No announcement yet.

When The Ultimate Divine Comedy Survivor Is Done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right, we can begin. My name is... Alfie?

Now everybody knows one thing, right, no means yes. Just like glasses come free on the NHS! I'm guessing you have to be a particular income bracket, or benefit recipient to get free glasses on the NHS - mine certainly weren't free, and I don't think they would have been had I got them back in 1996 when "Becoming More Like Alfie" was released. It's a huge classic from the Divine Comedy, and would have got a near perfect score in round 1 was it not that it was head to head with "Generation Sex" - which is still standing in this survivor. Anyway - it's amazing, it's a totally deserved top 5 place, but it's not our winner.

20. The Life and Soul of the Party
    19. Perfect Lovesong
    18. The Sweet Spot
    17. At The Indie Disco
    16. Regeneration
    15. Tango Ballad (with Ute Lemper)
    14. Bad Ambassador
    13. The Pop Singer's Fear Of The Pollen Count ;99
    12. Gin Soaked Boy
    11. National Express
    10. Arthur C. Clarke's Mysterious World
    9. To Die A Virgin
    8. I Like
    7. Norman and Norma
    6. Something For The Weekend
    5. Perfection As A Hipster
    4. Becoming More Like Alfie

Round 53

Generation Sex
    Come Home Billy Bird
    Bang Goes The Knighthood

Vote out your least favourite. The one with the most votes will miss out on the final

Comment

• Come Home Billy Bird

Comment

• Come Home Billy Bird

Comment

• Round 53
          Vote out your least favourite

Bang Goes The Knighthood

Comment

• What a flawless top three! Too bad one can't make the final.

Generation Sex

Comment

• OUT
              Bang Goes The Knighthood
              trebor's - 2016 in Country Music
              trebor's - 2015 in Country Music

Comment

• Come Home Billy Bird
                My last.fm

Comment

• Bang Goes The Knighthood
                  My celebrity crushes : Monika Sedziuviene, Kristina Ivanova (YVA).
                  In my head I like to imagine LastDreamer in the land of Lithuania right now with a suitcase of simcards, a box of chocolates and a wedding ring. It would be a great base for an epic Eurovision fan fiction.

Comment

• Well, that was all rather tight! What happens in the end though? Well, in third place, it's the highest entry to feature one William Bird. It was back in 2004 we first got introduced to him, going away on a business trip to Belgium, getting rather drunk with some of his Belgian colleagues and then oversleeping and nearly missing his flight. In the end he just makes it to the flight, and then because his luggage is just that bit too big to fit in the hand luggage, and him not wanting to wait around, he leaves it on the carousel. Eventually he gets back just in time to see his son play his first big school football match. This heartwarming tale made it into the UK top 30 back in 2004 - the penultimate top 40 hit the Divine Comedy ever had, and I'm sure there's plenty of people who still haven't forgiven Neil for killing Billy Bird off in "Opportunity Knox" so many years later. Time to lose "Come Home Billy Bird"

20. The Life and Soul of the Party
                    19. Perfect Lovesong
                    18. The Sweet Spot
                    17. At The Indie Disco
                    16. Regeneration
                    15. Tango Ballad (with Ute Lemper)
                    14. Bad Ambassador
                    13. The Pop Singer's Fear Of The Pollen Count ;99
                    12. Gin Soaked Boy
                    11. National Express
                    10. Arthur C. Clarke's Mysterious World
                    9. To Die A Virgin
                    8. I Like
                    7. Norman and Norma
                    6. Something For The Weekend
                    5. Perfection As A Hipster
                    4. Becoming More Like Alfie
                    3. Come Home Billy Bird

Comment

• Final Round

So here we are, we're into the final, But what do we have to choose between?

Generation Sex

"Generation Sex" really is a song of its time. There's samples in it from your stereotypical 90s talk shows - sort of Ricki Lake or early Jerry Springer. There's a whole verse dedicated to the death of Lady Diana - really summing up the stupidity of everyone who when she had died all rushed out to read about it in the tabloid press - the very same tabloid press who had been chasing her that caused the crash in the first place. There's tales of women stripping, of predatory men, there's really all sorts of things in this song. Plus, it has "Sex" in the title.

