SONG COLLECTORS VI | WINNER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All songs set. Sending to Judges.

Scores will be out of 6, in 0.5 increments. If you'd like, should the theme allow for some subjectivity, use two scores out of 3 for connection to the theme and one for your personal vibe of the song.

0 | 0.5 | 1 | 1.5 | 2. ... up to 6 etc.

Comment

Someone selected the song I wanted to be submitted! Couple of out there choices I think.

Comment

Sending my votes! I did not use the 3+3 approach, although connection to the subject did influence my vote a little.
        CHECK UKMIX RETRO Chart Facts
        FIRST CYCLE or SECOND CYCLE

Comment

Affillate Are there eliminations each round or?
          last.fm

Comment

Originally posted by Carbon View Post
            Affillate Are there eliminations each round or?
            Its like Dancing With The Stars, no elim round 1, then R1 + R2 score or average is used for elimination in R2, and so on.

While we wait on other two Judges, A song I almost chose (but no one else did) and was released 20 years ago this week! Gabrielles' Out of Reach (from Bridget Jones' Diary).

Comment

Good first round.
              Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 Flowers
              AlbumClash 2.0: [SZA vs. Ava Max]

"These gays, they're trying to murder me."

Comment

Just Waitin on Wayne 's scores.

here's a little tune from Kelis: 'Trick Me'

Comment

Sent my scores - a couple of standouts this round!

Comment

Results coming soonish (next few hours)

Comment

A song from The Cardigans, Lovefool as we kick off the results for R1:

ROUND 1 - APRIL FOOLS - RESULTS

Bee Gees - I Started A Joke [TREBOR]
                      LEO:
                      A solid start from this collector! I don't generally enjoy BeeGees but here it brings a very good song. Love the classic arrengement and vocals. 5.5
                      JSPARKSFAN: 4.5 A nice little tune. It got progressively better.
                      WAYNE: one of the more underrated Bee Gees song, unique in that the lead vocal is by the most underrated vocalist in the group Robin. Beautifully poignant song, and a creative selection for the round. I award the song 5.5 points.

Blur - Fools Day [NAVI]
                      LEO: The song is quite cool! It gives a perfect feeling of a B-Side track that you are happy to find in a single. Great choice again. Song of the round for me! 6
                      JSPARKSFAN: 5.5 Fantastic instrumentation. It's quite understated in its beauty, but hits hard overall. Bonus points for the most direct link to the theme, too.
                      WAYNE: I don't think I've heard this before, but I did quite like it. Damon's laidback vocals with that strong British accent have always been enjoyable to me. Whilst "fool" features in the title, I don't think this was a strong match to the theme. I award the song 3.5 points.

Dionne Warwick - The April Fools [SONIA85]
                      LEO: Is an ok little song. Not fussed about it though. 3
                      JSPARKSFAN: 5 A softer vocal from Dionne, but there are some bits that are truly beautiful.
                      WAYNE: how can you not love vintage Dionne? Her voice was so special, and there was a very clever link to the theme...through reflecting on her luck at finding love, she asks herself whether they're both April fools, whether what they've found is really true. I award the song 5.0 points.

Emeli Sande - Clown [COLBIE]
                      LEO: Ok song. Emeli sings nicely although she lacks depth. 2
                      JSPARKSFAN: 5.5 Great lyrics and emotion.
                      WAYNE: absolutely love the song, it's always been a favourite of mine. And what a brilliant link to the theme as Emeli's lyrics tell her story of trying to get into the music industry without success, with people telling her she's not good enough. I award the song 5.5 points.

Evanescence - Everybody's Fool [AFFILLATE]
                      LEO:So good to be shaken up a little after the previous choice. Nice! 4
                      JSPARKSFAN: 4 Average song. Nothing too gripping here.
                      WAYNE: it's a bit heavy for my liking, but admire the link to the theme. I award the song 3.5 points.

Kylie Minogue - What Kind of Fool (Heard All That Before) [GABRIELFLORIN01]
                      LEO:I am not a fan of her pre-Fever work. This is a little basic pop to my ears. 2
                      JSPARKSFAN: 5 A bouncy, fun take on the theme. Repetitive, yes, but its charm more than compensates.
                      WAYNE: it's campy and all kinds of brilliant with a great link to the theme. I award the song 4.5 points and predict that Thriller entered this.

