gore
                                      40. Gwen Stefani - Baby Don't Lie
                                      41. Jessie J - Price Tag
                                      42. Alicia Keys - Girl On Fire
                                      43. Rihanna - Needed Me
                                      44. Taylor Swift - Delicate
                                      45. Selena Gomez - Bad Liar
                                      46. Rita Ora - Let Me Love You
                                      48. Ariana Grande - Into You
                                      49. Emeli Sande - Next To Me
                                      Mariah Carey the best singer of all time
                                      My Queen! My Goddess! My Idol!
                                      Forever and always!

Comment

• Totally forgot about this.

I can't believe some of y'all have the NERVE to come for Gaga's TEOG & Shallow, two amazing slow successful pop masterpieces, while voting for trash Madonna has released. Madonna songs this decade were pure NOISE and uninspired garbage. I'd give her some minor props for Girl Gone Wild but the rest is awful and y'all are still voting for it just because she barks in them.

Mariah Carey is also incredibly overrated. Can y'all leave her in Christmas times and stop forcing her appearances in a decade where she actually constantly flopped?

Anyway, mixed feelings about this ranking. I don't remember all last 10+ pages to give comments about everything but:
                                        ​​​​​​- I didn't know Dancing On My Own was from this decade, it just feels like a timeless classic. Too bad I couldn't give it points.
                                        - I'm glad Demi didn't flop, she's really talented.
                                        - National Anthem not making it to the Top 100 is bulls***.
                                        - So many songs I almost voted for! Make Me Feel, Bad Guy, Price Tag, Worth It, Blow comes to mind but there were several.
                                        - What the hell is doing Kiss It Better so high? What a dull song. I'll riot if Work is Top 10, Anti was such a disgusting noise overall.
                                        ​​​​

Comment

• Mariah Carey the best singer of all time
                                          My Queen! My Goddess! My Idol!
                                          Forever and always!

Comment

• Oh lawdt, not this prolonged undercover Kween troll finally unmasking.

Comment

• #Beautiful though cute didn't get my votes because of its fatal flaw.

Too. Much. Miguel.
                                              This ain't gon be easy

Comment

• "Hurts" and "We Can't Stop" are both great.

"Masterpiece" is lovely, but I'm gooped that it's Madge's highest-ranking track here. I do like that her highest is a ballad, though; Madge is underrated as a balladeer.

"Set Fire to the Rain" is terrific. I love it more and more these days.

I never really took to "#Beautiful". It's just okay for me. No hook, no big vocal moment, no poignant lyric - it's just a decent song, and Mimi is so much better than decent.

"Only Girl" is epic! It was my 2010 year-end #1!

"Style" has an incredible chorus!

Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                                                Some of these songs were a struggle to do a write-up for, so it was nice to be able to talk about the controversies on that one. I am DYING to know why it's so high on your list, but I assume it will show up in your countdown where you will go into more detail.
                                                Wholly accurate assumption!

It is high! There's only one Madonna song left, and it will be revealed tomorrow. I'm sure the people who voted for it know what it is, but they don't know yet if it bubbled under or is even higher than this one...
                                                I wouldn't have expected it!

All of Britney's songs have now been revealed. Hold It Against Me apparently was the top 2010s moments for her on the countdown as well. Til the World Ends got 4 voters, but they didn't combine for much and it appears at #269. Britney landed 8 songs on the entire countdown. She previously made the top 10 in the 90s and 00s countdowns.
                                                Ah, good that "Hold It Against Me" is her most popular this decade. It's a worthy rep for Brit Brit!
                                                Akini's Top 400 Songs of the Decade: [2-1!]

Comment

• Someone is mad and pressed
                                                  Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• I feel very attacked that only 1 Aussie voted for Firestarter - Best pop song ever released from Australian singer in the last decade.

Hold It Against Me is the only tolerable song from Britney in last decades (It was a sympathy vote from me actually. Originally, I gave it only 2pts).

I couldn't understand the hype of Set Fire To The Rain. That song was boring and dull after 2 great singles.

#Beautiful deserved to be higher in this countdown.

And I thought dance Rihanna would definitely be in top5. Too bad it stall at #32.

So, this will be the first countdown where Britney and Madge not in Top30 ? I think Mariah is also included here
                                                    Last edited by Spiral; Sun March 8th, 2020, 13:48.

Comment

• We Can't Stop is fun.

