Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UKMIX Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums of the 2010s (#1 REVEALED + REVISED TOP 100)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
    X is CB's post-Exclusive best. I may even prefer it to Exclusive at this point, actually. The duets slay!
    Same here. May be his strongest album now that I think about it.

Loved Still Standing, one of my favorite R&B comebacks ever.

Magdalene was life. I really re-discovered miss Tahliah this year and my life hasn't been the same since.

Loose LP1 just may appear higher
    Originally posted by snoh aalegra

- Ugh, those feels again

Comment

• 54. (tie)

Jazmine Sullivan, Love Me Back

Voted by: LongingHeart, Thriller, TIfan, minime
      Year-end chart position: 4

Release date: November 29, 2010
      Genre: R&B, Soul, Hip hop soul
      Highlights:Holding You Down (Goin’ In Circles)”, “Stuttering”, “10 Seconds

Love Me Back is the second studio album by American R&B singer Jazmine Sullivan, released on November 29, 2010, by J Records. The album is the follow-up to Sullivan's debut album Fearless (2008), which was well received by music critics and earned Sullivan seven Grammy Award nominations. Sullivan co-wrote the album with producers Missy Elliott, Ne-Yo, No I.D., Los da Mystro, and Salaam Remi, among others. The album debuted at number 17 on the Billboard 200 and sold 57,000 copies in its first week. It produced two singles, including the lead single "Holding You Down (Goin' in Circles)", which peaked at number three on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart. Love Me Back received universal acclaim from music critics, who praised its songwriting and Sullivan's singing. At Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating out of 100 to reviews from professional critics, the album received an average score of 82, based on 11 reviews. Reviewing for AllMusic, Andy Kellman said the album "sprawls and stuns in equal measure". In Spin magazine, Maura Johnston found Sullivan "both feisty and classy", while Michael Cragg of The Guardian said her singing is marked by experience and accommodates each song.

Comment

• 54. (tie)

Janelle MonŠe, The ArchAndroid

Voted by: Loose, heppolo, Leo, cheapthrills, Jonathan, beredy
        Year-end chart position: 10

Release date: May 18, 2010
        Genre: Neo soul, Alt-R&B, Psychedelic pop
        Highlights:Tightrope” (feat. Big Boi), “Cold War”, “Locked Inside

The ArchAndroid is the debut studio album by American singer Janelle MonŠe, released on May 18, 2010, by Wondaland Arts Society and Bad Boy Records. Production for the album took place at Wondaland Studios in Atlanta and was primarily handled by MonŠe, Nate "Rocket" Wonder, and Chuck Lightning, with only one song without production by MonŠe. It consists of the second and third parts to MonŠe's Metropolis concept series. Incorporating conceptual elements of Afrofuturism and science fiction, The ArchAndroid continues the series' fictional tale of a messianic android and features lyrical themes of love, identity, and self-realization. The album has been compared to the work of artists such as David Bowie, Outkast, Prince and Michael Jackson. The album features multiple collaborations with artists Saul Williams, Big Boi, Of Montreal and Deep Cotton. The ArchAndroid received widespread acclaim from critics, earning praise for its conceptual themes and MonŠe's eclectic musical range. It was named the best album of 2010 by several critics and earned MonŠe a Grammy Award nomination for Best Contemporary R&B Album.

Comment

• 54. (tie)

Azealia Banks, Broke With Expensive Taste

Voted by: heppolo, Noahh, BeeBoy, Ruthymon, NormiMalone, Carbon, Loveguru
          Year-end chart position: 12

Release date: November 7, 2014
          Genre: Dance-pop, Hip hop, House
          Highlights:212” (feat. Lazy Jay), “Luxury”, “Yung Rapunxel

Broke with Expensive Taste is the debut studio album by American rapper Azealia Banks. In 2011, Banks started working on the album despite not having signed to a record label at that time. A year later, she signed a contract deal with Interscope and Polydor Records to work on the album. However, she felt dissatisfied with the labels' representatives and consequently, she ended the contract with the labels in July 2014 and signed to Prospect Park. After being delayed for over two years, Broke with Expensive Taste was released on November 7, 2014 by Banks herself and Prospect Park via Caroline Records without any prior announcements at all. Broke with Expensive Taste was described as a hip house and dance-pop record which incorporates elements from a wide range of genres, including punk, trance, trap, R&B and UK garage. The album received positive reviews from music critics, who praised Banks' musical diversity and opined that the album was "worth the wait". The record spawned four singles: "Yung Rapunxel", "Heavy Metal and Reflective", "Chasing Time", and "Ice Princess".

