Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Game] The Artists League - Season 5 - QUARTERFINALS!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M People - One Night In Heaven
    Divine Comedy - If I Were You (I'd Be Through With Me)
    YVA - Velnias Manyje Gyvena
    Paolo Nutini - Scream (Funk My Life Up)
    Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

• Based on lyrics "Velnias Manyje Gyvena" (The Devil Lives In Me) sounds like a sequel of another YVA song "Paparacai". Besides relations between celebrities and mass media in this song YVA beauties also talk about a dark side of the female nature.

My celebrity crushes : Monika Sedziuviene, Kristina Ivanova (YVA).
      In my head I like to imagine LastDreamer in the land of Lithuania right now with a suitcase of simcards, a box of chocolates and a wedding ring. It would be a great base for an epic Eurovision fan fiction.

Comment

• CONFERENCE UK - ROUND 3
        Choose the winner of each match, or call it a TIE!

Bonnie Raitt - Not The Only One
        VS
        M People - One Night In Heaven

Divine Comedy - If I Were You (I'd Be Through With Me)
        VS
        Jeremy Camp - Reckless tie

Mamamoo - Passion Flower
        VS
        YVA - Velnias Manyje Gyvena

Paolo Nutini - Scream (Funk My Life Up)
        VS
        The House of Love - Feel

Comment

• Match 1: WIN Bonnie
          Bonnie is just so easy listinening to, flows smoothly. Love all presented from her so far. M People was great too.

Match 2: WIN Divine Comedy
          Divine Comedy here was a hit. His voice is not my fav thing but the whole song was great. Jeremy was his best so far, he keeps growing for me. This was really tight but I'll go with Divine Comedy as I find it a little more interesting overall.

Match 3: WIN Mamamoo
          Mamamoo was fire once again! They are really surprising me! YVA was not as convincing as last round for me, but ok.

Match 4: TIE
          Paolo felivers something outstanding here. I really like this song. House of Love was really good here, . Two really good tracks, toughest match. I'lll call it a tie.
          VISIT UKmix HOT100 @ Front Desk
          ENJOY Hits in the Mix! weekly chart @ General Music

Comment

• 1: Bonnie Raitt - The previous two singles from this album are her biggest hits, but I gravitate to this one because of the hope it gives me -sigh- that my loneliness will end someday too
            2: Divine Comedy - That Jeremy Camp video was seizure-inducing. I'm a bit torn on this one, but I think the Divine Comedy hit my emotions more than Jeremy's did.
            3: Mamamoo - I hope I can give my vote to YVA one of these rounds because I've find their songs quite pleasant, but Mamamoo wins in a landslide here - perhaps my favorite song of this set because so much happens in the song.
            4. The House of Love - Wow! What a match! I listened to Paolo and thought that was an instant win. Every song of his has been delightful, but The House of Love really brought it. (Youtube played another Paolo song after this that I hope was submitted because I'm now obsessed with it.)

Comment

• M People
              Divine Comedy
              Mamamoo
              Paolo Nutini
              THRILLER’S SOUNDS OF THE 90s

Comment

• I might vote in the morning with maybe the second half.
                UKMIXtapes Vol.3 | ROUND 9!

Comment

• Match 1: Bonnie Raitt
                  Wow her voice is so clear and sharp in this song. I really enjoyed it!

Match 2: Jeremy Camp
                  Jeremy's best song in the competition so far. I really enjoyed his vocals and the melody.

Match 3: YVA
                  Their best song so far.
                  Despite loving Mamamoo's previous song, this one didn't do it for me. Whilst it showcases the group's versatility, the big band/jazzy sound isn't for me.

Match 4: The House of Love
                  I really liked this song. It had a U2 feel to it.
                  Really didn't like the Paolo song. Funk isn't my thing; especially the clichéd and overused pun of the word 'funk' - sorry!
                  Last edited by GaGarazzi; Tue June 2nd, 2020, 01:28.

Comment

• Bonnie Raitt
                    Jeremy Camp
                    YVA
                    House of Love
                    In my head I like to imagine LastDreamer in the land of Lithuania right now with a suitcase of simcards, a box of chocolates and a wedding ring. It would be a great base for an epic Eurovision fan fiction.

Comment

• CONFERENCE MIX - ROUND 3

Carrie Underwood - End Up With You
                      VS
                      Lo Stato Sociale - Vorrei Essere Una Canzone

Carrie's accolades include 7 Grammy Awards, 11 Billboard Music Awards, 15 American Music Awards, a Guinness world record and inductions into the Hollywood Walk of Fame and the Grand Ole Opry. Billboard named her the top female country artist of both the 2000s and 2010s, and Some Hearts the top country album of the 2000s. She ranks, as per Pollstar, among the thirteen all-genre top female touring artists of the twenty-first century, having sold over 4.3 million concert tickets. Acclaimed by Rolling Stone as "the female vocalist of her generation of any genre", she was listed by Time as one of the 100 most influential people in the world in 2014.

