Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UKMIX Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums of the 2010s (#1 REVEALED + REVISED TOP 100)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fergie's album is extremely mediocre to me. Some tracks sound unfinished, the downgrade from The Dutchess is real. Also, aside from the promoted singles - it's pretty much a straight up Pop album with no R&B/Urban elements at all in my opinion.

I kinda feel bad for her though. It seems like she put her heart and soul into the album, promoting it everywhere, shooting music video for every track - yet the result was not it.

-

Black Panther & The Gift, 2 'soundtrack' albums with similar concepts. One was extremely successful and the other one was...
    Beyonce done that album SO WRONG let me just say that. I hate her.

Comment

• ^At least the music video for "Sprite" was great though.

#Justice4Already #Justice4Bigger #Justice4Water #Justice4AllTheArtistsInvolved #WeNeedTheFullVersionOfNILE

Comment

• The Gift is so unerrated omg. It really became one of my fave Bey related projects/albums. I expected this to dropout relatively soon but not even Top 60 is harsh. Well I will always come back to it. Hope to see some trakcs on tour at least. And I'm not talking about Sprite only...

Didn't like Fergie's sophmore at all. Kenrdick and Tinashe both have better albums yet to come during this countdown (hopefully). The BP album has strong highlights but also many tracks I don't enjoy. Didn't vote for mixtapes in general tbh. Ciara has always been bad with albums imo but Basic Instinct is one of her better ones and I really like the highlights you picked. Here's to hoping her best album is yet to come on this countdown as well
        aRat's NUDES LEAKED

Comment

• Originally posted by BeeBoy View Post
          Hope to see some trakcs on tour at least.
          Can't wait for the crowd to be like, "OMG Beyonce just premiered some new songs".

Comment

• The albums by Emeli Sandé and Iggy Azalea have some brilliant standouts, but as whole albums they didn't really hit me this much and therefor I didn't vote for them.

Glad all three albums by Banks made this countdown with "III" also being her highest one, as it's also my most favorite album from hers to date. I was hoping for an even higher place but #66 is fine.

Didn't feel Fergie's latest album sadly. Her first album was amazing, but this was not it IMO.

Comment

• The black panther soundtrack took a while for me to warm to, but once I did I couldn't get enough of it. Some those tracks go hard.

Comment

• I'm sad to see 2014 Forest Hills Drive and Colouring Book so low. Arguably two of the best hip hop albums of the decade, and my #7 and #9 respectively.
                • You guys are really into Banks
                • Completely forgot bout Emeli Sande and M.IA., but I wouldn't include them anyway.
                • I didn't really enjoy Double Dutchess, and I only kept Gimme Dat from Basic Instinct. Iggy's The New Classic and Tinashe's Nightride didn't have much longevity for me either.
                • Glad to see the Black Panther soundtrack chart. I personally didn't vote for it because I felt that I already voted for too many Kendrick releases, but it deserves to be here.
                • The Gift is seriously underrated and I am sad to see it flop as much as it did. It had a brilliant concept full of hit potential singles, but...what can you do. My #28.

There's some albums that I haven't checked out yet which I've listed down to do so. For you to rate them as best of the decade they must be worth a listen.
                Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

• Nightride was that GIRL. I still play it often. One of my favorite stoner albums of all time. My #7

Didn't vote for Banks but I enjoy all her albums. She gets better each album to me.

Double Dutchess was cute but mad late.

Basic Instincts is one of CiCi's ok albums.

I adored True. Super underrated.

Originally posted by snoh aalegra

- Ugh, those feels again

Comment

• For me The Gift was underwhelming. I thought it was going to be strong, the concept was great and she could have deliviered, but for me it was weak.
                    Black Panther is kinda the opposite. I was not expecitng anything special and then some songs were really storng.
                    VISIT UKmix HOT100 @ Front Desk
                    ENJOY Hits in the Mix! weekly chart @ General Music

Comment

Chris Brown, X

Voted by: Erotica, Marchum, abi, Rihab, Tansike, JSparksFan, Ska8er
                      Year-end chart position: 5

Release date: September 12, 2014
                      Genre: R&B, Pop, Hip hop
                      Highlights:Autumn Leaves” (feat. Kendrick Lamar), “New Flame” (feat. Usher, Rick Ross), “Fine China

X is the sixth studio album by American singer Chris Brown. It was released on September 12, 2014, by CBE Entertainment and RCA Records. The album serves as the follow-up to his fifth album Fortune (2012). X was preceded by five singles: "Fine China", "Don't Think They Know", "Love More", "Loyal" and "New Flame". The album's fourth single "Loyal" became its most successful, by peaking at number nine on the US Billboard Hot 100 and at number 10 in the United Kingdom. Pushing the promotion for the album further, Brown performed and appeared at several televised music events and music festivals across the United States. The album received generally positive reviews from critics, who celebrated the record's diverse sound, but were ambivalent towards its lyrical content. The album was considered a big improvement compared to its critically panned predecessor Fortune. At the 2015 Grammy Awards, the album was nominated for the Best Urban Contemporary Album, while "New Flame" was nominated for Best R&B Performance and Best R&B Song. Commercially, the album debuted at number two on the US Billboard 200 selling 146,000 copies in its first week, becoming his first album to miss the summit of the chart since Graffiti (2009) and his third album to go to number two on the chart overall following Exclusive (2007).

