Urban/R&B Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by therealestMC
    ^Keyshia's crown was taken back to Burger King once "I Ain't Thru" dropped.
    LMAO I just choked.
    Too much
    "What goes around comes back around my baby"

Comment

I really cant with this!
      P=MC2's Top 20
      Originally posted by Merci
      Poszilicious, pussy served delicious!

Comment

OMG.
        Keyshia looks like she'd kill it at 'Wendy's' though.
        Photoshoot fresh... I'm about to call the paparazzi on myself.

Comment

Originally posted by abi
          And, most of R&B ballads nowadays are crap lyrically. I don't mind 2-3 lines talking about sex and stuff but a whole song about sex is pretty much annoying. It was fine at first with songs like "Take You Down" and "Trading Places" and now all I see on the Urban chart is songs like "No BS", "Sex Ain't Better Than Love", "Neighbors Know My Name" etc. I mean like what's so hard making songs about life in a positive way that you can relate to ("Here I Stand", "I Was Here").
          100% agree with you there! To me, it seems like it started around the time of Trey Songz's Ready, where a lot more graphic sex songs were being created! After the success of Ready it has increased a lot! If you got like 1 or 2 songs on an album like that, then its okay... but it seems like these are the only songs getting released to radio!

The thing is people should realise that Ready had some other really good songs too which made it the success it was, like: One Love, Say Aah, Black Roses, Love Lost, Holla If Ya Need Me, Yo Side Of The Bed. I really want to hear more of those kinds of songs again being played on TV and Radio!

R&B needs to go back to real R&B, not this generic Electro/Dance-Pop stuff. I think the main people who have the power to bring R&B back into the mainstream are the main international stars like Beyonce, Alicia Keys, Usher, Chris Brown, Ne-Yo, Rihanna, R. Kelly and to a lesser extent the likes of Brandy and Ashanti. The main thing is that they all need to do it!

The question is, are people like Usher, Chris Brown, Ne-Yo and Rihanna (who seriously needs to go away!) going to come with R&B albums or go 50:50 with half R&B, half Pop? Because it isn't going to work if they are going to purposely release Pop songs to sell singles and tours for money etc. They only release the R&B songs to feed their R&B fans, but really they seem to be caring more about selling millions than their true fans.

Not to say that there hasn't been any good R&B over the last year or so. There has been good R&B, but most of it seems to goes unnoticed for whatever reason:
          Joe - The Good, The Bad, The Sexy (solid R&B album: Losing, Time Of Your Life, Almost There, Dear Joe, Impossible etc.)
          Tank - Now Or Never (solid R&B album: Showtime, Sex Music, Celebrate, Emergency, I Can't Make You Love Me etc.)
          Miguel - All I Want Is You (solid R&B album: Sure Thing, All I Want Is You, Girls Like You, Hard Way, Teach Me etc.)
          Frank Ocean - Nostalgia, Ultra (different kinda album which worked well: Novacane, Swim Good, Nature Feels, Strawberry Swing etc.)
          Bobby V - Fly On The Wall (solid R&B album: Are You The Right One, Words, Sweetness, Rock Wit'Cha, Hang On, Altered Ego, Last Call For Love etc.)
          Lloyd - King Of Hearts (decent R&B album: Lay It Down, Jigsaw, Be The One, Stay etc.)
          Chris Brown - F.A.M.E (R&B songs were solid: Deuces, Up To You, All Back, Wet The Bed, Beg For It etc.)

R&B albums I'm looking forward to this year:

J. Holiday - The guy has been quiet since Round 2 back in 2009, but according to his twitter he is planning to release his album this year. Since then he's had really good songs coming from him like: Go Home With You, Pretty Body, Are You Ready To Leave, Ditto, Girls Like These, I Love You, What's Your Name and the most recent and probably the best Freakin' You. I anticipate a real R&B album from him like his other 2.
          Craig David - Bringing it back to a UK artist, one of UK's finest ever R&B artists ever and ofcourse my favorite! He hasn't released a original album since 2007 so it should be worth the wait. Tracks that have surfaced: Going My Way, Who Am I? Just Because You Have A Baby and Snows In July. He has said it should be out this year.
          Bluey Robinson - Another UK artist, who I think has the potential to be the next Craig David. Showgirl was good and he did an amazing acoustic cover of Can You Stand The Rain (Here). I want to hear more from this guy! I think he will be releasing his album this year.
          Mario - Upcoming album 'Restoration' with lead single The Walls. For me, Mario has one of the best vocals in R&B from the younger generation and he usually delivers. This should be released this spring.
          Miguel - All I Want Is You... need I say more!
          Frank Ocean - Interesting to hear what his album will sound like. Will it be close to Nostalgia, Ultra? or will he totally bring something new? Thinking About You is a really good song too.
          Bobby V - Always worth listening to his albums. He says he'll have a new one out in 2012.
          Maxwell - The first album I ever listened to from him was BLACKsummers'night. Really liked it, particularly, Pretty Wings and Fistful Of Tears. I anticipate the next part of the trillogy, which may be released this summer.
          Tank - New album 'Savior' will be coming soon with Compliments and Next Breath on it... sounds good.