Comment

The Carters, EVERYTHING IS LOVE

Voted by: mattsky, UndercoverSista, Marchum, quilmrt, Noahh, abi, BeeBoy, Rihab, DnBLover, Jonathan, Ska8er
            Year-end chart position: 9

Release date: June 16, 2018
            Genre: Hip hop, R&B, Soul
            Highlights:APESH*T”, “BLACK EFFECT”, “BOSS

Everything Is Love (stylized in all caps) is a collaborative studio album by American duo The Carters, their surnames by marriage. It was released on June 16, 2018, by Parkwood Entertainment, Sony Music Entertainment, S.C Enterprises, and Roc Nation. Beyoncť and Jay-Z produced the album alongside a variety of collaborators, including Cool & Dre, Boi-1da, and Pharrell Williams. Additional vocalists recorded for the album include Williams, Quavo, Offset, and Ty Dolla Sign, among others. The hip hop and R&B album explores themes of romantic love, fame, wealth, and black pride. The album was not made public until its release was announced by Beyoncť and Jay-Z while onstage at a London concert for their On the Run II Tour and later through their social media accounts. It was originally exclusive to the music distribution service Tidal, before given a wider release on June 18, 2018. At the 61st Annual Grammy Awards, the album won for Best Urban Contemporary Album, and was nominated Best Music Video for "Apeshit" and Best R&B Performance for "Summer".

Comment

Jhenť Aiko, Sail Out

Voted by: LongingHeart, Marchum, DnBLover, Michiel, minime, Loveguru
              Year-end chart position: 23

Release date: June 19, 2013
              Genre: Alt-R&B, Neo soul, R&B
              Highlights:The Worst”, “Bed Peace” (feat. Childish Gambino), “3:16am

Sail Out is the debut extended play (EP) by American recording artist Jhenť Aiko, released on June 19, 2013, through Def Jam Recordings. It was Aiko's first release under the label after leaving her contract with Sony Records in 2003. After leaving Sony Records, Aiko released her first mixtape Sailing Soul(s) (2011), independently; the mixtape featured appearances from well-known artists and was met with generally positive reviews and was nominated for Best Urban Contemporary Album at the 57th Annual Grammy Awards. In 2012, Aiko met with American record producer and vice president of A&R at Def Jam No I.D., who ended up signing Aiko to his Artium Records imprint, through Def Jam. The writing, recording and producing of the EP began shortly after Aiko was signed to Def Jam in 2012. Most of the album was written by Aiko herself and features production from No I.D. and Fisticuffs, the latter of whom is responsible for producing the majority of Aiko's debut mixtape Sailing Soul(s) (2011). The album features guest appearances from several rappers, such as Kendrick Lamar, Ab-Soul, Childish Gambino and Vince Staples. Aiko released the track "3:16AM", for digital download on the iTunes Store on September 4, 2012. The song was released as the first single from Sail Out. "Bed Peace" featuring Childish Gambino was released as the album's lead single on September 17, 2013. The single's artwork and music video was inspired by John Lennon and Yoko Ono’s Bed-Ins for Peace protest against the Vietnam War.

Comment

• Janelle Monae‘s ArchAindroid was in my votes obviously.

