Urban/R&B Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wardo
    I know I'm late but I discovered Anthony Hamilton thanks to Freedom, that's in the Django Unchained soundtrack, and then I downloaded Back To Love because of the great Best Of Me, which charted in 2013.

The album is a bit inconsistent, but it's worth the listen. Anyone to recommend me any of his previous albums?
    His album Comin From Where I'm From is soo good. and his song "Pass Me Over" is beautiful!

Comment

• Originally posted by Born_To_Do_It
      The Show: R&B Superstars returns to Londonís Wembley Arena on 16th November 2013 with yet another sensational line-up of R&B legends. Presented by Just Live Music Group, The Show: R&B Superstars looks set to be the UKís biggest R&B music event following the phenomenal sold out show earlier this year.

R&B divas and sisters of soul, Kelly Price and Faith Evans, will take to the stage alongside the gentleman of Rhythm and Blues; Mario, Donell Jones and Blackstreetís Dave Hollister. Performing alongside them, Ginuwine, Sisqo, Bobby V, Chico DeBarge, J. Holiday and Adina Howard will be showcasing their biggest hits and R&B classics on the very same stage.

The lineup is easily described as Ďthe trailblazers of R&Bí, collectively responsible for hit after hit, anthem after anthem. Itís these R&B Superstars who are responsible for creating some of the biggest sounds in R&B history:
      For anyone interested there are some good quality videos on youtube for alot of the songs performed at this show.
      The best youtube channels I found are:
      Roger Louison (scroll past the Lil' Kim ones)
      T1AAJ
      errol boxing
      LysiaGregory
      Rochelle Arthurs

I haven't had a chance to watch these again properly so I can't say if the energy in the arena translated well in these videos but I can say it was an awesome show full of R&B which although was not sold out, but it was near to full capicity (full capicity is roughly 12,500). It brought back alot of nostalgia and reminded me that R&B aint dead and there is still a demand for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Runnin2TheSun
        Originally posted by Wardo
        I know I'm late but I discovered Anthony Hamilton thanks to Freedom, that's in the Django Unchained soundtrack, and then I downloaded Back To Love because of the great Best Of Me, which charted in 2013.

The album is a bit inconsistent, but it's worth the listen. Anyone to recommend me any of his previous albums?
        His album Comin From Where I'm From is soo good. and his song "Pass Me Over" is beautiful!
        Thanks, gonna check it!

Comment

• Can anyone recommend me good R&B albums by male artists? Probably similar to the likes of classic Usher/Chris Brown/Ginuwine. Please don't say R. Kelly's new album or something hard to listen to like The Weeknd.

Comment

• ^Try Trey Songz's Chapter V. It's kinda old though. Justin Bieber has some good bops on his new album too, "Rollercoaster" & "Backpack".

Anyway, what do y'all think of the current state of R&B/Hip-Hop music? The biggest selling album & single of 2013 were R&B by white singers. And believe it or not, Lorde's "Royals" is currently #7 on Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Airplay (peaked at #5).

Comment

• Originally posted by abi
              ^Try Trey Songz's Chapter V. It's kinda old though. Justin Bieber has some good bops on his new album too, "Rollercoaster" & "Backpack".

Anyway, what do y'all think of the current state of R&B/Hip-Hop music? The biggest selling album & single of 2013 were R&B by white singers. And believe it or not, Lorde's "Royals" is currently #7 on Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Airplay (peaked at #5).
              Last year was good for REAL RnB we actually had smashes ( if you ignore JT and blurred lines wouldn't refer them as RnB if we are talking about the state of RnB)
              Forever Young

Comment

• So far R&B is or rather seems like It's on the rise again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cless
                  Can anyone recommend me good R&B albums by male artists? Probably similar to the likes of classic Usher/Chris Brown/Ginuwine. Please don't say R. Kelly's new album or something hard to listen to like The Weeknd.
                  Craig David - Born To Do It
                  Mario - Go!
                  Tank - Sex Love Pain
                  The Evolution of Robin Thicke
                  Ne-Yo - In My Own Words, Year of the Gentleman, Because of You
                  Trey Songz - Just Gotta Make It, Trey Day, and Ready
                  Miguel's - All I Want Is You & Kaleidoscope Dream
                  Van Hunt
                  Maxwell - BLACKsummers'night and Urban Hang Suite
                  John Legend - Get Lifted and Once Again
                  Steven A. Clark - Fornication Under Consent of the King

Anyway, I do think R&B is definitely slowly on it's way to commercial resurgence.

