Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Country music thread

I think we need one!

Before we start, can you all please take a seat and bow down to the most pioneering country music female artist of all-time...

- First female artist in American music to have a million selling album

- Responsible for half of the #1 country music singles registered by a female artist during the 1960's

- The most successful and often-imitated country music female artist of all-time - with one of music's best ever voices!

- Arguably the most prolific female songwriter in country music of all-time, and inarguably one of the greatest songwriters of ALL-TIME

...The First Lady of Country Music!

Be slayed! Miss Tammy Wynette!

Now, we may discuss country music - old, and new - until our heart is content!

Taylor Swift is outlawed in this thread!

I've said before my faves are Loretta Lynn & Glen Campbell!

Glen's music isn't typical country in my opinion, there's a certain quality to his music which makes it so.

I'm so sad about his illness still, hope he sticks around for a while longer, his voice is still gorgeous! :(

Patsy is another I love many from as well, I tend to lean toward the old stars of this genre.

I do like Gretchen Wilson to a degree as well.

I also like Levon Holm, Justin Townes Earle, Gram Parsons, Bobbie Gentry...

Joan Osborne's country album has a few lovely tracks as well, I like KD Lang's "Pay Dirt" as well!
    My tits are made of silicone, just like the Earth and sea...

Comment

I LOVE country and bluegrass.
      Basically I prefer as in all other genres female singers.
      My favorites are (in descending order):
      Alison Krauss (& Union Station)
      Dolly Parton
      Shania Twain
      LeAnn Rimes
      Faith Hill
      Martina McBride
      Carrie Underwood
      Miranda Lambert
      Linda Ronstadt (not purely country artist but anyways)
      Lee Ann Womack
      Reba McEntire
      Deana Carter
      Garth Brooks

So amongst female country legends only Dolly has made the list of my favs.
      I have listened to Patsy Cline, Tanya Tucker, Emmylou Harris, Tammy Wynette, Crystal Gayle but none of them impressed me.

Comment

wow iconic achievements!
        P=MC2's Top 20
        Originally posted by Merci
        Poszilicious, pussy served delicious!

Comment

I did not just read that Tammy didn't impress someone

Lioha, listen to Precious Memories - its actually spinetingingly beautiful. It DESTROYS just about anything Dolly has ever put out - and trust me, I LOVE Dolly!

Comment

@ Bill - I can hear Country roots in a lot of Joan Osborne's music!

Loretta Lynn is someone that both Tammy and Dolly were inspired by - I know about a dozen songs, what would you recommend pal?

Comment

Originally posted by 04wayne
              I did not just read that Tammy didn't impress someone

Lioha, listen to Precious Memories - its actually spinetingingly beautiful. It DESTROYS just about anything Dolly has ever put out - and trust me, I LOVE Dolly!
              mmm... well... the song is okay
              that's all (Miranda Priestly's voice)

my favorite Tammy's song is this amazing pure country and western number
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPjggN-KByI

Comment

Yeah Joan is real diverse taking in lots of influences!

Ermm Loretta, I know I'm weird but I love the album "Hymns" it's like a guilty pleasure, it's kinda old testament and cheesy but it's so good!

"Everybody Want's To Go To Heaven", "Old Rugged Cross", "How Great Thou Art", "Softly & Tenderly", "Old Camp Meeting Time", "In The Sweet Bye & Bye", "There Will Be Peace (In The Valley)"...some from her religious stuff.

Her classic "Coal Miners Daughter" is obviously beaut, I have a compilation of her country hits, "Don't Come Home A Drinking", "The Pill", "One's on The Way", "Fist City", "They Don't Make 'Em Like My Daddy", "Your Squaw Is On The Warpath".... some ol' country in there!

I don't actually know everything from her, my dad introduced me to her and I think of him whenever I listen to her, maybe that's why I like her so!

Comment

I'll have a snoop and let you know what I think of those you suggested - I've heard some already though!

Comment

Everybody Wants To Go To Heaven (Live)

Comment

My current favourite country music track incidentally...

Tammy Wynette - Woman to Woman

It sounds like something Adele would do in 2013 - Tammy was so ahead of her time.

Oh my joint current favourite [] is Take Me To Your World, also by the queen!

Comment

Is Dusty Springfield country?
                        last.fm
                        Chun's monthly most listened

Comment

Originally posted by chun1702
                          nope

Comment

Taylor Swift

Comment

I wouldn't want to pigeonhole her, but if someone asked me what genre she was, I'd say Blues, which I suppose could be regarded as R&B or Country! She definitely has that Country twang to her voice!

I love Dusty!

Comment

Yes, that's a good description, wayne.
                                What would be her most country-like song? Twenty-Four Hours from Tulsa?
                                last.fm
                                Chun's monthly most listened

Comment

Yes, that's a good description, wayne.
                                  What would be her most country-like song? Twenty-Four Hours from Tulsa?
                                  Country song with brass as a main instruments? Oh no)))
                                  I still don't want to refer Dusty as country.
                                  At first, she's British which makes country in her case almost impossible.
                                  At second, her voice is not country, she didn't have that typical guttural sound that the majority of country singers have.
                                  At third, her instrumentations weren't country (no dobros, no steel guitars, no mandolins, no banjos, no fiddles).
                                  Thus she maybe sounded similar to some countrypolitan singers who were very far from real country and were basically the pop singers with country flavor.

Comment

What about modern country? The majority of great modern music comes from that genre. My current favorite is Tornado by Little Big Town but there are so much more.
                                    jio CHARTS NOW: 21/9/2020: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...3#post10468623

Comment

Nothing beats a bit of old country though!

I'll search some more modern country acts, as I said before I like Gretchen Wilson & Justin Townes Earle.

If you mean mainstream "country" stars, they just seem too poppy for me, almost like the US has forgotten what country should sound like or something... :-?

Comment

I just realized that my computer has so many country albums as of 2013! Even the Grammys made me notice even more country music!

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyCrazy
                                          If you mean mainstream "country" stars, they just seem too poppy for me, almost like the US has forgotten what country should sound like or something... :-?
                                          I've just recently gotten into country music (despite growing up in Georgia ), so I'll need to check out some of the older stuff sometime, but I love lots of modern country. Taylor Swift, Little Big Town, Zac Brown Band, the Dixie Chicks, and the Band Perry are probably my favourite artists of the moment of any genre. I for one actually love the fact that country music is incorporating more elements of classic rock and modern pop music. Growing up all I heard on the radio was honky tonk country and it drove me mad. I think musicians and genres should evolve. That's what music and creativity are all about. I don't want to listen to someone who sits down and thinks "Hmmm, what should country music sound like? I think I'll make that record." To me, the evolution of modern country is really exciting, but I can understand why some are pushing back against it.

Comment

I prefer contemporary country, however, i definitely should discover the real roots of this genre!!

Comment

dolly parton is my country queen. I also like shania twain, dixie chicks and because of my mum can listen to loretta lynn and patsy cline.

Johnny Cash

I haven't got around to Gram Parsons yet. I've been meaning to for years as I'm a fan of Ryan Adams but just haven't done it yet!
                                              You taste just like glitter mixed with rock and roll
                                              I'd rather be a comma than a full stop

Comment

I've been enjoying Gram Parsons recently!

Listen to his albums: GP & Grievous Angel.

"Brass Buttons" is gorge!

Comment

I'm a swiftie.. therefore I'm a country stan! :evil: :x :-?
                                                  I'm the terminator, bitch talk slick, I'm a have to terminate her \_(?)_/

Comment

Working...
                                                  X