To a lesser extent:
          Day 26 - Not a massive Day 26 fan but they do have some nice songs. I've heard Made Love Lately and Make It To The Bed and they are good so it will be worth checking out.
          Trey Songz - I loved Ready, but now he seems to be everywhere and he needs to either take a break or deliver a good album. PPP was a bit of a let down and he has been overexposed with all his collabs and mixtapes and his EP. The last 3 songs on the Inevitable were decent but I skipped the mixtapes. I think its a bit annoying how since PPP he has released okay stuff but has been massively successful with it. Bottoms Up, Love Faces and Unusual weren't that great yet all went top 10... I'll leave this topic, otherwise I can go on forever! Anyway I'll probably still check it out.
          Ne-Yo - I like most of his singles except for the Libra Scale singles, but I've never really listened to a full Ne-Yo album. I'll check out the singles... If they are good then maybe I'll check out the album.

Comment

^^I actually agree.

Trey has so much potential to be great, but he's stuck doing these babymakers which do get women wet, but apart from that, there's very little substance lyrically or artistically.

Frank Ocean's stuff is great, but i prefer him as a songwriter rather than a stand alone artist.
            His voice is rather monotonous & does nothing for me, but the stuff he writes is excellent, so i'm a bit 50/50 on him.

Comment

Originally posted by UKMusicLova
              I'd love that late 90s/early 2000s brand of R&B to come back!

I've been loving songs like Bills Bills Bills, No Scrubs, Foolish, I Should Have Cheated, Let Me Love You, Ice Box, Again, Be Without You, We Belong Together, Me Myself & I, Don't Care Who Knows, Heard It All Before etc etc. I loved that era of R&B!
              Same here!

I'm really excited for new music from Alicia Keys, Brandy, Bridget Kelly, Emeli Sande, Frank Ocean, Melanie Fiona, Nicki Minaj, Rita Ora and The Weeknd.

Comment

So, I just listened to Good Girl Gone Bad again and keep repeating "Hate That I Love You" over and over again. And it just reminded me how much I missed male & female R&B duets.

I'm hoping there will be a lot of "Hate That I Love You" / "My Boo" / "No Air" again this year.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverYoung
                  I'd actually classify Janet as a Dance-Pop act with urban and rock flavor - same with Rihanna.

Janet's most urban album was "20 Y.O." I reckon.
                  I disagree.

Janet is so R&B it's not even funny.

Her "dance-pop" music from the '80s sounded different than everyone else's dance-pop. Why? Because it wasn't dance-pop: it was new jack swing.

Ooooooo....

These are the people I'm checking for that I know will have albums out this year.

1. Frank Ocean (I'm 50/50 with Frank; this debut album will have to be good)
                  2. Bruno Mars (I hope he changes his vocal approach up)
                  3. Alicia Keys
                  4. Mariah Carey
                  5. John Legend (I heard he's supposed to be coming out with a Christmas album next Christmas)
                  6. Tank
                  7. Usher
                  8. Chris Brown
                  9. Maxwell
                  10. Brandy
                  11. Anthony Hamilton
                  12. Ashanti

Yes, you read it correctly. I am checking for a lot of men. Male R&B has been horrible for quite some time. However, I am not feeling the Captain Save-A-Hoe genre.

I mean you can sing songs about women but all of the sex ballads and the songs that make men look like total losers and women look like some perfect, divine creature that's always treated so wrong have got to stop.

I'm not here for that.

I like Trey; he has so much potential but he better come correct. Or I'm out. I can't deal with the recorded blowjobs anymore...I just can't.

I know J. Cole's not R&B but I'm definitely keeping an eye out for him. His first album was THE bomb.
                  I can feel this light that's inside of me, growing fast into a bolt of lightning. I know one spark will shock the world...
                  --Katy Perry

Comment

Originally posted by UKMusicLova
                    In terms of rappers, I like that this year there seems to be a resurgence of female rappers!

Nicki Minaj, Azealia Banks, Lady Lehsurr, Missy Elliott, Mz Bratt, Reema Major and Eve will hopefully all release AMAZING albums!
                    ...ahem.

Obviously you left Kim off your list because you know she will smash harder than any of these gurls.

------

I think this year has the potential to be a really good year for commercial R&B, I am looking forward to around 10 artists that are probably releasing albums this year, and that's before new artists come into it!

Comment

Monica's album is due this year too.

Comment

One of my all-time favourite rappers Nas, is also releasing this year, so i'll def also be looking out for that.

Though the fact that Tyler The Creator might be on the album makes me want to gag.

