Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UKMIX Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums of the 2010s (#1 REVEALED + REVISED TOP 100)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Pimp a Butterfly deserved to be much higher in my opinion. My #2.
    "I see it, I like it, I want it... I GOT IT."

Comment

• Thank U, Next is a really cohesive album. I think all of her other LPs have one or more clunkers, but TUN is a bump-free ride.
      Akini's Top 400 Songs of the Decade: [2-1!]

Comment

• If I remember correctly I think one of Kendrick's albums stayed in the top 10 for quite a while but then it got pushed down towards the end, forgot which one though.
        Last edited by abi; Wed June 3rd, 2020, 08:00.

Comment

Bruno Mars, 24K Magic

Voted by: Mugen, Leo, abi, cheapthrills, Rihab, TIfan, ThaInfo1, Tansike, bm08, Michiel, JSparksFan, Goldmoney, Preyoncé
          Year-end chart position: 8

Release date: November 18, 2016
          Genre: R&B, Soul, Funk, New jack swing
          Highlights:24K Magic”, “Versace On The Floor”, “Finesse” (feat. Cardi B), “That’s What I Like

24K Magic (stylized as XXIVK Magic) is the third studio album recorded by American singer and songwriter Bruno Mars and released by Atlantic Records on November 18, 2016. Mars reunited with Philip Lawrence and Christopher Brody Brown, who composed the album under their joint alias Shampoo Press & Curl. Mars enlisted new composers including The Stereotypes and James Fauntleroy. Several critics said 24K Magic was crafted from elements of R&B, soul, funk, pop and new jack swing. Mars was inspired to create an album on which he could capture the sound of 1990s R&B, that he listened and danced to during his childhood. He wanted to make people dance and have the same enjoyment he had.

Critical responses to 24K Magic were generally favorable; many reviewers noticed the change of style, focusing on contemporary R&B and the improvement on the production. At the 2018 Grammy Awards 24K Magic won seven Grammy Awards, including Album of the Year and Best R&B Album, whilst the title track won Record of the Year and "That's What I Like" won Song of The Year at the same ceremony. Several publications listed the album as one of the best records of the year and The Associated Press named it as the tenth-best album of the 2010s.

Originally posted by topopMAC1 View Post
          I'm VERY happy for Bruno. He found his niche with "24K Magic". This album was completely different to his first two. He bought back that 90s R&B sound that I've missed but put his own twist on it. I was excited to hear something different to the tropical pop and trap beats that seem to fill all radio playlists at the moment. The album is all killer, no filler and he's an incredible performer. I'm glad the album was recognised! One of my favourite albums of recent times.
          Originally posted by GetBack View Post
          By far, the best R&B album of the year. He really brought back what's missing in R&B these days, it really takes you back to the eighties and nineties R&B/soul nostalgia with all the songs that can be sang along to. It's such a feel good album. The nine songs are so well-worth it.

Comment

Rihanna, LOUD

Voted by: Erotica, Ivica, Leo, Thriller, cheapthrills, Rihab, Tansike, JSparksFan, minime, Goldmoney, Ska8er, Preyoncé
            Year-end chart position: 6

Release date: November 12, 2010
            Genre: Pop, Electropop, Reggae, R&B
            Highlights:Man Down”, “What’s My Name?” (feat. Drake), “Skin”, “Only Girl (In The World)

Loud is the fifth studio album by Barbadian singer Rihanna. It was released on November 12, 2010, by Def Jam Recordings and SRP Records. Rihanna and L.A. Reid were the executive producers of Loud and worked with various record producers, including Stargate, Sandy Vee, The Runners, Tricky Stewart and Alex da Kid. The album features several guest vocalists, including rappers Drake, Nicki Minaj and Eminem. Loud features up-tempo and pop genres, ranging from R&B and dance-pop to electro music, and marks the return to dancehall; a genre prominent on Rihanna's first two albums Music of the Sun (2005) and A Girl like Me (2006). Additionally, it incorporates rock in "California King Bed" and reggae in the Caribbean-inspired "Man Down".

