Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UKMIX Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums of the 2010s (#1 REVEALED + REVISED TOP 100)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 71. (tie)

BANKS, Goddess

Voted by: Loose, Rihab, Tansike, Michiel, Carbon, Loveguru
    Year-end chart position: 11

Release date: September 5, 2014
    Genre: Electronica, Alt-R&B, Pop
    Highlights: Begging For Thread”, “Brain”, “Warm Water

Goddess is the debut studio album by American singer and songwriter Banks. It was released on September 5, 2014, by Harvest Records. The album includes songs from her previous extended plays Fall Over and London. Goddess received generally positive reviews from music critics. At Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream publications, the album received an average score of 74, based on 22 reviews. Slant Magazine placed Goddess at number eight on its list of The 25 Best Albums of 2014, with Annie Galvin commenting, "The alt-pop landscape in 2014 was crowded with sultry female singers backed by über-hip electronic beatscapes, yet Jillian Banks managed to rise above the fray with her debut." Rolling Stone named it the 17th best R&B album of 2014, and the magazine's Cady Drell wrote, "More than just an Internet sensation with on-the-nose Nineties R&B throwback hooks, L.A. native Jillian Banks can go from gloomy trance cuts one minute to lyrically explicit soul jams the next—all with an impressively modern gothic touch." It was also listed as the 24th best album of the year by The Guardian.

Comment

• 71. (tie)

Chance The Rapper, Coloring Book

Voted by: Mugen, BeeBoy, Rihab, Ska8er, Loveguru
      Year-end chart position: 16

Release date: May 13, 2016
      Genre: Hip hop, Gospel rap
      Highlights:No Problem” (feat. 2 Chainz & Lil Wayne), “All Night” (feat. Knox Fortune), “Same Drugs

Coloring Book is the third mixtape by American rapper Chance the Rapper. It was produced by his group The Social Experiment, Lido, and Kaytranada, among others. For the mixtape, Chance also collaborated with musicians such as Kanye West, Young Thug, Francis and the Lights, Justin Bieber, 2 Chainz, Kirk Franklin, and the Chicago Children's Choir. Coloring Book was released on May 13, 2016, exclusively on Apple Music, before being made available to other streaming services on May 27. It was the first album to chart on the US Billboard 200 solely on streams, peaking at number eight, while receiving widespread acclaim from critics who praised its fusion of hip hop and gospel sounds. The album won Best Rap Album at the 2017 Grammy Awards. It was also the first streaming-only album ever to win a Grammy.

Comment

• Y'all seem to really like BANKS over here, don't you?

The album artworks for the first 2 entries in the last batch though. Very creative, much groundbreaking.

Also, I'm going to stop giving additional notes for each batch. My brain is too lazy to do some write-ups.

Comment

• Yeezus, True and (especially) Goddes are really good albums. Damn, I should have voted for Banks -.-

Comment

• I really enjoyed the True record by Solange, it contains one of my favourite songs of all-time - the brilliant Losing You.

Comment

• True is a masterpiece. Solange's best work.

Bad Girls >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
              Floped and localed

Comment

• Yes, I voted for BANKS! I love all 3 records of hers. She’s a true highlight of this century.

TRUE is also my favourite Solange project (and probably will ever be).
                YOU KNOW ME, I JUST DON'T STOP. | My last.fm

Comment

• Chance is kind of lame, not a fan of emo/corny rap

Yeezus is aight but too industrial for my liking.
                  Originally posted by beredy
                  When people see your post this is what they see:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

• At this rate, I'll be surprised if 5 of my picks make this list! LOL

Comment

• Yes at Banks! "Goddess" was such a strong debut album and I still like to listen to some songs ever now and then. Already her second appearance on the countdown

Comment

• Originally posted by Tansike View Post
                        Yes at Banks! "Goddess" was such a strong debut album and I still like to listen to some songs ever now and then. Already her second appearance on the countdown
                        All her 3 records were in my Top 10.

