Maria Mena - They Never Leave Their Wives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maria Mena - They Never Leave Their Wives

Norwegian singer-songwriter Maria Mena finally returns with her eighth studio album called They Never Leave Their Wives this Fall! The first single is called Not Ok and will be released on the 24th April 2020.

I think she never had an entire album that convinced me. However, you can pick a few great songs from each era.

Cause And Effect and Apparently Unaffected remain her peak eras for me personally.
    YOU KNOW ME, I JUST DON'T STOP. | My last.fm

Comment

I loved "Viktoria" and "Weapon In Mind" a lot as whole albums so I kinda disagree there. But even the albums that didn't connect with me as whole albums had huge highlights, so I agree with that.

Really looking forward to new Maria. It's been too long!

Comment

The second single came out on Friday. It's not as instant as "Not OK" though.

Comment

The new album will be released in September. Maria replied to a comment on her Instagram profile about this. Here is the link: https://www.instagram.com/p/CDikCovh3pL/?igshid=1qne1q2ck2apt. I hope that means that there will come more information from the record company soon.

Comment

What is the title supposed to mean? Is she a homewrecker?

Comment

Debs_Wild The title is taken from the single "Lies (They Never Leave Their Wives)" where she sings "Hardest ever lesson learned / They never leave their wives" in the second verse. Maria was a guest at the Norwegian podcast Ida med hjertet i hånden (Ida with her heart in the hand) earlier this year, in April. Maria spoke about being in a relationship with a married man who promised he would leave his wife except he never did.

Comment

Originally posted by unapologeticfalling View Post
                Debs_Wild The title is taken from the single "Lies (They Never Leave Their Wives)" where she sings "Hardest ever lesson learned / They never leave their wives" in the second verse. Maria was a guest at the Norwegian podcast Ida med hjertet i hånden (Ida with her heart in the hand) earlier this year, in April. Maria spoke about being in a relationship with a married man who promised he would leave his wife except he never did.
                Why did she engage in a relationship with someone who is married? That's an awful thing to do, IMO.

Comment

Debs_Wild I am not Maria and so I cannot know her reasons.

In other words - this Friday a new song from They Never Leave Their Wives will be released, it's called "You Live and You Learn". It's one of the songs that she performed during her concert in Amsterdam last year.

Also she said in an interview with Norwegian newspaper VG that she has made a second new album, coming in early 2021. It is about living alone and finding yourself and then love happens. We don't know the title for this second new album yet.

Comment

Excited for the new song.

Do we have an official release date for this album btw?

Comment

Maria said on her Instagram that the album will be released in September. I haven't been able to find an exact release date though. I keep refreshing the website of Platekompaniet (Norwegian record store) to find more information but it just says "expected release 2020".

Comment

Originally posted by unapologeticfalling View Post
                        Maria said on her Instagram that the album will be released in September. I haven't been able to find an exact release date though. I keep refreshing the website of Platekompaniet (Norwegian record store) to find more information but it just says "expected release 2020".
                        Thank you. September was what I remember as well, but I also couldn't find more informations, that's why I asked. So there really is no exact date. Hopefully she sticks to September, her music always works so well during Fall for me

Comment

All of her tour dates this year are postponed until next year but the first concert was supposed to be on November 11th. So I think they must have planned for a release before November 11th. We'll see how it goes I also connect her music to the fall.

Comment

Update: Maria posted on her Instagram stories that the album will be released in October. So that is October 2nd at the earliest.

Comment

That title though... Jane Austin novel anyone?
                              YOU KNOW ME, I JUST DON'T STOP. | My last.fm

Comment

Is this title isn't the damn truth.

Comment

The three singles released so far, are quite nice but not as good as most of her previous work. I'm still waiting for a new 'Just Hold Me', 'Homeless' or 'Habits' from her.
                                  Big.Big.Booty.

Comment

Glad to have a final release date now, but I agree with Benjamin when it comes to the singles so far. Plus each new release is weaker to me than the previous one. I already didn't feel her last album as much as I felt her other albums, so I'm low-key worried

Comment

Maria has been working with two new producers this time around, Anders Nilsen and Olav Tronsmoen. It seems, based on the three singles, that they haven't managed to bring something new to her sound. Ever since Weapon in Mind I have the impression that she sometimes repeats a pattern in her lyrics (such as repeating a line in a song for example). Not that that is always a bad thing, but it is just something I have noticed.

I do appreciate reading discussions of Maria's songs, all kinds of opinions. That helps me understand better what I'm drawn to and not so drawn to when it comes to her music.

Myself I didn't really like "Not OK" despite the lyrics being meaningful. It is a nice song but it doesn't sound like a single to me. I was expecting a song like "Leaving You" and "Not OK" is not like that at all in my opinion. "Lies (They Never Leave Their Wives)" is hard to define, some days I appreciate it and other days it seems bland. "You Live and You Learn" is a song that I play more than ten times a day because I like the mood it puts me in. It reminds me of "The Baby" and "Growing Pains", and it isn't a typical single, but I still like it. It's also a song that clearly shows the kind of pattern that Maria uses for ballads, which people might easily get tired of.

It seems "Not OK" has the biggest streaming numbers of the three singles. So we will see how it goes when the album is here. It is a long time that has passed, taking five years to release a new album.

Comment

Working...
                                      X