One of the more interesting conceptual records of the decade + her best me thinks.
                YOU KNOW ME, I JUST DON'T STOP. | My last.fm

Comment

Keri Hilson, No Love Allowed

Voted by: Erotica, Ivica, Thriller, Tansike, Michiel, minime
                  Year-end chart position: 23

Release date: December 17, 2010
                  Genre: R&B, Hip hop, Pop
                  Highlights:Lose Control” (feat. Nelly), “Pretty Girl Rock”, “One Night Stand” (feat. Chris Brown)

No Boys Allowed is the second studio album by American recording artist Keri Hilson. It was released on December 17, 2010, by Mosley Music and Zone 4 Records. On the album, Hilson has reunited with Timbaland and Polow da Don, who executively produced the album, as they did with her debut release. Hilson also worked with several other producers and songwriters, including Ne-Yo, John Legend, StarGate, Bei Maejor and Boi-1da, among others. Meanwhile, Chris Brown, Rick Ross, Kanye West, J. Cole, Nelly and Timbaland, are serving as featured guest vocals. Musically, No Boys Allowed is an R&B album, which incorporates elements of pop, soul, electro and dancehall into various songs. Upon its release, the album has received mixed reviews from most music critics, and peaked at number eleven on the US Billboard 200, selling 102,000 copies in its first week. The album's lead single, "Breaking Point" was released in the United States on September 7, 2010 and peaked at number forty-four on the US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart. The second single "Pretty Girl Rock", was released on October 12, 2010, and peaked within the top ten on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart and the top fifteen in New Zealand. Other two singles, "One Night Stand" and "Lose Control (Let Me Down)" were released for radio in March and May 2011, respectively.

Comment

• Definitely an unpopular opinion, but I genuinely think Everything Is Love is a good body of work. I ranked it somewhere in my top 20, higher than The Gift.

I just love the subtle Soul/Gospel influences in songs like "Black Effect", "Lovehappy" & "Summer". Her vocal deliveries in some songs also remind me of the good old days of Dangerously in Love & Destiny Fulfilled.

Comment

• Originally posted by abi View Post
                      Definitely an unpopular opinion, but I genuinely think Everything Is Love is a good body of work. I ranked it somewhere in my top 20, higher than The Gift.
                      I agree, it's 10000000 times better than The Gift. I love Bee the rapper. She needs to record a rap album.
                      Haven't been early since '88

Comment

• Broke with Expensive Taste is lower than I thought it would be. "212" and "Ice Princess" >>>
                        Akini's Top 400 Songs of the Decade: [2-1!]

Comment

• Before moving on to the top 50, let's recap from our #100 to #51.

100. Kanye West The Life of Pablo
                          99. The Weeknd Trilogy
                          98. Jessie Ware Glasshouse
                          96. Melanie Fiona The MF Life
                          96. Jhenť Aiko Trip
                          94. Lizzo Cuz I Love You
                          94. Justin Timberlake The 20/20 Experience - 2 of 2
                          93. Anderson .Paak Malibu
                          92. Jessie J Who You Are
                          91. Nicole Scherzinger Killer Love

90. BANKS The Altar
                          88. Kali Uchis Isolation
                          88. Nicki Minaj Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded
                          86. JAY-Z 4:44
                          86. Bruno Mars Doo-Wops & Hooligans
                          84. Miguel War & Leisure
                          84. Ari Lennox Shea Butter Baby

80. Nicki Minaj Queen
                          80. A Tribe Called Quest We Got It from Here... Thank You 4 Your Service
                          80. James Blake Overgrown
                          80. Tamia Love Life
                          79. Frank Ocean Nostalgia,ULTRA.
                          78. Eminem Recovery
                          77. Usher Looking 4 Myself
                          76. Ariana Grande My Everything
                          75. Kanye West Yeezus
                          74. Solange TRUE
                          71. Chance The Rapper Coloring Book
                          71. BANKS Goddess
                          71. J. Cole 2014 Forest Hills Drive

70. Emeli Sandť Our Version of Events
                          68. Iggy Azalea The New Classic
                          68. M.I.A. Matangi
                          66. BANKS III
                          66. Dawn Richard Goldenheart
                          65. Fergie Double Dutchess
                          63. Ciara Basic Instinct
                          63. Kendrick Lamar & Various Artists Black Panther: The Album
                          61. Beyoncť & Various Artists The Lion King: The Gift
                          61. Tinashe Nightride