Comment

Emeli Sandé, Our Version of Events

Voted by: Ivica, RayRay, quilmrt, JSparksFan
                          Year-end chart position: -

Release date: February 13, 2012
                          Genre: R&B, Soul, Pop
                          Highlights:Next To Me”, “Read All About It, Pt. III”, “Clown

Our Version of Events is the debut studio album by Scottish recording artist Emeli Sandé. The album was released on 13 February 2012 by Virgin Records, following Sandé's winning of the Critic's Choice Award at the BRIT Awards 2012. Though Our Version of Events is her first release, Sandé has been active in the industry since 2009, most notable appearing on singles by Chipmunk ("Diamond Rings") and Wiley ("Never Be Your Woman"). The album features R&B, soul and pop music. Sandé began working with Alicia Keys for the album, and for Keys' upcoming album. She also expressed interest in working with Nicki Minaj on the album. Naughty Boy was a major collaboration with Sandé from the day she began creating music professionally. She wrote every track on the album, saying that the key to a good song when writing is using "honesty" and "raw emotion". Upon the release of the album, Sandé's vocal ability has been compared to the likes of Aretha Franklin, Whitney Houston, Beyoncé and Annie Lennox.

Comment

• 68. (tie)

M.I.A., Matangi

Voted by: heppolo, Erotica, beredy, Michiel
                            Year-end chart position: 10

Release date: November 1, 2013
                            Genre: Experimental hip hop, Bhangra, Worldbeat
                            Highlights:Bad Girls”, “Y.A.L.A.”, “Double Bubble Trouble

Matangi is the fourth studio album by British recording artist M.I.A.. It was released on 1 November 2013 on her own label, N.E.E.T. Recordings, through Interscope Records. Songwriting and production for the album were primarily handled by M.I.A. and longtime collaborator Switch, with additional contributions from Hit-Boy, Doc McKinney, Danja, Surkin and The Partysquad. The album's title is a variant of M.I.A.'s real first name and also references the Hindu goddess Matangi. Themes relating to Hinduism, including reincarnation and karma, feature in the lyrics, and the music blends western and eastern styles. The first single to be taken from the album, "Bad Girls", was released nearly two years before the album and became one of M.I.A.'s most successful singles. Three other songs from the album were released as singles in the run-up to its eventual release. The album received highly positive reviews from critics, with many citing it as a return to form compared to its predecessor.

Comment

• 68. (tie)

Iggy Azalea, The New Classic

Voted by: Loose, mattsky, Rihab, Carbon, Preyoncé
                              Year-end chart position: 7

Release date: April 21, 2014
                              Genre: Hip hop, Pop rap
                              Highlights:Black Widow” (feat. Rita Ora), “Work”, “Fancy” (feat. Charli XCX)

The New Classic is the debut studio album by Australian rapper Iggy Azalea. It was released on 21 April 2014, by Def Jam Recordings in United States, Virgin EMI in United Kingdom and affiliated record labels in other countries. Azalea came to prominence, after releasing her debut mixtape Ignorant Art and subsequently aligning herself with American rapper T.I. and his Hustle Gang imprint. Azalea first mentioned plans for the album in December 2011, but after numerous delays and label conflicts, Azalea eventually secured herself a record contract through Island Def Jam Music Group (now defunct). Though generally categorized as a hip hop album, The New Classic also incorporates elements of other genres, such as EDM, dance-pop and trap music in its production. The album garnered Azalea four Grammy Award nominations for Best New Artist, Record of the Year and Best Pop Duo/Group Performance for "Fancy" and Best Rap Album at the 57th Grammy Awards. The New Classic has been reissued in a repackaged version, titled Reclassified, as of November 2014.

