Urban/R&B Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urban/R&B Discussion

So, i've asked Ben & Carly to open this thread and they said I could give it a try.

So, this is the place where we can share our opinions about the current situation in R&B/Urban music right now, like do you think R&B should stay away from Dance/Electropop? Who will bring R&B back into the mainstream audience? Who will be the biggest seller in 2012? What's your most anticipated R&B/Urban records in 2012 and is Hip-Hop making a comeback in the mainstream music scene (at least in the USA: Kanye/Jay-Z, Lil' Wayne, Big Sean, Drake, Nicki Minaj)?

And these are several to-be-released Urban/R&B albums in 2012:

Alicia Keys TBA
    The hot momma is currently in the studio recording materials for her next album. You still mad that she's not releasing the video for "Put It In A Love Song"? Yeah, me too. Can't wait for this though, one of the best female singers of all time!

Ashanti TBA
    The R&B beauty is ready to come back with her fifth studio album and the hip-hop-flavored first single "The Woman You Love" (feat. Busta Rhymes) is hitting the airwaves right now.

Brandy TBA
    Brandy & Monica are re-uniting for B's upcoming album plus recently she also hints that a Drake collaboration is on the way. Frank Ocean, Bangladesh & Chris Brown are also some big names that will be involved on the album.

Bruno Mars TBA
    The megastar is currently preparing for his sophomore record. After mixing several elements in Doo-Wops & Hooligans including Pop, Soul, R&B, Reggae, Hip-Hop, Rock N Roll & Alternative, what do you think will Bruno bring with this one?

Chris Brown Fortune
    After the big success of F.A.M.E., the controversial singer sets to release a follow-up called Fortune sometime in March this year. It will be Chris' first album under his new label, RCA. The first single "One Of Those Nights" feat. will.i.am is set to drop later this month.

Diggy Simmons TBA
    The teen rapper is already getting some loves from UKMIX. And he said he's gonna stay away from cursing on every of his song. Plus, his debut album is on the way.

Frank Ocean TBA
    Even though it's only a mixtape, Nostalgia, Ultra was very highly-praised last year and among some of the critics' best albums in 2011 and he'll be probably releasing his debut this year.

Jesse McCartney Have It All
    Jesse moved into the R&B route with his third studio album Departure and now that he's preparing for the follow up, everything seems to be flopping. The first single flopped, the album leaked and nobody cares, and the list goes on.

Jordin Sparks TBA
    Not sure whether I should categorize her music as Pop or R&B, but after promoting her new movie Sparkle which also stars Whitney Houston & Cee-Lo Green, the American Idol winner also sets to release her 3rd studio album which is rumoured to will have more R&B sound. Jordin also will be appearing on the movie's soundtracks, produced/written by R. Kelly.

Jojo Jumping Train
    Jojo was really big back then with songs like "Too Little Too Late" and "Leave (Get Out)". But now, she's struggling to get her audience back even though her "Marvin Room" rendition was very well-received on the net. Plus seems like she's still having some troubles with the label. Do you think Jojo can make it?

Justin Bieber Believe
    The teen sensation is expecting to release another album this year and it will definitely have more mature sounds and will be adopting some Hip-Hop elements as well as he's working with Kanye West, Drake, will.i.am, Bangladesh and more in this project.

Mariah Carey TBA
    I'm not sure about this one but based on a few comments I've read, I think she'll be releasing her next album in 2012. Are you excited for it? Could it be The Emancipation of Mimi 2.0. success-wise?

Nicki Minaj Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded
    The female rapper will be releasing a Pink Friday follow up in this year's Valentine Day under her alter ego, Roman Zolansdkjajhsdodi. I used to be a stan but I personally sick of her right now trying to be Barbie, Roman, this, that whatever. Plus the first two (promo) singles are crap.

Trey Songz Chapter 5
    The R&B crooner is also currently recording for the upcoming album. And he said it's gonna be his best one yet. But if by "the best" he means "more baby-making jams" then #imnothereforthat. But it's Trey Songz anyway, what can you expect?

Rihanna TBA
    Well, actually there's still no actual confirmation for this but based on the fact that she's Rihanna, I bet there'll be another album coming later this year.

