Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colbie
    replied
    Pfewwt that was alot of work! Especialy since i always hated maths!
    Anyways, new round coming up tomorrow morning darlings! ;-)

Leave a comment:

• Colbie
    replied
    Here are the results of round 2!
    Today we sadly have to say goodbye to the first collector......
    Who will it be? Let's find out!

1. The Tango - The Scent Of A Woman (LEOMEDAR)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2zTd_YwTvo

Cheapthrills: Look how little Chris O'Donnell looks in this A little non-descript, but how can you go wrong with a tango?
    Score: 6.5

Jsparskfan: Simple but beautiful melody. Endearing scene, too!
    Score: 7

Wayne: It's a decent piece of music but it grated on me a bit.
    Score: 5

Gravity: Beautiful classic, simple but effective.
    Score: 8

2. Rob Dougan Clubbed To Death (TRILLER)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2bX2Uk ... e=youtu.be

Cheapthrills: I had to look up what this was from and didn't remember it at all - the accompanying video was excellent though! It seemed like it started up as a backdrop to some 40s period piece and then kind of goes into this string-laden bop!
    Score: 9

Jsparskfan: I liked the shifts between a gentler, more peaceful instrumentation, and the more intense, melodramatic melody.

Wayne: Great song. it's been used in Britain's Got Talent so many times over the years with the dangerous magic acts. It is incredibly suspenseful and I love how it builds a crescendo before bringing it right back down again with a beautiful piano led melody.

Gravity: This is an instant win for me, because it samples another soundtrack, and one of my favorite records ever - City of Angels by Wang Chung. This one would make a killer sample in hip-hop. I love how it represents tension building so well.
    Score: 10

3. Jan A.P. Kaczmarek – Goodbye (FLOPHO)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaAh36cwcjE

Cheapthrills: No idea how to score this. Does the person who submit this know I put my dog of ten years down just a few days ago? :( I am such a sobbing mess from this video, I can't even hear the music.

Jsparskfan: This is a clean and smooth piece of music. The biggest criticism I have is that it's too short.
    Score: 7,5

Wayne: There's nothing too complex about this, it follows a relatively simple melody but it's exactly how I like my instrumental music - it's emotive, reflective and a solid choice.
    Gravity: Very emotive, elegant piece.

4. Gabriel Yared - C'Est Le Vent Betty (NAVI)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYxsXY- ... e=youtu.be

Cheapthrills: I think if it weren't for the accompanying video, I would find this a bit generic. There are a few flourishes in the midst of the song, which add some whimsy. At least the shirtless guy took my mind off the last video.
    Score: 6

Jsparskfan: Thoroughly unexceptional.

Wayne: This didn't really do anything for me.
    Score: 3

Gravity: This one was kinda all over the place for me. It starts nice but then goes downhill. I didn't like the way some instruments were used.
    Score: 4

5. Thomas Newman - Road To Perdition (CARBON
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AS3FXKCxDL4

Cheapthrills: I am hazarding a guess that this person chose this song because they love the movie - because while the strings are pretty and mournful, they are nothing captivating. It does its job as background music.
    Score 2.5

Jsparksfan: Disappointing because I was expecting it to be build to some grand climax, and it stubbornly stuck to gear one the whole way through.
    Score: 5,5

Wayne: A very beautiful piece of music, but tinged with sadness - it reminded me of The Lark Ascending in places.

Gravity: Emotive and beautiful but it doesn't take me anywhere, if that makes sense. I feel like a piece like this should tell more of a story; this one gets stuck in one place.
    Score: 6,5

6. Gheorghe Zamfir - The Lonely Shepherd (TREBOR)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsgHyzwmbnQ

Cheapthrills: Looking it up, I see it wasn't written specifically for the movie (it was released a couple decades beforehand) but I can totally see Tarantino using something like Zamfir for his film. The pan-flute is oddball enough to make the choice distinctive, and while I haven't seen Kill Bill, I could imagine someone go out in a grand exit to this song.
    Score: 8.5

Jsparksfan: Surprisingly boring from a soundtrack to such a big action movie.
    Score: 5,5

Wayne: I found this to be delightful - it builds into something utterly fantastic.

