No announcement yet.

Lady Gaga - Chromatica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I didn't hear all songs yet but I love "Babylon." I love that Shep Pettibone vibe (Janet Jackson's 1989 "Miss You Much" remixes, and later Madonna's "Vogue"). It also reminds me of some Army of Lovers and Grace Jones songs. It's like a great mix of all these things. I love it.
    Gone.

Comment

• She could have kept Free Woman, Fun Tonight and Plastic Doll.

Comment

• The Sour Candy - Enigma - Replay streak is so powerful ugh, her mind.

I'm a bit disappointed bout the end of the album. Sine & 1000 Doves sound like some 2010 David Guetta songs with the dance breaks. I also agree that Fun Tonight sounds like a 2012 Katy Perry song. It's so weird, the album is great and then sounds dated at times. I guess it ain't as bad as the previews made me think yesterday, but it ain't that amazing either. It's definitely a solid album tho. And whoever said "this is like her Confessions on a dance floor moment", electric chair.

Free Woman reminds me of some Kylie songs from Fever which is a nice touch.
        Also my absolute favorite Replay reminds me of some Daft Punk - Discovery songs. Love the throwback.

It is better than Joanne, ASIB. But it doesn't top The Fame or Artpop for me. But I'm glad to finally add a new Gaga album to my collection, it's been a while
        Last edited by LotsOfLove; Fri May 29th, 2020, 08:07.

Comment

• This wil probably get more spins from me than either Joanne or ASIB did. Too soon to say how much staying power it have, but for now I'm having fun with this candy-scented bubble bath of throwback pop-house anthems.
          The sands of time fade into dark
          Feel your pulse it's groove o'clock
          A message to madness
          Feel music that's realness

Comment

• I’ll have to have another couple of run throughs, but for me I’m more underwhelmed on first listen than I was on any of her other albums. The EDM lead in on half the songs.. why.
            If I should die this very day

Comment

• Sine is probably the most powerful dance track I’ve heard in a long while. It’s my favourite out of all the tracks right now

There’s no question that Alice should have been the lead single, a fantastic way to introduce the album

Comment

• Such a solid dance album! No filler! wow!

Fun Tonight is one of my favorites!
                Haven't been early since '88

Comment

• Chromatica 1 - 9/10 - the composition is beautiful.. I generally skip interludes etc., but this one will stay in the loop.

Alice - 7.5/10 - I think this’ll grow and I think it leads well. I just find it a bit ‘easy’, especially the ‘take me home’ section which runs for so long.

Stupid Love - 8.5/10 - The beat is great. The look at me section is fantastic. It blends into its chorus like classic Gaga. It’s great.

Rain on Me - 9.5/10 - Fantastic song. It goes everywhere I want it to. My only problem was that I found myself listening to it for Ariana’s parts. Not a negative, but I’m here for Gaga.

Free Woman - 5/10 - This wouldn’t have made ARTPOP and she knows it.

Fun Tonight - 4/10 - The verses are Btec Hannah Montana. I won’t lie that I was actually gutted by midpoint in the album thinking this was it.

Chromatica II - 8/10 - Brilliant again.

911 - 10/10 - FINALLY. This is a BTW upgrade if ever there was one. Everything about it feels slick. I’ll forgive the EDM prechorus because it doesn’t ruin the chorus. What a bop. Love it.

Plastic Doll - 6/10 - B-side The Fame. Not a bad thing, not a great thing. I’m shocked this is on if I’m honest. More than any of the others.

SourCANDY - 9.5/10 - This gives me hope the rest will grow, because this has so much. I lied yesterday; her part is by far the best of the two on the song. I love the speaking parts. Very Vogue, but new.

Enigma - 7.5/10 - I feel this is what she was going for on the previous heavy dance ones, but it finally sort of hit. Pre-chorus works well.

Replay - 7.5/10 - It’s great, just verges on dated. I hope it is never a single, but I enjoy it for the album.

Chromatica III - 9/10 - Amazing.. again. It could’ve been the intro.

Sine From Above - 9.5/10 - She smashed this. Completely in control of this song vocally. Again I’m forgiving a massive EDM reliance because it isn’t forced here. I like Elton’s part. They work well together and I’m glad it wasn’t a ballad.

1000 Doves - 6/10 - Bored. And gutted there’s another one in the same vein. This isn’t her.

Babylon - 9/10 - VERY Vogue. It isn’t a bad thing for me as I love Vogue. But it’s very very Vogue. And this is from someone who defended BTW against EY for a year on this forum. It’s a great song. Loved the outro, but felt the album needed something else to finish?

