No announcement yet.

Top Female-Led Singles Countdown - 2010s - COMPLETED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh lawdt, not this prolonged undercover Kween troll finally unmasking.
    Originally posted by beredy
    When people see your post this is what they see:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

• #Beautiful though cute didn't get my votes because of its fatal flaw.

Too. Much. Miguel.
      This ain't gon be easy

Comment

• "Hurts" and "We Can't Stop" are both great.

"Masterpiece" is lovely, but I'm gooped that it's Madge's highest-ranking track here. I do like that her highest is a ballad, though; Madge is underrated as a balladeer.

"Set Fire to the Rain" is terrific. I love it more and more these days.

I never really took to "#Beautiful". It's just okay for me. No hook, no big vocal moment, no poignant lyric - it's just a decent song, and Mimi is so much better than decent.

"Only Girl" is epic! It was my 2010 year-end #1!

"Style" has an incredible chorus!

Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
        Some of these songs were a struggle to do a write-up for, so it was nice to be able to talk about the controversies on that one. I am DYING to know why it's so high on your list, but I assume it will show up in your countdown where you will go into more detail.
        Wholly accurate assumption!

It is high! There's only one Madonna song left, and it will be revealed tomorrow. I'm sure the people who voted for it know what it is, but they don't know yet if it bubbled under or is even higher than this one...
        I wouldn't have expected it!

All of Britney's songs have now been revealed. Hold It Against Me apparently was the top 2010s moments for her on the countdown as well. Til the World Ends got 4 voters, but they didn't combine for much and it appears at #269. Britney landed 8 songs on the entire countdown. She previously made the top 10 in the 90s and 00s countdowns.
        Ah, good that "Hold It Against Me" is her most popular this decade. It's a worthy rep for Brit Brit!
        Akini's Top 100 Albums of the Decade: [2-1!]

Comment

• Someone is mad and pressed
          Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• I feel very attacked that only 1 Aussie voted for Firestarter - Best pop song ever released from Australian singer in the last decade.

Hold It Against Me is the only tolerable song from Britney in last decades (It was a sympathy vote from me actually. Originally, I gave it only 2pts).

I couldn't understand the hype of Set Fire To The Rain. That song was boring and dull after 2 great singles.

#Beautiful deserved to be higher in this countdown.

And I thought dance Rihanna would definitely be in top5. Too bad it stall at #32.

So, this will be the first countdown where Britney and Madge not in Top30 ? I think Mariah is also included here
            Last edited by Spiral; Sun March 8, 2020, 13:48.

Comment

• We Can't Stop is fun.

Ah yeah Masterpiece was a single from the W.E. movie that ended up on MDNA. Kinda like a Avril and 'Keep Holding On' situation. The Jessie J song with the same title didnt chart (at least not so far..... Haha)

Didn't I read somewhere that Set Fire To The Rain just randomly shot to number 1 on the actual chart based on ITunes or something alone and then they just went with it as a single and slapped that Albert Hall performance as it's video?

#Beautiful is super chill. The Hashtag titling was very of its time in 2013-14 I feel, I can think of will.i.am/Bieber #ThatPOWER and Chainsmokers #SELFIE that came out in those two years.

I remember when Only Girl In The World came out and I heard it on the radio, trying to think If i'd heard it on my skim through of the Rated R album tracks and this was the next single or whether this was a random new release, then it clicked it was a new track for an upcoming album, little did we know this was part 2 of 4 the yearly Rihvember album drops. Very danceable.

Style has a pretty atmospheric ambience also. Funnily enough Harry got a heavily subtle clapback later in 2015 with One Directions Perfect, which sounded like it was loosely mimicking the structure of Style and then there was the 'someone to write your breakup songs about' solo line from Harry in the bridge.

UKMIXtapes Vol.3 | ROUND 9!

Comment

• Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                "Masterpiece" is lovely, but I'm gooped that it's Madge's highest-ranking track here. I do like that her highest is a ballad, though; Madge is underrated as a balladeer.
                I never think about this, but I have to say she has several ballads that I really enjoy. I still think it's weird it's her highest placement.

Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                I never really took to "#Beautiful". It's just okay for me. No hook, no big vocal moment, no poignant lyric - it's just a decent song, and Mimi is so much better than decent.
                I kind of like the lack of vocal moment - I think she needs songs like that in her repertoire - I passed it over then, but it seems kind of a nice, breezy summer vibe now.

