Top Female-Led Singles Countdown - 2010s - COMPLETED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
    Who wuld've thought... At least, we finally know how to handle 'Adele is overrated' comments on here since UKMIxers love her just as much as everyone else out there.

So my No. 1, No. 19 and No. 28 songs are still missing. Which song had which placement on my list - what do you think?
    You and I are one of five people who voted for all top three songs, but the other three haven't been commenting as often, so it's just knowing who got what place at this point. 2/3 of the voters have at least one song in the top three so, so I'm sure you all can puzzle it out

Personally, I LOVE Adele (Sorry, G$ - I LOVE GOAT too, if that makes up for it.) and would have voted for Someone Like You if I hadn't tipped my vote to three of her songs already.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tomer_MC View Post
      Since when it bacame uncool to like Adele? I guess that THAT kind of success does that, I mean it happened for me too with Ed Sheeran - I used to love his + album before he exploded like THAT and now I don't listen to him as much... is it that we love an underdog story and once it happens, we move on.. ?
      I don't think it was ever cool liking Adele (not in the alternative/indie/weird pop kind of way at least). She was just good at singing and had some good songs even though I find them bland for the most part, I get the mainstream appeal.
      I have received many gifts from God,
      but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

• Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post

You and I are one of five people who voted for all top three songs, but the other three haven't been commenting as often, so it's just knowing who got what place at this point. 2/3 of the voters have at least one song in the top three so, so I'm sure you all can puzzle it out

Personally, I LOVE Adele (Sorry, G$ - I LOVE GOAT too, if that makes up for it.) and would have voted for Someone Like You if I hadn't tipped my vote to three of her songs already.
        As long as you don’t have the same feelings for Sherrat, we cool.
        Originally posted by beredy
        When people see your post this is what they see:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

• Goldmoney : After this countdown, I wouldn't be surprised if Sheeran ended up high on the males-equivalent countdown due to his impressive mainstream appeal. Anyone likes at least one song by him and 'Perfect' or 'Shape of You' would probably reach the top 10 on such a chart.
          Is it offensive to fall in love with you and everything you do
          and everything you stand for?
          Could I break through your invisible wall, could I hide my pride for once,
          just to tell you that I see more?

Comment

• This top 10 is certainly producing some...interesting features!

"Born to Die" is magical. It's honestly one of my favourite songs of all-time.

I don't really like "Stronger". I typically love empowerment anthems, but this one is just too basic for me, and I'm shocked that voters ranked this so high! I would've expected it to be in the bubbling under or not even make the list. I knew the GP liked it, but didn't realise UKMixers were so fond of it.

"New Rules" is way too high, in my opinion. That being said, it's my favourite Dua Lipa song so if she had to have a song in the top 10, that was the song I would've wanted to see.

I've been back and forth with my opinion on "Someone Like You", but I think I'm back to thinking it's supremely overrated. I love some of the lyrics, but it's just entirely too slow...in the original Adele mix anyway.

"Hello" is more like it! Easily one of the most-anticipated lead singles of all-time and Adele knocked it out of the park. Great video, too!

I did not expect "Video Games" to outrank "Born to Die"! "Video Games" has some killer lines, so I'm not too displeased to see it so high...though I still think it's too high.

Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
            I know what you're talking about, JSparksFan. 'We Found Love's focus is on the production, so the vocal performance is rather simple: The chorus is basically a line repeated 4 times, the verses follow the same melody without any melodical twist or something. I don't dislike the song, but I'm not a fan of it either.
            Yeah, Rihanna's usually able to bring something interesting and creative to a song that takes it beyond your standard club bop affair, but "We Found Love" stays stubbornly in that lane, which is bleh.

Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post
            Rolling in the Dull, Telephone by Gagz and King and Chandethrill?
            I would love it if these were the top three, and in that order, too!
            Akini's Top 100 Artists of the Decade: [10-8]

Comment

Goldmoney : After this countdown, I wouldn't be surprised if Sheeran ended up high on the males-equivalent countdown due to his impressive mainstream appeal. Anyone likes at least one song by him and 'Perfect' or 'Shape of You' would probably reach the top 10 on such a chart.
              He’ll probably miss the top 40 because he’s so detested here except for one or two people. If spiritboy votes, he might have a shot.

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

• I'm pleased with Someone Like You at #6, I expected Top 3 and I wouldn't agree with it being that high.

Hello is TRASH. I can't believe people actually are rooting for that forgotten song, I think it was just frontloaded and a success by hype alone.

I can't believe I didn't vote for Video Games... WTH??? I voted for National Anthem and Ride instead, I'm so dumb. She could have been even higher, because the minimun I would have given to that perfect song is 40 Points. If the #1 position has less than 40 points difference, i-...