Lady Gaga - Fooled Me Again (Honest Eyes) [GAGARAZZI]
                      LEO: Enjoyed this unpolished song from Gaga. It's no masterpiece but gets attention 3.5
                      JSPARKSFAN: 4.5 Not bad, though I did spend the whole song's runtime thinking of "Brown Eyes".
                      WAYNE: it suffers from poor production (presumably as it wasn't released) but enjoyed it for what it is. Good link to the theme. I award the song 4.0 points.

Rufus Wainwright - April Fools [CARBON]
                      LEO: A little overproduced I think but the video was good and the song too. 3.5
                      JSPARKSFAN: 2 This was dry and uneventful.
                      WAYNE: don't think I've heard this before, but loved it! Video is fairly dark, so had to read up on the track - makes sense. He's singing about things going wrong, everyday being like an April's fool - decent link to the theme. I award the song 4.5 points.

Storm Queen - For A Fool [THRILLER]
                      LEO: Nice one! The kind of songs i enjoy listening while doing something else, makes you dance a little bit. 4
                      JSPARKSFAN: 4.5 Enjoyable.
                      WAYNE: beyond that (really) annoying "ooh" that intermittently crops up, this was alright. I award the song 2.5 points.

Tegan and Sara - I Was A Fool [FLOPHO]
                      LEO: I like this song. Hard for me to rate it as I feel a loose connection to my expectations around April's Fool It happened to other entries too 3
                      JSPARKSFAN: 4 Passable, albeit tame, submission.
                      WAYNE: quite nice, with a decent link back to the theme as she talks about fighting hard for a relationship she knew was doomed to fail. I award the song 3.5 points.

Tina Turner - A Fool In Love [CHEAPTHRILLS]
                      LEO: Tina is the goddess such a presence! The song is ok. 3
                      JSPARKSFAN: 6 That call and response Motown-esque structure is a classic one. The toast of the round.
                      WAYNE: this was the song I hoped someone would choose! Amazing performance from Tina, hard to believe this was her first solo vocal performance and it happened by mistake! Great link to the theme as well, as Tina sings about sticking by her man, despite knowing how poorly she was being treated - quite a sad song in hindsight, especially given we know she tried to commit suicide. I award the song 5.5 points.

Tyler James - Foolish [SPARTAN]
                      LEO: Ok song. Another song with too many layers imo. 2.5
                      JSPARKSFAN: 5.5 An intriguing listen from start to finish. Love the falsetto bits.
                      WAYNE: that hair was near unforgivable! Good song and good link to the theme. I award the song 3.0 points.

Scores Round 1
                      trebor Bee Gees - I Started A Joke 15.5
                      navi Blur - Fools Day 15
                      Cheapthrills Tina Turner - A Fool In Love 14.5
                      sonia85 Dionne Warwick - The April Fools 13
                      Colbie Emeli Sande - Clown 13
                      GaGarazzi Lady Gaga - Fooled Me Again (Honest Eyes) 12
                      Affillate Evanescence - Everybody's Fool 11.5
                      gabrielflorin01 Kylie Minogue - What Kind of Fool (Heard All That Before) 11.5
                      Thriller Storm Queen - For A Fool 11
                      Spartan Tyler James - Foolish 11
                      flopho Tegan and Sara - I Was A Fool 10.5
                      Carbon Rufus Wainwright - April Fools 10
                      Trebor has the song of the round with the Bee Gees, and has also won an IMMUNITY PASS. You may use this Pass for any round along with your song submission up until the Final 6 round. If you are eliminated without using the pass, it it pass to the winner of that round.

Round 2 Theme Coming soon (Possibly tomorrow).