Comment

• 66. (tie)

Dawn Richard, Goldenheart

Voted by: LongingHeart, Noahh, Michiel
                                Year-end chart position: 29

Release date: January 15, 2013
                                Genre: Alt-R&B, R&B, Pop
                                Highlights:’86”, “Return of a Queen”, “Pretty Wicked Things

Goldenheart is the second studio album by American singer Dawn Richard. It was released on January 15, 2013, by Our Dawn Entertainment. After Richard's group Diddy – Dirty Money disbanded in 2012, the singer continued to develop her musical identity and worked with creative partner and manager Andrew "Druski" Scott, who co-wrote Goldenheart with her. It is the first in a trilogy of albums by Richard about love, loss, and redemption. Goldenheart is an eccentric R&B album that draws on dream pop, alternative, and dance genres. Its mostly midtempo songs have strong grooves and feature synthesizers, string settings, vintage keyboards, and an array of percussive sounds. A post-breakup concept album, Richard's songwriting poses relationships and personal subjects as epic tales through magical, medieval imagery and allusions to high fantasy and science fiction tropes. Goldenheart received universal acclaim from music critics, who praised its grand musical scope and Richard's theatrical personality.

Comment

• 66. (tie)

BANKS, III

Voted by: Loose, Rihab, Tansike, Michiel
                                  Year-end chart position: 12

Release date: July 12, 2019
                                  Genre: Emo goth-pop, R&B
                                  Highlights:Contaminated”, “Gimme”, “Stroke

III is the third studio album by American singer and songwriter Banks. It was released on July 12, 2019, by Harvest Records. It was preceded by the release of three singles, "Gimme", "Look What You're Doing to Me", and "Contaminated". The album peaked at number 21 on the Billboard 200. III received positive reviews from music critics. At Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream publications, the album received an average score of 76, based on 11 reviews. Narzra Ahmed of Clash stated "III is definitely a progression for her as an artist. The more upbeat tracks are interspersed among softer, more delicate, heartfelt ones that represent the duality of her personality and also increase its replay value". Rhys Harding of The Line of Best Fit commented, "Overall, Banks has taken a step forward in her development as an artist, and you can hear this increase in maturity across each album. At times, her evolution is not as convincing as other artists on her level, though the quality of the songwriting here generally makes up for that".

Last edited by abi; Tue May 12th, 2020, 07:36.

Comment

• There you go y'all girl BANKS once again.

Not quite a big fan of M.I.A. but "Bad Girls" slaps and she did that with the video. Not many popular acts have the guts to touch sensitive subjects especially regarding Islamic/Middle-Eastern cultures but she did it!

Comment

• Originally posted by abi View Post
                                      There you go y'all girl BANKS once again
                                      She‘s a stunner, isn‘t she?

I love the fact that this record got the devil-ish chart position of #66.

If she had any more records released this decade, I would have voted for all of them for sure. #TeamBanks

Comment

• Dawn was my #10, what an awesome album <3
                                        ​​​​

Comment

• Oh I forgot about Solange's True, cute album with some stunning tracks! Also enjoyed Emeli's debut, especially Heaven.
                                          THRILLER’S SOUNDS OF THE 90s

Comment

• Only UKmix can tie the amazing M.I.A. album and Iggy's whatever.

I expected to see Solange's True Top 30. That's one of the best EPs ever. All tracks are great. Losing You is soooo good.
                                            I have received many gifts from God,
                                            but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

• Banks III was my #1 Voted for all of them! She is simply brilliant and she knows how to make a F album. Saw her live three times, and her progression on stage is also quite impressive. Despite not having a big team behind her she still manages to make wholesome quality albums with top notch production. She is an artist through and through. She lives for her art and that is reflected in all her output. I only have respect for her. And III is just an impressive album from top to bottom. She seems like such an emotional mess sometimes, but the way she is able to channel those emotions through her music in a very accessible way... I mean wow!

Dawn's Goldenheart was my #2. Albeit I hardly listen to it now, that album stayed with me for years. Sadly she could not follow it up, her output afterwards was hit and miss. She has too many ideas, and with Goldenheart she managed to press hold and capture it. That's of course the way I interpret it, and it is also very relatable to my job. Having a lot of ideas is a different artform than capturing and presenting them. I feel she got lost musically speaking and is trying way too hard. If one day she could do a new goldenheart, I would be in heaven.
                                              Last edited by Michiel; Tue May 12th, 2020, 10:16.
                                              Eudaimonia
                                              Last.fm
                                              Instagram

Comment

• I really enjoyed BANKS a few years ago (especially Beggin' For Thread) but I wasn't keen on the III album.
                                                THRILLER’S SOUNDS OF THE 90s

Comment

• #68 Y’all gon make me more mad than I already am
                                                  Originally posted by beredy
                                                  When people see your post this is what they see:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

• Wow, y'all really love Banks. I have never heard more than a track or two. I'll dive in!

