Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UKMIX Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums of the 2010s (#1 REVEALED + REVISED TOP 100)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DAMN is really not the best Kendrick Lamar album. It's his mainstream breakthrough, but far from his two previous masterpieces imo. I probably should have included it though, definitely worth being Top 50, but I believe I ranked Kendrick's first two very high, so I guess I tried putting in more diversity.

Will try to have a look at the entire list later
    I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
    I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Comment

• Take Care was Drake when he was actually really good and fresh, and his songs had a melody.

LOUD may be mostly pop but it’s a cracker.

Comment

• Oh, the last four are all ones I voted for. Sorry I'm so basic, you all

Just love all of those albums so much though. I wish we could have 2011 Drake back.

Comment

• Originally posted by KEY9481 View Post
          Beyoncé about to have three albums in the top 5
          Which I‘m already gutted about.
          YOU KNOW ME, I JUST DON'T STOP. | My last.fm

Comment

• I'm not a big Damn fan. Take Care is probably Drake's best.
            Akini's Top 100 Albums of the Decade: [Starting soon]

Comment

• Where‘s Doja in this countdown?

Comment

• Originally posted by Loose View Post
                Where‘s Doja in this countdown?
                Didn't make it. I have her album at #122. Should I do bubbling under?

Comment

• Originally posted by abi View Post

Damn, she‘s such a contender!

I guess #122 is fine for her as I surely was the only one who voted for her.

yes, please do!

Comment

• I hope Khia made our top 10!
                    Haven't been early since '88

Comment

• Originally posted by mattsky View Post
                      I hope Khia made our top 10!
                      Has she released anything since My Neck My Back?
                      I have received many gifts from God,
                      but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

Tinashe, Aquarius

Voted by: Loose, Ivica, LongingHeart, Marchum, Noahh, abi, BeeBoy, Rihab, ThaInfo1, DnBLover, Michiel, minime, Ska8er, Loveguru, Preyoncé
                        Year-end chart position: 2

Release date: October 3, 2014
                        Genre: R&B, Alt-R&B, Pop, Hip-hop
                        Highlights:2 On” (feat. SchoolBoy Q), “How Many Times” (feat. Future), “Aquarius”, “All Hands On Deck

Aquarius is the debut studio album by American singer Tinashe. It was released on October 3, 2014, by RCA Records. In 2011, after the disbandment of the girl group The Stunners, Tinashe announced that she would begin pursuing a solo career. The following year she released her debut mixtape In Case We Die. After raising her profile with the mixtape, Tinashe met with RCA Records where she subsequently signed a recording contract. Following her signing a record deal, Tinashe immediately began working on the album. During the recording process for the debut album, she released two other mixtapes, Reverie (2012) and Black Water (2013).

Aquarius was titled after Tinashe's zodiac sign. The album incorporates several genres including R&B, alternative R&B, and pop. The album's production was characterized as being synthetic, with atmospherics and minimalist beats and electronics. The album's composition drew comparisons to a variety of artists including The Weeknd and Aaliyah. Most of the songs were written by Tinashe herself, who also served as the album's executive producer alongside Mike Nazzaro. Upon its release, Aquarius received generally positive reviews from music critics, who commended its production, lyrics, and themes, with reviewers comparing it to the work of Janet Jackson.

Originally posted by IVyoncé View Post
                        Still a flawless debut tbh
                        Originally posted by Gravity View Post
                        Excellent album, I love every song which is something that doesn't happn too often. Bet, Pretend, All Hands On Deck, Thug Cry and Watch Me Work are my favorites.
                        Originally posted by LongingHeart View Post
                        One of the best debut albums ever.