Comment

Monica, Still Standing

Voted by: mattsky, LongingHeart, Marchum, quilmrt, Michiel, Preyoncé
                        Year-end chart position: 8

Release date: March 19, 2010
                        Genre: R&B, Soul, Pop
                        Highlights:Everything To Me”, “Love All Over Me”, “Still Standing” (feat. Ludacris)

Still Standing is the sixth studio album by American R&B singer Monica. It was released on March 19, 2010 by J Records. Recording for the album began in 2007, in which the singer intended to take a more traditional approach to the genre and take away any "gimmicks". As executive producer of the album Monica enlisted a variety of producers including involvement by Missy Elliott, Bryan-Michael Cox, Stargate, and Jermaine Dupri. The album received mostly positive reviews, based on an aggregate score of 71/100 from Metacritic, with critics perceiving its sound as "a return to the mid-'90s heyday" of contemporary R&B. A commercial success, it debuted at number two on the US Billboard 200 chart, selling 184,000 in its first week, and reached the top of the Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart, becoming Monica's second album to do so. Still Standing was certified gold by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) for shipments of 500,000 copies and sold 474,000 units in the United States. The lead single, "Everything to Me", peaked at number forty-four on the US Billboard Hot 100 and number-one on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Singles & Tracks chart, becoming her first chart-topper in over seven years. The album was nominated for a Grammy Award for Best R&B Album, presented at the 53rd Grammy Awards in 2011.

Comment

Michael Jackson, XScape

Voted by: Erotica, quilmrt, bm08, Goldmoney, Preyoncé
                          Year-end chart position: 6

Release date: May 9, 2014
                          Genre: Dance-pop, Funk, R&B
                          Highlights:Love Never Felt So Good” (feat. Justin Timberlake), “Slave To The Rhythm”, “A Place With No Name

Xscape is the second posthumous album by American singer Michael Jackson, composed of previously unreleased tracks that were recorded between 1983 and 1999. It was released on May 9, 2014 by Epic Records, MJJ Music and Sony Music Entertainment, and is the tenth release by Sony and/or Motown since Jackson's death on June 25, 2009. L.A. Reid, chairman of Epic Records, curated and served as executive producer for the album enlisting Timbaland to lead a team of record producers, including StarGate, Jerome "J-Roc" Harmon, John McClain, and Rodney Jerkins, to remix and contemporize the eight selected tracks. Jerkins produced the title song and is the only original song producer to work on the final productions. The standard version of Xscape features eight tracks, each reworked between 2013 and 2014, whilst the deluxe version also includes the original versions of the songs which were recorded between 1983 and 1999, a bonus track and two videos. Xscape was promoted across the Sony group of companies; Sony Mobile used a snippet of "Slave to the Rhythm" in their advertising campaign for the Xperia Z2 mobile phone. Xscape debuted at number two on the Billboard 200 and number one on the Billboard Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart. The album was preceded by the release of its lead single, "Love Never Felt So Good", which included a newly recorded version featuring Justin Timberlake. It was a top 10 hit on the Billboard Hot 100, reaching number nine. Xscape was generally well received by critics and would go on to be certified Platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA).

Comment

FKA Twigs, MAGDALENE

Voted by: mattsky, heppolo, Jonathan, beredy, Ska8er
                            Year-end chart position: 3

Release date: November 8, 2019
                            Genre: Art pop, Electronic, R&B
                            Highlights:Cellophane”, “Sad Day”, “holy terrain” (feat. Future)

Magdalene (stylised in all caps) is the second studio album by English singer and songwriter FKA Twigs. It was released on 8 November 2019 by Young Turks. It is her first project since her EP M3LL155X (2015), and first full-length record since LP1 (2014). FKA Twigs produced the album herself, with a wide range of co-producers including Nicolas Jaar, Koreless, Daniel Lopatin, Skrillex, Benny Blanco, Michael Uzowuru and Noah Goldstein, who also served as executive producer alongside Twigs. The singles "Cellophane", "Holy Terrain" featuring American rapper Future, "Home with You", and "Sad Day" were released on 24 April, 9 September, 7 October, and 4 November, respectively. The album will be supported by the Magdalene Tour, beginning in North America on 2 November and continuing in Europe on 25 November. Magdalene was met with widespread critical acclaim. At Metacritic, the album received an average score of 88, based on 28 reviews. Pitchfork awarded Magdalene the distinction of "Best New Music", with Julianne Escobedo Shepherd describing it as "her best album so far", saying that it "is as introspective as anything she's written, but more obviously centers her voice as a conduit for plain emotion".