60. Chris Brown X
                          59. Monica Still Standing
                          58. Michael Jackson Xscape
                          57. FKA Twigs MAGDALENE
                          54. Azealia Banks Broke With Expensive Taste
                          54. Janelle Monať The ArchAndroid
                          54. Jazmine Sullivan Love Me Back
                          53. The Carters EVERYTHING IS LOVE
                          52. Jhenť Aiko Sail Out
                          51. Keri Hilson No Boys Allowed

Next up, we have an exclusive video premiere from the future of R&B,
                          Chloe x Halle's upcoming album, "Ungodly Hour" coming up in a few minutes.
                          Stay tuned only on UKMIX!

Comment

• /
                            UKMIX_EXCLUSIVE

MUSIC VIDEO_PREMIERE

C H L O E x H A L L E _ " D O I T "
                            from the upcoming album_UNGODLY HOUR_out June 5th

_IN_

Comment

• ThaInfo1
                              ThaInfo1 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              PROMO KAAAAANNNNGGGGG!!!!! #ABINATION
                              Last edited by ThaInfo1; Sat May 16th, 2020, 16:28. Reason: mind your business.

• Jhene Sail Out was my #6 my god what a great EP, phenomenal really.

Love Me Back by Jazmine, bitch yeeeeeeeees!!! My #12

Comment

• All phenomenal albums (that I did not vote for).
                              Originally posted by snoh aalegra

- Ugh, those feels again

Comment

• Bunch of good albums in the recent updates!
                                Chris Brown's X was fire, such an underrated album.
                                Nightride is one of my favorite Tinashe albums, such a mood.
                                Still Standing by Monica is also a great R&B album that I've played for million times probably. Happy to see it higher than I expected.
                                Everything is Love is one of my favorite records, and my favorite Beyonce album, there I said again.
                                Sail Out by Jhene Aiko is also such a moment >3

Comment

Brandy, Two Eleven

Voted by: Loose, LongingHeart, quilmrt, ThaInfo1, dylonj, minime
                                  Year-end chart position: -

Release date: October 12, 2012
                                  Genre: R&B, Soul
                                  Highlights: Wildest Dream”, “Put It Down” (feat. Chris Brown), “Slower”, “Do You Know What You Have

Two Eleven is the sixth studio album by American recording artist Brandy Norwood. Released on October 12, 2012, it served as the singer's debut release with Chameleon Entertainment and RCA Records after departing from Epic Records soon after releasing her previous album, Human (2008). The album's title is taken from Norwood's birthday; it is also the day on which her idol and friend, entertainer Whitney Houston died eight months prior to Two Eleven's release. Two Eleven is the first album from Norwood to include a diverse roster of collaborators including songwriting credits from Frank Ocean, Chris Brown and Sean Garrett. Production comes courtesy of the likes of Bangladesh and Rico Love, amongst others.

The first single, "Put It Down", features Chris Brown and was released from May 2012. It peaked in the top-five of the US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart, becoming Norwood's tenth top ten single on the chart and her first in a decade. "Wildest Dreams" was released as the second and final single in August 2012. Upon its release, the album received critical acclaim, with many complimenting Norwood's vocals, the album's production and the overall direction of the album. Two Eleven debuted at number three on the US Billboard 200 with first week sales of 65,000 copies, becoming Norwood's fourth top ten and her first in eight years. It also debuted on top of on the Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart, her second album to do so.

