• Originally posted by Thriller View Post
      Did the judges come back?
      Not all.
      Akini's Top 100 Songs of 2022: [70-66]
      Akini's Top 25 Albums of 2022: [Starting 12/19]
      Akini's Top 25 Artists of 2022: [Starting 12/26]
      Akini's Top 100 Albums of All-Time: [#17]
      Akini's Favourite Music Videos: [50-46]
      Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 Anti-Hero (5 weeks)
      AlbumClash 2.0: [Rosalķa vs. Steve Lacy]

History doesn't repeat itself, but it rhymes.

Comment

• Just waiting on Leo Scores.

Here's the Hanson brothers with If Only:

Also good timing kinda fits with this theme, Its also 20th Anniversary of Big Brother Australia's first season launch (as noted in my Personal Chart Aussie/NZ Spotlight Thread) and the current Season started on Monday Night.

Comment

• Mmmm not a bop

Comment

• I have all the votes will tally everything up today.

While I do So, Here is Sheppard with Geronimo:

Comment

• Sorry, so I was the one missing this time! Nice set but still I am not conquered.
              CHECK UKMIX RETRO Chart Facts
              FIRST CYCLE or SECOND CYCLE

Comment

• Looking forward to the results! Love that Sheppard song.

Comment

• Results are in! Here's also Jonas Brothers with Cool/Burnin' Up from SNL in 2019.

ROUND 3 - SIBLINGS - RESULTS

Carpenters - Solitaire [SPARTAN]
                  LEO: A nice song. An expected selection of siblings but with not the usual song so I am fine with this. 4.0
                  JSPARKSFAN: Beautiful classic. 5
                  WAYNE: Carpenters - Solitaire - one of my favourite songs of ALL-TIME, those vocals are something else and the emotion behind this song is SO palpable, utterly stunning. Great fit to the theme, I award the song 6.0 points. 6

Everly Brothers - Bye Bye Love [COLBIE]
                  LEO: I didn't like this version of this great songā€¦ Still a cool selection of siblings and a classic song. 4.5
                  JSPARKSFAN: Not bad, but not particularly memorable either. 4
                  WAYNE: Everly Brothers - Bye Bye Love - oh what a throwback, amazing that this was recorded in 1957! Lovely song, I award the song 4.5 points. 4.5

First Aid Kit - Emmylou [CHEAPTHRILLS]
                  LEO: Emmylou is someone that captivates me for some reason I still don't know. So the sogn captured me, and I don't see too much Emmylou in it but still loved the atmosphere and the video. Song of the round for me. 6.0
                  JSPARKSFAN: Beautiful interpretation. 5
                  WAYNE: First Aid Kit - Emmylou - I love their voices together, and how lovely to see how moved Emmylou was by their performance. I award the song 5.0 points. 5

First Aid Kit - Stay Gold [CARBON]
                  LEO: 2 Toris, 2 FAKā€¦ you guys are all connected! Beautiful song, their voices merge and the flow of the songs touches me. 5.0
                  JSPARKSFAN: An equally beautiful interpretation! 5
                  WAYNE: First Aid Kit - Stay Gold - interesting that two people selected them, this was as awesome as Emmylou (but for different reasons). I feel like this is an act I'd like if I delved a bit deeper into their discography. I award the song 5.0 points. 5

HAIM - If I Could Change Your Mind [FLOPHO]
                  LEO: HAIM is, imo, one of the strongest bands around: they have yet to deliver their best thing, and that is something magical to feel. 5.5
                  JSPARKSFAN: Enjoyable, repeat-worthy. 4.5
                  WAYNE: HAIM - If I Could Change Your Mind - I find HAIM to be very hit or miss with their songs, this was a hit, great song. I award the song 5.0 points. 5