Le Stato Sociale has a peculiar pop style with some electronic vibes and sarcastic lyrics. They generally embrace current issues, both political and social, with an interesting approach to them.

Lara Fabian - I will love again
                      VS
                      Laura Pausini La Solitudine

Constant touring in Québec helped Fabian's 1994 album Carpe diem become her breakthrough album. The album went Gold three weeks after its release, and spawned three hit singles: "Tu t'en vas", "Si tu m'aimes", and "Leïla". The following year, the album went triple platinum. Fabian received two Félix awards at the 1995 ADISQ gala: Best Show Of The Year and Best Female Singer Of The Year (a category that is voted for by the public). In 1996, Walt Disney Studios hired Fabian to voice the character of Esmeralda in the French version of the animated feature The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Pausini appeared as a coach on both the Mexican and Spanish versions of international reality television singing competition franchise The Voice, was a judge on the first and second series of La banda, and is likewise a judge on the Spanish version of international franchise The X Factor. In 2016, she also debuted as a variety show presenter, hosting the television show Laura & Paola, with actress Paola Cortellesi.

Mylène Farmer - Je Te Rends Ton Amour
                      VS
                      Susanne Sundfør - The Brothel

Je Te Rends Ton Amour(I Return/Give You Back Your Love) was released as the second single from Farmer’s 5th album and magnum opus (in my opinion) Innamoramentoin 1999. Accompanying the song’s release was its music video which caused a large amount of controversy due to its depiction of blood, nudity and religious imagery and was therefore subsequently heavily censored by television. Farmer however pulled a Madonna à la Justify My Love and released the fully uncensored version on VHS, donating funds to AIDS charities. The song itself is perhaps one of Farmer’s most ambiguous works in which the title can be translated as ‘I Return Your Love’ or ‘I Give You Back Your Love’ signifying either a reciprocal exchange or the return of a love no longer shared. Lyrically, it depicts Farmer, personified as the model within Austrian painter Egon Schiele’s painting ‘La femme nue debout’ and possibly compares the experience of the singer to that of an artwork: “I will be the ‘Unique’ for millions of eyes”. This song is considered to be Farmer’s personal favourite and is widely acclaimed by fans. It is also one of, if not, my favourite Mylène songs.

Sundfør rose to fame in her homeland in 2005, when she toured Norway opening for English singer Tom McRae. In 2006, she joined Norwegian band Madrugada on tour, performing their song "Lift Me", a duet the band originally recorded in the studio with singer Ane Brun. In November, she released her debut single "Walls", which would climb to number three on the Norwegian singles chart. Her self-titled debut album was released in March 2007 and peaked at number three on the album chart.

Nightwish - The Islander
                      VS
                      Shannon Noll - Drive

Nightwish's Turunen was dismissed in October 2005. Her last performance with Nightwish was during a concert recorded for the live album/DVD End of an Era. After the concert, the other members informed Turunen with an open letter that she was no longer a member of Nightwish. In May 2007, Nightwish announced Anette Olzon as Turunen's replacement.

"I've got a car... I've got a big black shiny car..." Good timing it seems the video for this was reuploaded to his channel in decent widescreen quality in April! This was the 2nd single to Shannon's debut album That's What I'm Talking About in 2004, following the mega successful What About Me (cover of the 1982 Australian band Moving Pictures song. both went to #1 in Australia). It's a fun country/rock singalong track.

Choose the winner of each match, or call it a TIE!
                      In 48-72 hours I'll present results and next round!!!

Comment

• cheapthrills matthew_dixon trebor Thriller Colbie Wayne navi JSparksFan RayRay Nostalgiee heppolo GaGarazzi Tansike Affillate Carbon LastDreamer

And anyone else!

Comment

• Bonnie Raitt - Not The Only One: 9.5/10 - love the instrumentation, fantastic vocals, great lyrics. Bonnie has some stunners, it seems. The surprise climax at the end was fun.
                          VS
                          M People - One Night In Heaven: 7.5/10 - lovely. It's got an eclectic disco beat that was pretty cool.

Divine Comedy - If I Were You (I'd Be Through With Me): 10/10 - oh, wow. This was rather spectacular.
                          VS
                          Jeremy Camp - Reckless: 7/10 - basic, but nice.

Mamamoo - Passion Flower: 8.5/10 - this was fun! Killer vocals, too.
                          VS
                          YVA - Velnias Manyje Gyvena: 7/10 - kinda catchy.

Paolo Nutini - Scream (Funk My Life Up): 8.5/10 - great stuff!
                          VS
                          The House of Love - Feel: 7/10 - good.
                          Akini's Top 400 Songs of the Decade: [2-1!]