Ah yeah Masterpiece was a single from the W.E. movie that ended up on MDNA. Kinda like a Avril and 'Keep Holding On' situation. The Jessie J song with the same title didnt chart (at least not so far..... Haha)

Didn't I read somewhere that Set Fire To The Rain just randomly shot to number 1 on the actual chart based on ITunes or something alone and then they just went with it as a single and slapped that Albert Hall performance as it's video?

#Beautiful is super chill. The Hashtag titling was very of its time in 2013-14 I feel, I can think of will.i.am/Bieber #ThatPOWER and Chainsmokers #SELFIE that came out in those two years.

I remember when Only Girl In The World came out and I heard it on the radio, trying to think If i'd heard it on my skim through of the Rated R album tracks and this was the next single or whether this was a random new release, then it clicked it was a new track for an upcoming album, little did we know this was part 2 of 4 the yearly Rihvember album drops. Very danceable.

Style has a pretty atmospheric ambience also. Funnily enough Harry got a heavily subtle clapback later in 2015 with One Directions Perfect, which sounded like it was loosely mimicking the structure of Style and then there was the 'someone to write your breakup songs about' solo line from Harry in the bridge.

Comment

• Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                                                        "Masterpiece" is lovely, but I'm gooped that it's Madge's highest-ranking track here. I do like that her highest is a ballad, though; Madge is underrated as a balladeer.
                                                        I never think about this, but I have to say she has several ballads that I really enjoy. I still think it's weird it's her highest placement.

Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                                                        I never really took to "#Beautiful". It's just okay for me. No hook, no big vocal moment, no poignant lyric - it's just a decent song, and Mimi is so much better than decent.
                                                        I kind of like the lack of vocal moment - I think she needs songs like that in her repertoire - I passed it over then, but it seems kind of a nice, breezy summer vibe now.

Originally posted by Spiral View Post
                                                        I feel very attacked that only 1 Aussie voted for Firestarter - Best pop song ever released from Australian singer in the last decade.
                                                        I'll have to check it out. I'd never heard of it before now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spiral View Post
                                                          And I thought dance Rihanna would definitely be in top5. Too bad it stall at #32.
                                                          She definitely made her mark on this countdown. As you can see, I was over writing about her. It's part of the reason I did the three per rule. My first countdown was Christmas (or seasonal) songs and I feel like I had to write about, like, ten Mariah Carey Christmas songs.

Originally posted by Spiral View Post
                                                          So, this will be the first countdown where Britney and Madge not in Top30 ? I think Mariah is also included here
                                                          Yes, they both just made the top 40 this time. I'll keep the suspense going on Mariah.

EDIT: Actually, she's in the next set, so you can see for yourself

Didn't I read somewhere that Set Fire To The Rain just randomly shot to number 1 on the actual chart based on ITunes or something alone and then they just went with it as a single and slapped that Albert Hall performance as it's video?
                                                          I don't remember it happening here that way. She hit #1 just before the Grammys that year. I expected her to get a huge boost on the Hot 100 as a result of that Grammy performance... and she did, but it was more noticeable on the album chart. There are some statistics related to that week that I'll have to look up - just remind me since I don't have a moment to look at them now.

#Beautiful is super chill. The Hashtag titling was very of its time in 2013-14 I feel, I can think of will.i.am/Bieber #ThatPOWER and Chainsmokers #SELFIE that came out in those two years.
                                                          Hmm, maybe that's why it annoys me. It feels dated. idk.. I feel like it annoyed me then too

I remember when Only Girl In The World came out and I heard it on the radio, trying to think If i'd heard it on my skim through of the Rated R album tracks and this was the next single or whether this was a random new release,
                                                          Me too, Rih was releasing music like clockwork then. She kept us fed for a decade, and then left us forever

Style has a pretty atmospheric ambience also. Funnily enough Harry got a heavily subtle clapback later in 2015 with One Directions Perfect, which sounded like it was loosely mimicking the structure of Style and then there was the 'someone to write your breakup songs about' solo line from Harry in the bridge.
                                                          Ugh, I wish he had done more of something like that idk tho. I feel like there would be more backlash if we were less subtle.​

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                                                              Spiral: "I feel very attacked that only 1 Aussie voted for Firestarter - Best pop song ever released from Australian singer in the last decade."
                                                              I'll have to check it out. I'd never heard of it before now.
                                                              I submitted it in Vol 1 (IIRC) of UKMixtapes. Here is said ARIA award winning video:

Comment

Working...
                                                              X