Kylie & Dannii Minogue - 100 Degrees (It's Still Disco To Me) [GABRIELFLORIN01]
                  LEO: Their voices are so similar that this is not a duet at all. Cool song. 3.0
                  JSPARKSFAN: Ooh, this was a bop! 6
                  WAYNE: Kylie & Dannii Minogue - 100 Degrees (It's Still Disco To Me) - it's a good link to the theme but it feels a bit naff as a song I don't think I've heard it before, it feels very Jane McDonald. I award the song 4.0 points. 4

Marvin Gaye - What's Happening Brother [SONIA85]
                  LEO: Extra point for thinking differently here. Kind of a safe choice though. 4.0
                  JSPARKSFAN: Dry and dreary. 3.5
                  WAYNE: Marvin Gaye - What's Happening Brother - this is the only song where the link to the theme comes solely from the song, rather than the act. I quite like that someone hasn't been obvious with their selection but this isn't about siblings is it, even if the title would have you think it is? Important song regardless and very relevant to its time (and arguably even today, as we should all be looking out for each other - our brothers and sisters, as it were - more than ever). I award the song 4.0 points, on the basis that it doesn't quite fit the theme. 4

S2S (Sister 2 Sister) - Sister [AFFILLATE]
                  LEO: Ok 90s pop song, but kind of unimpressive the song itself. 2.0
                  JSPARKSFAN: This has a level of sanguinity that should be difficult to digest, but I'm here for it! Uber cute. 4.5
                  WAYNE: S2S (Sister 2 Sister) - Sister - a double whammy, with the link coming from the act and the song! Cute lyrics, scores better than the song deserves because of how well it hits the theme. I award the song 4.0 points. 4

The Band Perry - Gentle On My Mind [TREBOR]
                  LEO: Nice country little tune! I think her voice lacks depth, it's nice and different but kinda monotonous. 3.5
                  JSPARKSFAN: Good. 4.5
                  WAYNE: The Band Perry - Gentle On My Mind - nice, and wasn't aware they were all siblings. I award the song 4.5 points. 4.5

The Flirtations - Nothing But a Heartache [THRILLER]
                  LEO: I wanted to love this but was barely listenable at one point, too noisy. Still, I enjoy this music style and brings nostalgia to the game so one extra point there. 3.0
                  JSPARKSFAN: Old-school midtempo soul with passion - this one was fantastic! 5.5
                  WAYNE: The Flirtations - Nothing But a Heartache - this is crying out to be sampled or featured on an advert. Good song and link to the theme. I award the song 4.5 points. 4.5

The Jesus and Mary Chain - Just Like Honey [NAVI]
                  LEO: Its monotonous, but I think that's the intention here. I like this style but could have been better. 3.5
                  JSPARKSFAN: Nice, though the climax could've been even more explosive. 4.5
                  WAYNE: The Jesus and Mary Chain - Just Like Honey - I have mixed feelings about this, links perfectly well to the theme, but production wise it felt like I was listening to two different songs at times. LOVE how the vocals are laid over the top of the production though, that part is beautiful. I want to love this but I'm not quite there yet. I award the song 4.5 points. 4.5

The Veronicas - When It All Falls Apart [GAGARAZZI]
                  LEO: Ok, midpoint, 3.0
                  JSPARKSFAN: This song's got the teenage angst energy in both its lyrics and melody, but I still found it a rather engaging listen. 4.5
                  WAYNE: The Veronicas - When It All Falls Apart - these are one of the first acts I thought about when I read the theme and I'm pleased someone selected them, love this song. I award the song 5.0 points. 5

