Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rolling Stone's Top100 Debut Albums of All Time Survivor! Winner(s) Announced!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ROUND 6 - Rank the songs FAV (1) to LEAST FAV (6)

28. B-52s - B-52s (1979) :: Rock Lobster
    61. The Libertines - Up the Bracket (2002) :: Up the Bracket
    68. Talking Heads - Talking Heads: 77 (1977) :: Psycho Killer
    100. Lady GaGa - The Fame (2009) :: Poker Face
    73. Norah Jones - Come Away with Me (2002) :: Don't Know Why
    63. Cyndi Lauper - She’s So Unusual (1983) :: Girls Just Want To Have Fun
    VISIT UKmix HOT100 @ Front Desk
    ENJOY Hits in the Mix! weekly chart @ General Music

Comment

Oh geez, this group is not here for hip hop at all.

This is a tough set. I would have gladly traded all these songs for some of the earlier rounds.

1 100. Lady GaGa - The Fame (2009) :: Poker Face
      2 73. Norah Jones - Come Away with Me (2002) :: Don't Know Why
      3 63. Cyndi Lauper - She’s So Unusual (1983) :: Girls Just Want To Have Fun
      4 28. B-52s - B-52s (1979) :: Rock Lobster
      5 68. Talking Heads - Talking Heads: 77 (1977) :: Psycho Killer
      6 61. The Libertines - Up the Bracket (2002) :: Up the Bracket

Comment

1 100. Lady GaGa - The Fame (2009) :: Poker Face
        2 73. Norah Jones - Come Away with Me (2002) :: Don't Know Why
        3 63. Cyndi Lauper - She’s So Unusual (1983) :: Girls Just Want To Have Fun
        4 28. B-52s - B-52s (1979) :: Rock Lobster
        5 61. The Libertines - Up the Bracket (2002) :: Up the Bracket
        6 68. Talking Heads - Talking Heads: 77 (1977) :: Psycho Killer

Comment

Wow, a round where I'm familiar with all songs - that's unusual! It's a crime Gaga was ranked at #100 but since there aren't many pop songs, it's good they even included her. This round is hard, all 6 songs should move on.

1. Lady Gaga - The Fame (2009) :: Poker Face
          2. Cyndi Lauper - She’s So Unusual (1983) :: Girls Just Want To Have Fun
          3. Talking Heads - Talking Heads: 77 (1977) :: Psycho Killer
          4. B-52s - B-52s (1979) :: Rock Lobster
          5. Norah Jones - Come Away with Me (2002) :: Don't Know Why
          6. The Libertines - Up the Bracket (2002) :: Up the Bracket

Comment

ROUND 6 - Rank the songs FAV (1) to LEAST FAV (6)

1 68. Talking Heads - Talking Heads: 77 (1977) :: Psycho Killer
            2 61. The Libertines - Up the Bracket (2002) :: Up the Bracket
            3 28. B-52s - B-52s (1979) :: Rock Lobster
            4 63. Cyndi Lauper - She’s So Unusual (1983) :: Girls Just Want To Have Fun
            5 73. Norah Jones - Come Away with Me (2002) :: Don't Know Why
            6 100. Lady GaGa - The Fame (2009) :: Poker Face

Comment

1. 68. Talking Heads - Talking Heads: 77 (1977) :: Psycho Killer
              2. 63. Cyndi Lauper - She’s So Unusual (1983) :: Girls Just Want To Have Fun
              3. 73. Norah Jones - Come Away with Me (2002) :: Don't Know Why
              4. 28. B-52s - B-52s (1979) :: Rock Lobster
              5. 61. The Libertines - Up the Bracket (2002) :: Up the Bracket
              6. 100. Lady GaGa - The Fame (2009) :: Poker Face
              >>>>>>>>>>> LAST.FM <<<<<<<<<

Comment

Lady GaGa polarizing this, all 1s or 6s!

Comment

Originally posted by leomedar View Post
                  Lady GaGa polarizing this, all 1s or 6s!
                  Biggest shade of all is calling her Lady GaGa though, it's not 2009 anymore!