Usher TBA
    The KING is back y'all! Will he be the one who brings R&B back to the top?

Ok so now, I'm gonna see how far the discussion will be. And if this thread is unnecessary and all the discussion could be belonged in single/album threads, feel free to lock this.

Re: Urban/R&B General Discussion

Originally posted by abi
    So, this is the place where we can share our opinions about the current situation in R&B/Urban music right now, like do you think R&B should stay away from Dance/Electropop? Who will bring R&B back into the mainstream audience? Who will be the biggest seller in 2012? What's your most anticipated R&B/Urban records in 2012?
    Well, first of all I think this topic is a great idea! Second of all, R&B should stay faaaaaaar away from Dance/Electropop. I miss the good old R&B, with old school samples and really cool beats.

Well, I think that Beyoncé already brought R&B a little bit back with "4", but probably Bruno Mars and Alicia Keys will push R&B up with their next record. And of course, Miss Mariah Carey! Also, Mariah is the one i'm most excited to hear from. I reallllly hope she has the "TEOM 2.0" type of success, I need that!

And finally, Bruno Mars, Alicia, Mariah, Nicki, JoJo (I miss her so much) and Frank Ocean are the ones i'm looking forward to

Comment

If I'm honest I've lost quite a lot of interest in urban releases in the last few months as nothing has really been that good. I'd kill for more artists like Jazmine Sullivan or MJB at the moment but apart from Elle Varner blowing up (which is probably quite unlikely) I can't see it happening.

Comment

Love that you got permission for this topic abi!

I love that Hip-Hop is making a big comeback in the US, I hope that the UK can follow suit, although I love how grime music is doing really well at the minute over here. I'd love for something like 'Ni**as In Paris' or 'The Motto' to be a massive UK hit though. Rap music was really good last year as a whole.

I don't mind R&B mixing with dance - but I'd rather artists took inspiration from 90s house music than slapping a generic electro beat over a song. Real R&B really needs to come back though. I don't think 2011 had that many great R&B albums, although '4', 'Nostalgia, Ultra', 'F.A.M.E.' & Mary J's album's were all great. There was definitely a lack of R&B though, with Jessie J and Katy B mixing it in with other genres and producing great results for me.

I think euphoric, lo-fi R&B is the way forward. Think Frank Ocean, Alicia's 'Un-thinkable' and Beyoncé's 'I Care'. It would be amazing 80s new jack swing and 90s especially R&B influences were big in R&B this year.

I'm mega excited for Alicia Keys' next album, I hope she gives us a real classis R&B record. I really liked Bruno at first, but his music bores me now. He'll have to switch it up big time to keep me interested. I hope 'Fortune' is as good as 'F.A.M.E.' and that Chris delivers with the singles again this year. Usher better give us something better than his last record. It was good, but not up to his usual standards.

I hope Rihanna doesn't give us an album in 2012. I'd rather she waited a bit and gave us something much better than 'Talk That Talk'. I have no idea what to expect from Mariah, but after her last album my expectations aren't very high. I hope Nicki's album is good, although nothing that's been released from it so far has been very good. It'll be interesting to see what happens with Ashanti, Brandy and Jojo - but they're bound to flop sadly. :( Hopefully their music will be quality though.

Jazmine Sullivan better release a new album this year! Her two records (especially 'Love Me Back') are two of my favourite R&B albums ever, so I hope she does well. Frank Ocean is the future of music. It's just so atmospheric. No doubt his debut album will be genius. I'm also really excited to hear Kanye's new album/G.O.O.D Friday project, plus Lupe Fiasco & Pharrell's collaboration album. Hopefully they'll be top quality. Elle Varner's debut is really exciting me as well.

I think that I'm most excited for UK R&B albums this year though. I can't wait for Yasmin's debut. It's going to filled with trip-hop, jungle and dub influences. She has a perfect taste in music and takes it back to the 90s, so I'm sure it will be one of my favourites of the year. Emile Sandé's album will also be great. She has a great with way lyrics and melodies, I just hope there's some more trip-hop in the album as it suits her voice perfectly. Maverick Sabre's upcoming album will also hopefully blow my mind. His voice is so unique, I love the melancholy he adds to music. 'Lonely Are The Brave' deserves to be a massive soul album. I'm also really excited to hear Delilah's debut album. Her voice sends chills up my spine, I love how raw and dark her songs are.
        late.