ALSO: With Emeli Sande, I now have 3 albums on the board lol.

Comment

Fergie, Double Dutchess

Voted by: mattsky, Erotica, Ivica, Preyoncé
                                                      Year-end chart position: 4

Release date: September 22, 2017
                                                      Genre: Pop, Hip hop, R&B
                                                      Highlights:M.I.L.F. $”, “Hungry” (feat. Rick Ross), “L.A.LOVE (la la)” (feat. YG)

Double Dutchess is the second studio album by American singer Fergie. It was released on September 22, 2017. The album is the singer's first to be released under her own imprint, Dutchess Music, in a partnership with Retrofuture Productions and BMG Rights Management, and first since her solo debut, The Dutchess (2006). Promotion for the album began with the release of the album's first single "L.A. Love (La La)" in late 2014. "M.I.L.F. $" was released as the second single from the album in July 2016, followed by the release of "Life Goes On" in November that same year. "You Already Know" featuring Nicki Minaj was released as the fourth single on September 12, 2017. Besides Minaj, the album includes collaborations with YG, Rick Ross, and Fergie's son Axl Jack. Double Dutchess received generally mixed reviews from critics. At Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream publications, the album received an average score of 53, based on 4 reviews.

Comment

• 63. (tie)

Ciara, Basic Instinct

Voted by: Ivica, LongingHeart, Thriller, Michiel, Preyoncé
                                                        Year-end chart position: 11

Release date: December 10, 2010
                                                        Genre: R&B, Hip hop, Dance-pop
                                                        Highlights:Ride” (feat. Ludacris), “Gimmie Dat”, “Speechless

Basic Instinct is the fourth studio album by American singer Ciara. It was released on December 10, 2010, by LaFace Records and Jive Records. Executive-produced by A&R agent Mark Pitts, Ciara, Tricky Stewart and The-Dream, Basic Instinct returns Ciara to her urban roots with mid-tempo R&B cuts and bass-heavy pop and dance songs. Aside from production by Stewart and The-Dream, Ciara collaborated with production by Soundz, Infinity and T-Minus. Frequent collaborator and friend Ludacris makes a guest vocal appearance, as does labelmate and fellow Atlanta-native, Usher. After her previous album, Fantasy Ride, suffered numerous leaks and pushbacks, information about Basic Instinct was kept confidential until the first single was released and album was complete. Despite keeping more control of the album's content, Basic Instinct still suffered several pushbacks due the leaking of songs from the album's recording sessions, much like its predecessor. Three singles preceded the album's release including the Ludacris-assisted lead single "Ride," which peaked within the top five on the US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart at number three and at number forty-two on the Billboard Hot 100. Basic Instinct was well received by critics, on average scoring seventy-two out of 100 according to Metacritic.

Comment

• 63. (tie)

Kendrick Lamar and Various Artists, Black Panther: The Album

Voted by: Leo, cheapthrills, DnBLover, bm08, Goldmoney
                                                          Year-end chart position: 10

Release date: February 9, 2018
                                                          Genre: Hip hop, Trap, Pop, R&B
                                                          Highlights:All The Stars” (with SZA), “King’s Dead” (with Jay Rock, Future, James Blake), “Pray For Me” (with The Weeknd)

