Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UKMIX Top Urban/R&B Albums of the 2010s (#16 - #15 + performance)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gross

Never listened to Talk a Good Game, although it does contain her most ratchet lyric ever:

Post Survivor, she on fire, who wanna hear my bullshit?
    Meanwhile this ninja putting his hands on me
    Originally posted by beredy
    When people see your post this is what they see:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

• ThaInfo1
      ThaInfo1 commented
      Editing a comment
      I expect better of you and to have listen to that album smh.

• Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post
    Gross
    So glad you enjoy my #20

Comment

• Kelly fell off after Ms. Kelly to me.

Cardi B is... Let me just say I love watching her interviews, I think she's hilarious and has a unique personality but her music is a no. Her tone annoys me for some reason. She's a really good performer though.

Comment

• I voted for Talk A Good Game because DIRTY LAUNDRY and DOWN ON LOVE and I REMEMBER which are beautifully crafted songs.
        YOU KNOW ME, I JUST DON'T STOP. | My last.fm

Comment

• Tough Love is such a phenomenal album... What a classic
          My #15

Comment

• Talk a Good Game was great. I thought Invasion of Privacy was a solid debut.
            Akini's Top 400 Songs of the Decade: [115-111]

Comment

• Talk A Good Game is R&B gold. Kelly's only great album tbh (Ms. Kelly was ok).

Cardith gave me an album full of pussy popping bops. I'm forever thankful.

Tough Love is the album that got me into my Uk fav.
              Originally posted by snoh aalegra

- Ugh, those feels again

Comment

• Ladies and gentleman,
                Performing his number one hits "DNA" and "Humble",
                Please welcome to the stage.

One of the biggest selling male rappers of the decade,
                Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Comment

• Out of the last couple of batches I only voted for Beauty Behind The Madness (#17) and Watch The Throne (#23). Beauty Behind The Madness isn't necessarily Abel's best album, but it showed more longevity then Starboy with greater highs. After Hours is definitely his best record, but that's for next decade's countdown

Watch The Throne finds two of the best rappers in the game at their best. I wasn't crazy about it when it first came out, mostly because I was too busy with My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, but it's an awesome record with great highs (Otis, Lift Off and Church In The Wild).

The last batch are all great records. Talk A Good Game in particular is probably my favorite Kelly album.

Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

Miguel, Wildheart

Voted by: Loose, Mugen, Marchum, Leo, Noahh, BeeBoy, Rihab, Jonathan, Michiel, Carbon
                      Year-end chart position: 6

Release date: June 29, 2015
                      Genre: R&B, Psychedelic rock, Neo soul, New wave
                      Highlights:coffee”, “Simplethings”, “leaves”, “waves

Wildheart is the third studio album by American R&B singer and songwriter Miguel. It was released on June 29, 2015, by RCA Records and ByStorm Entertainment. The album was produced by Miguel with Benny Cassette, Cashmere Cat, Benny Blanco, and Salaam Remi, among others. Certain songs found him collaborating with fellow singer Lenny Kravitz and rapper Kurupt. The music departed further from Miguel's R&B roots with rock styles such as psychedelic and new wave, as well as lyrical themes that explore morality, normalcy, and sexuality.

Wildheart charted at number two on the Billboard 200 while selling 40,500 copies in its first week. It was a widespread critical success and earned Miguel two Grammy Award nominations, including one in the category of Best Urban Contemporary Album. At Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream publications, the album received an average score of 84, based on 27 reviews.

Comment

Ariana Grande, Sweetener

Voted by: Loose, Ivica, RayRay, Noahh, cheapthrills, Rihab, Tansike, Michiel, JSparksFan, Goldmoney, Carbon, Loveguru
                        Year-end chart position: 4

Release date: August 17, 2018
                        Genre: Pop, R&B, Trap
                        Highlights:God is a woman”, “sweetener”, “everytime”, “no tears left to cry

Sweetener is the fourth studio album by American singer Ariana Grande. It was released on August 17, 2018, through Republic Records. The album has guest appearances by Pharrell Williams, Nicki Minaj and Missy Elliott.

The album received widespread critical acclaim, appearing on several year-end and decade-end lists. It debuted at number one on the US Billboard 200 with 231,000 album-equivalent units in its first week, of which 127,000 were from pure sales, marking Grande's third release to reach the top position in the country. The album would later be certified platinum by the RIAA. Sweetener won Best Pop Vocal Album at the 61st Annual Grammy Awards, marking the first Grammy Award win of Grande's career.

The album has spawned three top-twenty singles in the United States. The lead single, "No Tears Left to Cry" debuted and peaked at number three on the Billboard Hot 100. "The Light Is Coming", featuring Minaj, was released as a promotional single along with the pre-order of the album. The second single, "God Is a Woman" peaked at number eight, while the third single "Breathin" debuted at number 22 following the album release and later peaked at number 12.

