• Show
Clear All

• 1 Linda Ronstadt - Somewhere Out There
    2 Chaka Khan - I Know You, I Live You
    3 INXS - I Send A Message
    4 Echo & The Bunnymen - Rust
    5 Will Young - Hopes & Fears
    6 Tina Arena - Burn
    7 Ane Brun - Song No. 6 (feat. Ron Sexsmith)
    8 Sinead O'Connor - Thank You for Hearing Me

Echo was the surprise of the set for me, since I don't feel like I had connected on previous songs, but really enjoyed their entry. I thought the INXS entry was super-fun this time around; I think I am connecting more with the bouncier types of songs that they do. I think I was in the mood for fun this time around because I adored Chaka! The horns, the light vocal - I just need a disco ball t complete the mood.

Will and Tina are kind of in the same boat - songs I liked but got kind of pushed down in the shuffle. I liked this Will entry more than the last one for sure, and Tina's voice is on point as usual. As for Ane and Sinead, they were a bit of a miss for me - I've loved Ane's entries prior to this, but something was off-kilter here - not sure if it was Ron's contribution or what, and Sinead's voice was wonderful, but the lyrics were repetitive to the point of distraction.

As for the limbo songs, I really enjoyed LaFee this time around - wish it had a chance in the actual voting. And Barbra doing disco is always a win.

Comment

• 01. Ane Brun - Song No. 6 (feat. Ron Sexsmith) [FAVE]
      02. Linda Ronstadt - Somewhere Out There
      03. Tina Arena - Burn
      04. INXS - I Send A Message
      05. Will Young - Hopes & Fears
      06. Echo & The Bunnymen - Rust
      07. Chaka Khan - I Know You, I Live You
      08. Sinead O'Connor - Thank You for Hearing Me

Comment

• ROUND 8
        RANK THEM 1 (FAV) to 8 (LEAST FAV)

1. Echo & The Bunnymen - Rust
        2. Sinead O'Connor - Thank You for Hearing Me
        3. Ane Brun - Song No. 6 (feat. Ron Sexsmith)
        4. INXS - I Send A Message
        5. Linda Ronstadt - Somewhere Out There
        6. Will Young - Hopes & Fears
        7. Tina Arena - Burn
        8. Chaka Khan - I Know You, I Live You

Comment

• 4 Will Young - Hopes & Fears: agree the happy style makes u feel good listening to it.
          5 Tina Arena - Burn: it's nice, but it does not stand out. Very radio friendly and that adds some points though.
          7 Linda Ronstadt - Somewhere Out There: such a sad movie!!!! I fell it is too music by numbers, so it's good but too obvious.
          2 Ane Brun - Song No. 6 (feat. Ron Sexsmith): I think this is her best so far.
          3 Echo & The Bunnymen - Rust: very nice!
          6 INXS - I Send A Message: good, they were a solid band
          1 Sinead O'Connor - Thank You for Hearing Me
          8 Chaka Khan - I Know You, I Live You: ok

I've always felt haunted by Hearing Me from Sinead. She had a very complicated childhood, and that defines her, in both her ups and downs. There are hints of painful things she went through in many of her songs. So being such an emotional and complex person, going into the spotlight, getting tons of attention at an early age, and downspiraling the way she did in SNL really marked her. Her third album, the follow up of her Do not Want era and the scandals that surrounded her back then, was a Standards album, which although I love, was a clear message that she was kinda lost as a songwriter... so Universal Mother was her first attempt to get back on track, and Hearing Me is imo such a hearfelt and honest expression of her deep feelings towards some people that stood by her and some fans too probably. And the atmosphere around the music is also captivating for me. I do think the song is a little repetitive at points, but I'll always listen to it wanting to hug her and thank her for making such touching music to my soul.
          ENJOY UKMIX Retro Charts Records! Chart Facts, Year-End charts, Records and more...