Comment

• I'm far from an Adele fan. But... Hello is such a brilliant song. I really LOVE that song.
                  My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• Don't like the last three songs at all. And I hate Hello and Someone like you so much, really can't stand these two songs. Definitely Adele's worst singles.
                    I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post
                      He’ll probably miss the top 40 because he’s so detested here except for one or two people. If spiritboy votes, he might have a shot.
                      Don't worry my friend i haven't voted in this countdown I would've liked to but i'm so indecisive
                      Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

Goldmoney : After this countdown, I wouldn't be surprised if Sheeran ended up high on the males-equivalent countdown due to his impressive mainstream appeal. Anyone likes at least one song by him and 'Perfect' or 'Shape of You' would probably reach the top 10 on such a chart.
                        It would be interesting; also with the 3 song per artist rules for an artist like One Direction, their group stuff in the first half, all their solo work in the second half. We didn't really get that with DC and Beyonce/Kelly in the 90's Countdown, nor Spice Girls and their solo songs IIRC. Closest here would be 5H and Camila/Normani/Dinah Jane; I don't think there was enough separate votes to consider if they should be counted as separate artists or combined with their feature in the group. anyways.....

Both SLY and Hello had their share of being mega hits at the time. Hello had a great video that screamed comeback. It's almost 5 years again between albums and Adele hasn't really been the type to do much inbetween features to her name out there (bar things like Skyfall), so will be interesting to see if the next lead single (Sep 2020 rumours?) will be a showstopper on the scale of Hello with the anticipation built from being out of the spotlight for a while.

and well done to Video Games, another of Lana's big songs.

I voted 2 of the final 3.
                        UKMIXtapes Vol.3 | ROUND 9!

Comment

• Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                          I remember singing along with this in the car and realizing oh, there's actually not much in the way of lyrics here... or singing You would have thought that was the song that took fourteen minutes to write. Still love the song though.
                          Sometimes it's less about the lyrics and more about the vibe and the atmosphere the song creates. Another example of this is Sweet dreams (are made of this) by Eurythmics. Lyrically it's similarly repetitive but its nonetheless an absolute 80s anthem.

Comment

• So firstly i'm cancelling that description for Video games. I guess you have be in the right frame of mood to really take it all in. The very first time i heard Video games, i was awestruck. Yes it's depressing but that's what makes that song so much more endearing. I also love Born to die (the song) but on a lesser scale. In fact i bought the album on its week of release and iirc it sold 100k+ in its opening week which i really didn't expect, but there was a lot of hype surrounding Lana upon her debut album.

As for Adele, i even stated in my votes that i was voting for the live version of Someone like you as i much prefer the different vocal melody in the chorus. It's a tad screechy on the album version (i.e. the "don't forget me, i beg, i'll remember, you said").

Hello, on the other hand, was monumental. Not since We found love have i been that obsessed with a new single so much upon its release. Everything about Hello is pure perfection and 25 was an amazing album truly worthy of all its success. I agree though with cheapthrills, with album sales getting weaker and weaker as more people opt for Spotify playlists, it'll be interesting to see just how much Adele sells when her next album is released.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post
                              As long as you don’t have the same feelings for Sherrat, we cool.
                              Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
                              I'm not crazy about him - I thought Shape of You was cute and I liked Perfect with Bey joining him (though no idea what possessed her to accompany him) but he wouldn't make a best of 2010s list for me

Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                              This top 10 is certainly producing some...interesting features!
                              "Born to Die" is magical. It's honestly one of my favourite songs of all-time.[/quote]

The Lana del Rey love really caught me off guard. If HC55555 had given Video Games points like he considered, she might have had the #1 song (or come very close).

I don't really like "Stronger". I typically love empowerment anthems, but this one is just too basic for me, and I'm shocked that voters ranked this so high! I would've expected it to be in the bubbling under or not even make the list. I knew the GP liked it, but didn't realise UKMixers were so fond of it.
                              OK, favourite, realise - I didn't realize you did the British spellings

I think Stronger's support was more broad than deep, but I was pleased to see her that high, at least in a "lifetime achievement" sort of way where she's had a number of songs I've enjoyed over the years so it was nice to have something representative.

I would love it if these were the top three, and in that order, too!
                              Hmmm, well let's see how close this prediction is.

Comment

• Originally posted by HC55555 View Post
                                I can't believe I didn't vote for Video Games... WTH??? I voted for National Anthem and Ride instead, I'm so dumb. She could have been even higher, because the minimun I would have given to that perfect song is 40 Points. If the #1 position has less than 40 points difference, i-...
                                38 points is the difference between #1 and #4.
                                Them's the breaks.

Originally posted by RayRay View Post
                                I'm far from an Adele fan. But... Hello is such a brilliant song. I really LOVE that song.
                                Originally posted by Erotica View Post
                                Don't like the last three songs at all. And I hate Hello and Someone like you so much, really can't stand these two songs. Definitely Adele's worst singles.
                                Wow, Adele really got a reaction here. I wonder what the response will be to this top three. I mean Hello was in my top ten, so you Adele-haters can direct your tomatoes over here. I'm not wearing any nice clothes rn anyhow.

