Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UKMIX Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums of the 2010s (#1 REVEALED + REVISED TOP 100)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think Miguel's album was a solid effort!

I was very close to adding Nicki's Queen to my list but it got the cut at the last minute. I thought the album would've benefitted from pruning.

Comment

• Kali Uchis' Isolation definitely deserved to be higher on this list, but not surprised it's already out. War & Leisure was also one of my favorites. Pineapple Skies, Told You So and Banana Clip >>>
      aRat's NUDES LEAKED

Comment

• Originally posted by abi View Post
        Notes:
        - 7 people voted for Miguel's War & Leisure making it the most-voted album so far. It's also Miguel's first appearance on the countdown.
        - Queen is Nicki's second appearance on the countdown so far. She still has two albums left.
        - We Got It from Here... Thank You 4 Your Service was only placed at #34 on the 2016 year-end countdown making it the first album so far that's not placed inside the top 20 during its respective year (minus those released in 2012).
        - 4 big names are coming up in the next batch.
        Wow. 4 Nicki albums made the list! Surprised tbh.

I sent Abi a PM but maybe others know - how are points awarded? Were out #1 picks given XX points and out #40 picks given XX points?

Comment

• ^Basically, I gave each one of your number ones 40 points, number twos 39 points, number threes 38 points and so on.

Comment

• I voted for BANKS and Miguel. They were both on my list.
            YOU KNOW ME, I JUST DON'T STOP. | My last.fm

Comment

• Wow. That Ari Lennox album was GREAT.

Comment

• Originally posted by abi View Post
                "Right By My Side", "I Am Your Leader", "Pound The Alarm", "Whip It", "High School" and even "Starships" and "The Boys" are still better than anything she's released from the past two albums.
                Lie again.
                Originally posted by snoh aalegra

- Ugh, those feels again

Comment

• The Life of Pablo had some great moments.

Cuz I Love You was a good album. JT's 20/20 Experience was too long.

Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded deserves to be Nicki's lowest-charting album. It has some great moments, but it's just way too long! If she'd culled it down to the best 13/14 tracks, it'd be a killer LP.

Doo-Wops & Hooligans deserved more! Hell, it deserved my vote. I probably didn't think it was R&B/urban enough in the moment.

Queen is too low!
                  Akini's Top 400 Songs of the Decade: [2-1!]

Comment

Frank Ocean, nostalgia,ULTRA.

Voted by: LongingHeart, Noahh, DnBLover, Ska8er
                    Year-end chart position: -

Release date: February 16, 2011
                    Genre: Alt-R&B, Pop, R&B
                    Highlights:Novacane”, “We All Try”, “There Will Be Tears

Nostalgia, Ultra (stylized as nostalgia,ULTRA. and occasionally nostalgia/ultra) is the debut mixtape by American singer Frank Ocean. It was released on February 16, 2011. Ocean was inspired to make the mixtape after Hurricane Katrina in his native New Orleans and his subsequent relocation to Los Angeles. After joining alternative hip hop group Odd Future in 2010, he self-released the mixtape, without initial promotion. Nostalgia, Ultra has a unique R&B aesthetic and features surreal themes and nostalgic lyrics. The songs mostly focus on interpersonal relationships, personal reflection, and social commentary. Following its release, the mixtape received rave reviews from music critics. The cover features a picture of a bright orange BMW E30 M3, Ocean's "dream car", in plain sight amidst lush greenery. The mixtape appeared on several music critics' and publications' end-of-year albums lists. Following its release, both Ocean and the mixtape have developed a cult following. The mixtape was followed by the release of Ocean's debut studio album Channel Orange to even greater critical acclaim in 2012.

Last edited by abi; Sat May 9th, 2020, 09:04.

Comment

Eminem, Recovery

Voted by: Erotica, cheapthrills, JSparksFan, Goldmoney
                      Year-end chart position: 7

Release date: June 18, 2010
                      Genre: Hip hop, Pop rap
                      Highlights: Love The Way You Lie” (feat. Rihanna), “Not Afraid”, “No Love” (feat. Lil Wayne)

Recovery is the seventh studio album by American rapper Eminem. It was released on June 18, 2010, by Aftermath Entertainment, Shady Records, and Interscope Records. It serves as the follow-up to Eminem's sixth studio album Relapse (2009). Originally planned to be released as Relapse 2, the album was renamed to Recovery when Eminem found the album to be musically different from its predecessor. Production of the album took place during 2009 to 2010 at several recording studios and was handled by various record producers, including Alex da Kid, Just Blaze, Boi-1da, Jim Jonsin, DJ Khalil, Mr. Porter, and Dr. Dre. Eminem also collaborated with artists such as Pink, Lil Wayne, Slaughterhouse and Rihanna for the album. Recovery featured more introspective and emotional content than its predecessor and the theme of the album revolved around his positive changes, anxiety, and emotional drives. Recovery debuted at number one on the Billboard 200, with first week sales of 741,000 copies. It also reached number one in 16 other countries. In August 2011, Recovery was certified triple platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA).