Comment

Ariana Grande, Dangerous Woman

Voted by: Noahh, Tansike, Michiel, JSparksFan, Goldmoney, Carbon
                                    Year-end chart position: 6

Release date: May 20, 2016
                                    Genre: Pop, R&B
                                    Highlights:Dangerous Woman”, “Let Me Love You” (feat. Lil Wayne), “Side To Side” (feat. Nicki Minaj), “Into You

Dangerous Woman is the third studio album by American singer Ariana Grande, released by Republic Records on May 20, 2016. The album features guest appearances from Nicki Minaj, Lil Wayne, Macy Gray and Future. Dangerous Woman is primarily a pop and R&B record, with influences of dance-pop, disco, house, trap, and reggae genres. Grande, Max Martin, and Savan Kotecha were the album's executive producers. The album was originally called Moonlight after the opening track on the album, with the song "Focus", released as a single in 2015, being the intended lead single. However, the album's name was later changed to Dangerous Woman, with "Focus" being removed from the album's standard track listing.

Dangerous Woman debuted at number two on the Billboard 200 albums chart in the United States, selling 175,000 album-equivalent units in its first week. It was Grande's first album to not hit number-one in the country. However, it became her first number one album in the United Kingdom. It also hit number-one in Australia, Brazil, Italy, Ireland, New Zealand, Spain and Taiwan. In October 2016, Dangerous Woman was certified Platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA). Dangerous Woman's official lead single, "Dangerous Woman", was released on March 11, 2016 and peaked at number eight on the Hot 100. The following singles, "Into You", "Side to Side" and "Everyday", peaked at numbers 13, 4 and 55 on the Hot 100, respectively. Dangerous Woman received positive reviews from critics, appearing on the year-end lists of several publications. It received a Grammy nomination for Best Pop Vocal Album.

Comment

Kelis, Food

Voted by: Loose, heppolo, Erotica, Ivica, LongingHeart, Carbon
                                      Year-end chart position: 8

Release date: April 21, 2014
                                      Genre: R&B, Funk, Memphis soul
                                      Highlights:Rumble”, “Jerk Ribs”, “Hooch”, “Bless The Telephone

Food is the sixth studio album by American singer Kelis. It was released on April 21, 2014, becoming her first album released under Ninja Tune Records. After parting ways with Jive Records in 2007, Kelis signed to Interscope and will.i.am Music Group in 2009, through the label she released her fifth studio album, Flesh Tone, which saw Kelis experiment with a dance sound. In 2011, Kelis began work on the follow-up to Flesh Tone; however, she left Interscope and signed to Federal Prism, before officially signing to the British independent label Ninja Tune for the release of Food. Food is an R&B and soul album with a diverse musical style that incorporates funk, Afrobeat, Memphis soul, and neo soul. Its songs feature crackling horns, brass, earthy guitars, simmering electronics and vocals from Kelis that were noted as being breathy, smoky and sultry.

The album was viewed as a return to Kelis' previous music prior to Flesh Tone, and was described by Kelis as, "a kind of unspoken lovefest". The album was written by Kelis, alongside David Andrew Sitek, and Todd Simon, and was entirely produced by David Andrew Sitek and features guest performances by CSS and Priscilla Ahn. Upon release the album received mostly positive reviews from critics, who commended the album's production, composition and Kelis vocals. Commercially the album fared well making appearances on numerous charts worldwide, the album also entered the UK Albums Chart at number twenty, becoming Kelis's second highest peaking album after Tasty in 2004. The album spawned three singles—"Jerk Ribs", "Rumble", and "Friday Fish Fry"—and was further promoted with a mini-concert.

Comment

Jhenť Aiko, Souled Out

Voted by: LongingHeart, ThaInfo1, DnBLover, Michiel, minime, Carbon
                                        Year-end chart position: 9

Release date: September 9, 2014
                                        Genre: Alt-R&B, Neo soul, Psychedelic music
                                        Highlights:Spotless Mind”, “Lyin King”, “Promises” (feat. Namiko Love, Miyagi), “The Pressure

Souled Out is the debut studio album by American singer Jhenť Aiko. It was released on September 9, 2014, by ArtClub International, ARTium Recordings, and Def Jam Recordings. After leaving Epic Records in 2003, Aiko took a hiatus from her music career and returned in 2011, with the release of her debut mixtape Sailing Soul(s). After raising her profile with the mixtape, Aiko met with record producer No I.D., and subsequently secured a recording contract with his newly found record label imprint, ARTium. Following her record deal, Aiko immediately began working on the album; during the recording process, Aiko released her debut EP Sail Out (2013), to bridge the gap between her mixtape and the album.

