BBC Radio 1 Playlist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mykka
    She's been getting radio support from loads of stations like Capital, Kiss, Galaxy, etc...
    Oh right! I only listen to Radio 1 (although I hardly like any of the music they play )

Comment

• Originally posted by UKMusicLova
      Originally posted by mykka
      She's been getting radio support from loads of stations like Capital, Kiss, Galaxy, etc...
      Oh right! I only listen to Radio 1 (although I hardly like any of the music they play )
      I listen to Capital sometimes. They have a better playlist but they play old recurrents far too much. Radio 1 is ok sometimes, but too biased towards indie-rock most of the time. The others are more R&B based.

Comment

• Wow, great for All-American Rejects being A listed, and The Killers.

Glad to see the back of Take That!
        MadeOfBricks Chart of All Time.

Comment

• So the great Kyla and Blame stick on Upfront while we're subjected to ANOTHER week of Katy Perry on A list :-?
          1 pnau |2 Gabrielle Aplin |3 Dotter|4 Sofi Tukker |5 Afrojack

Comment

• Originally posted by SholasBoy
            So the great Kyla and Blame stick on Upfront while we're subjected to ANOTHER week of Katy Perry on A list :-?
            and Kings Of Leon. Its pathetic really.

Comment

• Yeah Katy Perry and Kings Of Leon really need to be ditched, I hate how they persist on keeping such old songs on the A-List, at least relegate them and let something else move up!
              THRILLER’S SOUNDS OF THE 90s

Comment

• I love Hot N Cold but this is ridiculous the song should have been taken off weeks ago

Looks like Shontelle could have big hit

Disappointed but not surprised that Jem has been ignored, but We Walk has been C-listed I thought Fruit Machine was the next Ting Tings single!!
                RIP The Queen Of Disco

Comment

• Originally posted by MadeOfBricks
                  Originally posted by Blondini
                  Originally posted by MadeOfBricks
                  Why on earth is Time To Pretend back?! Surely Weekend Wars is the shoe-in next single?!
                  Because it only peaked at 35, with the resurgence of Kids they want a second wind for their other great song.

Weekend Wars would not make a great single. It would flop dismally.
                  There's still no point, low peak or not, they won't do much better now because there's nobody to convince that it's good - everyone who cares will already have this song. At least "Weekend Wars" or "The Youth" are something new and would push album sales.
                  Not true- rereleases have always happened- and there has always been latecomers who never bought a song the first time. They might want to convince local commercial radio listeners who haven't yet heard them- they realise that there are only three songs that would work in the UK- Weekend Wars is not one of them. And i don't think TV channels like The Box ever played Time To Pretend- not everyone has heard it.

What's going on with the Ting Tings? Has anyone actually heard them playing We Walk?? There's been remixes of Fruit Machine leaked- bizarre!
                  Tony's Charts ft Hits / Albums (11th July 20) - Jessie Ware breaks a record! Plus Jessie Frye, Teenage Joans, AA Williams, Allie X, Samantha Crain, Future Islands, San Cisco, Static-X, Ghum, Liza Owen, Wye Oak, Declan McKenna, Blues Pills, Kid Cudi ft Eminem, Polly Scattergood, Dream Wife, Willie Nelson, Keleketla!...

Comment

• Originally posted by mykka
                    Originally posted by SholasBoy
                    So the great Kyla and Blame stick on Upfront while we're subjected to ANOTHER week of Katy Perry on A list :-?
                    and Kings Of Leon. Its pathetic really.
                    I don't think either of you actually realise quite how much audience research is done by the music team at Radio 1.

Every week, they take a sample of about 400 listeners and ask them what their favourite records are. From the results, they then make a 'Top 10' of the most popular records on the playlist.

Last week, Kings of Leon were in first place (ie, 'Use Somebody' was the average Radio 1 listener's current favourite song), Katy Perry's 'Hot & Cold' was in second, with James Morrison & Nelly Furtado's 'Broken Strings' at number 3.

'Use Somebody' was clearly the firm favourite with listeners last week, so to suddenly remove this from the playlist in the week of its peak popularity would be just stupid. Whilst you, me, and most people on this forum probably heard 'Hot & Cold' when Katy Perry's album leaked months ago, the average member of the British Public takes much longer to get accustomed to a record, which is why they're only really catching onto it and falling for it now. It's a similar case with 'Broken Strings'. This is a song that has been on the Radio 1 playlist for 2 months now but only last week cracked the top 3 favourite songs amongst listeners - which just proves that it can take a long time for a record to really connect with listeners. So you can see that these songs aren't just left on the A-list just for the sake of it.

I appreciate both of you (like most UKMixers) are a few weeks ahead of the pack in terms of hot records, and therefore you must find it frustrating to see Kings of Leon and Katy Perry still on the playlist, but if you were the head of music at a radio station and your listeners told you that these were their two favourite records, surely you would be comitting radio suicide to remove both of them?

And don't get me wrong, I don't like Kings of Leon much either, but I can appreciate that the vast majority of Radio 1's 10 million listeners do.