Originally posted by spiritboy View Post

Don't worry my friend i haven't voted in this countdown I would've liked to but i'm so indecisive
                                No plans on ever doing a male-led singles countdown. I'd struggle to get, like, three voters I'm sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Affillate View Post
                                  Both SLY and Hello had their share of being mega hits at the time. Hello had a great video that screamed comeback. It's almost 5 years again between albums and Adele hasn't really been the type to do much inbetween features to her name out there (bar things like Skyfall), so will be interesting to see if the next lead single (Sep 2020 rumours?) will be a showstopper on the scale of Hello with the anticipation built from being out of the spotlight for a while.

I voted 2 of the final 3.
                                  SEPTEMBER? Ridic. It's taking so long, I've started to lose interest. As for your votes, you and G$ were the last two voters I entered!

Originally posted by JakeP View Post
                                  So firstly i'm cancelling that description for Video games. I guess you have be in the right frame of mood to really take it all in. The very first time i heard Video games, i was awestruck. Yes it's depressing but that's what makes that song so much more endearing. I also love Born to die (the song) but on a lesser scale. In fact i bought the album on its week of release and iirc it sold 100k+ in its opening week which i really didn't expect, but there was a lot of hype surrounding Lana upon her debut album.
                                  I'll be honest and say I haven't ever really used Lana, and doing write-ups for her was super-difficult for me I thought about asking people to put in a few good words about the songs they love this time around, but considering how hard it was to even get people to vote, I knew that was a no-go. Also, byt the time I got to that one, I was like at what, six break-up songs in a row?

As for Adele, i even stated in my votes that i was voting for the live version of Someone like you as i much prefer the different vocal melody in the chorus. It's a tad screechy on the album version (i.e. the "don't forget me, i beg, i'll remember, you said").
                                  I didn't break out points for versions in this. (For example, Jeremy had the S&M version with Britney on it. That put him past the three per limit if she was included so I took her off and informed him. But even if I hadn't, I would have combined the points with Rihanna's solo version.)

Hello, on the other hand, was monumental. Not since We found love have i been that obsessed with a new single so much upon its release. Everything about Hello is pure perfection and 25 was an amazing album truly worthy of all its success. I agree though with cheapthrills, with album sales getting weaker and weaker as more people opt for Spotify playlists, it'll be interesting to see just how much Adele sells when her next album is released.
                                  Adele has been a sales phenom, but I do contend she's been staying out of the limelight too long. At least with 21, that era went on for awhile, so when she came back, it didn't feel as lengthy being away, but 25's era felt like it was over by the following summer (All eras are shorter with streaming now anyhow.) I am really curious to see what streaming impact she has. I think she'll have a lot of curiosity spins, but I wonder if there will be any lasting impact.

Comment

• OK! About to post our final three songs! I've enjoyed doing the trilogy of countdowns 90s, 00s, 10s and it's weird to think this is all over.

Thanks to the many of you who have been commenting, and making this so fun to host. Trying to wrangle voters is the least fun part of this so a very special thank you to the people who voted so we could have a countdown in the first place

Goldmoney heppolo JSparksFan abi HotPotato aRat abi HC55555 CZB JeremySpears trebor BratzJesuz theMathematician DNK taverner RayRay CandyPerfumeBoy Leo Affillate FreakyFlyBry JakeP Erotica RedSimba luckyONE Spiral MrLeonix Tomer_MC DevilPray Lemo holler888 BratzJesuz Mainshow dylonj

Comment

• Comment

Comment

Comment

• This has conflict of interest written all over it. fff looks like my vote made the difference!

But I’m just sooo glad Adull wasn’t #1!

Comment

• "Telephone" is one of the most iconic collaborations ever. That number 1 is extremely unexpected but I love the song and I was obsessed with it for months back then.
                                              Britney Spears Janet Jackson Christina Aguilera Michael Jackson Selena Gomez Hilary Duff Taylor Swift Justin Timberlake

Comment

• Wow, 5 points difference between Adele and Sia

I'm upset because I hate "Chandelier" Anything but that.

Anyway, big thanks for hosting this cheapthrills, GREAT job.
                                                Last edited by DNK; Sun March 15, 2020, 16:30.
                                                Mariah Carey the best singer of all time
                                                My Queen! My Goddess! My Idol!
                                                Forever and always!

Comment

• WOW at that #1, was unexpected. And 5 points? I thought Adele had this in the bag.

I think Chandelier's video is one of the best ever, it made me a fan of the song back then.

Thanks chepathrills, the effort was worthy, It was a fantastic thread and you exceeded at least my expectations on the visuals and comments.
                                                  Last edited by Leo; Sun March 15, 2020, 16:41.
                                                  VISIT UKmix HOT100 @ Front Desk
                                                  ENJOY Hits in the Mix! weekly chart @ General Music

Comment

• This is how the scores progressed from the halfway point on. #1 song is in yellow and #2 in blue. If you haven't seen the results, go back a page

Spoiler!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X