Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UKMIX Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums of the 2010s (#1 REVEALED + REVISED TOP 100)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think Sweetener is way more pop than R&B, but looks like I still voted for it. My two fave Ari songs are on it, so that's probably why.

UKMix loves "We Found Love" (I don't), but Talk That Talk does sound like it was recorded in three days. RiRi's still my girl, though. <3

Starboy was exquisitely produced. Pink Friday is too low! Unpopular opinion, but I think it's the best hip/hop debut album of all-time.

Wow, y'all really didn't want Nicki to have any part in the top 20. The Pinkprint is terrific.

Justice for Elusive Chanteuse! It shouldn't be so low!

Unapologetic at #21? A whole, entire CHOICE.
    Akini's Top 400 Songs of the Decade: [2-1!]

Comment

• Before moving on to the top 20,
      Let's have some fun and dance to our next performance.

Performing her international breakthrough hit "I Like It",
      with some help from Bad Bunny and J. Balvin,

Ladies and gentleman,
      Cardi B!

Comment

• I am probably the only person here who actually dislikes Cardi B a lot.

#TeamDoja
        YOU KNOW ME, I JUST DON'T STOP. | My last.fm

Comment

• You're not alone. I like her collabos with Bruno, and I Like It was fine, but I couldn't sit through a whole album. She's just too much imho.

Comment

• Originally posted by Loose View Post
            I am probably the only person here who actually dislikes Cardi B a lot.
            I would like to introduce you to Goldmoney

Comment

• Cardi bops.
              Originally posted by snoh aalegra

- Ugh, those feels again

Comment

• Originally posted by ThaInfo1 View Post
                Cardi bops.
                She did in her first profession.

Originally posted by beredy
                When people see your post this is what they see:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

• I'm not into Cardi's music either but most of her TV performances are entertaining!

Comment

Jazmine Sullivan, Reality Show

Voted by: Loose, LongingHeart, Marchum, quilmrt, BeeBoy, TIfan, ThaInfo1, Jonathan, minime, Carbon
                    Year-end chart position: 2

Release date: January 13, 2015
                    Genre: R&B, Soul
                    Highlights:Let It Burn”, “Masterpiece (Mona Lisa)”, “Mascara”, “Forever Don’t Last

Reality Show is the third studio album by American R&B singer Jazmine Sullivan. It was released by RCA Records on January 13, 2015 in the United States. Sullivan recorded the album, her first in five years, during a hiatus from the music industry, writing and working with producers such as Anthony Bell, Salaam Remi, and Key Wane.

Reality Show received widespread acclaim from critics. At Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream publications, it received an average score of 85, based on 9 reviews. Reality Show was ranked number 44 on Pitchfork's list of 2015's best albums, while Rap-Up named it the year's tenth best record. It was also nominated for the 2015 Grammy Award for Best R&B Album, while the song "Let It Burn" received nominations in the categories of Best R&B Song and Best Traditional R&B Performance.

Originally posted by LongingHeart View Post
                    It truly is the best R&B Album of the last ... idk how many years. What I would give to see her live (but I would feel sorry for the people around me)
                    Originally posted by TIfan View Post
                    This album is still fresh to me. Her songwriting skills are too much. I wish artist took music as serious as she did. Especially urban artist. She never goes around saying the word "art" as well. Brand New is story telling at its peak. Its like a novel. Veins reminds me of "Fatal Attraction" or "Gone Girl." Just an obsessed woman who will not give her man up.

Jazmine is the Queen of R&B. Hands down.

Comment

Janet Jackson, Unbreakable

Voted by: Erotica, Ivica, RayRay, Marchum, quilmrt, Leo, TIfan, bm08, NormiMalone, minime, Goldmoney, Carbon
                      Year-end chart position: 3

Release date: October 2 2015
                      Genre: R&B, Dance-pop, Pop
                      Highlights:No Sleeep” (feat. J. Cole), “BURNITUP!” (feat. Missy Elliott), “Damn Baby”, “Unbreakable

Unbreakable is the eleventh studio album by American recording artist Janet Jackson. It was released on October 2, 2015, and is the first album released under her independent label Rhythm Nation, distributed by BMG Rights Management through a partnership with the singer.

Jackson reunited with songwriting/production duo Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, their last collaboration being on her ninth studio album 20 Y.O. (2006). Additional songwriting and production was provided by Dem Jointz, Tommy McClendon and Thomas Lumpkins. Featured artists include rappers J. Cole and Missy Elliott. Unbreakable's theme reflects various experiences over the course of Jackson's life—including aspects of her childhood and the death of her brother Michael—in addition to socially conscious messages prevalent in her 1989 album Rhythm Nation 1814.

