No announcement yet.

Top Female-Led Singles Countdown - 2010s - COMPLETED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's quite a set there... bit of 'selfie-pop' you could say? All 5 are pretty inspirational in their way. The Greatest kinda follows a similar soundscape to Cheap Thrills, Skyscraper is classic Demi power ballad, I think it was also when I started to take a bit more notice of her beyond her earlier stuff coming off the back of her turn in Camp Rock.

Praying showed us Kesha's vocal ability, paving the way for This Is Me at the end of 2017. Shake It Out was a great start to the Ceremonials era for Flo + The Machine.

And I voted Living For Love. It has a nice groove to it, the backing singer parts add a little flair to it as well. bit dancy.

And there goes Not Myself Tonight. Bionic was one of the infamous "analysis of an era: what made this seen by some a commercial 'flop'"? case studies of the 2010's.

I thought back then that the accusations of her playing copycat were kindof missing the point/an interpretation of the song itself, particular towards Madonna (and Gaga at the time) that the video could be taken as plain homage in those 'express yourself' scenes and Xtina was quite literally 'not herself' and playing a character/homage, and then with the BDSM/more exteme costumes etc. But anyways as mentioned Bionic will continue to be a talking point of an era.
    Last edited by Affillate; Tue March 3, 2020, 12:56.
    UKMIXtapes Vol.3 | ROUND 9!

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
      It seems to me that big parts of former consumers simply stopped consuming (commercial) music in big quantities and instead got replaced by a small demographic who listen to the same kind of music in masses. So yeah, the solution to more diverse charts and musical landscape seems to be to get the post-college people and the high earners back on the ship again.
      I've always thought that hip-hop was more popular than we realized even in the first half. It just wasn't being purchased - maybe the demographic was younger and hence, less willing to pay, so they turned to youtube or Soundcloud or whatever, and those weren't impacting the charts. Radio had a bigger say on the charts in the first few years too, which lends itself to more easily accessible music that appeal to broader demographics. At least on Billboard.

Comment

• Originally posted by Affillate View Post
        That's quite a set there... bit of 'selfie-pop' you could say? All 5 are pretty inspirational in their way. The Greatest kinda follows a similar soundscape to Cheap Thrills, Skyscraper is classic Demi power ballad, I think it was also when I started to take a bit more notice of her beyond her earlier stuff coming off the back of her turn in Camp Rock.
        Wow, you're right. No wonder I was kind of feeling like I was doing similar write-ups there.

Originally posted by Affillate View Post
        the video could be taken as straight homage in those 'express yourself' scenes and Xtina was quite literally 'not herself' and playing a character/homage. But anyways as mentioned Bionic will continue to be a talking point of an era.
        No, she was being Madonna instead. Kidding, but that's a great point.

Going to post the next set now, which will finish off the lower half of the top 100.

We've got an artist who doubles up in bubbling under AND a different artist doubling up just below the halfway mark...

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• LOTB is so much better than S&M it ain’t even funny.

At least it’s higher than Dull Guy.
                      Originally posted by beredy
                      When people see your post this is what they see:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

• Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                        No, she was being Madonna instead. Kidding, but that's a great point.
                        NMT video was directly intended as an hommage to Madonna herself though. She wanted to pay respect to the visual iconic imagery that have inspired her since she was little, "Express Yourself" being taken as the most obvious pick for her in the Madonna videography. There are exact (and deliberate) scene by scene recreations in the video. So if you read Xtina as Madonna in that video, then the point has gotten across well.

I guess people can't make the distinction between an hommage and ripping off (like the shady Express Yourself cover called Born This Way) so they just box those two together.

​​​​​​Madonna herself has made a career by paying hommage to everything that inspired her. Luckily back then we didn't have SJW and the Internet bullies that are trigger happy and look for the smallest excuse to jump on someone.

NMT didn't deserve bashing back then. It's a good pop song. Not the most original or special one, but it checks all the marks for a good pop electro pop song.
                        I have received many gifts from God,
                        but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post
                          LOTB is so much better than S&M it ain’t even funny.
                          I'm surprised to see S&M above Love on the Brain. S&M is such a generic piece of lyrically retarded electro trash. It's also very ear grating.
                          I have received many gifts from God,
                          but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

• S&M was actually the last song I dropped when doing my list, so it was #51. Not that an extra point would have helped it.

Comment

• "Chained to the Rhythm" is good. "Wide Awake" and "Green Light" are both incredible!

"Heart Attack" is outfitted with all the melodramatic lyrics and vocals that 17-year-old me found irresistible. I still think it's Demi's best song after all these years.

Warms my heart to see "Blown Away" so high. Didn't think it had a real shot to make the top 100. I think it's the best thing Carrie's ever done, which says a lot!

I like "Bad Guy", though I do think it's slightly overrated. Same goes for "Love on the Brain", which is probably the best Anti song.

"S&M" is everything. That Sticks and stones lyric >>>
                              Akini's Top 100 Songs of 2020: [90-86]
                              Akini's Top 25 Albums of 2020: [Starting 12/16]
                              Akini's Top 25 Artists of 2020: [Starting 12/24]

Comment

• S&M is great, but hate the other Rihanna song.
                                I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Comment

• "Heart Attack" is one of Demi's best songs and I didn’t expect it to be that high so yay. "S&M" is a pop gem and "bad guy" is a nice bop but not one of Billie's best.
                                  Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

• “S&M” is actually a great tune and one of Rihanna’s finest singles. I couldn’t vote for it because of the 3 songs per artist rule.
                                    Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                                    Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• I did not vote for Demi by the way.

I looooooooove "Love on the Brain". I just did not vote for it because of the rules. Arguably the best song off ANTI, and definitely one of her best 'ballads' ever. Also the fact that the fanmade video has over +270 million views on YouTube is just crazy.

"S&M" is awful. Never liked it, one of her worst singles in my opinion.

"Wide Awake" is kinda bland, but the video made up for it - it was such a beautiful music video. Honestly I don't think it would've been that successful on the charts if it hadn't been for the music video.

"Chained to the Rhythm" is cute, kinda forgettable though.

Comment

• Just going back for a moment, That Janelle Monae song is a funky track, I think I have seen a bit of that Christine & the Queens one before in a game on here or something too.

Wide Awake was my #3. It's funny of the 3 Complete Confection 'new' tracks I was at the time initially a little surprised she chose this over 'Dressin Up' to follow Part Of Me, but I watched one of the performances and the Lyric video I think and it was a great Ballad style song from her and thematically, such a perfect song to close the Teenage Dream era.

Chained To The Rhythm was a cool song and video. Green Light is a great get up and dance out song from Lorde its got that great building carry along chorus.

Similarly the chorus of Heart Attack has a bit of enunciation gymnastics with the 'Att-aaaaaa-IIII-EEe-AAAAAAAaaa-Accccck'... Rihanna goes a bit slow jam with Love on the Brain (kinda similar in structure to Stay, which charted out a few sets ago). I too cut S&M last minute theres a term I recently saw on reddit for that kindof distorted deep bass sound it uses, its a jam.

Cool to see Carrie Underwood and of course a breakout hit from last year from Billie Eilish.
                                        UKMIXtapes Vol.3 | ROUND 9!

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                                    X