Comment

• The first batch where all of the albums were in the top 10 in their respective year-end charts. We love successful albums.

-

Chris Brown's X was my #2. By far his most consistent body of work so far with many highlights from various genres.
                              On top of that, all the features on the album are fire:
                              "Autumn Leaves" (feat. Kendrick Lamar)
                              "Don't Think They Know" (feat. Aaliyah)
                              "New Flame" (feat. Usher)
                              "Do Better" (feat. Brandy)
                              "Loyal" (feat. Wayne & Tyga)
                              "Drunk Texting" (feat. Jhené Aiko)

Not to mention we almost had a collabo with Ms. Ponytail herself, Ariana Grande but he ended up putting the solo version on the album even though the video already existed.

Comment

• X had some great highlight but was too inconsitent for me. There is only one album this decade from him I enjoy from start to finish. Autumn leaves is Top 5 of his discography though imo. I forgot about it for quite some time now, so let me give it a spin
                                aRat's NUDES LEAKED

Comment

• ^That's the thing with Chris I feel like. He releases WAY TOO MANY SONGS in a short period of time to the point that we would forget a lot of his previous stuff immediately. He needs to chill (he just released a collaboration album with Young Thug by the way, if anyone cares).

Go take care of your daughter(s?). Go find some inspirations or whatever. X was good because it was the results of him trying out different stuff & playing around with other genres. His other albums are pretty much just templates for a generic Cont. R&B album with the same old topics.

Comment

• MAGDALENE #57? At this rate my Top 10 won't even finish Top 40
                                    I have received many gifts from God,
                                    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

• Originally posted by beredy View Post
                                      MAGDALENE #57? At this rate my Top 10 won't even finish Top 40
                                      Tbh I don't expect many 2019 albums to finish high
                                      aRat's NUDES LEAKED

Comment

• X is indeed a pretty good album. X is probably my favorite Chris Brown song as well.

Monica's Still Standing is such a R&B classic for me, I love it

Comment

• Yes, "X" was a really good album with several great highlights. I'm still not over the fact they never released "Don't Be Gone Too Long" with Ariana as a single, it could have been such a hit and I mean, the video even leaked (and I love it!).

FKA's album was good, but had a smaller impact on me than I was hoping for.

Comment

• Originally posted by LongingHeart View Post
                                            X is indeed a pretty good album. X is probably my favorite Chris Brown song as well.

Monica's Still Standing is such a R&B classic for me, I love it
                                            Still Standing was my #4. A true classic. Glad to see it made the chart, but should have been way higher.

Comment

• So many great albums! Solange, FKA Twigs, Monica, Iggy - so many classics!

Still Standing (the song) is one of my all time favorite ones. It helped me a lot when I was struggling with some stuff.
                                              Haven't been early since '88

Comment

• Didn’t listen to X nor do I want but I did vote for a CB album shamefully.
                                                Originally posted by beredy
                                                When people see your post this is what they see:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

• ooh just catching up with this. nice to see Banks, Eggy and some others charting here.

Didn't vote for Jessie Ware's Glasshouse as it's more of a pop album to me.

Ew at Jessie J's one being there, though I have a soft spot for R.O.S.E. which no one knows exists
                                                  last.fm

Comment

• Our Version of Events is a great album. It has most of my fave Emeli songs. The Black Panther soundtrack had some stunners, too. I liked the Lion King soundtrack as well.

X is CB's post-Exclusive best. I may even prefer it to Exclusive at this point, actually. The duets slay!
                                                    Akini's Top 400 Songs of the Decade: [2-1!]

Comment

• Originally posted by Tansike View Post
                                                      I'm still not over the fact they never released "Don't Be Gone Too Long" with Ariana as a single, it could have been such a hit and I mean, the video even leaked (and I love it!).
                                                      I love that he explained during his Mario Lopez interview that it was cancelled due to the conflict between his album release and her My Everything singles but Ariana implied on Twitter that it was simply because he had to go to jail.

Comment

• LOL for Monica appearing in a Best Album Of The Decade countdown. She went by totally unnoticed.

I was hoping for LP1 to chart higher than MADALENE so I am more than happy that it might be happening still...
                                                        YOU KNOW ME, I JUST DON'T STOP. | My last.fm

Comment

• Thank you everybody for still following the countdown,
                                                          Your boy unfortunately has to deal with a couple of deadlines today.

In the meantime,
                                                          Let's enjoy this next performance of "Happy Without Me"
                                                          Please give it up for the always stunning Chloe x Halle!

Comment

• One of my favorites songs from the last decade.
                                                            aRat's NUDES LEAKED

Comment

• So many of my favourite albums out already :( for example X and Xscape :(
                                                              I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Comment

Working...
                                                              X