The soundtrack for the 2018 American superhero film Black Panther, based on the Marvel Comics character of the same name and produced by Marvel Studios, consists of an original score composed by Ludwig Göransson and original songs produced by Kendrick Lamar. Göransson worked on all of director Ryan Coogler's previous films, while Lamar and Coogler had previously discussed collaborating and the musician agreed to produce several songs for the film after seeing an early version of it. After reading the film's script, Göransson traveled to Africa to research traditional African music for the film. He went on tour with Senegalese musician Baaba Maal, and recorded performances by Maal and other African musicians for use in the score. Wanting to match the film in terms of addressing important themes, Lamar decided to produce a full curated soundtrack album rather than just the few songs requested by Coogler. Because of the film's set release schedule, Lamar had less time to work on the album than he usually would. He began work with producer Sounwave while on tour, before completing the individual songs in collaboration with many different artists. One of these collaborators was Göransson, who worked on one of the songs and included elements from the album in the score. Lamar's soundtrack was released as Black Panther: The Album by Interscope Records on February 9, 2018, to large sales, including the top position on the Billboard 200 chart. It was praised by many critics as a milestone for film soundtracks due to its ideas and lyrics.

Comment

• 61. (tie)

Tinashe, Nightride

Voted by: Marchum, ThaInfo1, Ruthymon, minime
                                                            Year-end chart position: 7

Release date: November 4, 2016
                                                            Genre: R&B, Alt-R&B, Hip hop
                                                            Highlights: Company”, “Party Favors” (feat. Young Thug), “Ride Of Your Life

Nightride is the first digital album released by American singer Tinashe. It was released on November 4, 2016, by RCA Records. Its first single, "Company" was released on September 16, 2016. The album also includes the promotional singles "Ride of Your Life" and "Party Favors". Unlike the single version of "Party Favors", the album version does not feature rapper Young Thug. Tinashe recorded the project while recording her second studio album Joyride. The album peaked at number 89 on the US Billboard 200. Tinashe confirmed in 2019 that she considers Nightride her second studio album, however her former label, RCA Records, did not and that was the reason the album did not get promoted, did not get a proper lead single and she could not tour for the album. She said multiple times that she and her label had creative differences, which led to them not releasing it as a proper album as it was not the kind of pop music they wanted from her. Nightride received generally favorable reviews from music critics. At Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream publications, the album received an average score of 75, based on 5 reviews.

Comment

• 61. (tie)

Beyoncé and Various Artists, The Lion King: The Gift

Voted by: UndercoverSista, quilmrt, abi, BeeBoy, DnBLover, Goldmoney, Ska8er, Loveguru
                                                              Year-end chart position: 4

Release date: July 19, 2019
                                                              Genre: Afrobeat, R&B, Hip hop, Pop
                                                              Highlights:ALREADY” (feat. Shatta Wale, Major Lazer), “BIGGER”, “NILE” (feat. Kendrick Lamar)

The Lion King: The Gift is a soundtrack album curated by American singer and songwriter Beyoncé for the 2019 photorealistic animated remake of The Lion King. It was released on July 19, 2019, by Parkwood Entertainment and Columbia Records. The album was also produced by Beyoncé and includes appearances from Jay-Z, Blue Ivy Carter, Childish Gambino, Pharrell Williams, Kendrick Lamar, Tierra Whack, 070 Shake, and Jessie Reyez, as well as African artists such as Wizkid, Shatta Wale, Burna Boy, Mr Eazi, Tiwa Savage, Tekno, Yemi Alade, Busiswa and Salatiel, among others. Beyoncé called the album "sonic cinema" and said that the film "is a new experience of storytelling", and that the album "is influenced by everything from R&B, pop, hip hop and Afro beat". Beyoncé also said that "[she] wanted to put everyone on their own journey to link the storyline" and that the songs were inspired by the remake's storyline, which "gives the listener a chance to imagine their own imagery, while listening to a new contemporary interpretation". The songs were also produced by African producers, which Beyoncé said was because "authenticity and heart were important to [her]", since the film is set in Africa. At the 2019 Soul Train Music Awards, "Spirit" was nominated for Best Video of the Year and Best Dance Performance, while "Brown Skin Girl" was nominated for Best Collaboration and The Ashford & Simpson Songwriter's Award, winning the latter.

Comment

Working...
                                                              X