Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrapped Lead Singles Survivor | WINNER

SCRAPPED LEAD SINGLES

This is a survivor of songs that were announced and planned as the lead singles of an era, but due to various reasons (mostly underperforming) were:

• [*=center]scrapped from the album completely
      [*=center]reduced to a buzz/promo single
      [*=center]added to the album only as a bonus track

or the entire parent album got

• [*=center]scrapped
      [*=center]turned into an EP
      [*=center]delayed for years

Here's a list that I compiled of all the scrapped leads that I remember, but you are welcome to correct me if I made a mistake or add other songs that you know.

Ariana Grande - Focus
    Bebe Rexha feat. Nicki Minaj - No Broken Hearts
    Becky G - Shower
    Britney Spears & Iggy Azalea - Pretty Girls
    Camila Cabello - Crying in the Club
    Carly Rae Jepsen - Party for One
    Charli XCX feat. Lil Yachty - After the Afterparty
    Cher Lloyd - Activated
    Gwen Stefani - Baby Don't Lie
    Iggy Azalea - Team
    Iggy Azalea feat. Quavo - Savior
    Jennifer Lopez feat. Gente de Zona - Ni Tú Ni Yo
    Jennifer Lopez feat. Pitbull - Live It Up
    Mariah Carey feat. Rick Ross & Meek Mill - Triumphant (Get 'Em)
    Marina and the Diamonds - Radioactive
    Meghan Trainor - No Excuses
    MØ - Kamikaze
    Mutya Keisha Siobhan - Flatline
    Nicki Minaj feat. Sean Garrett - Massive Attack
    Nicki Minaj, Drake, Lil Wayne - No Frauds
    Porcelain Black - This Is What Rock n Roll Looks Like
    Rihanna, Kanye West, Paul McCartney - FourFiveSeconds
    Rita Ora - I Will Never Let You Down
    Selena Gomez - Bad Liar

Add other scrapped lead singles you know!

last.fm

Kerli - Army Of Love
    Kerli - Feral Hearts
    Hilary Duff - Chasing The Sun
    Lena - Lost In You
    Loreen - Paper Light (Higher)

Comment

The Veronicas - Lolita
      The Veronicas - In My Blood
      Samantha Jade - Firestarter
      Zayn feat. Sia - Dusk Til Dawn (Like Ariana's Focus, it only appears as a bonus track and on the Japanese Edition of Icarus Falls; Let Me was the official lead according to wiki).
      Shannon Noll - We Only Live Once

I could list a couple more, but from what I gather it's only the initial song that would have likely been the lead.

Like in your list, Bitch Better Have My Money and American Oxygen would also also be eligible but they wouldnt have been the 'lead' of Anti - just FourFiveSeconds since it was the 'start' of that run of singles.
      Last edited by Affillate; Sun July 7th, 2019, 11:02.
      UKMIXtapes Vol.3 | ROUND 9!

Comment

Delta Goodrem - I Don't Care
        Delta Goodrem - Think About You
        Little Boots - Headphones
        The Veronicas - In My Blood
        Jessica Mauboy - This Ain't Love
        Melanie C - Rock Me

Comment

Originally posted by Affillate View Post
          I could list a couple more, but from what I gather it's only the initial song that would have likely been the lead.

Like in your list, Bitch Better Have My Money and American Oxygen would also also be eligible but they wouldnt have been the 'lead' of Anti - just FourFiveSeconds since it was the 'start' of that run of singles.
          Exactly, this is not for all singles that got scrapped, just those that were truly supposed to be the leads of an era.
          last.fm

Comment

Originally posted by Carbon View Post
            Exactly, this is not for all singles that got scrapped, just those that were truly supposed to be the leads of an era.
            Ok, so I just deleted Hilary Duff's "All About You" from my list as that probably doesn't count. A shame, as it's often the second 'scrapped' single that really stood out (Fetish, All About You, Lena's "If I Wasn't Your Daughter" or Loreen's "I'm In It With You" for example).