The album debuted at number one on the Billboard 200, becoming Jackson's seventh album to top the chart in the United States. This made her the third act in the history of the chart to have a number one album in each of the last four decades. Its lead single "No Sleeep" became her 40th entry on the US Billboard Hot 100 singles chart, peaking at number 63.

Originally posted by NormiMalone View Post
                      I love this one, 2nd only behind Damita Jo of Jan's '00s output. There were four things I desired from this album: reunite with Jam & Lewis, don't pitch the album to the kids, try something new, and no interludes please. Well, 3 out of four ain't bad, but Unbreakable's interludes are so few, so brief and so deftly woven into their tracks that they're not the slightest bit intrusive. Even though they are present, it still feels like a win. She flexed a folk side I'd not have expected from her and she was able to contemporize her sound without it feeling like she's trying to get on a Z100 playlist. I had started to worry a little after the back-to-back meh-ness of 20 y.o. and Discipline, but U made me feel like she's got plenty creative juices flowing. Looking forward to what is coming next
                      Originally posted by Pawlu84 View Post
                      This album sits nicely with her big 4 some songs reminded me of the janet./The Velvet Rope era.

Comment

• I‘ve never paid attention to this Janet album. Is it any good?

Reality Show by Jazmine Sullivan certainly is! Coz I voted for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post
                          I applaud you in silence in order to not offend anybody.

Comment

• I totally forgot to vote for Janet ugh... It is such a great album and definitely among her best.
                            no Sleeep >>>>>>

And now.... Reality Show... My god, this really is one of my favorite albums of all time. Every song slapppps.
                            My #2

Comment

• Originally posted by LongingHeart View Post
                              I totally forgot to vote for Janet ugh... It is such a great album and definitely among her best.
                              no Sleeep >>>>>>

And now.... Reality Show... My god, this really is one of my favorite albums of all time. Every song slapppps.
                              My #2
                              Agreed! My #2 as well!

Comment

• Unbreakable is a good album. The single choices were all fire.
                                Akini's Top 400 Songs of the Decade: [2-1!]

Comment

• Damn.. She was #1 for me.

Thank you for quoting me abi
                                  Diva!!!

Comment

• The Pinkprint is probably Nicki's best work, although I placed Pink Friday as it has shown more longevity for me personally. My #24.

Me. I Am Mariah… The Elusive Chanteuse and Unapologetic are way too high. I actually find the latter to be by far Rihanna's weakest album this decade.

I have to admit that I've never listened to Private Show fully before abi's mini game and I'm loving it.

Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post
                                      And she’s doing it now so what’s your point?

- Ugh, those feels again

Comment

• Reality Show is R&B gold. Top 5 album for me.

Unbreakable was a great addition to her already stellar discography.

- Ugh, those feels again

Comment

• Aweeee two great albums in a row! Wish they both did better on this countdown.

Comment

• Veins is such a tune!! I‘m so into the drama.

Currently revising REALITY SHOW. Hawt!!

Comment

• Jazmine is literally the best intimate concert I've ever been to. Whenver she decides to tour, and if you stan, you must see her. Wow.

- Ugh, those feels again

Comment

Kendrick Lamar, To Pimp A Butterfly

Voted by: mattsky, Mugen, Noahh, BeeBoy, Rihab, Tansike, DnBLover, bm08, Jonathan, Michiel, Goldmoney, Ska8er, Loveguru
                                                Year-end chart position: 6

Release date: March 15, 2015
                                                Genre: Conscious hip-hop, Jazz rap, Experimental hip-hop, G-Funk
                                                Highlights: King Kunta”, “i”, “These Walls” (feat. Bilal, Anna Wise, Thundecat), “Alright

To Pimp a Butterfly is the third studio album by American rapper Kendrick Lamar. It was released on March 15, 2015, by Top Dawg Entertainment, distributed by Aftermath Entertainment and Interscope Records. The music of To Pimp a Butterfly incorporates a variety of styles from traditional African-American music, including jazz, funk, soul, spoken word, and the avant-garde. Lyrically, it features political commentary and personal themes concerning African-American culture, racial inequality, depression, and institutional discrimination.

To Pimp a Butterfly sold 324,000 copies in its first week of release, earning a chart debut at number one on the US Billboard 200, while also becoming Lamar's first number-one album in the UK. The album also received widespread acclaim from critics, who praised its musical scope and the social relevance of Lamar's lyrics. It earned Lamar 11 nominations at the 2016 Grammy Awards, which was the most nominations for any rapper in a single night, including wins for Grammy Award for Best Rap Album and an Album of the Year nomination. The most acclaimed album of 2015, it topped the The Village Voice's annual Pazz & Jop poll of American critics nationwide, and was also ranked as the best album of 2015 by many other publications. In the years following its release, several publications have named it one of the best albums of the 2010s decade.