Comment

Re: Urban/R&B General Discussion

Originally posted by abi
                          So, i've asked Ben & Carly to open this thread and they said I could give it a try.

So, this is the place where we can share our opinions about the current situation in R&B/Urban music right now, like do you think R&B should stay away from Dance/Electropop?
                          Absolutely

Originally posted by abi
                          Who will bring R&B back into the mainstream audience?
                          Nobody, its time of ruling the charts is over and it's not coming back

Originally posted by abi
                          Who will be the biggest seller in 2012?
                          I don't know. I guess Alicia Keys can easily do it with a new release.

Originally posted by abi
                          What's your most anticipated R&B/Urban records in 2012 and is Hip-Hop making a comeback in the mainstream music scene (at least in the USA: Kanye/Jay-Z, Lil' Wayne, Big Sean, Drake, Nicki Minaj)?
                          Definitely Brandy & 50 Cent (Dr. Dre too if he finally releases his damn album)
                          jio CHARTS NOW:30/3/2020: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...5#post10369614

Comment

Can u guys believe it that true R&B has been out of mainstream music for almost 5 years?

Comment

I would like R&B to sound more like this:
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-UJGvE8vnQ

SO hot!

Comment

^^Wont happen bc it would sound too dated but love it.

Im looking forward to.....

Monica
                                Brandy
                                Usher
                                Miguel
                                Christina M.
                                Ciara
                                Mariah
                                Craig David
                                Mario
                                Trey S.
                                Teairra
                                Frank Ocean
                                Alicia

IDk, maybe i forgot someone.

If rnb comes back it needs to be fresh bc nobody wants to hear that dated ish.

It needs to be rnb but for right now otherwise rnb will never come back.

I think, hip hop and more urban rnb records will start getting more and more play and than maybe slower rnb songs and stuff.

Like last year, there was B&Y, NIP, Look at me now and now, rihanna is releasing TTT with Jay-z which probably will be a hit and i think, thats the way first. Heavy hip hop songs and heavier rnb songs is what might start an urban trend.

Comment

Re: Urban/R&B General Discussion

Originally posted by jio
                                  Originally posted by abi
                                  Who will bring R&B back into the mainstream audience?
                                  Nobody, its time of ruling the charts is over and it's not coming back

Who died and made you omniscient ruler of the universe?

:-?

Originally posted by jio
                                  Originally posted by abi
                                  What's your most anticipated R&B/Urban records in 2012 and is Hip-Hop making a comeback in the mainstream music scene (at least in the USA: Kanye/Jay-Z, Lil' Wayne, Big Sean, Drake, Nicki Minaj)?
                                  Definitely Brandy & 50 Cent (Dr. Dre too if he finally releases his damn album)
                                  50 Cent got an album coming out?

I thought he quit music and wanted to become a full-time businessman...
                                  I can feel this light that's inside of me, growing fast into a bolt of lightning. I know one spark will shock the world...
                                  --Katy Perry

Comment

50 Cent has been releasing again mixtapes and songs through his facebook page recently and has hinted on a new album coming out (no date though).

As for the ruler of the universe comment, do I really have to add the letters IMO after each and every sentence I write?
                                    jio CHARTS NOW:30/3/2020: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...5#post10369614

Comment

Brandy
                                      Monica
                                      Emelie Sande
                                      SWV
                                      Tamia
                                      Wayna
                                      Lina
                                      Chrisette Michele[maybe]
                                      Jazmine Sullivan [I really hope!]
                                      Terri Walker [if this ever sees the light of day]
                                      Solange
                                      Keyshia Cole

Comment

Originally posted by urbanmusik
                                        Jazmine Sullivan better release a new album this year! Her two records (especially 'Love Me Back') are two of my favourite R&B albums ever, so I hope she does well.
                                        +1 Jazmine is so underrated.

Solange will probably have the best urban/R&B album if she releases this year.
                                        "King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."

Comment

^^Thanks for reminding me about Solange, Hugo!

And yeah, i agree. I expect nothing short of perfection from her. I was JUST listening to Cosmic Journey a few minutes ago, too.

Comment

What about Janelle MonŠe? Any news?

Comment

ABI - would you like to see this topic sticky?
                                              Big.Big.Booty.

Comment

Originally posted by BanZai
                                                ABI - would you like to see this topic sticky?
                                                I'd like to if the mods agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Wmosi

And yeah, i agree. I expect nothing short of perfection from her. I was JUST listening to Cosmic Journey a few minutes ago, too.
                                                  Oh, yeah Solange definitely! She said the new album will be very old-school Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. Can't wait.
                                                  DEBBIE GIBSON 2020

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverYoung
                                                    Originally posted by Wmosi

Oh, yeah Solange definitely! She said the new album will be very old-school Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. Can't wait.
                                                    Yeah, i remember she tweeted that she was gonna go the "Janet" route this time around. I'm excited to hear what she comes up with!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X