"Burning Up"
    "Holiday"
    "Lucky Star"
    "Angel"

Leave a comment:

• Artoo
    replied
    Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
    and a one song preview of her huge 2nd album.
    Well by including Angel you’ve give us 6 singles and asked us to save 6 songs

Save:

Everybody
    Burning Up
    Lucky Star
    Holiday
    Borderline
    Angel

Leave a comment:

• BodyShop
    replied

"Borderline"
    "Burning Up"
    "Everybody"
    "Holiday"
    "Lucky Star"
    "Angel"

Leave a comment:

• GaGarazzi
    replied
    This is already hard!

SAVE:

Borderline
    Burning Up
    Everybody
    Holiday
    I Know It
    Lucky Star

Leave a comment:

• cheapthrills
    replied
    ROUND 1: DEBUT

I thought the best way to review Madonna's history would be to place the albums in order as you see in the OP. Madonna's career has been one of reinvention with each era. So at least for the first run-through, I thought it would be interesting to listen and notice that evolution.

Like some of you, I know her singles very well, but I'm more unaware of many album tracks. So, we'll do sets of (mostly) 12. Hopefully that way it's not overwhelming for people like me who want to explore her discography.

This first set will see three tracks from the unauthorized Pre-Madonna collection (released in 1997, but containing songs from 1980-1981), all the tracks from her debut album, and a one song preview of her huge 2nd album.

Before we get started, let's check out this short clip from 1982 just as her career was getting started, auditioning for a part in the TV series Fame.

SAVE UP TO SIX SONGS

"Crimes of Passion"
    "Don't You Know"
    "Laugh to Keep from Crying"
    "Borderline"
    "Burning Up"
    "Everybody"
    "Holiday"
    "I Know It"
    "Lucky Star"
    "Physical Attraction"
    "Think of Me"
    "Angel"

Tagging the same people as before to let you know this has started, but thereafter will tag those who participate.

Leave a comment:

• BodyShop
    replied
    I'll participate cheapthrills thanks for tagging

Leave a comment:

• cheapthrills
    replied
    Originally posted by menime123 View Post
    Love Don’t Live Here Anymore (Soulpower Remix)
    Is this the remix that is on the Something to Remember album, or a different version?

Originally posted by RayRay View Post

I would love to see Imagine (live) stay in the list.
    I am also a big fan of the pre-Madonna song Crimes Of Passion.
    I'll go ahead and keep the two live songs and the Pre-Madonna songs, if for no reason that to give us a round number of 40 years of Madonna songs (1980-2020)

Leave a comment:

• RayRay
    replied
    Thanks menime123

I'll go ahead and add those suggestions. If there is anyone else who wants to add to the list, I'll probably start this on Tuesday.
    I would love to see Imagine (live) stay in the list.
    I am also a big fan of the pre-Madonna song Crimes Of Passion.

Leave a comment:

• cheapthrills
    replied
    Thanks menime123

I'll go ahead and add those suggestions. If there is anyone else who wants to add to the list, I'll probably start this on Tuesday.

Leave a comment:

• Artoo
    replied

Cover songs that were performed live are fine - so if there are some that people have in mind, I can add them.
    Actually, in terms of officially released live covers, I might have oversold it as there’s just the one

La Vie En Rose - Rebel Heart Tour

Are those the Pre-Madonna songs?
    Yes, that album had a million names

]
    I welcome remix suggestions - I just didn't know where to start because she's got dozens of them, and it feels like they are usually cannon fodder in these things. But if there are some iconic remixes that I'd be remiss to exclude (or someone just really likes a few), I am up for suggestions!
    I think the significant remixes are:

Express Yourself (7” Remix)
    Fever (Edit One)
    Love Don’t Live Here Anymore (Soulpower Remix)
    What It Feels Like For a Girl (Above & Beyond Club Radio Edit)
    Celebration (Benny Benassi Remix Edit)

These remixes were used in the music videos rather than the album versions.

Leave a comment:

• cheapthrills
    replied
    Thanks menime896! I was hoping you'd chip in

Your list is complete basically, but you’re missing three officially released songs:

1. Erotic - Released with the SEX book
    2. I Love New York (Demo) - from I’m Going To Tell You a Secret (and the only demo she’s ever officially released).
    3. Love Spent (acoustic) - iTunes exclusive from MDNA.
    Thanks! I'll add these to the table!

If you only want studio recorded tracks, I’d suggest removing Imagine from I’m Going To Tell You a Secret - it’s just a live recording. If you’re happy to include cover songs Madonna has performed live and released on her live albums, you’re then missing a few more songs that deserve to be there just as much as Imagine.

It’s also worth noting that we might be getting a new live album with further cover songs in October (her new tour recording is being added to streaming in October but there’s no word on whether it’s being released as a live album like her past five concerts).
    Cover songs that were performed live are fine - so if there are some that people have in mind, I can add them. If Imagine ends up being the only one, I will remove it though because then it would seem strange. Sounds like that live album comes too late for this, but we'll see. The survivor will likely still be going then.

The album ‘In The Beginning’ isn’t an official Madonna release, but a cash-in using tracks recorded before she was famous. Personally I wouldn’t include them as they are unauthorised, but your call!
    Are those the Pre-Madonna songs?