Comment

• Lo Stato Sociale - Vorrei Essere Una Canzone
                            Laura Pausini - La Solitudine
                            Susanne Sundfør - The Brothel

Nightwish - The Islander
                            Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

1) M-People
                              2) Jeremy Camp
                              3) YVA
                              4) The House Of Love
                              trebor's - 2016 in Country Music
                              trebor's - 2015 in Country Music

Comment

• UK:
                                Bonnie Rait
                                Divine Comedy
                                Mamamoo
                                The House Of Love

MIX:
                                Lo Stato Sociale
                                Laura Pausini
                                Susanne Sundfor
                                Nightwish

Comment

• Group 1

M People - One Night In Heaven WIN - Both were nice, M Peoples is a groover just edges out Bonnie in this match up Ill go with them.

Jeremy Camp - Reckless WIN - Divine Comedy's took a little bit to get going in this match up.

Mamamoo - Passion Flower VS YVA - Velnias Manyje Gyvena TIE - A nice Jazzy number and a pop with a bit of oomph in the chorus part.

Paolo Nutini - Scream (Funk My Life Up) VS The House of Love - Feel TIE - again different kindof genres, enjoyed both.

Group 2

Carrie Underwood - End Up With You WIN - Slightly different style from Carrie, was very catchy. Lo Stato Sociale's was nice.

Lara Fabian - I will love again VS Laura Pausini La Solitudine TIE - great chorus in both songs, enjoyed both.

Mylène Farmer - Je Te Rends Ton Amour WIN - The beat in Mylene's was interesting and set a bit of a mood, Susanne's had a nice build in it as it went along.

Shannon Noll - Drive WIN - Bit of a more folksy feel to Nightwish, great country/rock out track from Shannon. Funny you can spot the 2004 registration sticker on the car window, bit of a mini movie style clip too bit of acting there.
                                  Last edited by Affillate; Wed June 3rd, 2020, 15:03.
                                  UKMIXtapes Vol.3 | ROUND 9!

Comment

• 1: Carrie Underwood - The link for Lo Stato didn't work for me, so I used this one. I think both songs picked showed the versatility of the artists. The Lo Stato song was fantastic until that repetitive last minute. I had expectations of what a Carrie Underwood song would sound like and this upended them - in a good way.
                                    2: TIE - It's a La(u)ra catfight! I remember Laura's song from the 1990s countdown, and so I know this is her debut, which is a great start to a career. Lara's songs sounds like it was stolen right from Celine's playbook. I thought these were pretty equal in quality.
                                    3: Mylene Farmer - This is another close one, and both with such epic songs. I ended up listening to them a couple times. I really like the glass-like quality of the final minute or two of Susanne's song, but I think Mylene was more dynamic here.
                                    4. Nightwish - Wow, have I just been transported to our renaissance festival? That Nightwish song was definitely festive. Really like Shannon in general, but this one's quite flat. I did enjoy the cheesefest of a video, though, even if the girl stripped down to her underwear and Shannon didn't.

Comment

• UK:
                                      Bonnie Raitt
                                      Jeremy Camp
                                      YVA
                                      House of Love

MIX:
                                      Lo Stato Sociale
                                      Laura Pausini
                                      Mylene Farmer
                                      Nightwish

Comment

• CONFERENCE MIX - ROUND 3

1) Lo Stato Sociale
                                        2) TIE - Lara Fabian & Laura Pausini
                                        3) Mylène Farmer
                                        4) TIE - Nightwish & Shannon Noll
                                        trebor's - 2016 in Country Music
                                        trebor's - 2015 in Country Music

Comment

• 1: Carrie Underwood

2: Lara Fabian - Not fair to pit two of my favorite songs against each other. But I'll go for I Will Love Again. Such an epic song that makes Cher's Believe stand in the shadow.

3: Mylene Farmer - I love Mylene so much. Even went to see her live in Brussels a few years ago.

4. Nightwish
                                          My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• Can you keep this open and I’ll try and vote tomorrow?

Comment

• Originally posted by Thriller View Post
                                              Can you keep this open and I’ll try and vote tomorrow?
                                              Sure, I'll leave this until tomorrow night

Comment

• Match 1: Lo Stato Sociale WIN
                                                It was a cute Carrie song. Stato brings some flavors to the table, nice.

Match 2: Laura WIN
                                                Lara was very good, powerful 90s pop song. Laura is stunnig here, so warm and beautiful.

Match 3: Susanne WIN
                                                I was sure about giving Mylene the points as the song was very good, but Susanne's song is just superb. Loved that one a lot.

Match 4: Nightwish WIN
                                                Very good song from Nightwish! I loved it, quite different from the previous ones, pleasant surprise. Drive was good.