Comment

Miguel, Kaleidoscope Dream

Voted by: Mugen, Marchum, abi, BeeBoy, Jonathan, NormiMalone, dylonj, Michiel
                          Year-end chart position: -

Release date: September 25, 2012
                          Genre: Alt-R&B, Psychedelic soul, Pop, Rock
                          Highlights:Adorn”, “How Many Drinks?” (feat. Kendrick Lamar), “Use Me”, “Do You…

Kaleidoscope Dream is the second studio album by American R&B singer and songwriter Miguel. It was released on September 25, 2012, by RCA Records.

After the commercial breakthrough of his debut album All I Want Is You (2010), Miguel wanted to play a larger creative role in his music, leading him to principally produce and write Kaleidoscope Dream. He recorded most of the album at Platinum Sound Recording Studios in New York City and MJP Studios in Los Angeles, working with producers Oak Felder, Jerry "Wonda" Duplessis, and Salaam Remi, among others.

The album's music draws on R&B, pop, funk, rock and soul styles, as well as elements from electronic and psychedelic music. The producers incorporated dense bass lines, buzzing synthesizers, and hazy, reverbed sounds in the songs, which deal mostly with sex, romance, and existential ideas. Miguel titled Kaleidoscope Dream as a metaphor for life and wanted the songs to reflect his lifestyle and personality. Kaleidoscope Dream received widespread acclaim from critics, who praised its eccentric style and Miguel's singing and songwriting.

Comment

• I have been busy so will definately appreciate the whole list after haha
                            Forever Young

Comment

• Did not expect these three albums to be so high on this chart. They're good, I just didn't know we had such a strong Miguel fanbase on here. Adorn is still a tune.

Was I the only one disappointed in Sweetener? Besides the three singles I found it very underwhelming and one of Ariana's weakest efforts.
                              Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

• Miguel‘s WILDHEART is just IT! goingtohell ThaInfo1 you‘re that bitch! I love that song so much and it would be part of any road movie I‘d do. It’s literally a drug for my ears.

Ariana‘s SWEETENER was in my list too. Incredible singles, a few album tracks that bang. Cute effort.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ska8er View Post
                                  Was I the only one disappointed in Sweetener? Besides the three singles I found it very underwhelming and one of Ariana's weakest efforts.
                                  No you're not. I felt the same way about her two last albums. The singles were good but the album tracks are mostly just the same, generic-sounding Trappy songs with a few cute ballads here and there but that's it. They really picked the best songs as the singles.

Comment

• Sweetener was so disappointing IMO. Great singles and tons of filler. Sade and Kelly <3
                                    Haven't been early since '88

Comment

• Happy to see many Miguel albums on the list, he truly deserves it. Kaleidoscope Dream is one of my favorite albums ever. Wildhear is also his 2nd best work imo.
                                      Talk A Good Game is clearly Kelly's best record, and I gave it many many spins. Surprised to see it that high though, it wouldn't be even in my Top 50 tbh.
                                      Also so happy to see Love, Marriage, Divorce. It's such a solid piece of art, from the start to the end. I wasn't into it back in the day, but then I moved in with my hubby and then got married etc..., it hits harder now.

Comment

Rihanna, Talk That Talk

Voted by: Erotica, Ivica, Noahh, Rihab, Tansike, JSparksFan, minime, Goldmoney, Loveguru, Preyoncé
                                        Year-end chart position: 8

Release date: November 18, 2011
                                        Genre: Pop, Hip-hop, Electropop, Dancehall
                                        Highlights:Talk That Talk” (feat. JAY Z), “Birthday Cake”, “We Found Love”, “Roc Me Out

Talk That Talk is the sixth studio album by Barbadian singer Rihanna, released on November 18, 2011, by Def Jam Recordings and SRP Records. It was recorded while traveling for the Loud Tour between February and November 2011, and was originally planned to be a reissue of her previous studio album Loud (2010). As executive producer, Rihanna enlisted a wide range of producers including Alex da Kid, Calvin Harris, Chase & Status, No I.D., and Stargate to achieve her desired sound. The album also continues to have subtle dancehall genres, whilst its lyrical content and themes revolve around a nihilist, romantic and lascivious lover.

Talk That Talk received generally positive reviews from music critics, who praised the album's lyrics, while others were less favorable of its themes. Talk That Talk debuted at number three on the US Billboard 200 with first-week sales of 198,000 copies and went on to sell 1.15 million copies in the United States by June 2015. The album also peaked at number one in Austria, New Zealand, Norway, Switzerland and the United Kingdom, where it debuted at number one on the UK Albums Chart, selling 163,000 copies in its first week. According to the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI), Talk That Talk was the ninth global best-selling album of 2011.