Loud received generally positive reviews from music critics, who complimented its upbeat material and Rihanna's vocal performances, while others stated that although the songs were solid, they were unfocused to each other. The album was a commercial success; it debuted at number three on the US Billboard 200 chart, with sales of 207,000 copies, the highest first-week sales of her career at the time. The album peaked at number one on the Canadian, Swiss and the UK album charts. Since its release, it has sold over 8 million copies worldwide.

Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
            I remember watching the "Man Down" video for the first time, and being in awe of it all. The song should've been a #1 hit. A fantastic era, with three huge #1 hits, fantastic visuals, memorable live performances (of "What's My Name?" in particular), big radio spins, and an iconic hairstyle that most people initially mocked until the cool factor inevitable oozed in and all the girls started rocking red hair.
            Originally posted by SG1401 View Post
            Love this album while it's probably her most commercial work to date I think. I still think Skin is the best song she's recorded ever! That song is just pure fire!

Comment

• LOUD is Pop as heck y'all! But then again I also sneaked in a couple of Pop albums so let me just shut up. Probably one my least favorite records from Rih. Also, might be an unpopular opinion but I actually really like "Fading" and "Raining Men".

24K Magic is such a great effort from Bruno. Every single song slaps (except for "Perm" - I don't like that one). And that BBMA's performance of "Versace On The Floor" remains one of the highlights of his career in my opinion. I'm curious what he's gonna do with his next album. Still don't think it deserved all its Grammy wins though.

Comment

• 2 generic mainstream albums. Both too high. And also not that R&B. Especially Loud.
                I have received many gifts from God,
                but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

• Ladies and gentleman,
                  Up next we have a special performance
                  by one of the most well-known female figures in Hip-Hop

Joined by O.T. Gensis, Musiq Soulchild and Junior M.A.F.I.A,
                  Please welcome to the stage,
                  Lil Kim!

Comment

• Marchum
                    Marchum commented
                    Editing a comment
                    KWEEN.

• Originally posted by beredy View Post
                  2 generic mainstream albums. Both too high. And also not that R&B. Especially Loud.
                  24K Magic is R&B from start to finish though in my opinion.

Comment

• Let me try and catch up: Reality Show is amazing and i recommend checking it out if you haven't definitely deserves its place in the Top 20. Unbreakable is definitely on of the better albums from Janet imo. Pimp A Butterfly is amazing and I appreciate it for its message and lyrics but it didn't quite get me as his other albums. Still it probably would've deserved a Top 10. TUN is a good album but still not really fitting in here imo and I wouldn't say it's in the Top20 of the decade.
                    24K is not half as good as Unorthodox Jukebox imo. Especially the title track is bad. LOUD, omg this album aged like milk. Especially OG, S&M, Fading, Raining Men Man Down is Rihanna's best single imo and I love Skin and What's my name though. But this album shouldn't be near Top15 on an Urban/R&B album countdown imo Let me wait for her real deal that's yet to come on here
                    aRat's NUDES LEAKED

Comment

• Loud is a pop album. That’s why I did not vote for it.
                      Last edited by mattsky; Wed June 3rd, 2020, 17:44.
                      Haven't been early since '88

Comment

• Originally posted by abi View Post

24K Magic is R&B from start to finish though in my opinion.
                        To me it's more funk/pop with a bit of soul thrown in with tangential R&B influences.

But I'm more disappointed by how high it is. It's true mainstream fodder album, not inventive, experimental or imaginative. It belongs in the 75-100 position TBH.
                        I have received many gifts from God,
                        but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

• I really dislike the 24K Magic era. The cultural appropriation and the obnoxious attitude made Bruno insufferable.

LOUD is my 2nd favourite Rihanna record. In retrospect I agree with people saying it's more Pop-leaning and maybe I shouldn't have included it. My #13.
                          Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ska8er View Post
                            I really dislike the 24K Magic era. The cultural appropriation and the obnoxious attitude made Bruno insufferable.

LOUD is my 2nd favourite Rihanna record. In retrospect I agree with people saying it's more Pop-leaning and maybe I shouldn't have included it. My #13.
                            Is it bad that I liked it. Bruno appropriates well imo

Loud is pretty much GGGB part 2. Her pop bop album.