Bang Goes The Knighthood

The other song in the final doesn't have sex in the title. However thematically, it is by far the more X-Rated of the two! It's the tale of someone high up in society who chooses to visit a sadomasochistic sex club, and knows that if any of this came out into the public domain, his life would be ruined. It's really summed up by the final line "Chain me, restrain me, and teach me to yield. Bind me and grind me beneath your high heels. Crack goes the whip, and if someone should tell... bang goes the knighthood as well!" I didn't actually feature this one in the Artists Cup, and there was a deliberate reason for that. This is the song I was leaving right until the end, assuming I made it all the way to the final. I thought back then it would be popular, and it has proved it here, but can it go all the way?

Vote for your favourite

Comment

• Now I absolutely love both of these songs. "Generation Sex" was top 120 of all time for me last time I did my all time chart - my 6th highest Divine Comedy entry. However, that was before the phenomenal album "Bang Goes The Knighthood", and I really do feel that the title track is flawless, so I just have to vote for "Bang Goes The Knighthood" to win.

Comment

• As a fan of Kenickie I wanted to see "Come Home Billy Bird" in the final.

Bang Goes The Knighthood

I want to believe that Neil's lyrical character was happy after the visit and didn't lose his knighthood.
                          Last edited by LastDreamer; Thu May 6, 2021, 18:52.
                          My celebrity crushes : Monika Sedziuviene, Kristina Ivanova (YVA).
                          In my head I like to imagine LastDreamer in the land of Lithuania right now with a suitcase of simcards, a box of chocolates and a wedding ring. It would be a great base for an epic Eurovision fan fiction.

Comment

• Final Round
                            Vote for your favourite

Generation Sex

Comment

• FTW: Generation Sex
                              trebor's - 2016 in Country Music
                              trebor's - 2015 in Country Music

Comment

• Generation Sex

Comment

• Generation Sex
                                  Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

• I thought about voting strategically against Bang so Billy Bird could make the final, but I couldn't do that to it. Ideally, it would have finished Billy,then
                                    Bang, then Sex but it appears it will be the reverse of that.

In any case, Bang for the win.

Comment

• Hard to choose between them, as I love them both, but just edging the win for me is...

Bang Goes The Knighthood
                                      My last.fm

Comment

• Well - time for the final result. We actually got one other voter in the final round, and that made all the difference... as we have a dead heat! It's 4-4!

However, we don't do ties in this survivor. The cumulative scores, are as follows - adding up the average points for each of the two songs in each of the four list stages, and then subtracting one for every vote out and adding one for every vote to save...

Generation Sex - 35.05
                                        Bang Goes The Knighthood - 33.6333

Therefore, by frankly a fraction of a cumulative vote, the winner is Generation Sex!

Generation sex respects the rights of girls
                                        Who want to take their clothes off
                                        As long as we can all watch that’s okay
                                        And generation sex elects the type of guys
                                        You wouldn’t leave your kids with
                                        And shouts “off with their heads” if they get laid

Lovers watch their backs as hacks in macs
                                        Take snaps through telephoto lenses
                                        Chase Mercedes Benz’ through the night
                                        A mourning nation weeps and wails
                                        But keeps the sales of evil tabloids healthy
                                        The poor protect the wealthy in this world

Generation sex injects the sperm of worms
                                        Into the eggs of field-mice
                                        So you can look real nice for the boys
                                        And generation sex is me and you
                                        And we should really all know better
                                        It doesn’t really matter what you say
                                        A huge thank you to everyone who took part in what was a really enjoyable journey through the Divine Comedy career.

Comment

• Thanks, matthew - I enjoyed exploring their discography - even if that top three isn't in the exact order I'd like, it's still a perfect group.

I'll add Generation Sex to the SOS!

Comment

• As always great conducted Matthew

Comment

• Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                                              Thanks, matthew - I enjoyed exploring their discography
                                              One of the joys of this survivor was people like you taking part - my guess is you will have known next to none of their songs before the survivor - but got a chance to listen through the songs.

Comment

Working...
                                              X