Comment

I'd love that late 90s/early 2000s brand of R&B to come back!

I've been loving songs like Bills Bills Bills, No Scrubs, Foolish, I Should Have Cheated, Let Me Love You, Ice Box, Again, Be Without You, We Belong Together, Me Myself & I, Don't Care Who Knows, Heard It All Before etc etc. I loved that era of R&B!

Comment

I think R&B and Urban music really suffered in 2011 for me. Apart from about 5 artists/albums, I found everything else completely mundane, generic and cheap. For the best part of the past decade, I've been an insane R&B fan, and now nothing excites me.
            Only the likes of Brandy, Monica, Macy Gray, Toni Braxton (that 'era' of R&B if you will) are the artists I'm still interested in and will continue to enjoy.

I hope with the new releases of Brandy, Monica and Macy Gray will reignite my love for R&B!

I think R&B became lazy in the past two years. I strongly believe that artists had a choice whether to go down the dance route (which, sadly, many seemed to take) or not. Keyshia Cole refused the dance craze and released a bland and mundane R&B album where the only highlight was her Nicki Minaj collab.

Comment

I'm looking forward to albums from:
              Ciara
              B.o.B
              Mariah
              Miguel
              Brandy
              Frank Ocean
              Jazmine (Hopefully she's going to come back and release an album this year!)
              Monica
              Alicia
              Chris Brown (F.A.M.E was really good, but i'm not having too much faith in this)
              Usher (Hopefully it wont be too poppy - I want an R&B album!)
              Mary J. Blige (Act 1 of My Life 2 is great, so i'm definitely looking forward to Act 2 if it's not scrapped!)
              Ludacris
              Jay-Z
              Nicki Minaj (Pink Friday was good, so hopefully she wont dissapoint like i think she will)
              Keyshia Cole
              Eve
              Missy Elliott

Of couse i might have forgotten some, but here you have a good list!

Comment

Apart from the usual's that I am excited for, I am most excited about Emeli Sandé's debut album!

Comment

Thanks for the responses so far.

Originally posted by crazycool
                  ...refused the dance craze and released a bland and mundane R&B album...
                  Couldn't agree more. I found almost every R&B album that stays away from the Dance route is bland overall (well, expect 4) apart from its singles.

And, most of R&B ballads nowadays are crap lyrically. I don't mind 2-3 lines talking about sex and stuff but a whole song about sex is pretty much annoying. It was fine at first with songs like "Take You Down" and "Trading Places" and now all I see on the Urban chart is songs like "No BS", "Sex Ain't Better Than Love", "Neighbors Know My Name" etc. I mean like what's so hard making songs about life in a positive way that you can relate to ("Here I Stand", "I Was Here").

Comment

I'm excited for people I believe are going to push R&B a bit further than the norm and those are:

Solange, Emeli Sandé, Yasmin, Ashanti, Brandy, Tamia, Rita Ora, The Weeknd, Frank Ocean, Alicia Keys, Melanie Fiona, Bridget Kelly, Maverick Sabre, Tanya Lacey and Elle Varner.

In terms of rappers, I like that this year there seems to be a resurgence of female rappers!

Nicki Minaj, Azealia Banks, Lady Lehsurr, Missy Elliott, Mz Bratt, Reema Major and Eve will hopefully all release AMAZING albums!

Also excited for StooShe to hopefully become the new big urban girl group!

Comment

No excited at all about this year

RNB stars are just bleh atm
                      Forever Young

Comment

I hope RnB will smash this year like it did in 2005,2004 etc.
                        P=MC2's Top 20
                        Originally posted by Merci
                        Poszilicious, pussy served delicious!

Comment

How could I forget Rita Ora and Azealia Banks?! I'm majorly excited for their debuts.
                          late.