Overall - 7/10. I didn’t include the Chromatica parts in my overall. It was first listen, but I feel a bit gutted to be honest. I’ve always been happy with Gaga when I can think ‘yea that’s what she wanted - that’s exactly how she wanted this song/album’ and I just didn’t feel it, for the first time. I’ll be listening all weekend so hopefully they grow like SC did. I just feel so underwhelmed. I don’t hear her in so much of it and some songs are just so generic. There are plenty of bops but a big potential skip list and I never skip Gags.
                  Last edited by VoReason; Fri May 29th, 2020, 08:16.

Comment

• There’s a few bangers on this (Replay, Alice, Sine From Above) but I agree that it’s all very samey and safe which makes me a bit sad since this is GaGa.

I feel like it’s missing those weirder more experimental songs that make her so special... give me a Government Hooker or an Americano!!

Comment

• VoReason Mathematical average of your review, without interludes, is 7.65, though, not 7. Which rounded to the nearest whole number would be 8.

Comment

• Finally have the time to listen to this for the first time. I'm so freaking excited...

Are there already some professional reviews for "Chromatica"?

Comment

• The album is good and bad at the same time. Individually the songs but 911 are solid but as a body of work it is a very exhausting listen
                          Forever Young

Comment

• Originally posted by Tansike View Post
                            Finally have the time to listen to this for the first time. I'm so freaking excited...

There is one on metacritic:

“Enigma” really is a fitting word for Gaga. Her choices can be puzzling, and not every song is a success, but that unpredictability is what makes her exciting and leaves us coming back for more. So maybe Gaga doesn’t know who she truly is yet. It’s still enjoyable to watch her figure it out.

Other should follow soon, i think

https://www.metacritic.com/music/chr...dy-gaga?ref=hp
                            aRat's NUDES LEAKED

Comment

• Originally posted by Tansike View Post
                              Finally have the time to listen to this for the first time. I'm so freaking excited...

I found

UsMagazine - 3.5/4
                              The Sun - 4/5
                              Av Club - B

Positive review from Billboard but as usual no scores or stars.

Comment

• Originally posted by nympho View Post

Just got an email from Amazon telling me my deluxe CD won’t arrive till next Thursday 4 June...

It will have to be just digital for me at the moment.
                                So Amazon just sent a new mail telling me I’m receiving it today!

I’ll have the deluxe CD in a few hours.

Still 2 new songs to discover!

Comment

• ^ Thanks!

So pretty good but not outstanding reviews so far. Hopefully she gets a nice score at Metacritic.

Comment

Still 2 new songs to discover!
                                    Love me Right & 1000 Doves piano version? Or there are other songs too?

Comment

• Ok, first spin is done now... and my first impression isn't the best. Really have to admit that I'm disappointed. So fingers crossed the album is a grower for me. Besides "Rain On Me" and "Sour Candy", only "Alice" stood out as a new song to me, though I really love that one. Hopefully they pick that as a next single and not "Free Woman". The orchestral interludes are great, too. The rest just isn't cohesive for me (yet) and to be honest, this is probably my least favorite Gaga album on its first spin.

Really hope my opinion changes soon, "Chromatica" is still going to be on heavy rotation for me from now on.

With that said, do we know if "Sour Candy" is a promo / official single?

Comment

• Can’t wait to see all those who didn’t love this to come back in a few weeks to a month and stan hard.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mpol View Post
                                          Can’t wait to see all those who didn’t love this to come back in a few weeks to a month and stan hard.
                                          That's probably (or hopefully) me in a few days already

Comment

VoReason Mathematical average of your review, without interludes, is 7.65, though, not 7. Which rounded to the nearest whole number would be 8.
                                            That's the beauty of listening to music and not doing maths. You may have taken the time to work out my mean score, but the album feels like a 7 on first listen, as an overall combined piece that runs past each song's individual rating.

No need to @ me. I gave my honest opinion, like you did. I've stanned through my share of album releases for LG on this forum, so I'll review it how I see fit, given it's my opinion and no one else's.
                                            Last edited by VoReason; Fri May 29th, 2020, 09:39.

Comment

• “Beauty of listening to music and not doing maths” yet you gave a number to each song and to the album as a whole...

Chill. I was just pointing out that your overall score didn’t match with the mathematical average of your individual scores. In case you have miscalculated it.

Comment

• CLASH review

From within the storm of hype surrounding Lady Gaga’s sixth studio album, it’s easy to forget that it’s now been over a decade since she released a record that wasn’t patchy at best. Back in the day, she was on a run so strong that she could repackage ‘The Fame’ and throw in eight brand new tracks, including classics like ‘Telephone’ and ‘Bad Romance,’ like it was the simplest thing in the world.

