Fiona Apple - Fetch The Bolt Cutters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Loose View Post

Bold choice for a Fiona first but you will be pleasantly surprised with her earlier works Tidal and When The Pawn... as they are a bit more accessible.

Today I am digging Under The Table a lot. I almost know it by heart by now.
    Well, "Native Invader" was also my first Tori Amos and I immediately loved it, so I thought why not finally checking Fiona out with the current release. The album already grew a little bit on me after 2 more spins

Comment

I find this album very solid! I am missing a never Is a promise type of song. But it was the first time since When the pawn that I listen ito a Fiona album for the first time and like the whole thing instantly. And then after each listen songs grow fast.

Complete favs:
      Shameika (wow! just wow!), Under the Table (in my all time top 5 from her i think), Rack of His (this could be a great song for a video), Heavy Balloon (another top10 all time kinda song), Drumset (amazing)

Rest of favs:
      I Want You To Love Me, Fetch the Bolt Cutters (and growing), Relay (some parts are brilliant, growing), Newspaper (growing), Ladies (smooth), Cosmonauts (in the middle between complete favs and resto of favs), For Her (interesting, experimental, very enjoyable although a step behind the rest)

Not completely into them yet:
      On I Go (maybe because it's the last one and not so catchy for an album closer so I prefer to go back to I Want You...)

So if I have to rank them now it would be:
      1 Under the Table
      2 Heavy Balloon
      3 Shameika
      4 Drumset
      5 Rack of His
      6 Cosmonauts
      7 I Want You To Love Me
      8 Fetch the Bolt Cutters
      9 Relay
      10 Newspaper
      11 Ladies
      12 For Her
      13 On I Go

A Solid ****1/2 (only for missing a ballad).
      ENJOY HERE
      UKMIX Retro Charts Records - First AND Second Cycle! Year-End charts, Records and more...

Comment

It seems like radio has chosen Shameika as the single, already get lots of airplay on alternative radio

Comment

I’m still not feeling it except for I Want You to Love Me and Newspaper.

Shameika is also okay and a good single choice.

i still can’t remember how the rest sounds tbh. But it’s ok, her albums take their time with me, The Idler Wheel was the only one which was a bit more instant.
          last.fm

Comment

This is "only" the second highest rated album on Metacritic now by the way. Its score dropped to 98.
            Britney Spears Janet Jackson Christina Aguilera Michael Jackson Selena Gomez Hilary Duff Taylor Swift Justin Timberlake

Comment

It was named the third best album of 2020 by TIME Magazine:

3. Fetch the Bolt Cutters, Fiona Apple

The first track on Fetch the Bolt Cutters is titled “I Want You To Love Me.” But Apple, it turns out, has ditched any desire for public approval. Rightly so: decades into a career during which she’s been both hailed as a critical darling and regarded with confusion, this album displays the art of a woman shedding preconceptions, baring her teeth—and her insecurities—and finding catharsis in the process of creation. Recorded entirely in her Venice Beach home with a small circle of trusted friends and collaborators, there is a homegrown intimacy and sense of discovery in each track, whether it’s the bark of a dog or a handclap or the rattle of percussion banged out on items found around the house. Over its course, Apple trades in steely irony, glittering resentment and musical experimentation, wielding humor as she levels her gaze on friends, exes and long-lost acquaintances alike. The freedom she’s unlocked is potent—as is her rage, targeted here at the people and structures that made her life as a celebrity untenable and her experience of womanhood punishing. But no longer. “Kick me under the table all that you want, I won’t shut up,” she insists brightly on “Under the Table,” a line that’s both a refusal to be silenced and a rallying cry for any listener who needs the reminder. Apple wrote an album of love songs to strength and self-determination, sharpening her own voice in the process.—RB

https://time.com/5915313/best-albums-2020/
              Britney Spears Janet Jackson Christina Aguilera Michael Jackson Selena Gomez Hilary Duff Taylor Swift Justin Timberlake

Comment

Bravo, Fiona!!
                "You don't have to be perfect but you have to be 100% committed." Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez | My last.fm