Comment

• 1 Chaka Khan - I Know You, I Live You: 8/10 - uber romantic. It really picks up in the second half for me.
            2 Linda Ronstadt - Somewhere Out There: 7.8/10 - beautiful.
            3 INXS - I Send A Message: 7.8/10 - Elvis-esque. I liked it.
            4 Echo & The Bunnymen - Rust: 7.2/10 - a bit boring, but I like the intro. Quite timely for the moment.
            5 Will Young - Hopes & Fears: 7.2/10 - pleasant.
            6 Tina Arena - Burn: 7.2/10 - simple and nice.
            7 Ane Brun - Song No. 6 (feat. Ron Sexsmith): 7/10 - this wasn't an entirely smooth ride, but I liked it.
            8 Sinead O'Connor - Thank You for Hearing Me: 7/10 - repetitive, but tender.
            Akini's Top 100 Songs of 2020: [100-96]
            Akini's Top 25 Albums of 2020: [Starting 12/16]
            Akini's Top 25 Artists of 2020: [Starting 12/24]

Comment

• 3 Will Young - Hopes & Fears

8 Tina Arena - Burn

6 Linda Ronstadt - Somewhere Out There

1 Ane Brun - Song No. 6 (feat. Ron Sexsmith)

2 Echo & The Bunnymen - Rust

4 INXS - I Send A Message

5 Sinead O'Connor - Thank You for Hearing Me

7 Chaka Khan - I Know You, I Live You
              last.fm

Comment

• 1 INXS - I Send A Message
                2 Tina Arena - Burn
                3 Chaka Khan - I Know You, I Live You
                4 Will Young - Hopes & Fears
                5 Sinead O'Connor - Thank You for Hearing Me
                6 Linda Ronstadt - Somewhere Out There
                7 Ane Brun - Song No. 6 (feat. Ron Sexsmith)
                8 Echo & The Bunnymen - Rust

UKMIXtapes Vol.3 | ROUND 9!

Comment

• LEADERBOARD

1. (1) (1) (6) (2) (5) (8) (3) (3.42)

2. (2) (3) (2) (1) (3) (2) (2) (3.47)

3. (3) (2) (3) (3) (6) (4) (8) (3.60)

4. (5) (6) (1) (4) (1) (1) (10) (3.66)

5. (4) (4) (4) (7) (7) (6) (4) (3.73)

6. (6) (5) (5) (10) (8) (3) (1) (3.83)

Thanks RayRay and navi! Tina and Echo both leave. The singer's Sorrento Moon got very positive feedback in this game. The band got 2 times the Song of the Round mention: R4 Nothing Lasts Forever and.... this last round with Rust!!! But this helped them to tie Chaka and that was not enough as tiebreaker decided that Chaka moves on: she was better ranked in R7. Echo needed to improve Chaka's points, not tie,,, Thanks!
                  ENJOY UKMIX Retro Charts Records! Chart Facts, Year-End charts, Records and more...

Comment

• cheapthrills
                    Affillate
                    Carbon
                    Wayne
                    JSparksFan
                    navi
                    RayRay
                    Spiral
                    GaGarazzi
                    LastDreamer
                    heppolo
                    Tansike

Comment

• 01. Ane Brun - Rubber & Soul (feat. Teitur) [FAVE]
                      02. Will Young - Friday's Child
                      03. INXS - Elegantly Wasted
                      04. Sinead O'Connor - Fire On Babylon
                      05. Linda Ronstadt - Blue Bayou
                      06. Chaka Khan - The End of a Love Affair

Comment

• O, wow! Some of the best songs were saved for last:

Limbo songs... the ones we missed:
                        Yello - The Rhythm Divine (feat. Shirley Bassey)

Barbra Streisand - Evergreen

Mylene Farmer - L'Ame-Stram-Gram
                        My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• 1 - Will Young - Friday's Child - giving the edge to my boy Will here, Friday's Child is probably in my top 5 favourite Will songs, it's stupendously good.
                          2 - Ane Brun - Rubber & Soul (feat. Teitur) - this felt extremely different to everything else we've had from her so far, it was subtly very beautiful.
                          3 - Linda Ronstadt - Blue Bayou - I do love this song, and Linda sounds amazing on it.
                          4 - INXS - Elegantly Wasted - this was a delight to listen to, and a real joy after so many songs that haven't clicked with me. Awesome!
                          5 - Chaka Khan - The End of a Love Affair - a different side to Chaka, enjoyed this - her vocals are silky smooth.
                          6 - Sinead O'Connor - Fire On Babylon - the video is batshit crazy, but this was a really interesting song - better than the last one.