Comment

1. 68. Talking Heads - Talking Heads: 77 (1977) :: Psycho Killer
                    2. 73. Norah Jones - Come Away with Me (2002) :: Don't Know Why
                    3. 100. Lady GaGa - The Fame (2009) :: Poker Face
                    4. 63. Cyndi Lauper - She’s So Unusual (1983) :: Girls Just Want To Have Fun
                    5. 61. The Libertines - Up the Bracket (2002) :: Up the Bracket
                    6. 28. B-52s - B-52s (1979) :: Rock Lobster
                    I have received many gifts from God,
                    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

1. Norah Jones - Come Away with Me (2002) :: Don't Know Why
                      2. Cyndi Lauper - She’s So Unusual (1983) :: Girls Just Want To Have Fun
                      3. Lady GaGa - The Fame (2009) :: Poker Face
                      4. Talking Heads - Talking Heads: 77 (1977) :: Psycho Killer
                      5. B-52s - B-52s (1979) :: Rock Lobster
                      6. The Libertines - Up the Bracket (2002) :: Up the Bracket
                      last.fm

Comment

1. Lady GaGa - The Fame (2009) :: Poker Face
                        2. Norah Jones - Come Away with Me (2002) :: Don't Know Why
                        3. Cyndi Lauper - She’s So Unusual (1983) :: Girls Just Want To Have Fun
                        4. B-52s - B-52s (1979) :: Rock Lobster
                        5. The Libertines - Up the Bracket (2002) :: Up the Bracket
                        6. Talking Heads - Talking Heads: 77 (1977) :: Psycho Killer
                        Akini's Top 100 Albums of the Decade: [75-71]

Comment

1. 28. B-52s - B-52s (1979) :: Rock Lobster
                          2. 63. Cyndi Lauper - She’s So Unusual (1983) :: Girls Just Want To Have Fun
                          3. 68. Talking Heads - Talking Heads: 77 (1977) :: Psycho Killer
                          4. 61. The Libertines - Up the Bracket (2002) :: Up the Bracket
                          5. 73. Norah Jones - Come Away with Me (2002) :: Don't Know Why
                          6. 100. Lady GaGa - The Fame (2009) :: Poker Face
                          My last.fm

Comment

Great turn our of votes! I'll close this round soon considering all regulars voted and then some.

1 B-52s - B-52s (1979) :: Rock Lobster
                            2 Talking Heads - Talking Heads: 77 (1977) :: Psycho Killer
                            3 Norah Jones - Come Away with Me (2002) :: Don't Know Why
                            4 The Libertines - Up the Bracket (2002) :: Up the Bracket
                            5 Cyndi Lauper - She’s So Unusual (1983) :: Girls Just Want To Have Fun
                            6 Lady GaGa - The Fame (2009) :: Poker Face

Comment

OUT

The B-52's is the debut album by the Athens, Georgia-based new wave band the B-52's. The kitschy lyrics and mood, and the hook-laden harmonies helped establish a fanbase for the band, who went on to release several chart-topping singles. The album cover was designed by Tony Wright (credited as Sue Ab Surd).

In 2003, the television network VH1 named The B-52's the 99th greatest album of all time. Shortly before his death, John Lennon said he enjoyed the album. In his 1995 book, The Alternative Music Almanac, Alan Cross placed the album ninth on the list of 10 Classic Alternative Albums. In 2012, the album was ranked number 152 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time.

Up the Bracket is the debut album by English indie rock band The Libertines, released in October 2002. The album's cover is based on an image of rioting during the Argentine economic crisis of 1999–2002.

The title Up the Bracket alludes to a phrase used by English comedian Tony Hancock, of whom the Libertines' Pete Doherty is an avid fan. In Hancock's Half Hour, "Up The Bracket" is a slang term meaning a punch in the throat. Hancock is also referenced in the opening track, "Vertigo" – "lead pipes, your fortune's made", being a line from the Half Hour episode "The Poetry Society".

The Fame is the debut studio album by American singer Lady Gaga. It was released on August 19, 2008 by Interscope Records. After joining Kon Live Distribution and Cherrytree Records in 2008, Gaga began working on the album with different producers, primarily RedOne, Martin Kierszenbaum, and Rob Fusari. Musically, The Fame is an electropop, synth-pop, and dance-pop album that displays influences from 1980s music. Lyrically, it visualizes Gaga's love of fame in general, while also dealing with subjects such as love, sex, money, drugs, and sexual identity.