Comment

some more obscure stuff (thanks to the destiny for the existence of Eurovision, so many acts with singles released and subsequently delayed/withdrawn albums)
              Kimbra - Sweet Relief - scrapped from the subsequent album
              Evermore - Between the Lines - turned into a buzz single
              Myrkur - Juniper - turned into an EP
              Carl Espen - Silent Storm - album delayed, never released
              Margaret Berger - I Feed You My Love - album delayed, never released
              Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

what about songs that were one offs and probably never intended to be on album? Some end up being soundtrack songs as well.

Kylie Minogue - Timebomb
                Katy Perry - Rise

These two kinda were one off buzz singles.

Comment

^ not eligible because they were intended as random/standalone/soundtrack singles, not announced as the first singles of an era
                  last.fm

Comment

Mariah Carey | You're So Cold
                    My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

Got to say Space - Love You More Than Football.

I’m sure there’s others I can’t think if at present.

Comment

I like the idea of this. There's so many I can think of, especially as an R&B fan in the late00s/early10s.

Ciara - Go Girl (feat. T-Pain)
                        Alicia Keys - In Common
                        Cassie - Official Girl (feat. Lil Wayne)
                        Cassie - King of Hearts
                        Cassie - Love a Loser (feat. G-Eazy)
                        Jennifer Lopez - Louboutins
                        Yasmin - On My Own
                        M.O - Who Do You Think Of?
                        Samantha Mumba - I'm Right Here
                        Christina Milian - Us Against the World
                        Jordin Sparks - I Am Woman
                        Katy B - What Love Is Made Of
                        Victoria Beckham - This Groove / Let Your Head Go
                        Mario - Somebody Else (feat. Nicki Minaj)
                        Charli XCX - SuperLove
                        Tinashe - Party Favors (feat. Young Thug)
                        Usher - Pop Ya Collar
                        Usher - Good Kisser
                        Lil Uzi Vert - New Patek
                        LIZ - When I Rule the World
                        Nicole Scherzinger - Whatever U Like (feat. T.I.)
                        Skylar Grey - Invisible
                        Mýa - Ayo! (feat. DJ Kool)
                        Nadine - Go to Work (also is it too early to put the Cheryl single on here dddd)
                        Kelis - Distance
                        Becky Hill - Losing
                        JoJo - Disaster
                        ALMA - Chasing Highs
                        RAYE - The Line
                        Clean Bandit - Tears (feat. Louisa)
                        Louisa - So Good
                        Sky Ferreira - One

As for ZAYN "Still Got Time (feat. PARTYNEXTDOOR)" should be the single featured in this over the Sia song since it was the original first single and got relegated to track #29 on the Japanese version of his album.

Stefflon Don’s Hurtin’ Me could end up on here if they don’t hurry up and get a debut album out. It was such a big hit in the UK that I wouldn’t be surprised if she includes it despite being three years old.

Beyoncé's Grown Woman could also count since she scrapped the album (and single release entirely) it was supposed to be on and included it as a video only on self-titled. Possibly stretching it since the release was canned though.

I'm also not sure how many of the Cassie songs count. Technically they're all lead singles for her second album, just three different scrapped second albums.

Plus I'm shocked that all of Kat DeLuna's lead singles ended up making it onto her albums (and that the title of her debut album 9 Lives foreshadowed her existence in the music industry ).
                        late.

Comment

What about Mariah ‘Triumphant (Get Em)’ and ‘I Don’t’
                          Last edited by Affillate; Mon July 8th, 2019, 12:41.

Comment

[MENTION=11491]urbanmusik[/MENTION] But "In Common" made it onto "Here" while "Tears" also ended up on Clean Bandit's album, so I don't think they fit into this survivor?

Comment

Originally posted by Tansike View Post
                              [MENTION=11491]urbanmusik[/MENTION] But "In Common" made it onto "Here" while "Tears" also ended up on Clean Bandit's album, so I don't think they fit into this survivor?
                              They're both bonus tracks. The Clean Bandit track is only the deluxe version of the album, the same goes for Alicia, with In Common being relegated to a deluxe/target bonus track depending on the territory.
                              late.

Comment

Some Male artists

Jesse McCartney - Shake (was meant to be the lead of his 2010 album Have It All that got shelved and is technically unreleased although some pressings of the finished album are out there)
                                Calvin Harris ft. Disciples - How Deep Is Your Love

Nick Jonas - Remember I Told You (ft. Anne Marie & Mike Posner) (could technically still end up on an album but I doubt it now its approaching 3 years by next year).

