No announcement yet.

The Album Cup - The Greatest Hits Edition :: Round 9 SEMIFINALS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Even at first glance, I knew my top 3 were amazing - but I would argue that everything in my list (for me) from song 1 through 7 was great.

1 - Linda Ronstadt - Long, Long Time - totally, utterly adore it. Absolutely love this type of music, one of my favourites from Linda.
    2 - Will Young - Changes - a slow burner for me over the years, it's now easily among my favourite songs Will has done. I love it, the backing vocals towards the end are very effective.
    3 - Barbra Streisand - Tell Him - do I need to comment? One of the most underrated collaborations EVER, the meeting of two megastars. Glorious, and did I mention underrated? How this wasn't a global #1 is beyond me.
    4 - Ane Brun - Do You Remember- "Aaaaoo aoo aoo ao" - god, this was good. Fascinating video, I was reading the lyrics as she sang - even though it's very upbeat, she's singing about something quite sad (I think she's lamenting a relationship that has essentially past it's best).
    5 - Tina Arena - If I Was A River - ah, this was lovely! Probably my favourite so far from Tina - very 90s but very effective listening and a gorgeous bridge.
    6 - Sinead O'Connor - Don't Cry For Me Argentina - there is a very beautiful sorrow that reflects in just about every version of this song I've heard, and this was no different. In fact, I'd argue that Sinead elevated this beyond what I've previously heard - her vocals are remarkably good, totally loved this. The last 45 seconds are gorgeous.
    7 - INXS - By My Side - this felt very epic and grandiose, very much what I came to expect from early 90s U2. Great song.
    8 - Echo & The Bunnymen - Silver - less good than the last song, but still alright.
    9 - Chaka Khan - Everywhere - I didn't know she'd covered this! the Fleetwood Mac original is one of my favourite songs of all-time, and I'm sorry to say that I wasn't hugely fond of what she did with this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayne View Post
      3 - Barbra Streisand - Tell Him - do I need to comment? One of the most underrated collaborations EVER, the meeting of two megastars. Glorious, and did I mention underrated? How this wasn't a global #1 is beyond me.

5 - Tina Arena - If I Was A River - ah, this was lovely! Probably my favourite so far from Tina - very 90s but very effective listening and a gorgeous bridge.
      I believe Tell Him wasn't released everywhere? Anyway, it was #1 here in the Netherlands. Rightfully so.

Not surprised you liked If I Was A River. Like several of Celine Dion's 90s songs, this was written by Diane Warren and produced by Walter Afanasieff.
      My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• 1 - Barbra Streisand - Tell Him - Stunning duet with Celine Dion. As soon as Celine starts to sing, this goes right to my spine. LOVE it.

2 - Tina Arena - If I Was A River - Written by one of my favorite songwriters (Diane Warren) and produced by Walter Afanasieff (Mariah, Celine). Hard to go wrong there. Can't believe it wasn't a huge hit around the world.

3 - Sinead O'Connor - Don't Cry For Me Argentina - Such a beautiful song. And although as a Madonna fan, I LOVE Madonna's version, I knew this years before and couldn't believe how beautiful it was. Along with Elton John's Sacrifice, this is the most stunning cover Sinead has recorded IMO.

4 - Chaka Khan - Everywhere - Never heard this before. Nice to hear a completely different version than the original, but not as good.

5 - Will Young - Changes - Maybe because I've just heard it once now, but this doesn't do much for me. Will is very hit or miss for me.

6 - Linda Ronstadt - Long, Long Time - Okay.

7 - INXS - By My Side - Okay.

8 - Ane Brun - Do You Remember- Okay.

9 - Echo & The Bunnymen - Silver - Okay.

No bad songs this round, but #6 to #9 were very close and could easily be swapped around if I had heard the songs more than once.

Comment

• 5 Will Young - Changes
          8 Barbra Streisand - Tell Him
          7 Tina Arena - If I Was A River
          2 Linda Ronstadt - Long, Long Time
          1 Ane Brun - Do You Remember
          3 Echo & The Bunnymen - Silver
          9 INXS - By My Side
          4 Sinead O'Connor - Don't Cry For Me Argentina
          6 Chaka Khan - Everywhere
          last.fm

Comment

• 1 - INXS - By My Side
            2 - Will Young - Changes
            3 - Echo & The Bunnymen - Silver
            4 - Ane Brun - Do You Remember
            5 - Linda Ronstadt - Long, Long Time
            6 - Tina Arena - If I Was A River
            7 - Sinead O'Connor - Don't Cry For Me Argentina
            8 - Chaka Khan - Everywhere
            9 - Barbra Streisand - Tell Him
            Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

• Kinda shocked to see Mylène already leaving so soon, thought she would go further

