Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

30 Day Song Challenge - January 2020 (Day 14)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D19:
    Xtina/GoldLink/Slayer/Mobb Deep/KAYTRANADA/2Pac/Snoh ​​Aalegra

Comment

• Day 16: A song that’s a classic favorite

Day 18: A song from the year you were born

Yes, I saw the dinosaurs.

My Likes On Soundcloud
      Last.fm

Comment

• Day 17

Robbie Williams & Kylie Minogue - Kids (2000)
        A few options for this one, looked for some that had a good line for line split as a duet like Me Against The Music (I thought JeremySpears mightve picked) or 4 Minutes. Settled with this. This was pretty rock tinged for Kylie at the time (serving as third single from Light Years, and the second from Sing When You're Winning) and it went #2 in the UK. I'd personally do a bit of lyric reworking as a karaoke track (Such as I most definitely do not 'smoke heavy tar' and come on give yourself a bit more credit Kylie, a woman surely has more purpose than to just simply 'love her man' but aaaanyways...). It was used as the theme for the kid's version ('Junior') of Masterchef Australia in 2010, and Reece Mastin sung it with Kylie in the final of X Factor Australia in 2011. It's a great singalong.

Day 18

Billy Ocean - Get Outta My Dreams, Get Into My Car (1988)

Again lots of great songs here, went with this Billy Ocean Jam.

This song and the album Tear Down These Walls were released in January of 1988, and it reached #1 on the Australian Singles chart (at that point ARIA chart was still coupled with the Kent/Australian Music Report for the first part of '88 as seen when I did the Survivor for this) the week I was born in late April and stayed at the top for 5 weeks. It featured in the soundtrack to the movie License to Drive, and was #1 in several other countries, including Canada, according to wikipedia the most successful single of 1988 there. It peaked #3 in the UK.
        Last edited by Affillate; Mon January 20th, 2020, 11:47.
        UKMIXtapes Vol.3 | ROUND 9!

Comment

• Day 19

Delta Goodrem - Dear Life (2016)
          This one looks at life and kinda has a conversation with it and monologues about different aspects. Delta had a few TV performances of this, including at the 2016 Logie Awards.

Comment

• D9: Outkast - The Way You Move
            D10: Bee Gees - How Deep Is Your Love
            D11: Screechlicia - Fallin’
            D12: Ursher - Yeah!
            D13: Sugarhill Gang - Rapper’s Delight
            D14: Khia - My Neck, My Back
            D15: Kween - I Still Believe
            D16:
            D17: TLC - No Scrubs
            D18: Karyn White - Romantic
            D19: Sugar Ray - Someday
            Originally posted by Kaloki
            I don't understand why WBT still isn't at #1 tbh.

Comment

• Day 18

Comment

• Day 17: A song you‘d sing a duet with someone on karaoke

Manic Street Preachers ft Nina Persson - Your Love Alone is Not Enough

Day 18: A song from the year you were born (1991)

Peppino di capri - Comme e' ddoce 'o mare

Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

• D20:

THE BEST SONG OF ALL THE TIME

Comment

• Day 19

Day20
                    My Likes On Soundcloud
                    Last.fm

Comment

• Day 20:

Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

• Day 20

Fall Out Boy - My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark (Light 'Em Up) (2013)
                        This was a toughie to think of something for. Ended up thinking of this one, Lyrically a lot of it can be taken as the whole imagery of evolution, reinvention, rebirth with the fire motif also signalling into the next single which was The Phoenix. Personally I kinda guess I was beginning a bit of a journey with my 3 year Uni degree at the start of 2013 around that time as well.

It takes on the idea of every now and again clearing the slate, refreshing in different ways, getting fired up to take something on/do something, etc. The band also commented on this interpretation, as it was their return after a few years 'hiatus'. It's also kindof a rallying cry sortof song, ('Gonna need a spark to ignite') with it being used in a few sporting related aspects and movies/adverts. It also has a whole host of other interpretations (as seen on songmeanings, songfacts and Genius Lyrics) because as with a few FOB songs, the lyrics can be fairly descriptive and somewhat cryptic.

Day 21

Joshua Kadison - Jessie (1993)
                        Lots of picks for this one also. This was playing when I was at the shops the other week. Beautiful In My Eyes is another of his songs that was big around that time. It's a bit one of those 'who's it about' since he was dating Sarah Jessica Parker before this song came out. There's another name in this - The cat is called Moses.

Comment

• Day 22

Shawn Mendes - There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back (2017)
                          One of my fave Shawn Mendes songs. I like the flow on this and the title says it all really, free to move forward when theres nothing holdin' you back. Adding to this, it's been used in a few Ford SUV car ads here. Went #4 on the ARIA Chart and #10 on the year end chart of 2017.