Comment

• 6 Will Young - Friday's Child: so so
                            5 Linda Ronstadt - Blue Bayou: okdidnt enjoy this too much
                            4 Ane Brun - Rubber & Soul (feat. Teitur): ok
                            2 INXS - Elegantly Wasted: very good!
                            1 Sinead O'Connor - Fire On Babylon: not my fav from her but strong lyrics and scary video
                            3 Chaka Khan - The End of a Love Affair: cool jazz song

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post
                              O, wow! Some of the best songs were saved for last:
                              we weren't warned about the eliminations before submitting songs
                              Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

• Originally posted by heppolo View Post
                                we weren't warned about the eliminations before submitting songs
                                I thought Leo told us about the elimination, that's why I chose the songs I really wanted to show in the first six rounds (as I knew LaFee would be an early out)

Comment

• Originally posted by Tansike View Post

I thought Leo told us about the elimination, that's why I chose the songs I really wanted to show in the first six rounds (as I knew LaFee would be an early out)
                                  I submitted almost immediately

Comment

• 01. Linda Ronstadt - Blue Bayou
                                    02. Chaka Khan - The End of a Love Affair
                                    03. Ane Brun - Rubber & Soul (feat. Teitur)
                                    04. Will Young - Friday's Child
                                    05. INXS - Elegantly Wasted
                                    06. Sinead O'Connor - Fire On Babylon

These were all uniformly excellent to me, and I had a very hard time ranking them. I kind of gave up really. I essentially defaulted to primarily ranking these based on how consistently I've enjoyed their music so far, but even then, Sinead and INXS have had some great songs. I do love the Chaka submission.

I agree with RayRay that there's some great songs in the limbo category too, including his! That was such a different Tina; I love it! I think it would have done well in the voting. And heppolo bringing in the big gun with Shirley Bassey - very rich sounding song for Yello. Mylene's song also had a nice dreamlike, surreal sound to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post

I agree with RayRay that there's some great songs in the limbo category too, including his! That was such a different Tina; I love it! I think it would have done well in the voting. And heppolo bringing in the big gun with Shirley Bassey - very rich sounding song for Yello. Mylene's song also had a nice dreamlike, surreal sound to it.
                                      Good to hear you like Tina doing something different. It's always difficult to foresee which song(s) will do best among the other members.

Yes, Shirley Bassey really gave that song something special.

Did you see Mylène's video? It's one of my favorites. Who knew she had a twin sister?

Comment

• Okay:

01. Linda Ronstadt - Blue Bayou
                                        02. Will Young - Friday's Child

Didn't really enjoy this bunch. And so it was hard to order them. But here are my results:

03. INXS - Elegantly Wasted
                                        04. Ane Brun - Rubber & Soul
                                        05. Sinead - Fire On Babylon
                                        06. Chaka Khan - The End of a Love Affair

Comment

• ROUND 9
                                          RANK THEM 1 (FAV) to 6 (LEAST FAV)
                                          1. Linda Ronstadt - Blue Bayou
                                          2. Sinead O'Connor - Fire On Babylon
                                          3. Ane Brun - Rubber & Soul (feat. Teitur)
                                          4. INXS - Elegantly Wasted
                                          5. Will Young - Friday's Child
                                          6. Chaka Khan - The End of a Love Affair

Comment

• 3 Will Young - Friday's Child

5 Linda Ronstadt - Blue Bayou

1 Ane Brun - Rubber & Soul (feat. Teitur)

6 INXS - Elegantly Wasted

2 Sinead O'Connor - Fire On Babylon

4 Chaka Khan - The End of a Love Affair
                                            last.fm

Comment

• "Elegantly Wasted" is my all-time favourite INXS song, the first one by them I heard as a child, I was 6, great memory and the music video was a bit scary to me back then

Comment

• Originally posted by heppolo View Post
                                                "Elegantly Wasted" is my all-time favourite INXS song, the first one by them I heard as a child, I was 6, great memory and the music video was a bit scary to me back then
                                                It was their last lead single featuring Michael Hutchence, released in 1997. Apparently the title and chorus is also known as sounds like 'I'm Better Than Oasis'. Haha. I left a massive hit song till last round.

1 INXS - Elegantly Wasted
                                                ​​​​​​2 Will Young - Friday's Child
                                                3 Linda Ronstadt - Blue Bayou
                                                4 Sinead O'Connor - Fire On Babylon
                                                5 Chaka Khan - The End of a Love Affair
                                                6 Ane Brun - Rubber & Soul (feat. Teitur)
                                                UKMIXtapes Vol.3 | ROUND 9!

Comment

Working...
                                                X