Comment

• 1. INXS - By My Side (One of my favourite INXS songs. Always makes me think of that 00s NRMA add though @Affiliate
                2. Will Young - Changes (A return to form here)
                3. Linda Ronstadt - Long, Long Time (A pretty song. I prefer her softer vocals)
                4. Tina Arena - If I Was A River (Sweet song, but she's had more memorable ones)
                5. Chaka Khan - Everywhere (Interesting take on a classic)
                6. Sinead O'Connor - Don't Cry For Me Argentina (Nice delicate vocals, but kinda hollow when I compare it to Madonna's version)
                7. Ane Brun - Do You Remember (I don't enjoy this style from her)
                8. Barbra Streisand - Tell Him (I love Céline but this has always been a huge borefest for me)
                9. Echo & The Bunnymen - Silver (Wasn't a fan of this one)

Comment

• 1 Linda Ronstadt - Long, Long Time
                  2 Ane Brun - Do You Remember
                  3 Chaka Khan - Everywhere
                  4 Will Young - Changes
                  5 Tina Arena - If I Was A River
                  6 Barbra Streisand - Tell Him
                  7 INXS - By My Side
                  8 Echo & The Bunnymen - Silver
                  9 Sinead O'Connor - Don't Cry For Me Argentina

I have to thank Leo for this Album Cup because I did not know Long, Long Time before it, it was a new discovery for me, and it's so beautiful. It's been on repeat for me since. The Ane Brun song was a nice surprise, something a little bit more upbeat from her - she's been the most surprising entry. LOVE Chaka's take on Everywhere - there's kind of an island groove to it that really captures the wanderlust of the song. Will and Tina were enjoyable.

The Barbra-Celine duet is fine - obviously the voices are on point, but I think I like the lyrics more than the music. INXS had some nice dynamism, and Echo's song reminded me a bit of another 80s group called ABC. I guess I'm really polarized about Sinead - her last entry blew me away, but this moved too slowly for me. I looked this entry up and can hardly believe it's from the same album.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tansike View Post
                    Kinda shocked to see Mylène already leaving so soon, thought she would go further
                    I hoped she'd go further too. Guess the last song wasn't a great choice for this competition.

Comment

• 6 Will Young - Changes: ok
                      9 Barbra Streisand - Tell Him: I respect this duet, definetly two power names together. I've always found the song bland though.
                      7 Tina Arena - If I Was A River: mixed feelings, but I think I like it more than not.
                      5 Linda Ronstadt - Long, Long Time: good
                      4 Ane Brun - Do You Remember: quite a departure from previous songs. I applaud that despite the fact I didn't love the song.
                      3 Echo & The Bunnymen - Silver: good as usual
                      2 INXS - By My Side: solid
                      1 Sinead O'Connor - Don't Cry For Me Argentina: I was familiar to this version prior madonna's one, and always felt this one is far superior. And I am a madonna fan.
                      8 Chaka Khan - Everywhere: ok
                      ENJOY UKMIX Retro Charts Records! Chart Facts, Year-End charts, Records and more...

Comment

• ROUND 7
                        RANK THEM 1 (FAV) to 9 (LEAST FAV)

1. Echo & The Bunnymen - Silver
                        2. INXS - By My Side
                        3. Ane Brun - Do You Remember
                        4. Will Young - Changes
                        5. Linda Ronstadt - Long, Long Time
                        6. Sinead O'Connor - Don't Cry For Me Argentina
                        7. Chaka Khan - Everywhere
                        8. Tina Arena - If I Was A River
                        9. Barbra Streisand - Tell Him

Comment

• 1 Chaka Khan - Everywhere: 8/10 - groovy, but not her best.
                          2 INXS - By My Side: 8/10 - haunting. I liked this!
                          3 Echo & The Bunnymen - Silver: 8/10 - this was eclectic and fun in parts. Definitely a memorable track.
                          4 Barbra Streisand - Tell Him: 8/10 - beautiful!
                          5 Sinead O'Connor - Don't Cry For Me Argentina: 8/10 - ah, I don't know why I'm surprised by it, but this was a beautiful interpretation.
                          6 Linda Ronstadt - Long, Long Time: 8/10 - beautiful song with rich country elements.
                          7 Tina Arena - If I Was A River: 7.5/10 - almost painfully safe, but I like it anyway.
                          8 Will Young - Changes: 7/10 - plain and simple; at points, sometimes to its detriment.
                          9 Ane Brun - Do You Remember: 7/10 - this kinda came and went.
                          Akini's Top 100 Artists of the Decade: [#1]

Comment

• Thanks Leo for extending the deadline a bit compared to previous rounds. I was worried I couldn't vote in this round as I won't have time before tomorrow, but I just saw we still have more than a day left to vote

Comment

• 1 Barbra Streisand - Tell Him
                              2 Tina Arena - If I Was A River
                              3 Will Young - Changes
                              4 Sinead O'Connor - Don't Cry For Me Argentina
                              5 Linda Ronstadt - Long, Long Time
                              6 INXS - By My Side
                              7 Chaka Khan - Everywhere
                              8 Ane Brun - Do You Remember
                              9 Echo & The Bunnymen - Silver

Comment

• Originally posted by GaGarazzi View Post
                                (One of my favourite INXS songs. Always makes me think of that 00s NRMA add though @Affiliate
                                Hah yes a few of their songs have been used in adverts.