This is K?mix I'm not surprised at this positions at all lol. This whole top 10 is about to be Bey/Rih. I also may be part of that problem.
                            Originally posted by snoh aalegra

- Ugh, those feels again

Comment

• I think there's only Anti left from Rihanna? But yeah this is UKMix so I'm expecting Beyoncè, Mariah and Rihanna in the Top 5.
                              Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

• Bruno genuinely appreciates & gives credits. That's what set him apart from the other 'appropriators' in my opinion. Also that's the kind of music he grew up listening to so it's natural for him to do it.

And yes, some of the albums in the top 10 are very predictable but we still have a couple of surprises as well. Well at least for me, I was really shocked to see some of these albums ended up in the top 10.

Comment

• Well the fact that he won the AOTY for an urban album whereas black artists get constantly snubbed was annoying, especially when 24K Magic was chosen above greater work from said black artists that year (DAMN. and 4:44).

The whole era was annoying to me as soon as the completely void of substance and Uptown Funk-wannabe 24K Magic dropped, but peaked around that time. I'm not saying that it's not a good record, I did in fact enjoy a couple of the singles, but I couldn't (and still can't) get past the overblown acclaim when other artists from that genre have done it better and didn't have the same level of success.
                                  Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

• Shit on Loud all you want, but it does contain two of her biggest anthems ever in the chocolate community that I still hear regularly today (WMN? and MD).
                                    Originally posted by beredy
                                    When people see your post this is what they see:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ska8er View Post
                                      Well the fact that he won the AOTY for an urban album whereas black artists get constantly snubbed was annoying, especially when 24K Magic was chosen above greater work from said black artists that year (DAMN. and 4:44).
                                      Well yeah that's the GRAMMY's for you. They always pick winning albums that sound 'safe' & 'accessible' (remember when Pharrell won over Self-titled with "Happy" and its 10 other copycats? Yikes).

I was also shocked when they picked him to sweep all the major categories. The album's Metacritic score wasn't even that great either.

Comment

• I didn’t even consider listing LOUD as a potential best record but okurrrr...
                                        YOU KNOW ME, I JUST DON'T STOP. | My last.fm

Comment

• Loud was my #2 and 24K Magic my #11. Both are fantastic albums. Loud was arguably Rihanna's most successful era of her career and so much from that era felt iconic. 24K Magic is just another great album from Bruno without any filler.
                                          Akini's Top 400 Songs of the Decade: [2-1!]

Comment

Kendrick Lamar, DAMN.

Voted by: mattsky, Mugen, Leo, Noahh, abi, BeeBoy, cheapthrills, Rihab, ThaInfo1, Tansike, bm08, Jonathan, Ska8er, Loveguru
                                            Year-end chart position: 2

Release date: April 14, 2017
                                            Genre: Hip-hop
                                            Highlights:HUMBLE.”, “LOYALTY.” (feat. Rihanna), “LOVE.” (feat. Zachari), “DNA.

Damn (stylized as DAMN.) is the fourth studio album by American rapper Kendrick Lamar. It was released on April 14, 2017, through Top Dawg Entertainment, distributed by Aftermath Entertainment and Interscope Records. The album features production from a variety of record producers, including executive producer and Top Dawg Entertainment label-head Anthony "Top Dawg" Tiffith, Sounwave, DJ Dahi, Mike Will Made It, and Ricci Riera; as well as further production contributions from James Blake, Steve Lacy, BadBadNotGood, Greg Kurstin, The Alchemist, and 9th Wonder, among others.

Damn received widespread critical acclaim and topped the US Billboard 200 with 603,000 album-equivalent units earned in its first week. Damn topped The Village Voice's Pazz & Jop critics poll and was named the best album of 2017 by several other publications. It became the first non-jazz or classical work to earn the 2018 Pulitzer Prize for Music and won Best Rap Album at the 2018 Grammy Awards, as well receiving a nomination for Album of the Year at the ceremony. The album's singles also received Grammy Awards: "Humble" won Best Rap Performance, Best Rap Song and Best Music Video while "Loyalty" won Best Rap/Sung Performance.