There’s a couple of things on the list that aren’t songs at all but simply Madonna reading a poetry that she didn’t write set to music (e.g. Bittersweet). No singing involved but they were technically released I guess.

Into The Hollywood Groove’ from Remixed and Revisited is a remix, not the original version. The original version was released on a standalone CD (if you bought corduroy jeans from GAP, and yes, I did) and is only 74 seconds long, but it has completely new vocals in it compared to the remix, which uses vocals from 1985 and 2004.
    I have that standalone CD too - I'll use that version because it is straight fire. I'll lose the poetry readings. I wasn't quite sure what to make of those, and I doubt anyone is really dying to keep them in this survivor.

Depending on your stance about live tracks, you could include the live recording of Like a Virgin/Hollywood from the 2003 VMAs (with Britney, Xtina and Missy) and was officially released on Remixed and Revisited too.

Finally (I promise), I don’t know your views on remixes but Madonna did record new vocals for Don’t Cry For Me Argentina (Miami Mix) which I know some fans really like. I can’t be arsed with it personally but if you want every word she’s ever recorded in a studio and officially released to be included, that’s your final track to consider.
    I welcome remix suggestions - I just didn't know where to start because she's got dozens of them, and it feels like they are usually cannon fodder in these things. But if there are some iconic remixes that I'd be remiss to exclude (or someone just really likes a few), I am up for suggestions!

Leave a comment:

• Artoo
    replied
    I grabbed the songs in the OP from wikipedia. I removed songs where she was only back-up and a couple duplicates. I'll be completing the tedious task of adding youtube links for the songs in the next couple of days. But now this is where you come in. Are there any other songs that you'd like to include? The current list has no remixes or unreleased songs, and while I think it's complete, it could be missing something. You can suggest as many as you want (within reason) - as long as you can give a youtube link for it.
    Your list is complete basically, but you’re missing three officially released songs:

1. Erotic - Released with the SEX book
    2. I Love New York (Demo) - from I’m Going To Tell You a Secret (and the only demo she’s ever officially released).
    3. Love Spent (acoustic) - iTunes exclusive from MDNA.

If you only want studio recorded tracks, I’d suggest removing Imagine from I’m Going To Tell You a Secret - it’s just a live recording. If you’re happy to include cover songs Madonna has performed live and released on her live albums, you’re then missing a few more songs that deserve to be there just as much as Imagine.

It’s also worth noting that we might be getting a new live album with further cover songs in October (her new tour recording is being added to streaming in October but there’s no word on whether it’s being released as a live album like her past five concerts).

The album ‘In The Beginning’ isn’t an official Madonna release, but a cash-in using tracks recorded before she was famous. Personally I wouldn’t include them as they are unauthorised, but your call!

There’s a couple of things on the list that aren’t songs at all but simply Madonna reading a poetry that she didn’t write set to music (e.g. Bittersweet). No singing involved but they were technically released I guess.

‘Into The Hollywood Groove’ from Remixed and Revisited is a remix, not the original version. The original version was released on a standalone CD (if you bought corduroy jeans from GAP, and yes, I did) and is only 74 seconds long, but it has completely new vocals in it compared to the remix, which uses vocals from 1985 and 2004.

Depending on your stance about live tracks, you could include the live recording of Like a Virgin/Hollywood from the 2003 VMAs (with Britney, Xtina and Missy) and was officially released on Remixed and Revisited too.

Finally (I promise), I don’t know your views on remixes but Madonna did record new vocals for Don’t Cry For Me Argentina (Miami Mix) which I know some fans really like. I can’t be arsed with it personally but if you want every word she’s ever recorded in a studio and officially released to be included, that’s your final track to consider.

Leave a comment:

• madfan13
    replied
    Sounds great! Bring it on!

Leave a comment:

• Thriller
    replied
    I don’t know too many of her album tracks but will try and listen where I can.

Leave a comment:

• bm08
    replied
    I dont know her discography that well, but ill participate where i can!

Leave a comment:

• jszmiles
    replied
    even if she can not sing, also I don't find her a great artist, still she's my #1 on last.fm! it's hard to not like at least some of her stuff.

Top 10 for Nothing Really Matters!

Leave a comment:

• cheapthrills
    replied
    Hello - hopefully this isn't an intrusion, but we are gearing up to kick off the Madonna survivor in the next few days. I realize many of you might not participate, but I could still use some help finalizing the list.

I grabbed the songs in the OP from wikipedia. I removed songs where she was only back-up and a couple duplicates. I'll be completing the tedious task of adding youtube links for the songs in the next couple of days. But now this is where you come in. Are there any other songs that you'd like to include? The current list has no remixes or unreleased songs, and while I think it's complete, it could be missing something. You can suggest as many as you want (within reason) - as long as you can give a youtube link for it.

It's a lot of Madonna, and I understand if I've tagged uninterested people, so let me know either here or by PM if you don't want to be tagged going forward. If you received a tag, it's either because you've participated in my last survivor, or you've posted enough in the Madonna artist thread to get my notice

Leave a comment:

• spiritboy
    replied
    Normally i don't do survivals anymore but i'll make an exception for the Queen.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X