1 INXS - By My Side
                                2 Barbra Streisand - Tell Him
                                3 Tina Arena - If I Was A River
                                4 Will Young - Changes
                                5 Chaka Khan - Everywhere
                                6 Sinead O'Connor - Don't Cry For Me Argentina
                                7 Echo & The Bunnymen - Silver
                                8 Ane Brun - Do You Remember
                                9 Linda Ronstadt - Long, Long Time

UKMIXtapes Vol.3 | ROUND 9!

Comment

• 01. INXS - By My Side [FAVE]
                                  02. Linda Ronstadt - Long, Long Time
                                  03. Ane Brun - Do You Remember
                                  04. Echo & The Bunnymen - Silver
                                  05. Barbra Streisand - Tell Him
                                  06. Tina Arena - If I Was A River
                                  07. Sinead O'Connor - Don't Cry For Me Argentina
                                  08. Will Young - Changes
                                  09. Chaka Khan - Everywhere

Comment

• LEADERBOARD

1. (1) (6) (2) (5) (8) (3) (3.45)

2. (3) (2) (1) (3) (2) (2) (3.50)

3. (2) (3) (3) (6) (4) (8) (3.62)

4. (4) (4) (7) (7) (6) (4) (3.72)

5. (6) (1) (4) (1) (1) (10) (3.76)

6. (5) (5) (10) (8) (3) (1) (3.86)

7. (8) (9) (6) (9) (9) (6) (3.96)

8. (7) (7) (5) (10) (7) (5) (3.98)

9. (4.03)

Thanks Spiral for submitting Barbra! She exits in the 9th place. She was definetly one of the power voices of this competition.
                                    ENJOY UKMIX Retro Charts Records! Chart Facts, Year-End charts, Records and more...

Comment

• heppolo
                                      GaGarazzi
                                      cheapthrills
                                      Wayne
                                      Carbon
                                      Spiral
                                      Tansike
                                      navi
                                      JSparksFan
                                      RayRay
                                      LastDreamer
                                      Affillate

Comment

• Wish i could change my song #10, such a rushed choice but who knows, maybe won’t need it
                                        last.fm

Comment

• Sad to see Babs go, especially on the back of such a stunning song.

Comment

• 1 - Will Young - Hopes & Fears - probably in my top 5 Will Young songs, totally love it. Optimistic, and poppy - so good to listen to.
                                            2 - Ane Brun - Song No. 6 (feat. Ron Sexsmith) - another bonkers video, but an incredible song nonetheless, really unusual structure in terms of the melodies.
                                            3 - Chaka Khan - I Know You, I Live You - this was a total delight for the ears, the horns, drums and those piercing vocals were a triumph.
                                            4 - Linda Ronstadt - Somewhere Out There - I am smitten with her, her vocals are utterly splendid. This isn't a favourite song of hers for me personally, but I am in total love with her music so it's all good.
                                            5 - Echo & The Bunnymen - Rust - thoroughly enjoyed this, was like Bono's vocals meets an Oasis track. Probably my favourite from them yet.
                                            6 - Tina Arena - Burn - this was quite nice, very typical 90s fare but lovely vocals.
                                            7 - Sinead O'Connor - Thank You for Hearing Me - this was a bit of a miss for me, probably for the first time in this competition - didn't really enjoy it.
                                            8 - INXS - I Send A Message - I think their earlier songs in this competition were so much better, I've not hugely connected with anything from them now for a couple of rounds.

Comment

• 1 - Tina Arena - Burn - Great voice. Lovely lyrics, very poetic. Good choice as lead single from the In Deep album.

2 - Will Young - Hopes & Fears - Never heard it before, but I really like it.

3 - Linda Ronstadt - Somewhere Out There - I like it, but it would have been better with stronger vocals like Celine Dion.

4 - Sinead O'Connor - Thank You for Hearing Me - Always nice to hear Sinead on a softer song.

5 - Chaka Khan - I Know You, I Live You - Okay.

6 - Echo & The Bunnymen - Rust - Not really my thing.

7 - Ane Brun - Song No. 6 (feat. Ron Sexsmith) - Didn't enjoy this as much of some of her other songs.

8 - INXS - I Send A Message - Didn't really like this one.

Comment

• Not a big fan of any of these tbh

1. Echo & The Bunnymen - Rust
                                                2. Chaka Khan - I Know You, I Live You
                                                3. INXS - I Send A Message
                                                4. Tina Arena - Burn
                                                5. Will Young - Hopes & Fears
                                                6. Linda Ronstadt - Somewhere Out There
                                                7. Sinead O'Connor - Thank You for Hearing Me
                                                8. Ane Brun - Song No. 6 (feat. Ron Sexsmith)

Comment

Working...
                                                X