So I would hardly brand the decisions made by the Radio 1 music team as 'pathetic'.

Comment

• Never have I seen such a carefully constructed "BBC Response"

Gone are the days I guess when Radio 1 had the fastest moving playlist, but then I guess the UK Chart itself has slowed down considerably too.

Thing is, these songs on the A-List still get plenty of airplay on R1 even when removed. It's just so odd to see some songs linger about so long, while bigger hits are removed much quicker.

Comment

• That's pretty much my thoughts Steve, put a lot better than I'd have said!

I still love that Katy Perry song, but they do need to make way for "Thinking Of You" soon enough!

Comment

• 400 listeners? Wow. overwhelming majority!

"Hot N Cold" entered the Top 10 14 weeks ago for Christ's sake, surely it's had more than its fair share!

Radio 1 are meant to be trend-setters and pride themselves on "new music first" but are completely contradicting this by pushing the same old same old down our ears week after week.

Comment

• I work for the BBC too but no such response from me.. admittedly I don't work for Radio 1

I see what you're saying Stevie, I do, but I agree with what Shane said, they can still give these songs a fair amount of spins but make way for the new music they profess their love for more, ie, still play them but remove them from the A-List, they don't seem to move songs DOWN the list so much, just off.

They aren't half as bad as Capital, granted, but if Broken Strings has just made the top 3 for the first time, why is that totally off the playlist? To me it makes sense to slide KoL, Katy and James down to B, maybe C list, and put the newer stuff into the A-List to give it more of a chance.

Just an opinion like!
                            Check out my Top 100 of 2012 Countdown!

Comment

• Well IMO the 2 worst things about Radio 1's playlist are keeping songs on the A-list for weeks on end that aren't even selling well and just as bad are songs that have just had their physical released which does tend to mean a chart climb - so what does Radio 1 do? Removes the song from the playlist :-?
                              RIP The Queen Of Disco

Comment

• If the listeners are telling them they love these songs, why would they take them off?

They should make another playlist with songs that still need playing, but are a bit older. That way, Katy Perry, Kings of Leon, James Morrison etc. will still get regular play, say as much as the B-list, rather that just going from hearing the song all the time to never ever hearing it.

I think the "upfront" thing is abit pointless too, might as well just stick it on the C-list because I hardly ever hear those songs as it is!

Comment

• Originally posted by MadeOfBricks
                                  I think the "upfront" thing is abit pointless too, might as well just stick it on the C-list because I hardly ever hear those songs as it is!
                                  Agreed, these songs get so little play that they're hardly part of the playlist, more just other random songs that DJ's can choose to play off of the playlist once in a while.

Comment

• If the songs are going to get played 'as much as the songs on the B list', why not just move them down to B-list as I suggested?!

Comment

• Dunno, there'd be too many songs on it and it'd look messy!

Comment

• Hmm, maybe. I don't think EVERY old song should drop down, just the really popular ones.. but kept on the A-List they are in overplay danger, IMO, even for those who are casual chart/radio listeners (ie, unlike us!)

Comment

• I think this new list should replace the upfront list, maybe have five or six songs on. Like, right now it'd be Kings Of Leon, The Saturdays, Katy Perry, James Morrison and probably Take That. I don't know how often they'd be played, but often enough to not notice when they slip off but not too often to be sick of it after three months!

Comment

• Go get a job there man!

Comment

• I deserve this job, it can't be that hard!

Comment

• 28/01/09

A-List

The All-American Rejects - Gives You Hell
                                                Lily Allen - The Fear
                                                Coldplay - Life In Technicolour II
                                                Alesha Dixon - Breathe Slow
                                                Franz Ferdinand - Ulysses
                                                The Fray - You Found Me
                                                Kid Cudi vs Crookers - Day N Nite
                                                The Killers - Spaceman
                                                Lady GaGa featuring Colby O'Donis - Just Dance
                                                Daniel Merriweather - Change
                                                Jason Mraz - I'm Yours
                                                N-Dubz - Strong Again
                                                Pink - Sober
                                                Kevin Rudolf featuring Lil'Wayne - Let It Rock
                                                Jordin Sparks - One Step At A Time
                                                Britney Spears - Circus
                                                Tinchy Stryder featuring Taio Cruz - Take Me Back
                                                U2 - Get On Your Boots

B-List

The Airborne Toxic Event - Sometime Around Midnight
                                                Beyonce - Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)
                                                Cage The Elephant - Back Against The Wall
                                                Chase & Status featuring Kano - Against All Odds
                                                Miley Cyrus - Fly On The Wall
                                                Gary Go - Wonderful
                                                Glasvegas - Flowers & Football Tops
                                                The King Blues - Save The World, Get The Girl
                                                Madcon - Liar
                                                MGMT - Time To Pretend
                                                The Prodigy - Omen
                                                Rudenko - Everybody
                                                Jay Sean - Tonight
                                                Shontelle - T-Shirt
                                                Take That - Up All Night
                                                The Ting Tings - We Walk
                                                The View - Shock Horror