Last edited by abi; Sat May 9th, 2020, 09:04.

Comment

Usher, Looking 4 Myself

Voted by: Erotica, quilmrt, dylonj, JSparksFan, Preyoncé

Release date: June 8, 2012
                        Genre: R&B, Dance-pop, Electropop
                        Highlights: Climax”, “Lemme See” (feat. Rick Ross), “Dive

Looking 4 Myself is the seventh studio album by American singer Usher. It was released on June 8, 2012, by RCA Records. In October 2011, it was announced that the disbandment have been occurred between Usher and the J/LaFace imprint. The album includes these several producers that were involved and have provided with its production; including Diplo, Rico Love, Jim Jonsin, Salaam Remi, Pharrell Williams and Max Martin, among others. It features these several guest vocalists; including Luke Steele and ASAP Rocky. Inspired by the electronic duo Empire of the Sun and listening to music originating from several locations, Usher intended the album to contain a more experimental sound, that remained relevant to the music of its time. Defined as "revolutionary pop" by the singer, critics noted that Looking 4 Myself incorporates the genres R&B, pop, hip hop, electronic, Europop and dubstep. Critic Barry Walters has described it as a key release in the emerging alternative R&B genre. The album debuted atop the US Billboard 200 chart, selling 128,000 copies in its first week, becoming Usher's fourth number one album in the country. As of October 2014, Looking 4 Myself has sold 504,000 copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan. Worldwide, it attained top-ten positions in over eight other countries including Australia, Canada, Germany and the United Kingdom.

Last edited by abi; Sat May 9th, 2020, 09:05.

Comment

• War & Leisure was so good!! I've almost voted for it as well but removed it last minute. I have 2 other Miguel albums in my list tho.

So glad 3 other users voted for Tamia's Love Life. That album is FIRE. Let me go ahead and play Chaise Lounge

Comment

Ariana Grande, My Everything

Voted by: abi, JSparksFan, Goldmoney, Loveguru
                            Year-end chart position: 4

Release date: June 8, 2012
                            Genre: Pop, R&B, Soul
                            Highlights:Love Me Harder” (feat. The Weeknd), “Best Mistake” (feat. Big Sean), “Break Your Heart Right Back” (feat. Childish Gambino)

My Everything is the second studio album by American singer Ariana Grande, released on August 25, 2014 by Republic Records. Grande wanted My Everything to sound as "an evolution" from her debut album, Yours Truly (2013); it explores more mature themes and music genres. In the album's production, Grande worked with a host of producers and co-writers – including Max Martin, Shellback, Benny Blanco, Ryan Tedder, Darkchild, Ilya Salmanzadeh, Zedd, and David Guetta, to name a few. Upon its release, the album debuted atop the Billboard 200 albums chart in the United States, selling 169,000 copies in its first week there. It debuted at number one in Australia and Canada as well, and peaked in the top ten of twenty countries worldwide. As of April 2018, the album has sold 735,000 copies in the United States alone. My Everything was preceded by the lead single "Problem", which features Australian rapper Iggy Azalea. After its release on April 28, 2014, the single debuted on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart in the US at number three the week ending May 17, selling over 400,000 copies in its first week and eventually peaking at number two. At the 57th Annual Grammy Awards in 2015, My Everything was nominated for Best Pop Vocal Album.

Last edited by abi; Sat May 9th, 2020, 09:06.

Comment

• Notes:
                              - First mixtape to appear on the countdown, Nostalgia,ULTRA. becomes Frank's very first entry inside the top 100. Both of his latter albums, Channel ORANGE and Blonde received widespread acclaim from both fans & critics. How high will they end up?
                              - Despite running the 2010's with four consecutive number albums, it's pretty clear that the majority of UKMIX was not enjoying Eminem's newer music as Recovery marks his first and last appearance on the countdown.
                              - Diving more into a more Europop & Electronic sound met with mixed reviews from his R&B fans, Looking 4 Myself is also Usher's first appearance so far. Will he have more entries in the top 100? We'll see.
                              - With support from Childish Gambino, The Weeknd, Iggy Azalea, A$AP Ferg and her then-boyfriend Big Sean, My Everything marks Ariana's first entry on this countdown - arguably one of the Poppiest albums we've had so far. She still has multiple entries yet to come.