Also urbanmusik is right about Zayn's 'Still Got Time' it was mentioned in an article I found about scrapped lead singles.
                                Last edited by Affillate; Mon July 8th, 2019, 12:44.

Comment

What about Mariah ‘Triumphant (Get Em)’ and ‘I Don’t’
                                  "I Don't" most definitely was not going to be a lead single as Mariah wasn't even intent on recording an album at the time the song came out. It was simply a single to go along with the reality show.

You could classify "Triumphant" as a lead single but it again was never intended to be anything more than a stand alone project while she was recording her album that was expected to be released during her Idol stint. I guess it could be included in this survivor as it was a song Mariah loved and probably would have made it on the album had it received a better reception.

Comment

Calvin Harris ft. Disciples - How Deep Is Your Love

Nick Jonas - Remember I Told You (ft. Anne Marie & Mike Posner) (could technically still end up on an album but I doubt it now its approaching 3 years by next year).
                                    The Nick Jonas single definitely counts, his album isn't coming out anytime soon, and if it does none of the singles he released will make it onto it.

However the Calvin Harris track was never intended for an album, he released that during the period when he said he wouldn't be making albums any more.
                                    late.

Comment

Originally posted by urbanmusik View Post
                                      However the Calvin Harris track was never intended for an album, he released that during the period when he said he wouldn't be making albums any more.
                                      ah yes that's right, The aforementioned article was going on about how 'This Is What You Came For' never made it onto Funk Wav Vol 1 and I went back to the discography.

Comment

Haven’t had time to check all of the singles if they fit - one of the conditions is that they were released as singles. So the Mariah song that @RayRay nominated is not eligible as it was not released or hyped as a lead (as far as I know based on wikipedia).

@Tansike the songs don’t have to be fully scrapped from their albums. Reducing them to bonus tracks still means stripping them of their true lead single status because they flopped or whatever.

I thought Mariah’s Triumphant was announced as the lead single, but not sure really. Fans know better so y’all can correct me.
                                        last.fm

Comment

Originally posted by urbanmusik View Post
                                          They're both bonus tracks. The Clean Bandit track is only the deluxe version of the album, the same goes for Alicia, with In Common being relegated to a deluxe/target bonus track depending on the territory.
                                          Oh sorry, forgot about "Tears" being just on deluxe and up to now I actually always thought "In Common" wasn't a bonus track and the true lead

Comment

This is such a great idea! Everything I can think of has already been named, but will see if I remember anything else.

Comment

I'll also add:
                                              Janet Jackson - Made for Now - announced as a lead to an "upcoming EP" which never got released
                                              Ashanti feat. Ty Dolla $ign - Say Less - for an upcoming album that hasn't been mentioned since like 2017

With this, I will close the nominations for now in order to start the survivor, but if y'all think of some other songs, feel free to add them and I will tack them onto some of the later groups
                                              last.fm

Comment

Originally posted by Carbon View Post
                                                Haven’t had time to check all of the singles if they fit - one of the conditions is that they were released as singles. So the Mariah song that @RayRay nominated is not eligible as it was not released or hyped as a lead (as far as I know based on wikipedia).
                                                Your title of this thread isn't clear. It says "SCRAPPED LEAD SINGLES". Maybe you should change it to "buzz singles"?

From wikipedia (and common knowledge among lambs):

"You're So Cold," was originally intended to be the lead single from Emotions, eventually being switched for the title track.
                                                My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

Originally posted by RayRay View Post
                                                  Your title of this thread isn't clear. It says "SCRAPPED LEAD SINGLES". Maybe you should change it to "buzz singles"?

From wikipedia (and common knowledge among lambs):

"You're So Cold," was originally intended to be the lead single from Emotions, eventually being switched for the title track.
                                                  Buzz singles is too broad, though I agree that my title is not perfect. It's the closest I could think of without having a long descriptive title.

Basically: artist releases single, it's announced as the lead single of an upcoming era --> (in most cases) song underperforms --> album gets scrapped / album gets released but with a new lead single --> the original one is left out or moved to bonus tracks

Round 1 starts in a moment
                                                  last.fm

Comment

Working...
                                                  X