Gravity: A classic. Few points knocked off because it's such a predictable choice.

7. The Beast Lets Belle Go (RAYRAY)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9d8QmYVHVs

Cheapthrills: A couple shout outs to the theme song specifically tie it to the movie, but it goes in a more dull direction. This is just ok for me.
    Score: 4.5

Jsparksfan: Disney choices would usually be considered a safe bet for a round like this one, but this one is a bit lifeless, though I can understand why because of the scene it soundtracks. Still, I'm not a fan.

Wayne: I have such a soft spot for this movie. This is a simple piece of music and it's good but I can't help but think that as with most of Disney's instrumental music, it's less good without the context of the movie.

Gravity: Sorry, this is really boring to me.

8. Sweeny Todd Opening Title (SPARTAN)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB_FzSeYJRQ

Cheapthrills: Oh how very Phantom! That imposing opening, which fizzles and then starts back up again. I feel like I should be running from a serial killer, but only in a more posh way than if I was in Halloween.
    Score: 7.5

Jsparksfan: Not exactly boring, but uninspired.

Wayne: That organ at the start goes on for too long, but the rest of the piece has so much character and suspense - it's probably a bit too much for my little heart to take at 10pm on a school night.

Gravity: Literally perfect. It has everything - the story, the tension, the emotion.

9. Daft Punk – Derezzed (AFFILLATE)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4cgLL8JaVI

Cheapthrills: Congratulations to whoever matched me - this is the exact song I would have submitted! Who is my soul mate, Colbie, and when can we start picking out items for our wedding registry?

Jsparksfan: A bit too electronic for my liking, but it was exciting in parts, too.

Wayne: I feel like this was a pretty bold choice, as it's a completely different type of composition to everything else I've heard thus far - it's very Daft Punk, but I feel it's lacking something.
    Score: 4

Gravity: A bit too repetitive and not my cup of tea generally.

10. Howl's Moving Castle - Theme Song Instrumental (SUMMERPEUR)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwxatzcYf9Q

Cheapthrills: This starts with a nice little waltz that can stand completely on its own. It feels a little perfunctory in the middle third, and then moves on to an amazing hybrid of the first two movements in the final part. Quite epic for its five minutes.

Jsparksfan: I wasn't wowed by this, and it was a tad on the lengthy side, too.

Wayne: Never heard this before, but it's very good - there's a lot going on though. I feel like the use of the piano to break the song up about halfway through is great, and I pretty much loved it by the end. Probably my favourite piece of the round.

Gravity: A really lovely piece, not a predictable choice which I appreciate.

11. Pocahontas – Farewell (BISCUITS)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EHCOJ8 ... e=youtu.be

Cheapthrills: So, seeing that there was no accompanying interesting video, I decided to start preparing for work while listening to this, and that is lucky for the submitter. Because I found the first three minutes incredibly, incredibly dull. But who knew how well it would go with brushing and flossing teeth! It's called farewell, but this is a GREAT song to start the day - sun streaming in the bathroom, getting clean... I feel so refreshed and ready to work!
    Score: 8.5

Jsparksfan: Best submission of the round! It's a complete instrumental. It truly captures such a gamut of emotions. Safe, yes, but lovely nonetheless.

Wayne: Better than the Beauty and the Beast song, this does at least have a great crescendo and builds to something epic - but again, without the context of the film and as a standalone piece, it's lacking.

Gravity: I'm not a fan of most Disney soundtracks/songs, this is one of the better ones.

Interesting things happened! The first 10 points have been rewarded, making Summerpeur coming in at second place! Thriller took over the first spot from Navi, who unfortunately drops to second last. Sadly we have to say goodbye to RayRay, as he couldn't take his revange for the second round. Thank you for participating and i hope you keep following the game nonetheless! Hope you had fun

Leave a comment:

• Thriller
    replied
    I had to check what I’d submit!

Leave a comment:

• Colbie
    replied
    Sorry for the delay sweeties!
    Results will be up today around 6/7 pm UK time!