Comment

• I just made a list of upcoming (hopefully 2014) Urban (and Urban-related) releases:

Agnez Mo TBA
                    Ariana Grande TBA
                    Ashanti Braveheart
                    August Alsina Testimony
                    Candice Glover Music Speaks
                    Chris Brown X
                    Chris Brown & Tyga Fan of a Fan 2
                    J. Holiday Guilty Conscience
                    Jay Sean The Mistress Part 2: Room Service (mixtape)
                    Jesse McCartney In Technicolor
                    Jennifer Lopez TBA
                    Jojo TBA
                    Jordin Sparks TBA
                    Justin Bieber TBA
                    K. Michelle Still No ****s Given (mixtape)
                    Kid Cudi Satellite Flight: The Journey to Mother Moon
                    LeToya TBA
                    Lil Wayne The Carter V
                    Mariah Carey The Art of Letting Go
                    Maxwell BlackSUMMER's Night 2
                    Mike Posner PAGES
                    Nicki Minaj The Pink Print
                    Pharrell TBA
                    Sevyn Streeter TBA
                    T.I. Paperwork: The Motion Picture
                    Trey Songz Trigga
                    Tyga The Gold Album: 18th Dynasty
                    Usher TBA
                    Young Money Rise of An Empire

I'm excited for Chris, LeToya, Usher and of course, Pharrell! I was really anticipating Ashanti's 'comeback' at first but I don't know what to feel right now after hearing some of her recent materials.

Comment

• no kelis?

Comment

• ^Wait, so she Ashanti'd her album? I thought it's released last year, I think it's called F.O.O.D. or something...

Comment

• wtf

Comment

• Chris Brown & Tyga Fan of a Fan 2

Wtf lol.

Looking forward to:

Kid Cudi Satellite Flight: The Journey to Mother Moon
                            T.I. Paperwork: The Motion Picture
                            Trey Songz Trigga
                            Pharrell TBA
                            Maxwell BlackSUMMER's Night 2
                            Tyga The Gold Album: 18th Dynasty

Excited for:

Usher TBA
                            Nicki Minaj The Pink Print

I have no expectations for Chris Brown's album. Dunno. Not really looking forward to it.. But I will check it out.

BUT, where's Miguel? :-?

Comment

• Originally posted by Plym
                              wtf
                              which part of my sentence were you laughing at? (Ashanti = delay)

Originally posted by truthless
                              Chris Brown & Tyga Fan of a Fan 2

Wtf lol.
                              Dude, the first part of Fan of a Fan produced their best song to date, known as "Deuces".

Oh I didn't know Miguel's releasing too, I thought that "Simpe Things" song was for a movie or sth.

Comment

Originally posted by Plym
                                wtf
                                which part of my sentence were you laughing at? (Ashanti = delay)
                                kelis's album has never been delayed and its just called food. no dots.
                                common has an album coming out too, i made a thread

Comment

• I never knew they had a collabo album/mixtape out . I might check the upcoming one out.

And nah I never liked Deuces so .

And that was a question to you. Isn't Miguel releasing a new album this year? :/

Comment

• Forreal? For some reason I thought it's your favorite song from Chris Brown as well.

Comment

• No .

My favourite song/s would be Look At Me Now, With You and Forever.

Although Deuces isn't that bad. I have to say, I never listened to it that much to begin with. Lemme download it again.

Comment

• didnt K. Michelle drop her mixtape 2 days ago?
                                        P=MC2's Top 20
                                        Originally posted by Merci
                                        Poszilicious, pussy served delicious!

Comment

• Originally posted by truthless
                                          Although Deuces isn't that bad. I have to say, I never listened to it that much to begin with. Lemme download it again.
                                          #MyImpact. It's a great song.

Originally posted by PosziMC2
                                          didnt K. Michelle drop her mixtape 2 days ago?
                                          Gosh I'm so behind when it comes to these irrelevants. Thanks for reminding me Mother Mattsa.

Comment

• Coming back to Miguel now.

http://www.nme.com/news/miguel/75107

So he's working on the album and J.Cole feature seems to be confirmed. Great! Jessie Ware is also interesting. I'm not familiar with her work, so that might turn out to be interesting.

Comment

• Can someone please list some great danceable, gritty (possibly a little dark) R&B/Hip-Hop song? Up And Down being a good example, but yeah... Thanks!
                                              Luc

I have hatred towards the entire world,
                                              and you are no exception

Comment

• Originally posted by Vindrag
                                                Can someone please list some great danceable, gritty (possibly a little dark) R&B/Hip-Hop song? Up And Down being a good example, but yeah... Thanks!
                                                Don't know about dark but check out Busta Rhymes' Thank You out. Really a great track and I think dancable to it too,

Comment

• Can't wait for the White Chocolate Goddess JoJo to slay.
                                                  Originally posted by snoh aalegra

- Ugh, those feels again

Comment

J. Holiday Guilty Conscience
                                                    This was actually released on 28th January 2014 via his own record label "Holiday Music Group (HMG)" along with "Music Line Group" hence why there has been little to no promo.

Most that have actually heard it have given it 4/5 ratings or higher. Check the reviews, interviews etc. in the thread I made if you're interested. I would recommend it to anyone if you like proper R&B!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X