Contestants
                      1. Colbie
                      2. Thriller
                      3. Carbon
                      4. gabrielflorin01
                      5. GaGarazzi
                      6. flopho
                      7. sonia85
                      8. navi
                      9. Spartan
                      10. trebor
                      11. cheapthrills
                      12. Affillate

Comment

Lazy post of the song links submitted:
                        Bee Gees - I Started A Joke https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrg1UAixGaM
                        Blur - Fools Day https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huFBnYok4ag
                        Dionne Warwick - The April Fools https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWwu2xdrvHw
                        Emeli Sande - Clown https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OHX_PA25Ok
                        Evanescence - Everybody's Fool https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhC1pI76Rqo
                        Kylie Minogue - What Kind of Fool (Heard All That Before) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiqlquKXHZo
                        Lady Gaga - Fooled Me Again (Honest Eyes) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYBTqDh9P8
                        Rufus Wainwright - April Fools https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIF6f3tFxBw
                        Storm Queen - For A Fool https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbbZfiyyQLM
                        Tegan and Sara - I Was A Fool https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZHGeg_0Rlo
                        Tina Turner - A Fool In Love https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwaxT7zL7kA
                        Tyler James - Foolish https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jun_E9IrYpk

Comment

Rufus didn’t deserve to come last, one of the more interesting songs. Pleasantly surprised that the Bee Gees came first, and pleased that Tina did so well.

Looking forward to R2’s theme!

Comment

Phew! I was hoping Tina would be a safe enough pick to prevent from going out first.

Leo is clearly the Simon Cowell of the group.

Low-key annoyed Wayne would have submitted Tina also and yet, I still didn't quite get a perfect score from him Come through, Akini!

I thought of Tina and submit almost immediately. I was second-guessing myself and had an alternate in mind until I saw Wayne's comment and thought he was referring to my entry.

Comment

I survived!

Comment

Originally posted by gabrielflorin01 View Post
                                I survived!
                                My sentiments exactly! I thought i would come last

Comment

Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                                  Leo is clearly the Simon Cowell of the group.
                                  No way!

I enjoyed the round! My two favs ended up atop which is cool. But there were no "bad" entries which is great!
                                  I do think that April's fool was too linked to "being a fool in love" concept, but for me it was about joking around. That's why I didn't rate based on the topic as a non english-native speaker my interpretation of April's Fool may be too lineal.

And a little warning: kylie is adored everywhere and god save her and all that stuff but I would prevent you for submitting songs by her, at least pre-Fever ones.

CHECK UKMIX RETRO Chart Facts
                                  FIRST CYCLE or SECOND CYCLE

Comment

Not the best start but at least not at the bottom (note to self, the judges like boring songs)

I’d have never considered Kylie for that as it’s one of her worst singles!

Comment

Originally posted by Thriller View Post
                                      I just see Kylie and think of you.

Comment

This is probably my worst placement in this game ever but there was some good competition this round!
                                        I considered Foolish by Ashanti and Lovefool amongst others, feel like these would've done better in the end but oh well.
                                        Scared of next round
                                        Ne me cherche pas, je ne suis plus là, baby

Comment

Originally posted by Thriller View Post
                                          Not the best start but at least not at the bottom (note to self, the judges like boring songs)

The leaderboard is clearly in reverse.

Comment

Aw, thank you!
                                            trebor's - 2016 in Country Music
                                            trebor's - 2015 in Country Music

Comment

Yeah there were a few choices like Shakira - Fool, LeeAnn Rimes - Life Goes On, Troye Sivan -Fools, Jewel - Foolish Games, One Direction - Fool's Gold, etc.

Anyways, R2 theme up in a minute. Theres a wide range for this one too.

Comment

ROUND 2 - RELIGION IMAGERY

So as not to influence the song selection (except for one) until after the songs are set; Lets just say we Just had Easter, and also earlier this year the release of the miniseries It's A Sin, which got some good reviews over in the Entertainment forum.

This had me thinking of songs which use Religion/Spirituality concepts/objects as similes, Metaphors, etc. Lets set the deadline for submission by Monday 12th April for now.

Contestants
                                                1. Colbie
                                                2. Thriller
                                                3. Carbon
                                                4. gabrielflorin01
                                                5. GaGarazzi
                                                6. flopho
                                                7. sonia85
                                                8. navi
                                                9. Spartan
                                                10. trebor
                                                11. cheapthrills
                                                12. Affillate

Comment

Sent!

Comment

Sent!
                                                    Went for a safer choice imo instead of someting daring or out of the box
                                                    Last edited by Colbie; Fri April 9, 2021, 14:12.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X