Scores Round 3
                  cheapthrills First Aid Kit - Emmylou 16
                  Spartan Carpenters - Solitaire 15
                  Carbon First Aid Kit - Stay Gold 15
                  flopho HAIM - If I Could Change Your Mind 15
                  Colbie Everly Brothers - Bye Bye Love 13
                  gabrielflorin01 Kylie & Dannii Minogue - 100 Degrees (It's Still Disco To Me) 13
                  Thriller The Flirtations - Nothing But a Heartache 13
                  trebor The Band Perry - Gentle On My Mind 12.5
                  navi The Jesus and Mary Chain - Just Like Honey 12.5
                  GaGarazzi The Veronicas - When It All Falls Apart 12.5
                  sonia85 Marvin Gaye - What's Happening Brother 11.5
                  Affillate S2S (Sister 2 Sister) - Sister 10.5
                  R2 R3 R2 & R3 Total
                  Cheapthrills 15.5 16 31.5
                  flopho 16 15 31
                  Carbon 16 15 31
                  Thriller 15 13 28
                  Spartan 12 15 27
                  trebor 13.5 12.5 26
                  navi 13.5 12.5 26
                  Colbie 12.5 13 25.5
                  gabrielflorin01 12.5 13 25.5
                  sonia85 13.5 11.5 25
                  GaGarazzi 11 12.5 23.5
                  Affillate 11 10.5 21.5
                  All rounds
                  Cheapthrills 46
                  flopho 41.5
                  trebor 41.5
                  Carbon 41
                  navi 41
                  Thriller 39
                  Colbie 38.5
                  Spartan 38
                  sonia85 38
                  gabrielflorin01 37
                  GaGarazzi 35.5
                  Affillate 33
                  Cheapthrills gains the Song of The Round. Trebor's Safe Pass still in play.

I finished up on he bottom again with R2 & 3 scores combined, but to make an Executive decision, Even Taking all 3 rounds into account finishing on the bottom aside from myself again after gaining a reprieve last round but failing to move up the leaderboard, to use a Big Brother catch phrase: IT'S TIME TO GO........ GaGarazzi !

Thanks so much for playing. 10 Contestants Plus myself remain going into Round 4.
                  Round 4 Theme Coming soon (Possibly tomorrow).

Contestants
                  1. Colbie
                  2. Thriller
                  3. Carbon
                  4. gabrielflorin01
                  6. flopho
                  7. sonia85
                  8. navi
                  9. Spartan
                  10. trebor
                  11. cheapthrills
                  12. Affillate

Comment

• ROUND 3 Songlist:

​​​​​​
                    SONGS ROUND 3
                    Spartan Carpenters - Solitaire https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=senfWltCbQs
                    Colbie Everly Brothers - Bye Bye Love https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRyrWN-fftE
                    cheapthrills First Aid Kit - Emmylou https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi5A9OCAyIk
                    Carbon First Aid Kit - Stay Gold https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veHUZMoKObc
                    flopho HAIM - If I Could Change Your Mind https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ljg6g7BAdQo
                    gabrielflorin01 Kylie & Dannii Minogue - 100 Degrees (It's Still Disco To Me) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McHxM3aLfbA
                    sonia85 Marvin Gaye - What's Happening Brother https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAN4HkZhO3U
                    Affillate S2S (Sister 2 Sister) - Sister https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fqMHnszhxE
                    trebor The Band Perry - Gentle On My Mind https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuVJEn9wk9Y
                    Thriller The Flirtations - Nothing But a Heartache https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_KHCI_UgqQ
                    navi The Jesus and Mary Chain - Just Like Honey https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EgB__YratE
                    GaGarazzi The Veronicas - When It All Falls Apart https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69M8eYcSqH4

Comment

• Wow, thank you, judges! Never thought I would get a six from Leo! The song really touches me. I am curious if Wayne suspected Emmylou was my entry considering the Linda survivor?

I was originally going to do the Pointer Sisters, but decided I wanted to pick a more contemporary act. I thought First Aid Kit would be less obvious but apparently not

I really love Thriller's retro entry!

Comment

• Oooh mid-table, not bad! I wanted to enter something old for a change.

I almost went for First Aid Kit too I’d have gone for My Silver Lining.

Comment

• I’d genuinely never head my Carpenters song I submitted before last week but fell in love with it.

Comment

• The Jesus and Mary Chain - Just Like Honey [NAVI]
                            i would never expect the lowest point for a rock song from Leo amongst this jury lineup

(thank you Wayne and JSparksFan for not slaying me )
                            Last edited by navi; Sat May 1, 2021, 00:12.