Souled Out is an alternative R&B album with a diverse musical style that incorporates psychedelic music, R&B, neo soul, hip hop, and elements of electronica. Its songs are loosely structured and feature electronic guitar sounds, synths, drums and atmospheric noises. A concept album, Souled Out features the evolution of a woman's heartbreak before becoming enlightened, the album features lyrics that revolve around relationships, life lessons, philosophies and truths. Aiko served as the album's executive producer and wrote the album's lyrics; she contracted four key producers to contribute with production and help create a cohesive sound. An anticipated release, Souled Out was released to commercial and critical success. It received generally positive reviews from critics, who commended its production, lyrics and themes and was ranked as one of the best albums of 2014 by several publications.

Comment

• Now this is what I'm talking about - Food, Two Eleven and Souled Out all quality R&B albums <3

Jhenť Aiko - Souled Out, one of my favorite albums of all time, my #1 on this countdown

Brandy Two Eleven was my #11

Kelis Food was my #23

Comment

• #50 BRANDY - TWO ELEVEN
                                            Obviously I have voted for Two Eleven despite of some inconsistencies throughout the album. The mixtape shouldn’t shouldn‘t distract from actual quality gems on there. Wish Your Love Away is whimsical goodness!

#49 ARIANA GRANDE - DANGEROUS WOMAN
                                            Deserves its spot in the Top 50. Sometimes is a cute little highlight for me.

#48 KELIS - FOOD
                                            There goes another Top 5 entry of mine. Food is THE soul record pf the decade without a doubt. I love it. My father loves it. Nuff said.

#47 JHEN… AIKO - SOULED OUT
                                            Well, it’s Jhenť... Chilombo was ******* boring but Sail Out and Souled Out have great moments.
                                            Last edited by Loose; Sun May 17th, 2020, 10:20.
                                            YOU KNOW ME, I JUST DON'T STOP. | My last.fm

Comment

• Love the CxH stanning

Chris Brown used to be one of my favourite artists but I just can't separate the artist from the art. X was a good album that I enjoyed back in the day, so I placed it at #40, but it would have been a lot higher if he wasn't so awful.

I only recently got into FKA Twigs with Magdalene, which is one of my favorite albums of last year. My #37.

I was initially disappointed with Everything In Love considering the themes and context of Lemonade and 4:44, but it turned out to be one of my most played albums of the past couple of years. Another underrated gem from B due to lack of promotion. Apeshit, Black Effect, Lovehappy and Heard About Us are brilliant songs that deserved huge success. My #25.

Some great albums ranked here that missed my list, notably The ArchAndroid and Dangerous Woman.
                                              Last edited by Ska8er; Sun May 17th, 2020, 13:52.
                                              Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

• Originally posted by Loose View Post
                                                #50 BRANDY - TWO ELEVEN
                                                Obviously I have voted for Two Eleven despite of some inconsistencies throughout the album. The mixtape shouldn’t shouldn‘t distract from actual quality gems on there. Wish Your Love Away is whimsical goodness!

#49 ARIANA GRANDE - DANGEROUS WOMAN
                                                Deserves its spot in the Top 50. Sometimes is a cute little highlight for me.

#48 KELIS - FOOD
                                                There goes another Top 5 entry of mine. Food is THE soul record pf the decade without a doubt. I love it. My father loves it. Nuff said.

#47 JHEN… AIKO - SOULED OUT
                                                Well, it’s Jhenť... Chilombo was ******* boring but Sail Out and Souled Out have great moments.
                                                YES! Put some respect on WISH YOUR LOVE AWAY. One of my all time faves.

Comment

• Two Eleven probably has my favourite Brandy song, "No Such Thing as Too Late". "Put It Down" grew on me over the years.