Comment

SZA, CTRL

Voted by: heppolo, UndercoverSista, Mugen, LongingHeart, Noahh, BeeBoy, cheapthrills, ThaInfo1, DnBLover, NormiMalone, dylonj, Carbon, Ska8er, Loveguru
                          Year-end chart position: 1

Release date: June 9, 2017
                          Genre: Alt-R&B, Neo soul, R&B
                          Highlights:The Weekend”, “Love Galore” (feat. Travis Scott), “Doves In The Wind” (feat. Kendrick Lamar), “Drew Barrymore

Ctrl (pronounced "control") is the debut studio album by American singer SZA. It was released on June 9, 2017, on Top Dawg Entertainment and RCA Records. Originally scheduled for release in late 2015, it was delayed by SZA's experience of "a kind of blinding paralysis brought on by anxiety." She worked and reworked the album until the record company took away her hard drive in the spring of 2017. SZA wrote most of the album's lyrics and collaborated with producers including Craig Balmoris, Frank Dukes, Carter Lang, Scum and ThankGod4Cody to achieve its sound. The efforts resulted in a primarily neo-soul and R&B album, with elements of hip-hop, electronic, indie and soul. Lyrically the album has a confessional theme, which touch upon SZA's personal experiences and complexities of modern love; including desire, competition, jealousy, sexual politics, social media, and low self-esteem.

The album was released to acclaim from music critics. It debuted at number three on the US Billboard 200, moving 60,000 equivalent-album units in its first full-tracking week. It generated the singles "Drew Barrymore", "Love Galore", "The Weekend", and "Broken Clocks". As of March 2018, the album has been certified platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America for accumulating over 1,000,000 in album-equivalent units and pure sales.The album and its songs were nominated for four Grammy Awards, while SZA was nominated for Best New Artist.

Originally posted by ThaInfo1 View Post
                          Honestly I can't even with how magical this album is to me. I can honestly see it going down as one of my all time favorite albums. I haven't related to an album like this in forever.
                          Originally posted by DnBLover View Post
                          Fck... I just got hooked on this album. Broken Clocks damn
                          Originally posted by naughtynae View Post
                          I listen to this everyday. I think I'm gonna have to take a step back before I ruin it for myself. It's just SO good!

Comment

• I need to revisit Aquarius. I always thought Ctrl was overrated. "Pretty Little Birds" and "The Weekend" are everything to me, though.
                            Akini's Top 100 Albums of the Decade: [Starting soon]

Comment

• There you go, two of y'all faves Emo-R&B girls.

Aquarius was an album! I feel like it was slightly overrated by the fans but I'm not gonna deny that it is really a great record. Had they picked better single choices, the album could've been bigger. "How Many Times" still slaps to this day, I still have no idea what Future is saying on the track but honestly, it's better than literally any of his other actual verses. Also, unpopular opinion but I actually think "Pretend" is a cute track, it was just a wrong choice for the second single.

I like some songs from CTRL but I'm not really into the whole album as a full body of work. "Love Galore" remains her best song ever, "The Weekend" is perfect for me to play when you can't sleep in the middle of the night, and I love the video for "Doves In The Wind".

Comment

• Aquarius was in 2014? - jeez, it feels like it was ages ago - like last decade.

Love the SZA album but I'm surprised it ended up so high.

Comment

• Our next performer has gained recognition over the past few years
                                  with her stage charisma and killer live performances

Performing "Pretend" and the smash hit "2 On",
                                  Right after celebrating her second entry on the countdown,
                                  Ladies and gentleman, Tinashe!

Comment

• Take Care is great - I voted for Nothing Was The Same tho, my favorite Drake album

SZA and Nashe......absolute claaaasiiccccsssssss

CTRL was my #8
                                    Aquarius my #9

Comment

• AQUARIUS WAS MY #1!!!!!

So happy it made the cut. It is seriously the kind of R&B album that serves you DIVERSITY! There’s everything for everyone. The bops, the ballads, the vibes .. so so good!!

Comment

• ThaInfo1
                                        ThaInfo1 commented
                                        Editing a comment
                                        Again, sis...the taste continues to JUMP out.

• OK so TOP 10 includes:
                                      - Mariah - Caution
                                      - Beyonce - Beyonce
                                      - Beyonce - Lemonade
                                      - Beyonce - 4
                                      - Rihanna - ANTI
                                      - Frank Ocean - Channel Orange
                                      What else? Any other guesses?

Would definitely love to see a Bubbling Under list once this over - or the complete submissions!