Last edited by abi; Tue May 26th, 2020, 11:11.

Comment

The Weeknd, Starboy

Voted by: Erotica, Mugen, Leo, Thriller, abi, cheapthrills, Rihab, Tansike, bm08, Michiel, Goldmoney, Ska8er
                                          Year-end chart position: 4

Release date: September 21, 2016
                                          Genre: R&B, Electropop, Disco-pop, Trap
                                          Highlights:Starboy” (feat. Daft Punk), “Party Monster”, “Die For You”, “I Feel It Coming” (feat. Daft Punk)

Starboy is the third studio album by Canadian singer The Weeknd. It was released on November 25, 2016, through XO and distributed by Republic Records. The album features guest appearances from Daft Punk, Lana Del Rey, Kendrick Lamar, and Future. It was supported by seven singles: "Starboy", "I Feel It Coming", "Party Monster", "Reminder", "Rockin'", "Die for You", and "Secrets".

Starboy received generally positive reviews from critics and debuted at number one on the US Billboard 200, with 348,000 album-equivalent units, 209,000 of which were pure sales. It also debuted at number one on Billboard's Canadian Albums Chart. In January 2019, the album was certified triple platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA). At Metacritic, the album received an average score of 67, based on 25 reviews. The album won Best Urban Contemporary Album at the 2018 Grammy Awards.

Last edited by abi; Tue May 26th, 2020, 11:11.

Comment

Nicki Minaj, Pink Friday

Voted by: Ivica, Noahh, abi, BeeBoy, cheapthrills, bm08, JSparksFan, Ska8er, Loveguru, Preyoncé
                                            Year-end chart position: 3

Release date: November 22, 2010
                                            Genre: Hip-hop, Pop, R&B
                                            Highlights:Moment 4 Life” (feat. Drake), “Your Love”, “Super Bass”, “Roman’s Revenge” (feat. Eminem)

Pink Friday is the debut studio album by Trinidadian-American rapper Nicki Minaj. It was released on November 22, 2010 by Young Money, Cash Money and Universal Motown. After signing a recording contract with Young Money Entertainment in 2009, Minaj began planning the album that same year and work continued into 2010. Minaj enlisted a variety of producers whose efforts resulted in a primarily hip hop record, which sees additional influences from R&B and pop music. The album features guest vocals from Eminem, Rihanna, Drake, will.i.am, Kanye West and Natasha Bedingfield.

After a much anticipated release as the result of Minaj's extensive featured appearances on the singles of other artists, Pink Friday debuted at number two on the US Billboard 200, selling 375,000 copies in its first week. It ultimately reached number one on the chart and also charted within the top 20 in Australia, Canada, and the United Kingdom. The album has been certified 3× platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) for combined album sales, track sales, and song streams equivalent of three million album-sale units. Pink Friday was nominated for Best Rap Album at the 54th Grammy Awards in 2012, alongside Minaj's other nominations for Best New Artist and Best Rap Performance for the single "Moment 4 Life".

Comment

• Pink Friday was actually very good. However, I completely forgot to vote for it.

Comment

• Okay guys, let's play a little fun game as we're approaching the top 20.

WHICH ALBUMS ARE FLOPPING?

I'm going to list all the albums ranked at #2 on their respective year-end chart (except for 2012).
                                                3 out of these 9 albums failed to make it into the top 100 this time.

The question is, can you guess what those three albums are?

2010: Drake, Thank Me Later
                                                2011: Kelly Rowland, Here I Am
                                                2012: -
                                                2013: Justin Timberlake, The 20/20 Experience
                                                2014: Tinashe, Aquarius
                                                2015: Jazmine Sullivan, Reality Show
                                                2016: Rihanna, ANTI
                                                2017: Kendrick Lamar, DAMN.
                                                2018: Janelle Monáe, Dirty Computer
                                                2019: Tinashe, Songs For You

P.S. Only The 20/20 Experience is out so far at #46.
                                                Last edited by abi; Tue May 26th, 2020, 11:27.

Comment

• 2010: Drake, Thank Me Later
                                                  2011: Kelly Rowland, Here I Am
                                                  2012: -
                                                  2013: Justin Timberlake, The 20/20 Experience
                                                  2014: Tinashe, Aquarius
                                                  2015: Jazmine Sullivan, Reality Show
                                                  2016: Rihanna, ANTI
                                                  2017: Kendrick Lamar, DAMN.
                                                  2018: Janelle Monáe, Dirty Computer
                                                  2019: Tinashe, Songs For You

these are the ones I think will fail to move into the Top100

aRat's NUDES LEAKED

Comment

Working...
                                                  X