Comment

The 50 Best Albums of 2020

#2 Fiona Apple, 'Fetch the Bolt Cutters'

Fiona Apple has always thrived on defying expectations, from telling pop stans that the world was bullshit to taking years (and years) to perfect her alt-rock operettas. But no one could have expected the audacity of Fetch the Bolt Cutters, or the way Apple expresses her independent spirit over an orchestra of drums, percussion, barks, and meows. She leaps ahead of the “VIPs, PYTs, and wannabes” on the title track (“I’ve always been too smart for that”), seeks friendship with a woman dating her ex (“Ladies”), and reflects on how one person telling her she had potential was the spark she needed as a kid (“Shameika”). When she sings, “Kick me under the table all you want, I won’t shut up,” on “Under the Table,” she means it, because this is potential fulfilled. —K.G.
                  https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...tters-1096817/

Comment

The 50 Best Songs of 2020

#8 Fiona Apple, 'Ladies'

Fiona Apple’s Fetch the Bolt Cutters was a career triumph in many ways, and nowhere is that more apparent than on “Ladies,” an imaginary love letter to an ex’s “revolving door” of new girlfriends. It’s a heart-to-heart that is as sincere as it is wryly funny: Apple has never sounded more sure of herself than when she lists off all the leftover baggage, literally and figuratively, that she’s left behind for her old flame’s new beau. C.S.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...tters-1097459/

Comment

The 50 Best Albums of 2020: Staff Picks

7. Fiona Apple, Fetch the Bolt Cutters

In a finale episode of crime drama The Fall, the detective protagonist deadpans “fetch the bolt cutters” before entering a house where a girl has been tortured. It’s not outlandish that the line moved Fiona Apple enough to title her fifth album after it: Since her brilliant 1996 debut Tidal, the venerated singer-songwriter has been ridiculed nearly as much as she’s been praised for her image, her age, the vulnerability of her lyrics and her refusal to take anyone’s bulls--t. But Apple fetches the damn bolt cutters herself on her first album since 2012, tackling all her old demons with a new sense of levity -- tracing her own past from the rollicking “Shameika,” in which she recalls a schoolmate telling her she “had potential,” to the woozy “Ladies,” an olive branch extended to the exes of her exes which verges on laugh-out-loud funny. It's all delivered with an intricate patchwork of textures, the result of Apple using unusual objects (including a dead dog’s bones) as instruments, and leaving random background noises in her recordings. It’s the loose title track which lays her message bare, with lyricism as precise and vivid as ever: “I grew up in the shoes they told me I could fill/ Shoes that were not made for running up that hill... Fetch the bolt cutters, I've been in here too long." -- T.C.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/n...ms-2020-top-50

Comment

Still cannot get into this album at all, so far it’s my least fave from her. That said, I’m so happy for her success with it, she deserves it.
                        last.fm

Comment

The 10 best albums of 2020: Taylor Swift, Fiona Apple, more

2. Fiona Apple, “Fetch the Bolt Cutters”
                          It takes a master of texture to make a record that sounds like it’s falling apart — and a person of extreme emotional fortitude to make one that digs up so much trauma. After an eight-year break during which her legend only grew, Apple returned right as the world was tipping into chaos; nothing about the music suggests she was surprised.
                          https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...albums-of-2020

Comment

Has to be the most overrated album of the year, really don't get the hype.

Comment

It’s such a progression from The Idler Wheel..!! It most definitely ranks as her third best album for me.

#1 When The Pawn...
                              #2 Tidal
                              #3 Fetch The Bolt Cutters
                              #4 Extraordinary Machine
                              #5 The Idler Wheel...
                              "You don't have to be perfect but you have to be 100% committed." Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez | My last.fm

Comment

My rank would be:
                                #1 Tidal
                                #2 The Idler Wheel...
                                #3 When The Pawn...
                                #4 Extraordinary Machine
                                #5 Fetch The Bolt Cutters

though 2-4 is a bit interchangeable depending on the phase I'm in. Tidal firmly stays the fave
                                last.fm

Comment

She's great. Fetch the bolt cutters is one of my favs this year

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...e_iOSApp_Other

Comment

Working...
                                  X