Originally posted by Spiral View Post
                I feel very attacked that only 1 Aussie voted for Firestarter - Best pop song ever released from Australian singer in the last decade.
                I'll have to check it out. I'd never heard of it before now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spiral View Post
                  And I thought dance Rihanna would definitely be in top5. Too bad it stall at #32.
                  She definitely made her mark on this countdown. As you can see, I was over writing about her. It's part of the reason I did the three per rule. My first countdown was Christmas (or seasonal) songs and I feel like I had to write about, like, ten Mariah Carey Christmas songs.

So, this will be the first countdown where Britney and Madge not in Top30 ? I think Mariah is also included here
                  Yes, they both just made the top 40 this time. I'll keep the suspense going on Mariah.

EDIT: Actually, she's in the next set, so you can see for yourself

Originally posted by Affillate View Post
                  Didn't I read somewhere that Set Fire To The Rain just randomly shot to number 1 on the actual chart based on ITunes or something alone and then they just went with it as a single and slapped that Albert Hall performance as it's video?
                  I don't remember it happening here that way. She hit #1 just before the Grammys that year. I expected her to get a huge boost on the Hot 100 as a result of that Grammy performance... and she did, but it was more noticeable on the album chart. There are some statistics related to that week that I'll have to look up - just remind me since I don't have a moment to look at them now.

#Beautiful is super chill. The Hashtag titling was very of its time in 2013-14 I feel, I can think of will.i.am/Bieber #ThatPOWER and Chainsmokers #SELFIE that came out in those two years.
                  Hmm, maybe that's why it annoys me. It feels dated. idk.. I feel like it annoyed me then too

I remember when Only Girl In The World came out and I heard it on the radio, trying to think If i'd heard it on my skim through of the Rated R album tracks and this was the next single or whether this was a random new release,
                  Me too, Rih was releasing music like clockwork then. She kept us fed for a decade, and then left us forever

Style has a pretty atmospheric ambience also. Funnily enough Harry got a heavily subtle clapback later in 2015 with One Directions Perfect, which sounded like it was loosely mimicking the structure of Style and then there was the 'someone to write your breakup songs about' solo line from Harry in the bridge.
                  Ugh, I wish he had done more of something like that idk tho. I feel like there would be more backlash if we were less subtle.​

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                      Spiral: "I feel very attacked that only 1 Aussie voted for Firestarter - Best pop song ever released from Australian singer in the last decade."
                      I'll have to check it out. I'd never heard of it before now.
                      I submitted it in Vol 1 (IIRC) of UKMixtapes. Here is said ARIA award winning video:

UKMIXtapes Vol.3 | ROUND 9!

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Lights is simply divine. One of my favourite songs ever! The first half of the 2010s I was pretty Ellie Goulding mad. Unfortunately she lost her spark, creativity and originality the second half. Lights and Halcyon are still two very solid albums even years later.

As for Samantha Jade, I do feel very un-Australian not voting for Firestarter as it is indeed a banger.
                                  Cheap Thrills is an interesting one because it blew up world wide, but wasn't a huge hit for her in her home country, peaking at only #6 I believe. Still a hit nonetheless.

Oh look I lost 4 songs in a row! ET is my favourite Katy song and one of her only earlier material that I still use regularly. This song is quite a departure from her usual sound. The Kanye West remix is a disaster. How can someone be considered a genius when they write lyrics like "What's next? Alien sex?"....

Born To Die was my album of 2012 and Summertime Sadness is one of its many highlights. It was nice to see her achieve a world-wide hit, despite it being with a basic remix.
                                  The Summertime Sadness chicken vine still is everything https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tkJRkjDn_8
                                  Last edited by GaGarazzi; Sun March 8, 2020, 14:32.

Comment

• I wonder how many of those cheapthrill points were out of respect to the host? It’s cute and all but I could do without it. Not the good sis tho.

Chandelier tho... at one point in 2014 it was my favorite pop song of the decade.
                                    Originally posted by beredy
                                    When people see your post this is what they see:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

• There goes my No.1. I used to like Katy a lot but these past 5 years, I'm kinda bored with her music. E.T is one of the my favourite song of all times. Kanye was a VERY UNNECESSARY addition.

So I was right. Mariah also missed Top10 this time. Kinda funny how all 3 singers didn't reach Top30 on this countdown. But I guess Mimi still win among them

I also like Light. But I only have room for 2 Ellie's song so it is not included.

Comment

• Originally posted by GaGarazzi View Post
                                        Lights is simply divine. One of my favourite songs ever! The first half of the 2010s I was pretty Ellie Goulding mad. Unfortunately she lost her spark, creativity and originality the second half. Lights and Halcyon are still two very solid albums even years later.
                                        I have to agree - I just haven't been captivated by anything she's released - I'd love to see her do something really upbeat. But Lights is still huge for me.