Comment

• Day 21

My Likes On Soundcloud
                            Last.fm

Comment

• D23:

Comment

• D24:

Comment

• This thread got kinda messy, but let me try to catch up...

Day 12: A song from your preteen years:

Day 13: A song you like from the 70s:

Day 14: A song you’d love to be played at your wedding:

Day 15: A song you like that’s a cover by another artist:

Day 16: A song that’s a classic favourite:

Comment

• Day 17: A song you’d sing a duet with someone on karaoke

Day 18: A song from the year you were born

Day 19: A song that makes you think about life

Day 20: A song that has many meanings to you

Day 21: A song you like with a person’s name in the title

Comment

• Day 22: A song that moves you forward

Day 23: A song you think everybody should listen to

Day 24: A song by a band you wish were still together

Comment

• Day 19
                                        a song that makes me think about life

Manic Street Preachers - S.Y.M.M.

Day 20
                                        a song that has many meanings to me

Kirkis - Finally

Comment

• Day 15. Adele - Lovesong

Day 16. R.E.M. - Shiny Happy People

Day 17. skipping cause I don't like karaoke, though if I think of sth I'd actually do, will update this

Day 18. Kate Bush - Moments of Pleasure

there are so many for Day 19 that I'll think about it some more
                                          last.fm

Comment

• Day 25: A song you like by an artist no longer living

Comment

• Day 23

Josef Salvat - Open Season (2014/15)
                                              This one was first released in 2014 on an EP then he did a video for it in 2015 and it ended up on the Night Swim Album in 2016. I think it's been used in an advert here and it won the FSC on the forum in March (?) 2016.

Day 24

The Wanted - I Found You (2012)
                                              The Wanted had a bit of a hard time by hitting their stride at the same time another UK boy band by the name of One Direction began to take the world by storm. Interestingly before 'Glad You Came' they had a string of singles (their debut All Time Low went #1 in the UK in 2010, and Glad You Came wasn't even the lead of their second album, 'Gold Forever' was) but they delivered some Jams, and didn't appear quite as I dunno, 'fresh faced' and teen facing as 1D's image at the time (I love them too though).

This particular song has a pretty cool breakdown, and interesting use of falsetto-esque vocals in the chorus. It has two videos also; this one which has a 'parental advisory' for being a little bit violent I guess (bit like the Eskimo Joes song I linked for Day 1) - it has them beating up some kidnappers/gang. The second video is the 'Fan version' - featuring the band playing on some TV set like a 50's/60's era style (think Outkast's 'Hey Ya' video).

They followed this up with the slightly cheesy 'Walks Like Rihanna' with its video homage to boy bands past, then by 2014 they had wound down and some have gone on to some solo work (Max showed up in Season 6 of Glee). One Direction only lasted two more years before disbanding and splitting into solo careers, such can be the nature of pop bands. Anyways, I also enjoy the album track 'Rocket' from them.
                                              Last edited by Affillate; Sun January 26th, 2020, 07:49.

Comment

• Day 25

Ou Est le Swimming Pool - Dance The Way I Feel (2009)
                                                This song reached #16 on the ARIA chart in 2010, and #3 on the Triple J Hottest 100 for 2010 in January 2011 (we've just had the 2019 list yesterday). Although similar to G.R.L. a few years after, the band met with tragedy just when they were starting to gain traction (they supported La Roux on their 2010 tour) as the singer Charles Haddon sadly committed suicide jumping from a telecom mast in the carpark after a show in Belgium in August 2010, after being distressed that he may have injured a fan after a stage dive gone wrong during the show. He was only 22.

The girl recovered, and the remaining band members ended up releasing their album that October with a final single as well as setting up a festival performance featuring a host of artists for mental health charities. The album The Golden Year reached #27 in Australia. The song also has another music video (maybe an earlier version, wikipedia page mentions the song has a slightly remixed version with different vocals and a version with an extra drum track also).

Day 26

Nickelback - Gotta Be Somebody (2008)
                                                Some of the imagery in the lyrics is a little on the cheesy side,(like it dosent need to 'play out like a scene straight off the silver screen' that you're holding out for, similar to Katy Perry's 'Not Like The Movies' with its little analysis that I was thinking about using for the song with many meanings day but I digress); but ITA with the sentiment this song has of it'd be nice to have somebody out there.
                                                Last edited by Affillate; Sun January 26th, 2020, 08:45.

Comment

• Day 21
                                                  A song you like with a person's name in the title

Paolo Benvegnů - Pietre

Day 22
                                                  A song that moves you forward

Raft - Yaka Dansé

Day 23
                                                  A song that I think everybody should listen to

Conan Osiris - Cartomancia

Comment

• Day 25: A song you like by an artist no longer living

My Likes On Soundcloud
                                                    Last.fm

Comment

Working...
                                                    X