Originally posted by truthless View Post
                                                The album is just out of this world... Deserves all the positive reaction it is receiving right now. I realize how well constructed this album is. Each song complements the next song. It tells an amazing story throughout the whole album. How the industry wants an artist to be someone else and commercial. Well how the industry pimps a butterfly... The toughness, the cultural discussion through the album (Races etc..). The clever lyrics. So good. I love it. The whole production is so good.
                                                Originally posted by NothingFails View Post
                                                Oh ish... I can't believe what I've been missing!! I mostly turned off hip hop because of the gangsta stuff that took over the genre in the 90s that really put me off along with some of the rampant homophobic lyrics especially by a certain Mr. Mathers. But wow, this is amazing and really is the album that I've wanted to hear from hip hop to finally give me something that I like in the genre.

Comment

Ariana Grande, thank u, next

Voted by: Loose, mattsky, RayRay, Marchum, Noahh, Rihab, Tansike, DnBLover, bm08, beredy, JSparksFan, Goldmoney, Loveguru
                                                  Year-end chart position: 1

Release date: February 8, 2019
                                                  Genre: R&B, Pop, Trap
                                                  Highlights: 7 rings”, “thank u, next”, “break up with your girlfriend, i’m bored”, “imagine

Thank U, Next (stylized in all lowercase) is the fifth studio album by American singer Ariana Grande, released on February 8, 2019, by Republic Records. It was released six months after her fourth studio album Sweetener (2018), created in the midst of Grande's personal struggles, including the death of ex-boyfriend Mac Miller and her separation from then-fiancé Pete Davidson. Grande began working on the album in October 2018, enlisting writers and producers such as Tommy Brown, Max Martin, Ilya Salmanzadeh and Andrew "Pop" Wansel. Thank U, Next is primarily a pop album, incorporating R&B and trap.

Thank U, Next was preceded by two singles, the title track and "7 Rings", both debuting atop the Billboard Hot 100 chart, becoming Grande's first and second number one single in the US, respectively. "Break Up with Your Girlfriend, I'm Bored" became the third single on the day of the album release, peaking at number two on the Hot 100. The album peaked at the top spot in many countries, including Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom and the United States. Globally, it was the eighth best-selling album of 2019 and fourth best-selling album by a female artist; as of March 2020, Thank U, Next has sold over 1 million copies worldwide.

Originally posted by Tansike View Post
                                                  Anyways, even though I enjoy this album, I have to say it made the smallest impact on me from all of her albums. I hope the next release will be stronger again.
                                                  Originally posted by ThaInfo1 View Post
                                                  Happy Birthday to a fire ass album...and her best tbh. Ponytrap was officially invented here

Comment

• I feel like To Pimp A Butterfly to Kendrick is what Lemonade is to Beyonce. It's not a bad album at all but I just feel like it's a little too heavy on content for my liking. I like some of the songs but the album as a whole is not something that I would listen to regularly.

thank u, next is extremely mediocre to me. Also that album cover is ugly as heck. Looks like somebody just found a photo of her on the street, took a picture of it with their phone and put it on Insta. Also, I went through the album thread's pages to find some of y'all comments and most of them are quite average so it's quite surprising it ended up this high.

Comment

• Two absolutely amazing albums.
                                                      Haven't been early since '88

Comment

• Ariana - u did THAT! This is - hands down - your best album (minus the title track which would have fitted better on Sweetener).

NASA - GOLD! (And great relationship advice)
                                                        bloodline - THAT BISH aka best track on the album
                                                        fake smile - STUUUNNINN
                                                        ghostin‘ - UHMAZING - this is a mood
                                                        in my head - psychedelic greatness
                                                        7 rings - is also THAT BISH

And the others I haven‘t mentioned are good as well.

Comment

• ThaInfo1
                                                          ThaInfo1 commented
                                                          Editing a comment
                                                          TASTE!

• To Pimp a Butterfly deserved to be in the Top 10. I agree that it's quite a heavy record in terms of context, and I don't listen to it as often as others in this countdown, but it's by far one of the best albums of the decade. It's message was as important back then as it is right now, if not even more considering the recent events in the U.S. My #8.

thank u, next really had a short shelf life for me. I think it massively benefited from the artist's popularity more than the actual quality of the record, but I'm glad it gave Ariana a couple #1's.

Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

• Elusive Chanteuse was a great album from Mariah, just what she does best.
                                                          THRILLER’S SOUNDS OF THE 90s

Comment

Working...
                                                          X