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    Neither love, nor loathe - I ranked it right down the middle (a 5/10). But for some reason, I think it's going to do very well with the other judges - listening to it again now, it's grown on me a bit.

Leave a comment:

• Leo
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne View Post
    I'm looking forward to the results, be interesting to see if my views are shared (on one song in particular).
    Did you like the song or hate it?

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    I'm looking forward to the results, be interesting to see if my views are shared (on one song in particular).

Leave a comment:

• Leo
    replied

Leave a comment:

• trebor
    replied
    [MENTION=38563]Colbie[/MENTION]
    Is there going to be an update tonight?
    ( PS: Don't forget to change the thread's title according to the current rounds )

Leave a comment:

• JSparksFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Colbie View Post
    @JSparksFan just send it, you should have it now!
    Just sent my comments.

Leave a comment:

• JSparksFan
    replied
    [MENTION=46754]Gravity[/MENTION], [MENTION=38563]Colbie[/MENTION], thanks, guys! I have the songs, and I'm listening now.

Leave a comment:

• Colbie
    replied
    [MENTION=23802]JSparksFan[/MENTION] just send it, you should have it now!

Leave a comment:

• JSparksFan
    replied
    [MENTION=834]Thriller[/MENTION], thanks for the heads-up.

Originally posted by Gravity View Post
    @JSparksFan I tried sending you the list of songs but it says your inbox is full.
    [MENTION=46754]Gravity[/MENTION], can you try sending the songs again? I should have space now.

Leave a comment:

• Bellus
    replied
    Excited to see the results once JSpark gets a chance to review them.

Leave a comment:

• Thriller
    replied
    [MENTION=23802]JSparksFan[/MENTION] I think you need to delete messages until you reach a combined total of less than 500 PMs across your inbox and sent box to be able to receive PMs.

Leave a comment:

• Gravity
    replied
    [MENTION=23802]JSparksFan[/MENTION] I tried sending you the list of songs but it says your inbox is full.

Leave a comment:

• JSparksFan
    replied
    Bleh, it would seem that the PM with the songs wasn't imported on the new UKMix. I don't see in my inbox. Can [MENTION=38563]Colbie[/MENTION], or one of the judges - [MENTION=46754]Gravity[/MENTION], [MENTION=11323]Wayne[/MENTION], or [MENTION=49569]cheapthrills[/MENTION] - send me the list of songs if they have it?
    Originally posted by biscuits View Post
    You’ve had over a week
    I didn't look at the songs before the site update. I see now that I really should have.

Leave a comment:

• biscuits
    replied
    You’ve had over a week

Leave a comment:

• JSparksFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Colbie View Post
    Sorry for the wait sweeties!

Only @JSparksFan left though, so shouldn't be too long!
    I'll listen to the submissions, and send my comments and ratings tonight!

Leave a comment:

• Colbie
    replied
    Sorry for the wait sweeties!

Only [MENTION=23802]JSparksFan[/MENTION] left though, so shouldn't be too long!

Leave a comment:

• Leo
    replied
    time goes by so slowly for those who wait...

Leave a comment:

• RayRay
    replied
    Originally posted by Colbie
    scores will be announced after the Ukmix is back up again!
    How harsh to let me think I might be saved for so long.

Leave a comment:

• RayRay
    replied
    Originally posted by cheapthrills
    Probably too late to post a theme so everyone will see it in time anyhow. Europe is getting ready for bed now
    You always go to bed this early???

Leave a comment:

• Colbie
    replied
    Originally posted by leomedar
    Originally posted by biscuits
    Even if the results don’t go up, it would be good if we knew R3 theme so we could choose our entry while the site is down and keep the momentum going
    too depressing to choose a song only to learn you are out :-?
    True Also haven't made the final decision for the new theme yet....

Only one judge left, scores will be announced after the Ukmix is back up again!

Leave a comment:

• cheapthrills
    replied
    Re: ? The Song Collectors V ? Round 1 Results Are Up! ?

Probably too late to post a theme so everyone will see it in time anyhow. Europe is getting ready for bed now

Leave a comment:

Working...
X