Comment

• Was expecting Frank to be higher on the list (hence why I put the album cover on the banner) but then again, it's a mixtape and it's not on Spotify so it's understandable.

After the masterpiece that is "Climax", Looking 4 Myself turned out to be such a disappointment for me. Really was not feeling his Europop/Dance phase at that time. The album still has some cute little bops though, just not strong enough to put it on my list.

My Everything is my favorite Ariana record, by far. Literally the only album from her that I could listen to from start to finish without any skip. "Best Mistake" and "Break Your Heart Right Back" remain my favorite, "Hands On Me" was a bop as well. However, there's this one bonus track that I feel like was very overlooked by everyone, it's called "You Don't Know Me". A jam!

Comment

• I can't at Goldmoney voting for M&M. Turn in your lamb card.
                                  I have received many gifts from God,
                                  but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

• I would never even think about voting for Feminem today, but early 10s G$ was such an unenlightened, primitive dumbass. Even so, I felt like my list had to accurately representative all of my triumphs and my faults.

Areola was borderline but since she molded her early career on mimicking Kween, that put her over the line.
                                    Originally posted by beredy
                                    When people see your post this is what they see:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

• Lovely presentation @abi!

Will follow this and comment when I see an album I like or have listened to - looking at the last page, it'd be a stretch. I thought I saw Annie Lennox at one point and thought WTF is she doing in here (it was Ari Lennox).

Comment

• I have lost so far:
                                        - my #13 Anderson .Paak - Malibu. Great album, Anderson is a great artist.
                                        - my #14 A Tribe Called Quest - We Got It from Here... Thank You 4 Your Service. We The People is probably a top 5 urban song for the decade for me.
                                        - my #29 Jessie Ware - Glasshouse. Other album from her will rank higher in my list, but this was good.
                                        - my #33 Bruno Mars - Doo-Wops & Hooligans. A great start that desered to be in the list.
                                        VISIT UKmix HOT100 @ Front Desk
                                        ENJOY Hits in the Mix! weekly chart @ General Music

Comment

• Only two of mine so far:
                                          My #17 - USHER - Looking 4 Myself
                                          My #29 - JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE - The 20/20 Experience - 2 of 2

Comment

• I'm surprised I didn't vote for nostalgia,ULTRA. It's a good mixtape and has a good chunk of my favourite Frank songs. Recovery is underrated, so I'm not surprised to see it relatively low. Same goes for Looking 4 Myself.

My Everything deserved more!
                                            Akini's Top 400 Songs of the Decade: [2-1!]

Comment

• All of those deserved their low rankings on this list (but still great they're including).
                                              Originally posted by snoh aalegra

- Ugh, those feels again

Comment

• I lost my #1 already. Kali Uchis' Isolation. It's a true eclectic journey. Brilliant album.
                                                I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
                                                I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Comment

• I was contemplating on adding Miguel's War & Leisure on my list for ages. Such a great record, with Pineapple Skies and Come Through and Chill still on rotation.

I haven't listened to the Ari Lennox or Tamia albums.

Queen had a short shelf life in my opinion. I only remember a couple songs from the album. It could be that her problematic behavior at the time prevented me from enjoying the album as much as it deserved.

A Tribe Called Quest's album is great, but for some reason I haven't listened to it much since it came out.

I actually never listened to Overgrown, which is shameful considering Assume Form was one of my favorites of last year. I should check out the rest of his discography.

Nostalgia, ULTRA was my #18. I only discovered it a year or two ago but it's a stunning mixtape from start to finish that still feels fresh.

I don't think I ever listened to Recovery, Looking 4 Myself or My Everything as "albums" past their first month of release, which is why none of them made it to my list. Having said that, they do have some great songs (basically those that abi pointed out).

Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

• Lemme chime in. Didn't find the time to complete and send my list.

The MF Life might be the most slept-on R&B album of all time. It has everything you need from a contemporary R&B album. The heartbreaking ballads, downtempo Drake-esque songs, old school soul influenced songs with REAL instrumentation, hip hop infused jams...issa crime this is so ignored.

Glasshouse had no business being here. It's not R&B, and also it's trash.

Trip is a strong body of work, and I typically can't stand how self-indulgent and fake deep her material tends to be. It is too bloated tho.

Isolation is a brilliant album, it reminds me of Afrodisiac based on how layered it is. I need to be in a specific mood to listen to it tho.

Shea Butter Baby is a very pleasant listen but it's missing something for me.

Love Life is another criminally slept-on album, it's very modern but super mature in every aspect. Silky smooth and seductive. Lowkey an improved version of Two Eleven.