Dangerous Woman is a terrific album! It's probably more pop than anything else, but it's arguably Ari's best LP.
                                                  Akini's Top 400 Songs of the Decade: [2-1!]

Comment

• Ughhhh, I should have voted for Brandy I totally forgot about it.

Comment

Justin Timberlake, The 20/20 Experience

Voted by: mattsky, quilmrt, Leo, abi, Ruthymon, beredy, Michiel, Goldmoney, Ska8er, Loveguru
                                                      Year-end chart position: 2

Release date: March 15, 2013
                                                      Genre: R&B, Neo soul, Pop
                                                      Highlights:Mirrors”, “Strawberry Bubblegum”, “Don’t Hold The Wall”, “Suit & Tie” (feat. JAY Z)

The 20/20 Experience is the third studio album by American singer-songwriter Justin Timberlake. It was released on March 15, 2013, by RCA Records, as the follow-up to his second studio album FutureSex/LoveSounds (2006). It is considered the first half of a two-piece project, later being supplemented by his fourth studio album The 20/20 Experience – 2 of 2 (2013). The album incorporates neo soul styles with elements of older soul music; its lyrics discuss themes of romance and sex. Production is handled by Timbaland, Timberlake and Jerome "J-Roc" Harmon, with Rob Knox contributing to the album's deluxe edition.

The 20/20 Experience received generally positive reviews from critics, many of whom praised its organic sound and hailed it as a significant pop release. The album debuted at number one on the US Billboard 200 with first-week sales of 968,000 copies – the biggest sales week of the year, becoming Timberlake's second number one album on the chart and best-selling debut week of his solo career. The 20/20 Experience became the best-selling album of 2013 in the US, making it the Billboard Year-End number-one album. The album also became Timberlake's third consecutive number-one album in the United Kingdom.

Three singles have been released from The 20/20 Experience. Its lead single, "Suit & Tie", peaked within the top five in several countries worldwide, and reached number three in the US. The album's second single, "Mirrors", reached number one in the UK and two in the US. The album, as part of the compilation The 20/20 Experience – The Complete Experience, was nominated for a Grammy Award in the category Best Pop Vocal Album. "Suit and Tie" and "Pusher Love Girl" won for Best Music Video and Best R&B Song, respectively.

Comment

Kendrick Lamar, good kid, m.A.A.d city

Voted by: mattsky, Mugen, abi, BeeBoy, DnBLover, Jonathan, Ska8er
                                                        Year-end chart position: -

Release date: October 22, 2012
                                                        Genre: West Coast hip hop, Gangsta rap
                                                        Highlights:Bitch Don’t Kill My Vibe”, “Swimming Pools (Drank)”, “Poetic Justice” (feat. Drake), “Money Trees” (feat. Jay Rock)

Good Kid, M.A.A.D City (stylized as good kid, m.A.A.d city) is the second studio album by American rapper Kendrick Lamar. It was released on October 22, 2012, through Top Dawg Entertainment, distributed by Aftermath Entertainment and Interscope Records. The album is Lamar's major label debut, after his independently released first album Section.80 in 2011 and his signing to Aftermath and Interscope the following year.

Good Kid, M.A.A.D City was recorded mostly at several studios in California, with producers such as Dr. Dre, Just Blaze, Pharrell Williams, Hit-Boy, Scoop DeVille, Jack Splash, and T-Minus, among others, contributing to the album. Billed as a "short film by Kendrick Lamar" on the album cover, the concept album follows the story of Lamar's teenage experiences in the drug-infested streets and gang lifestyle of his native Compton. The album received widespread acclaim from critics, who praised its thematic scope and Lamar's lyrics. It earned Lamar four Grammy Award nominations at the 2014 Grammy Awards, including Album of the Year.

Good Kid, M.A.A.D City debuted at number two on the US Billboard 200, selling 242,000 copies in its first week – earning the highest first-week hip hop album sales of 2012 from a male artist, along with the best-selling debut from a male artist of the year. It became Lamar's first album to enter the UK Albums Chart, peaking at number 16, and entering the UK R&B Albums Chart at number two. The album was also named to many end-of-the-year lists, often topping them. It was later certified triple platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) in June 2018. By April 2018, the album had sold 1.7 million copies domestically.