C-List

* Akon featuring Kardinal Offishall & Colby O'Donis - Beautiful
                                                * Kelly Clarkson - My Life Would Suck Without You
                                                Empire Of The Sun - Walking On A Dream
                                                * Friendly Fires - Skeleton Boy
                                                Innerpartysystem - Don't Stop
                                                * Kings Of Leon - Revelry
                                                * Ladyhawke - Paris Is Burning
                                                My Chemical Romance - Desolation Row
                                                * Pussycat Dolls featuring Missy Elliott - Whatcha Think About That
                                                * Red Light Company - Art And Crafts
                                                * The Wombats - My Circuitboard City

1-Upfront List

Blame - Because Of You
                                                * Chipmunk - Chip Diddy Chip
                                                Kyla - Do You Mind (Crazy Cousinz mix)

Out:

Kings Of Leon - Use Somebody
                                                Ida Maria - Oh My God
                                                Katy Perry - Hot N Cold
                                                The Saturdays - Issues
                                                Bloc Party - One Month Off
                                                Fleet Foxes - Mykonos
                                                White Lies - To Lose Myself
                                                Little Boots - Stuck On Repeat

Comment

• Thank god for that

Comment

• I know!

Ditching Ida Maria makes no sense though, they go from one extreme to the other.

Amazing to see Alesha on the A-List. Why are they playing "We Walk" when "Fruit Machine" is the new Ting Tings single? Welcome additions from Ladyhawke and PCD though.

Comment

• Hasnt Ida Maria flopped with that, or hasnt it been released? Thank god for the removal though, cant stand the screaming b!tch

Comment

• Originally posted by Thriller
                                                        Why are they playing "We Walk" when "Fruit Machine" is the new Ting Tings single?
                                                        Looking at the release schedule, both are being released.

Comment

• Yeah, unfortunately 'We Walk' is just the 12' release :( Fruit Machine is fully released I think. To be fair they are the two best picks though so it'll help album sales!

Comment

• Haha I didn't see the last update before.. they're reading!

Comment

• 04/02/09

A-List

The All-American Rejects - Gives You Hell
                                                              Lily Allen - The Fear
                                                              Beyonce - Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)
                                                              Chase & Status featuring Kano - Against All Odds
                                                              Coldplay - Life In Technicolour II
                                                              Alesha Dixon - Breathe Slow
                                                              Kid Cudi vs Crookers - Day N Nite
                                                              The Killers - Spaceman
                                                              Lady GaGa featuring Colby O'Donis - Just Dance
                                                              Daniel Merriweather - Change
                                                              MGMT - Time To Pretend
                                                              N-Dubz - Strong Again
                                                              Pink - Sober
                                                              The Prodigy - Omen
                                                              Shontelle - T-Shirt
                                                              Britney Spears - Circus
                                                              Take That - Up All Night
                                                              Tinchy Stryder featuring Taio Cruz - Take Me Back
                                                              U2 - Get On Your Boots

B-List

Akon featuring Kardinal Offishall & Colby O'Donis - Beautiful
                                                              Kelly Clarkson - My Life Would Suck Without You
                                                              Miley Cyrus - Fly On The Wall
                                                              Friendly Fires - Skeleton Boy
                                                              Gary Go - Wonderful
                                                              Glasvegas - Flowers & Football Tops
                                                              The King Blues - Save The World, Get The Girl
                                                              Kings Of Leon - Revelry
                                                              Ladyhawke - Paris Is Burning
                                                              Madcon - Liar
                                                              Pussycat Dolls featuring Missy Elliott - Whatcha Think About That
                                                              Red Light Compay - Arts & Crafts
                                                              Rudenko - Everybody
                                                              The Ting Tings - We Walk
                                                              The View - Shock Horror
                                                              The Wombats - My Circuitboard City

C-List

Chipmunk - Chip Diddy Chip
                                                              * Eminem & Dr Dre & 50 Cent - Crack A Bottle
                                                              Empire Of The Sun - Walking On A Dream
                                                              Innerpartysystem - Don't Stop
                                                              * Lemar - Weight Of The World
                                                              My Chemical Romance - Desolation Row
                                                              * Katy Perry - Thinking Of You
                                                              * September - Can't Get Over
                                                              * Snow Patrol - If There's A Rocket Tie Me To It
                                                              * T.I featuring Justin Timberlake - Dead & Gone

1-Upfront List

* Dan Black - Alone
                                                              Blame - Because Of You
                                                              * Bon Iver - Skinny Love
                                                              * In Case Of Fire - The Cleansing
                                                              Kyla - Do You Mind (Crazy Cousinz mix)

Out:

Franz Ferdinand - Ulysses
                                                              The Fray - You Found Me
                                                              Jason Mraz - I'm Yours
                                                              Jordin Sparks - One Step At A Time
                                                              Kevin Rudolf - Let It Rock
                                                              The Airborne Toxic Event - Sometime Around Midnight
                                                              Cage The Elephant - Back Against The Wall
                                                              Jay Sean - Tonight

Comment

Working...
                                                              X