Originally posted by RaFanatic View Post
                                            Iit's damn perfect. Not a single track i would skip. There are some songs i couldn't ever imagine Kendrick recording, Love for example. But somehow it sounds so good. Need a couple of plays more to really see my faves, but Loyalty, Humble, Pride and Feel are most remorable for me.
                                            Originally posted by Hermes View Post
                                            Album of the year so far, Idc. Also, Element is the best song ever. Bye.

Comment

Drake, Take Care

Voted by: Mugen, Marchum, Thriller, Noahh, cheapthrills, TIfan, ThaInfo1, bm08, JSparksFan, Goldmoney, Ska8er, Loveguru, Preyoncé
                                              Year-end chart position: 5

Release date: November 15, 2011
                                              Genre: Hip-hop, Alt-R&B, Pop
                                              Highlights:Take Care” (feat. Rihanna), “Marvins Room”, “The Motto” (feat. Lil Wayne & Tyga), “Headlines

Take Care is the second studio album by Canadian rapper Drake. It was released on November 15, 2011, by Young Money Entertainment, Cash Money Records and Republic Records. Prior to Take Care, Drake released Thank Me Later, which experienced positive critical success, but left him feeling disjointed about the album's musical content. Expressing a desire to reunite with 40, his long-time producer who featured in parts on Thank Me Later, the duo worked extensively on the new album once recording sessions began in 2010. Drake's vocals on the album feature emotional crooning, alto vocals, a guttural cadence, a melodic flow, and a larger emphasis on singing than on Thank Me Later.

The album also expands on the low-tempo, sensuous, and dark sonic aesthetic of Thank Me Later. It incorporates several elements that have come to define Drake's sound, including minimalist R&B influences, existential subject matter, and alternately sung and rapped vocals. It features a mixture of braggadocio and emotional lyrics, exploring themes of fame, romance, and wealth. Despite leaking online nine days before its scheduled release, Take Care debuted at number one on the Billboard 200, selling 631,000 copies in its first week. The album received positive reviews, with praise for its expansive production and emotional themes. It was named one of 2011's best albums, and later one of the best albums of the 2010s, by several publications.

Originally posted by Preyoncé View Post
                                              For me, this album is a hip hop masterpiece. Every single was good and the album is filled with hits too. Drake has yet to top this album for me. His debut made a name for himself but this album is his best thus far.
                                              Originally posted by Loveguru View Post
                                              over time this is slowly becoming his best album.. well most cohesive

Comment

• DAMN. not top 10? Take Care higher?

It became the first non-jazz or classical work to earn the 2018 Pulitzer Prize for Music and won Best Rap Album at the 2018 Grammy Awards
                                                aRat's NUDES LEAKED

Comment

• How did Kendrick miss the Top 10 completely? I expected DAMN to at least make it because of the Rih collab. The album didn't hold up as much as his previous two records for me, but I still revisit it sometimes. My #12.

Take Care's placement is deserved. A great record that propelled both Drake and The Weeknd into the mainstream. It's a shame that Drake's artistry has been replaced by a desperation for hits. My #11.
                                                  Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

• Wow Kendrick did not make the top 10. I’m speechless
                                                    Haven't been early since '88

Comment

• Originally posted by BeeBoy View Post
                                                      DAMN. not top 10?
                                                      Originally posted by Ska8er View Post
                                                      How did Kendrick miss the Top 10 completely?
                                                      Originally posted by mattsky View Post
                                                      Wow Kendrick did not make the top 10. I’m speechless
                                                      Many Hip-Hop fans have disappeared/become non-active over the last few months/years (truthless, RaFanatic, Hermes, Plym, etc. + DnBLover surprisingly not putting this in his votes).

Comment

• Beyoncé about to have three albums in the top 5
                                                        5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

• Originally posted by BeeBoy View Post
                                                          DAMN. not top 10? Take Care higher?

As it should be

Love Take Care. Moody light skinned boy excellence.
                                                          Originally posted by snoh aalegra

- Ugh, those feels again

Comment

Working...
                                                          X