Speaking about the title and concept of the album, Gaga explained: "The Fame is about how anyone can feel famous. [...] Pop culture is art. It doesn't make you cool to hate pop culture, so I embraced it and you hear it all over The Fame. But, it's a sharable fame. I want to invite you all to the party. I want people to feel a part of this lifestyle."

Comment

ROUND 7 - Rank the songs FAV (1) to LEAST FAV (6)

69. Wire - Pink Flag (1977) :: 12xu
                                82. The Congos - Heart of the Congos (1977) :: Fisherman
                                4. Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction (1987) :: Sweet Child o' Mine
                                51. The Smiths - The Smiths (1984) :: What Difference Does It Make?
                                83. Erik B. and Rakim - Paid In Full (1987) :: Paid In Full
                                90. Big Star - #1 Record (1972) :: Thirteen

Comment

Ugh, Gaga eliminated is bullshit. Don't even want to participate this round.

Comment

1. 4. Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction (1987) :: Sweet Child o' Mine
                                    2. 51. The Smiths - The Smiths (1984) :: What Difference Does It Make?
                                    3. 83. Erik B. and Rakim - Paid In Full (1987) :: Paid In Full
                                    4. 69. Wire - Pink Flag (1977) :: 12xu
                                    5. 90. Big Star - #1 Record (1972) :: Thirteen
                                    6. 82. The Congos - Heart of the Congos (1977) :: Fisherman

Comment

Originally posted by HC55555 View Post
                                      Ugh, Gaga eliminated is bullshit. Don't even want to participate this round.
                                      Don't lose your hopes! There will be a "Second Chance" round after first phase and Gaga (correctly spelled ) will take part alongside all albums that finished fourth in its group! But competition will be tough and few spots will be available left.

Comment

1. 4. Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction (1987) :: Sweet Child o' Mine
                                        2. 51. The Smiths - The Smiths (1984) :: What Difference Does It Make?
                                        3. 69. Wire - Pink Flag (1977) :: 12xu
                                        4. 90. Big Star - #1 Record (1972) :: Thirteen
                                        5. 83. Erik B. and Rakim - Paid In Full (1987) :: Paid In Full
                                        6. 82. The Congos - Heart of the Congos (1977) :: Fisherman
                                        My last.fm

Comment

1. 51. The Smiths - The Smiths (1984) :: What Difference Does It Make?
                                          2. 69. Wire - Pink Flag (1977) :: 12xu
                                          3. 90. Big Star - #1 Record (1972) :: Thirteen
                                          4. 83. Erik B. and Rakim - Paid In Full (1987) :: Paid In Full
                                          5. 82. The Congos - Heart of the Congos (1977) :: Fisherman
                                          6. 4. Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction (1987) :: Sweet Child o' Mine

Comment

1 The Smiths - The Smiths (1984) :: What Difference Does It Make?
                                            2 Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction (1987) :: Sweet Child o' Mine
                                            3 Big Star - #1 Record (1972) :: Thirteen
                                            4 Erik B. and Rakim - Paid In Full (1987) :: Paid In Full
                                            5 The Congos - Heart of the Congos (1977) :: Fisherman
                                            6 Wire - Pink Flag (1977) :: 12xu

Comment

OUT

Heart of the Congos is a roots reggae album by The Congos, produced by Lee "Scratch" Perry at his Black Ark studio with a studio band including Boris Gardiner on bass and Ernest Ranglin on guitar. The album was released in 1977. It is noted as being one of Perry's masterpiece productions of the Black Ark era.

Paid in Full is the debut album of American hip hop duo Eric B. & Rakim, released on July 7, 1987, by Island-subsidiary label 4th & B'way Records. The duo recorded the album at hip hop producer Marley Marl's home studio and Power Play Studios in New York City, following Rakim's response to Eric B.'s search for a rapper to complement his disc jockey work in 1985.

Paid in Full is credited as a benchmark album of golden age hip hop. Rakim's rapping, which pioneered the use of internal rhymes in hip hop, set a higher standard of lyricism in the genre and served as a template for future rappers. The album's heavy sampling by Eric B. became influential in hip hop production.