Comment

• Carrie Underwood - End Up With You: 10/10 - breezy country-pop lightness from Carrie. This took ages to grow on me as it's not the style of music from her that I generally like, but the you's in the chorus are so addictive that they won me over eventually.
                                                  VS
                                                  Lo Stato Sociale - Vorrei Essere Una Canzone: 8.5/10 - the last minute of this is terrific. I love big instrumentation.

Lara Fabian - I will love again: 9/10 - oh, this kind of straightforward pop is right up my alley. Loved it.
                                                  VS
                                                  Laura Pausini La Solitudine: 9/10 - beautiful! I wasn't ready for those vocals.

Mylène Farmer - Je Te Rends Ton Amour: 7/10 - love the dark mysteriousness of the melody.
                                                  VS
                                                  Susanne Sundfør - The Brothel: 7/10 - depressing lyrics, but I liked this still.

Nightwish - The Islander: 7.5/10 - lovely all 'round.
                                                  VS
                                                  Shannon Noll - Drive: 7.5/10 - this is a pretty simple song that I thought I was gonna end up not enjoying, but I came 'round to it towards the end.
                                                  Akini's Top 400 Songs of the Decade: [2-1!]

Comment

• Won't have time until today evening to get my votes done, so around 10-12 hours. Would be nice if this round is open until then...

Comment

• Carrie Underwood
                                                      Lara Fabian
                                                      Mylene Farmer
                                                      Shannon Noll

Comment

• Match 1: Lo Stato Sociale
                                                        Major improvement on their other two songs submitted to the competition. I loved this one! Great vocals, melody and music.
                                                        Whilst it was interesting to hear a different sound from Carrie, it did sound a little trend chasing for me. Not necessarily bad to listen to, but I preferred her other songs.

Match 2: Lara Fabian
                                                        Why was this not a huge worldwide hit I don't know. Fantastic chorus and vocals as always. On a side note, damn doesn't she look pretty in the video!
                                                        This must be an early one for Laura. It was sweet, but lacked the oomph that her late 90s/early 2000s songs have.

Match 3: Mylène Farmer
                                                        As I said in the comments, this has to be one of my favourite Mylène songs (there are many) so it would win against anything really. Nice to see it's so far receiving a nice reception as well as Mylène herself.
                                                        Susanne's track was a little bit to slow for me.

Match 4: Nightwish
                                                        I wasn't really blown away by either to be honest, but Nightwish manages to take the win. I appreciate that this is a slight departure from their more theatrical sound. It sounds and looks like something that could fit right into Game of Thrones.
                                                        Nollsey has better than this, but I did appreciate the '00s throwback.
                                                        Last edited by GaGarazzi; Thu June 4th, 2020, 12:15.

Comment

• TIE - both were dull for me
                                                          Lara Fabian - fab song, covered by Steps a few years ago
                                                          Mylene Farmer - Susanne never really got going
                                                          Shannon Noll - it had a bit of a kick to it

Comment

• Carrie Underwood
                                                            Laura Pausini - not a fan of her, but this song is just lovely
                                                            Susanne Sundfor - it takes a while to set in, but it's stunning, and that final part is heaven
                                                            Nightwish

I'll try and vote for the first group if I have time but don't wait for me
                                                            last.fm

Comment

1. M People - One Night In Heaven

Bonnie's music is more what I usually would listen to, but M People's track sounds like a 90s Dance classic and got me way more in this battle, so they win this for me.

2. Jeremy Camp - Reckless

Very enjoyable song by Jeremy, not that much into The Divine Comedy's track in this round.

3. Mamamoo - Passion Flower

Wow at all those elements in the Mamamoo track. Actually loved the first half, the second half is a little bit messy to me. Still a clear winner. YVA wasn't bad though, the track itself was solid. But somehow I'm still not that much into their vocals.

4. TIE

I try to avoid a tie as often as possible, but I just couldn't name a winner in this battle because both songs have some good parts and are overall equally good.

CONFERENCE MIX - ROUND 3

1. Carrie Underwood - End Up With You

Even though Carrie's song was never among my faves on "Cry Pretty" (the album), the song is still very well done and enjoyable. My winner here.

2. Lara Fabian - I Will Love Again

First few notes and Lara already won this battle, simply because this is such a gem and such a huge classic. Major nostalgia alert here Poor Laura though. I think this song was already presented on another game around two years ago and I already loved it back then and still do, but she still stood no chance against "I Will Love Again".

3. Susanne Sundfør - The Brothel

Beautiful piece of music by Susanne and a clearly winner against another good song by Mylène.

4. Nightwish - The Islander

Completely different for the usual Nightwish stuff, but still typical them. Not as popular as "Nemo" or other hits, but still a gem in their discography and simply beautiful.

Comment

Working...
                                                              X