Originally posted by GaGarazzi View Post
                                        Cheap Thrills is an interesting one because it blew up world wide, but wasn't a huge hit for her in her home country, peaking at only #6 I believe. Still a hit nonetheless.
                                        I was wondering about that - it shows as making the top 10 in the Australian year-end chart though (#8) so it was still pretty big, but doesn't look like it ever had a week impactful enough to get to the top five.

Originally posted by GaGarazzi View Post
                                        The Summertime Sadness chicken vine still is everything https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tkJRkjDn_8
                                        That vine is a masterpiece; one of the greatest visual works of art of the 21st century

Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post
                                        I wonder how many of those cheapthrill points were out of respect to the host? It’s cute and all but I could do without it.
                                        How dare you! Every single person, including you - don't deny it, I'll never believe you - voted for it because it is flawless and you will deal. But I'll take undeserved points if I have to

So I was right. Mariah also missed Top10 this time. Kinda funny how all 3 singers didn't reach Top30 on this countdown. But I guess Mimi still win among them
                                        Yes, so #B was her biggest song on the list! Mariah missed getting a third song on the proper 100 by just 4 points.

Comment

• I am not a fan of Lana at all, but Summertime Sadness is a great song and totally love it.

E.T. and California Gurls both are good and still very enjoyable. Same for Cheap Thrills.
                                          I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Comment

• did people vote for SS the original one or the remix?

Comment

• Originally posted by AndiIversen View Post
                                              did people vote for SS the original one or the remix?
                                              They didn't specify. Nobody put "remix" in their submissions though.

Comment

• AndiIversen
                                                AndiIversen commented
                                                Editing a comment
                                                oh ok Thanks! I love both btw

• Originally posted by Erotica View Post
                                              E.T. and California Gurls both are good and still very enjoyable. Same for Cheap Thrills.
                                              That's so sweet. I like to think of myself as an enjoyable person too.

Comment

• My list so far:
                                                [...]
                                                3. Dua Lipa - Be The One
                                                4. Katie Melua - The Flood
                                                [...]
                                                6. Lykke Li - I Follow Rivers
                                                7. Rumer - Dangerous
                                                8. Taylor Swift - Style
                                                9. Carly Rae Jepsen - Run Away With Me
                                                10. Conchita Wurst - Rise Like a Phoenix
                                                [...]
                                                14. The Band Perry - If I Die Young
                                                15. Janelle Monae - QUEEN
                                                16. Lana del Rey - Summertime Sadness
                                                17. Caro Emerald - A Night Like This
                                                18. Lana del Rey - West Coast
                                                [...]
                                                20. Marina & The Diamonds - Power & Control
                                                21. Oonagh - Gäa
                                                22. Nolwenn Leroy - Moonlight Shadow
                                                23. Miley Cyrus - Younger Now
                                                24. Marina & The Diamonds - Primadonna
                                                25. Sweet California - This is The Life
                                                26. Indila - Derniere danse
                                                27. Sia - Cheap Thrills
                                                [...]
                                                30. Caro Emerald - Stuck
                                                31. Lizzo - Juice
                                                32. Melanie Fiona - 4 AM
                                                33. Camilla Cabello - Havanna
                                                34. Billie Eilish - Bad Guy
                                                35. Vanessa Mai - Regenbogen
                                                36. Madeline Juno - Stupid Girl
                                                37. Beyoncé - Formation
                                                [...]
                                                39. Selena Gomez - Bad Liar
                                                40. Katy Perry - Last Friday Night
                                                [...]
                                                42. Janelle Monae - Cold War
                                                43. Rumer - Slow
                                                44. Meghan Trainor - No
                                                45. Imany - Don't Be So Shy
                                                46. Celine Dion - Loved Me Back to Life
                                                47. Aneta Sablik - The One
                                                48. Jain - Come
                                                49. Monrose - This Is Me
                                                50. Kacey Musgraves - Follow Your Arrow
                                                Is it offensive to fall in love with you and everything you do
                                                and everything you stand for?
                                                Could I break through your invisible wall, could I hide my pride for once,
                                                just to tell you that I see more?

Comment

• Katy was really killing it during that era. I was obsessed with "E.T", "California Gurls" and "Teenage Dream". Ironically, the arguably biggest hit off that album "Fireworks" did nothing for me at all.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X