My Everything - see Glasshouse.
                                                    Floped and localed

Comment

• Thank you everyone for still tuning in.
                                                      As we're about to enter the top 75, let's take a break for a second and enjoy our next performance.

Performing "Valerie" as a tribute to the late Amy Winehouse,
                                                      Ladies and gentleman,
                                                      Bruno Mars!

Comment

• Nicki Minaj's "Queen" was a strong album as a whole. Even though it has too many songs it's still hard to say which one she could have left out IMO. A shame the era was rather disappointing overall when it comes to singles & promo.

Love Ariana's "My Everything", but didn't vote for it. It's her least R&B sounding album to me and it just didn't fit this countdown to me personally.

Comment

Kanye West, Yeezus

Voted by: Erotica, Rihab, DnBLover, Jonathan, Loveguru
                                                          Year-end chart position: 8

Release date: June 18, 2013
                                                          Genre: Hip hop, Industrial, Punk rap, Electronic
                                                          Highlights: Bound 2”, “Black Skinhead”, “Blood On The Leaves

Yeezus is the sixth studio album by American rapper and producer Kanye West. It was released on June 18, 2013, through Def Jam Recordings and Roc-A-Fella Records. West gathered a number of artists and close collaborators for the production, including Mike Dean, Daft Punk, Noah Goldstein, Arca, Hudson Mohawke, and Travis Scott. The album also features guest vocals from Justin Vernon, Chief Keef, Kid Cudi, Assassin, King L, Charlie Wilson, and Frank Ocean. The album has been characterized as West's most experimental and sonically abrasive work. It draws from an array of genres, including industrial, acid house, electro, punk, and Chicago drill. West's unconventional use of samples is also contained, as on "Blood on the Leaves", which contains a sample from Nina Simone's 1965 rendition of "Strange Fruit". Yeezus received widespread acclaim from critics, many of whom named it among West's best work and commended its brash direction, though public response was divided; however, it was nominated for Best Rap Album at the 2014 Grammy Awards. The album debuted at number one on the US Billboard 200, selling 327,000 copies in the first week of release. It has since been certified platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), and was named by several publications as one of the best albums of the 2010s.

Comment

Solange, True

Voted by: mattsky, DnBLover, beredy, minime

Release date: November 27, 2012
                                                            Genre: Neo soul, R&B, New wave
                                                            Highlights:Losing You”, “Lovers In The Parking Lot”, “Look Good With Trouble

True is the first extended play (EP) by American recording artist Solange Knowles, first released on November 27, 2012 digitally through Terrible Records. Following the release of her second studio album Sol-Angel and the Hadley St. Dreams (2008), Knowles announced that she had parted ways with Interscope Geffen A&M after releasing just one album on the label, and further revealed that she had chosen to go an independent route, eventually signing with Terrible Records. In 2009, Knowles began the recording of a studio album, during which she suffered a "breakdown" due to the amount of time and emotion she was putting into the recording process. A neo soul album, True contains an eclectic sound that takes influence from PBR&B, new wave music, dance, 1980s pop, and electronica, whilst the extended play's production is characterized as containing '80s references, keyboards and African percussion. The recording process took three years and was handled by Knowles and producer Dev Hynes. Together the pair produced, wrote and composed all of the songs, a decision Knowles made due to their chemistry, friendship and work relationship. Upon release True received generally positive reviews from music critics.

Comment

• 71. (tie)

J. Cole, 2014 Forest Hills Drive

Voted by: Leo, BeeBoy, DnBLover, Michiel, Ska8er
                                                              Year-end chart position: 13

Release date: December 9, 2014
                                                              Genre: Hip hop, Conscious rap
                                                              Highlights:Apparently”, “Wet Dreamz”, “No Role Modelz

2014 Forest Hills Drive is the third studio album by American rapper J. Cole. It was released on December 9, 2014, by ByStorm Entertainment, Columbia Records, Dreamville Records and Roc Nation. Recording sessions took place over the whole year, while the production on the album was primarily handled by Cole himself, along with several others such as Illmind, Vinylz, Phonix Beats and Willie B. It was announced three weeks before its release and had very little marketing, with no singles or promotion taking place prior to its release. 2014 Forest Hills Drive received generally positive reviews from critics who admired its ambitious concept, production and lyrics. The album debuted at number one on the US Billboard 200, selling 353,000 copies in its first week. As of September 2015, the album has sold one million copies in the United States. The album was certified triple platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) in May 2019. The album won Album of the Year at the 2015 BET Hip Hop Awards, and Top Rap Album at the 2015 Billboard Music Awards. It was nominated for Best Rap Album at the 2016 Grammy Awards.

Comment

Working...
                                                              X