Given 2016’s ‘Joanne’ featured elements of country, not to mention the worldwide success of ‘A Star Is Born’ and its associated soundtrack, it’s been curious to wonder in what direction the Gaga of 2020 is heading. However, one listen to the grandiose strings that elevate opener ‘Chromatica I’ and introduce our queen, and it’s clear that we’re in for a tour through vintage Gaga.

‘Chromatica’ is stuffed full of hi-NRG club bangers that truly hark back to Gaga’s imperial period. It exists in world completely immune to recent trends in pop, where Drake and The Weeknd’s introspective, downcast R&B didn’t conquer all and, as a result, it’s like a beacon to a brighter tomorrow.

Across its sixteen tracks, ‘Chromatica’ is entirely over-the-top, but in the best possible way. Every song is an anthem of defiance and empowerment, turned up to 11 and genetically engineered for maximum danceability. You get the feeling that subtlety really isn’t in her vocabulary and even when the lyrics tell of struggle – witness the nod to her debut album in ‘Fun Tonight’ (“Love the paparazzi, love the fame / Even though you know it causes me pain”) – it’s always a precursor to persisting and overcoming, the obstacle that inevitably gives way to the victory dance.

Previous Gaga records have always been dogged by her insistence on including syrupy ballads which, more often than not, had a strong whiff of 80s hair metal about that. However, ‘Chromatica’ is structured more like a greatest hits: 43 minutes where the pace absolutely does not relent.

Spotting the name of Elton John as a featured artist could easily lead you to believe we’re preparing for something in the vein of the Bradley Cooper duet, ‘Shallow,’ but their collaboration (‘Sine From Above’) is anything but. In fact, there’s an argument to be made that it’s the most raucous song in the collection, given that it descends into a full-on drum n’ bass breakdown in the last 20 seconds.

‘Chromatica’ doesn’t do anything you haven’t heard before, including from Gaga herself, but it’s tough to think of a pop album of recent times that manages to sustain such a high level of quality, not to mention ridiculous energy, throughout. Just listening to it feels like an aerobic workout at times, but it also comes with the rewarding endorphin rush of intense cardio. When she sings, “This is my dancefloor I fought for,” on ‘Free Woman,’ it rings true.

More than ten years after she burst onto the scene with her Madonna-worshipping, take-no-prisoners maximalist dance-pop, Gaga has finally made a worthy follow-up to the album that made us fall in love with her in the first place.

8/10

https://clashmusic.com/reviews/lady-gaga-chromatica

Comment

• Sine From Above never fails to scalp me. It's THAT bitch.
                                                  Also Replay is just.... ugh perfection!
                                                  "I see it, I like it, I want it... I GOT IT."

Comment

• The album shoot and artwork might be my favourite since TFM

Comment

• The second half of the album is magnificent indeed (I love her vocals in 1000 Doves). I´m gping to shuffle the order of the songs to make it less heavy
                                                      Beauty is beauty, whether is black or white

Comment

• What a banger of an album - she's right back where she needs to be IMO, easily her best work since the Born This Way era. So glad she's capitalised on the ASIB success by bringing back classic dance/pop Gaga.

Highlights for me: Alice, Stupid Love, Rain On Me, 911, Sour Candy, Enigma, Sine From Above, Babylon - loads of potential singles! I'll be spinning this for ages.

Sine From Above is especially epic, it's like Sash and Faithless produced it in 1998. Elton and Gaga on a dance anthem is everything we never knew we needed.
                                                        THRILLER’S SOUNDS OF THE 90s

Comment

• This is pretty good. It’s quite generic but I think that’s part of the appeal and it picks up a lot in the second half. Sour Candy to Sine From Above is banger after banger. I think there’s going to be lots of club staples once they re-open.
                                                          Fiat 500

Comment

• I love gaga, but honestly this is such a crap album on first listen, very disappointed

Comment

• METRO

Lady Gaga Chromatica review: Freeing dance opus exorcises the ghost of ARTPOP

4,5/5

Lady Gaga understands pop music like no other. This has always been clear from the very start of her career, when her debut single Just Dance ushered in, by sheer force of will, a new era of synth-pop supremacy.

Lady Gaga understands pop music like no other, but sometimes she’s guilty of letting the art overshine the pop. With Chromatica, she both makes a comeback and an artistic re-birth. No pop album this year has made us happier to listen to.

Full review:
                                                              https://metro.co.uk/2020/05/29/lady-...tpop-12775026/

Comment

Working...
                                                              X