Comment

• Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                              Wow, thank you, judges! Never thought I would get a six from Leo! The song really touches me. I am curious if Wayne suspected Emmylou was my entry considering the Linda survivor!
                              Nope, I suspected you might be behind the Carpenters.

In hindsight, I should’ve given Emmylou 6 points as it’s the one song that has stuck with me since listening to them all, so clearly it’s a very good song.

I suspected Thriller as being behind the Kylie and Dannii song though and was wrong as per, I need to stop automatically associating Thriller with anything to do with Kylie.

Comment

• I am just going to say it: i feel the other judges are being WAY too nice and are making me, probably the nicer one, to look really bad.
                                C'mon, Wayne's lowest points was a 4!!! I am going to start giving 1s just to break all this edulcorated team.

Ok, now seriously, I am liking all entries but try to give points in relation to one another. I only give one 6 per round, and then by first listen I give them points but thentry to separate them a little so not to give all the same points... And that's what actually happened with Mary&Jesus, But thinking it now with more time and coldness in my mind, I should have given it the original 4 and Carpenters should have been 3.5. No changes so no regrets.
                                CHECK UKMIX RETRO Chart Facts
                                FIRST CYCLE or SECOND CYCLE

Comment

• ROUND 4 - WAR

Last Week Australia and New Zealand observed ANZAC Day on April 25, a War remembrance day, particularly for the Gallipoli landing during WW1 in 1915. It's a dark side of human history, but has been referenced in various songs both literally and also as metaphor for love songs etc. I took over running a Survivor based on 'Battle' Songs for biscuits IIRC a few years ago on UKMix.

So this rounds theme will be songs using War/Battle Imagery. Lets set the deadline for submission by Wednesday 5th May for now.

Contestants
                                  1. Colbie
                                  2. Thriller
                                  3. Carbon
                                  4. gabrielflorin01
                                  5. flopho
                                  6. sonia85
                                  7. navi
                                  8. Spartan
                                  9. trebor
                                  10. cheapthrills
                                  11. Affillate

Comment

• Originally posted by Leo View Post
                                    I am just going to say it: i feel the other judges are being WAY too nice and are making me, probably the nicer one, to look really bad.
                                    C'mon, Wayne's lowest points was a 4!!! I am going to start giving 1s just to break all this edulcorated team.

Ok, now seriously, I am liking all entries but try to give points in relation to one another. I only give one 6 per round, and then by first listen I give them points but thentry to separate them a little so not to give all the same points... And that's what actually happened with Mary&Jesus, But thinking it now with more time and coldness in my mind, I should have given it the original 4 and Carpenters should have been 3.5. No changes so no regrets.
                                    I think you and I are awarding points differently - you are obviously using the whole points in totality when looking at whether you like a song and whether it fits the theme, whereas I am splitting my points into two parts:

- Up to 3 points on whether it fits the theme.
                                    - Up to 3 points on whether I like the song.

Using Marvin as an e.g. I awarded it 1 point for theme, and 3 points
                                    for the song as I did like the song. If you nail the theme, you’re pretty much guaranteed at least 3 points from me.

Comment

• Sent my song
                                      last.fm

Comment

• Sent mine!
                                        Not sure if the judges wil get how it's related to the theme, but anyways

Comment

• Sent!
                                          Taking a huge risk with this one.
                                          trebor's - 2016 in Country Music
                                          trebor's - 2015 in Country Music

Comment

• Sent!

Comment

• Also sent!

Comment

• Submitted.

Not confident at all but really couldn’t think of any songs suitable.

Comment

• sent my entry

Comment

• Think We're Just waiting on one more.

On a Side note was Star Wars 'May The Fourth Be With You' Day yesterday and Cinco De Mayo today, which apparently has connections to Mexican Battle of Puebla over The French in 1862.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinco_de_Mayo

Comment

Working...
                                                    X