#1 Record is the debut album by the American rock band Big Star. It was released in August 1972 by Memphis-based Ardent Records. Many critics praised the album's elegant vocal harmonies and refined songcraft but #1 Record suffered from poor distribution and sold fewer than 10,000 copies upon its initial release. However, #1 Record gained wider attention in the late '70s in the UK when EMI reissued it with Radio City as a double LP package due to increasing demand.

Comment

ROUND 8 - Rank the songs FAV (1) to LEAST FAV (6)

71. Mary J. Blige - What’s the 411 (1992) :: Real Love
                                                99. The Flying Burrito Brothers - The Gilded Palace of Sin (1969) :: Christine's Tune
                                                35. Weezer - Weezer (1994) :: Undone -- The Sweater Song
                                                20. Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures (1979) :: She's Lost Control
                                                12. The Clash - The Clash (1979) :: White Riot
                                                94. The Who - The Who Sings My Generation (1965) :: My Generation

Comment

1. 20. Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures (1979) :: She's Lost Control
                                                  2. 94. The Who - The Who Sings My Generation (1965) :: My Generation
                                                  3. 12. The Clash - The Clash (1979) :: White Riot
                                                  4. 71. Mary J. Blige - What’s the 411 (1992) :: Real Love
                                                  5. 35. Weezer - Weezer (1994) :: Undone -- The Sweater Song
                                                  6. 99. The Flying Burrito Brothers - The Gilded Palace of Sin (1969) :: Christine's Tune

Comment

1. 20. Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures (1979) :: She's Lost Control
                                                    2. 94. The Who - The Who Sings My Generation (1965) :: My Generation
                                                    5. 99. The Flying Burrito Brothers - The Gilded Palace of Sin (1969) :: Christine's Tune
                                                    6. 35. Weezer - Weezer (1994) :: Undone -- The Sweater Song
                                                    I have received many gifts from God,
                                                    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

Ugh the results from the last two rounds are so incredibly disappointing. And this one isn't looking so hot either...

1 71. Mary J. Blige - What’s the 411 (1992) :: Real Love
                                                      2 35. Weezer - Weezer (1994) :: Undone -- The Sweater Song
                                                      3 94. The Who - The Who Sings My Generation (1965) :: My Generation
                                                      4 20. Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures (1979) :: She's Lost Control
                                                      5 99. The Flying Burrito Brothers - The Gilded Palace of Sin (1969) :: Christine's Tune
                                                      6 12. The Clash - The Clash (1979) :: White Riot

Comment

1. 94. The Who - The Who Sings My Generation (1965) :: My Generation
                                                        2. 35. Weezer - Weezer (1994) :: Undone -- The Sweater Song
                                                        5. 20. Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures (1979) :: She's Lost Control
                                                        6. 99. The Flying Burrito Brothers - The Gilded Palace of Sin (1969) :: Christine's Tune
                                                        My last.fm

Comment

ROUND 8 - Rank the songs FAV (1) to LEAST FAV (6)

1 12. The Clash - The Clash (1979) :: White Riot
                                                          2 20. Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures (1979) :: She's Lost Control
                                                          3 94. The Who - The Who Sings My Generation (1965) :: My Generation
                                                          4 35. Weezer - Weezer (1994) :: Undone -- The Sweater Song
                                                          5 99. The Flying Burrito Brothers - The Gilded Palace of Sin (1969) :: Christine's Tune
                                                          6 71. Mary J. Blige - What’s the 411 (1992) :: Real Love

Comment

1 Mary J. Blige - What’s the 411 (1992) :: Real Love
                                                            2 The Flying Burrito Brothers - The Gilded Palace of Sin (1969) :: Christine's Tune
                                                            3 The Who - The Who Sings My Generation (1965) :: My Generation
                                                            4 Weezer - Weezer (1994) :: Undone -- The Sweater Song
                                                            5 The Clash - The Clash (1979) :: White Riot
                                                            6 Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures (1979) :: She's Lost Control

Comment

sorry but i'll update this probably sat morning!

Comment

Working...
                                                              X