Comment

I'm really excited for:

Azealia Banks
                            Nicki Minaj (the singles suck but I'm still hyped)
                            Alicia Keys
                            Ashanti (VERY excited)
                            Brandy
                            Frank Ocean
                            Ciara
                            The Weeknd

& (not getting my hopes up) but Missy & Eve.

Comment

the most exciting artists this year.....undoubtedly...
                              ALICIA KEYS

USHER

Comment

I'm very excited for the G.O.O.D music album
                                & new LPs from:
                                John Legend
                                Kanye West
                                Bruno Mars
                                Alicia Keys
                                Frank Ocean

Comment

Honestly? I'm looking forward to an album from Mariah Carey the most. It's been way overdue now. :( Her last album came out in 2009, I just miss her so much.

Others:

Frank Ocean
                                  Rita Ora
                                  Bruno Mars
                                  Alicia Keys

I won't mention my 2 other R&B favorites right after Mariah (Rihanna & Beyonce) seeing as we got new music from them last year.

Then there's Janet of course. I'm feening for a brand new Janet album. But she's not really R&B so...
                                  DEBBIE GIBSON 2020

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverYoung
                                    I won't mention my 2 other R&B favorites right after Mariah (Rihanna & Beyonce) seeing as we got new music from them last year.

Then there's Janet of course. I'm feening for a brand new Janet album. But she's not really R&B so...
                                    I have not listened to a full Janet album, but isn't she much more R&B than the current Rihanna?!

I have enjoyed some of her songs lately though, so i would like to hear new stuff too!

Comment

Great thread idea Abi!

Hmmm.... 2012 looks like it's going to be an interesting year for R&B/Hip Hop.

First, i'm hoping that Diggy finally gets that breakthrough he so deserves.

I'm also hyped for new Alicia Keys & Mariah. Alicia, especially, seeing as she's got Emeli working on her record. B

I fell out of love with MJB a long ass time ago, so whatever she releases this year... whatever.

I hope Bridget Kelly's album finally gets released too, but i wouldn't count on it.

J.Cole's planning to put out a new album at the end of the year, so i'm excited for that too.

And of course, my boy Bruno will be releasing as well.
                                      Photoshoot fresh... I'm about to call the paparazzi on myself.

Comment

Really looking forward to:

Usher
                                        Brandy (!!!!!)
                                        Ciara
                                        Mariah Carey
                                        Keyshia Cole
                                        Nicki Minaj
                                        Ashanti (!!!!!)

Comment

Originally posted by Wmosi
                                          I fell out of love with MJB a long ass time ago, so whatever she releases this year... whatever.
                                          Gurl, I will not allow you to shade the hood queen! "My Life II..." was slept on severely but it sh*tted on your faves!

Comment

Originally posted by therealestMC
                                            Originally posted by Wmosi
                                            Gurl, I will not allow you to shade the hood queen! "My Life II..." was slept on severely but it sh*tted on your faves!
                                            Keyshia took that crown from Mary the moment I Should've Cheated was unleashed upon the world.
                                            Plus she's releasing this year, and she ain't playing this time around. It's a wrap.

Lol, anyway, i've heard good things from you guys about My Life II from you guys so i guess i'll give it a chance.
                                            Photoshoot fresh... I'm about to call the paparazzi on myself.

Comment

^Keyshia's crown was taken back to Burger King once "I Ain't Thru" dropped.

Comment

Originally posted by therealestMC
                                                ^Keyshia's crown was taken back to Burger King once "I Ain't Thru" dropped.
                                                DEAD!

But yeah, Keyshia needs to get her act together, everything since Just Like You has been crappy in my opinion! I'm also wanting Brandy to pull it together as well, Human was fantastic but I'd love to see her come back with a mix of Afrodisiac and Full Moon.

Comment

Originally posted by emilhot
                                                  I have not listened to a full Janet album, but isn't she much more R&B than the current Rihanna?!
                                                  Now that you mention it, Janet, just like Rihanna, straddles the line between Urban and Pop effortlessly. I'd actually classify Janet as a Dance-Pop act with urban and rock flavor - same with Rihanna.

Janet's most urban album was "20 Y.O." I reckon.
                                                  DEBBIE GIBSON 2020

Comment

Working...
                                                  X