Comment

Chris Brown, F.A.M.E.

Voted by: Erotica, LongingHeart, Thriller, abi, BeeBoy, Goldmoney, Loveguru, Preyoncť
                                                          Year-end chart position: 10

Release date: March 22, 2011
                                                          Genre: R&B, Pop, Hip hop, Europop
                                                          Highlights: Deuces” (feat. Tyga & Kevin McCall), “She Ain’t You”, “All Back”, “Look At Me Now

F.A.M.E. (abbreviated as Forgiving All My Enemies and Fans Are My Everything) is the fourth studio album by American singer Chris Brown. It was first released on March 22, 2011, recorded by Jive Records. The album serves as the follow-up to his third album Graffiti (2009). The songs on F.A.M.E. show a wide variety of musical genres including R&B, pop, hip hop, reggae fusion, electropop and europop. On F.A.M.E., Brown worked with several record producers and songwriters; including Kevin McCall, Jean-Baptiste, Brian Kennedy, DJ Frank E, The Underdogs and The Messengers, among others. The album features guest appearances, from Wiz Khalifa, Game, Timbaland and Big Sean, among others.

F.A.M.E. debuted at number one on the US Billboard 200, with first-week sales of 270,000 copies. It was Brown's first number-one album in the United States and his fourth consecutive top ten album following Graffiti. "Yeah 3x" and "Beautiful People" were commercially successful in Oceania and some European regions. In the United States, "Look at Me Now" reached the number one spot on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs and Hot Rap Songs charts. F.A.M.E. is certified double platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA).

Upon its release, F.A.M.E received mixed reviews from most music critics, who were ambivalent towards its songwriting and material. The album received three Grammy Award nominations at the 54th Grammy Awards, winning Best R&B Album which was Brown's first Grammy Award. It also won Top R&B Album at the 2012 Billboard Music Awards and Album of the Year at the 2011 Soul Train Music Awards.

Comment

FKA Twigs, LP1

Voted by: Loose, Marchum, ThaInfo1, Jonathan, NormiMalone, beredy, Michiel
                                                            Year-end chart position: 17

Release date: August 6, 2014
                                                            Genre: Alt-R&B, Electronic, Trip hop
                                                            Highlights:Two Weeks”, “Pendulum”, “Video Girl”, “Hide

LP1 is the debut studio album by English singer and songwriter FKA Twigs. It was released on 6 August 2014 by Young Turks. Production for the album is handled by FKA Twigs herself, alongside Emile Haynie, Arca, Cy An, Devontť Hynes, Clams Casino, Paul Epworth, Sampha and Tic. The album spawned three singles: "Two Weeks", "Pendulum" and "Video Girl".

LP1 received widespread acclaim from music critics. At Metacritic, which assigns a normalised rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream publications, the album received an average score of 86, based on 38 reviews, indicating "universal acclaim". Miles Raymer of Entertainment Weekly stated, "A singular kind of diva who asserts herself subtly, twigs sings in a near whisper that often threatens to blend in with the instruments behind it. But she exerts enough of a magnetic pull to lure listeners into some challenging territory". Christopher Hooton of The Independent wrote that "while sultry, drug-addled R&B is an increasingly crowded genre, Twigs takes a hammer to the kind that The Weeknd made famous and plays in the rubble." Hooton continued, "FKA Twigs emerges the high priestess of R&B's latest corruption, and the world will kneel at the altar." Kyle Fowle of The A.V. Club commended FKA Twigs for "manag[ing] to craft a cohesive aesthetic that draws on modern R&B and electronic while also remaining inventive".

The album was nominated for the 2014 Mercury Prize and the award for Best Recording Package at the 2015 Grammy Awards. LP1 was also included at number 87 on Pitchfork's list of The 100 Best Albums of the Decade So Far.

Comment

Working...
                                                            X