I really want people to listen to my #1 which surely isn't in the top 10 - I think folks would be really into it.

Comment

• CTRL was my #1. the quote Abi quoted from me is right. This albums is one of my favorite albums of all time. Never had an albums I've felt so seen, yet love the whole vibe, production, lyrics, the hoe-ism, vulnerability. Wow Solana. Legendary shit. I've replayed this album so much.

Aquarius was my #13. A great debut and the most SICKENING 1-2-3 combo start of an album I've ever heard. Used to be my fav from her, but then she from dropped Nightride...then Songs From You.

Originally posted by snoh aalegra

- Ugh, those feels again

Comment

• Originally posted by beredy View Post
                                          7 albums and 3 mixtapes
                                          Haven't been early since '88

Comment

• SZA released a gem
                                            Forever Young

Comment

• Originally posted by abi View Post

| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney | Tamia |

Comment

• Originally posted by beredy View Post
                                                Glad to know that was a thing in your hole.
                                                Originally posted by beredy
                                                When people see your post this is what they see:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

• CTRL is such a great album, definitely took a while to grow on me and I’m still not into every song, but overall it’s a stunning album.
                                                  last.fm

Comment

• Pheww I'm finally back in after several failed login attempts. Gonna do a recap from #50 to #11 today before moving on to the top 10 + another performance.

Comment

• Before moving on to the top 10, let's do a recap from our #50 to #11.

50. Brandy Two Eleven
                                                      49. Ariana Grande Dangerous Woman
                                                      48. Kelis Food
                                                      47. Jhené Aiko Souled Out
                                                      46. Justin Timberlake The 20/20 Experience
                                                      45. Kendrick Lamar good kid, m.A.A.d city
                                                      44. Chris Brown F.A.M.E.
                                                      43. FKA Twigs LP1
                                                      42. Ciara Ciara

40. Christina Aguilera Liberation
                                                      40. Toni Braxton Sex & Cigarettes
                                                      38. Bruno Mars Unorthodox Jukebox
                                                      38. Usher Looking 4 Myself
                                                      37. Toni Braxton & BabyfaceLove, Marriage & Divorce
                                                      36. The Weekend Beauty Behind The Madness
                                                      35. Sade Soldier Of Love
                                                      34. Kanye West & JAY Z Watch The Throne
                                                      33. Janelle Monáe The Electric Lady
                                                      32. Kelly Rowland Talk A Good Game
                                                      31. Jessie Ware Tough Love

30. Cardi B Invasion of Privacy
                                                      29. Miguel Wildheart
                                                      28. Ariana Grande Sweetener
                                                      27. Miguel Kaleidoscope Dream
                                                      26. Rihanna Talk That Talk
                                                      25. The Weeknd Starboy
                                                      24. Nicki Minaj Pink Friday
                                                      23. Nicki Minaj The Pinkprint
                                                      22. Mariah Carey Me. I Am Mariah... The Elusive Chanteuse
                                                      21. Rihanna Unapologetic

20. Jazmine Sullivan Reality Show
                                                      19. Janet Jackson Unbreakable
                                                      18. Kendrick Lamar To Pimp A Butterfly
                                                      17. Ariana Grande thank u, next
                                                      16. Bruno Mars 24K Magic
                                                      15. Rihanna LOUD
                                                      14. Kendrick Lamar DAMN.
                                                      13. Drake Take Care
                                                      12. Tinashe Aquarius
                                                      11. SZA CTRL

Next up, we have a special performance from one of the hottest acts at the moment

+

I'm going to reveal a special batch consists of albums
                                                      that received #1 votes individually from a single person
                                                      yet no one else had voted for them or what I'd like to call:
                                                      Bubbling Under: I'm So Lonely

Comment

• When are we going to have a special throwback performance of GOAT?
                                                        Originally posted by beredy
                                                        When people see your post this is what they see:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

• Ever since his sophomore album was released in 2015,
                                                          our next performer has transformed into one of the biggest musical stars of the decade

Performing "Scared to Live" from his number one album, After Hours
                                                          Please welcome to the stage,
                                                          The Weeknd!

Comment

Working...
                                                          X