Katy Perry - Smile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

In your opinion. I think it is an excellent pop album. You don't understand that music can be divisive and some will love what you may hate ? Really ?
    However critics are supposed to be subjective and that 20/100 is simply a hate review. I don't have any issues with the other ones.
    Can you stop pretending to be mother Theresa of this board? You have been a hater for ages and people aren't buying your current act.
    That's called hypocrisy.

Comment

• Lyrically she recycles every possible cliché. Some examples:

- women can do anything, even in high heels
      - crying on the dancefloor
      - get laid in order to get over someone

It feels very ‚heard it all before‘ to me.

This being sad, she executed some of it quite well.
      YOU KNOW ME, I JUST DON'T STOP. | My last.fm

Comment

• Originally posted by Loose View Post
        Lyrically she recycles every possible cliché. Some examples:

And this is exactly what most reviewers complain about... Even if the album is catchy and has its good moments, the arrangements and lyrics are clichéd af.
        “A sure way to lose happiness, I found, is to want it at the expense of everything else.” - Bette Davis

Comment

• I love this

I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Comment

• Liked it on first listen.
            My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• Originally posted by Hejira View Post

Can you stop pretending to be mother Theresa of this board? You have been a hater for ages and people aren't buying your current act.
              That's called hypocrisy.
              Weren't you the one who came to Madonna GAD thread and mocked her plastic surgeries? Don't act like you're saint yourself.
              Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by Loose View Post
                Lyrically she recycles every possible cliché. Some examples:

I do agree that some of the lyrics are a bit redundant, but I found the lyrics on Witness worse. Hey Hey Hey for example was lyrically terrible.
                Also she definitely overdid the whole putting a brave face on while you want to cry theme but overall it did not detract from my enjoyment of the songs.

Comment

• I don't know why some of you expect deep and heavy lyrics from a Katy Perry album.
                  Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by nympho View Post
                    On 1st listen I liked the album.
                    More than Witness. 65/100 for me.
                    Just what I was expecting, a nice pop album.

Out of the singles she has released, I liked most of them. Can't understand the hate for "Smile". It's pure Katy. I love it. NRO is a bop.
                    "Daisies" is probably one of the weakest tracks on the album for me... I still can't stand her squeaking in the chorus.

From the rest of the album tracks, on first listen I liked "Cry about it later", "Teary Eyes" and specially "Not the end of the world" (although it sounds tooooo similar to Black Widow, which Katy co-wrote). As I said the other day, and thousands of tweets agree, "What makes a woman" verses are a blatant copy of The Climb. And one of the weakest songs on the album.

I'll buy the deluxe CD (as I, unlike most people, really like Small Talk) once it's cheaper (€22 right now in my country..)

Regarding the critics... yes, it's funny seeing some people with the "I don't care about critics" and then moan about the bad reviews for pages.
                    And I don't think it's one of those cases where the critics simply don't like the artist or it's cool to hate him/her and they give a bad review without even talking about the album at all (as it happened with most of Artpop's critics, for example, focused on her persona or success, and not her music).
                    The Clash 20/100 review is harsh... but at least the critic has listened to the album and explained why she/he didn't like it in detail.

I was enjoying your review until I got to the last paragraph - why do you always feel the need to shade me or make reference with your little drags about what I said? I haven't been complaining for pages about the critics, I gave out about ONE Ridiculously harsh review. Which was the 20/100 which anyone being subjective will agree is completely and obviously biased, I totally get the ones in the 40s from people who just did not like the album.

Comment

• Originally posted by KEY9481 View Post

Never a good sign when you have to use the discount card on release day, right?
                      Well predictions were revealed and this is predicted to open with 50K-60K SPS units.

.. So yeah, I guess people in Capitol are looking for ways to deal with this.
                      Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Comment

• I LOVE the album! I really don’t get what people are fussing about, but to each their own. I find it very fun, pop, dance, catchy, it’s a fun album! ‘Teary Eyes’ and ‘Tucked’ NEED to be singles!

Comment

• Well that fan edition is now sold out.
                          “B**** come here! B**** come here! B**** come here!”

“I’m staying right here.”

Comment

• My Review: 75/100

01 - 5/10 - Never Really Over :: A tad bit bland at the beginning, but it builds up and I like the beat production towards the middle.
                            02 - 9,5/10 - Cry about it Later :: An exciting production. I like that the melody is darker and I love the dance beat, the chorus is infectious.
                            03 - 7/10 - Teary Eyes :: It sounds so fresh and modern. I love the synth piano. A great dancefloor bop.
                            04 - 10/10 - Daisies :: It's so dramatic and theatrical. Her vocal performance is actually great. I love the melody. A perfect pop ballad.
                            05 - 6/10 - Resilient :: The melody production could be stronger. The raindrop strings are cute. I wish the song would go somewhere.
                            06 - 7/10 - What a dramatic entry into the song. Love it. The beat is cool. The sample fits perfectly.
                            07 - 5/10 - Smile :: It's the most boring song on the album tbh. I'm not sure why this was chosen as a single. It sounds like a Teenage Dream rip-off. I mean it's good for the background while cleaning.
                            08 - 6,5/10 - Champagne Problems :: Another dancefloor anthem. I like the echo-effect on her vocals and the rhythm of the song.
                            09 - 7/10 - Tucked :: Those synth-keys... aww. I adore them. It's such a carefree song. I love the chorus.
                            10 - 8/10 - Harkleys in Hawaii :: I have no idea why this wasn't a #1 single tbh. That guitar intro... the vibe... it's a song for warm summer nights. Such a flirty song, perfect for mating.
                            11 - 9/10 - Only Love :: Ever since Fireworks she knows how to deliver a ballad. Another gem - this is. The melody is strong, the production is amazing... i love the lazy beat.
                            12 - 7,5/10 - What Makes a Woman :: I'm always here for an acoustic song. It's the song with the strongest message. A nice closing track. A sweet song.

InFamous

At least we love the album. <3
                            My Chart

Comment

• Nice review stevyy

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post
                                Nice review stevyy
                                Yassss! we cry about them reviews later... let's enjoy the music first. I hope she is going to put the deluxe version of the album on Spotify soon. I need to listen to the bonus tracks.

ATRL is so toxic at the moment and people are so fake-outraged about the sales projection... and I know one person who is a member here who is using this as some sort of validation of why the music on Smile is shite and why that hateful Clash review is right.

It's so dumb - the situation I mean. I'm not even the biggest Katy stan under sun and love the album... but ever since Witness, Katy really won me over... (well it started with Roar which I love).

I hope Katy doesn't get discouraged by the fakeness of the industry and other people's fans and continues to grace us with her infectious pop smashes.
                                My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post

Yassss! we cry about them reviews later... let's enjoy the music first. I hope she is going to put the deluxe version of the album on Spotify soon. I need to listen to the bonus tracks.

ATRL is so toxic at the moment and people are so fake-outraged about the sales projection... and I know one person who is a member here who is using this as some sort of validation of why the music on Smile is shite and why that hateful Clash review is right.

It's so dumb - the situation I mean. I'm not even the biggest Katy stan under sun and love the album... but ever since Witness, Katy really won me over... (well it started with Roar which I love).

I hope Katy doesn't get discouraged by the fakeness of the industry and other people's fans and continues to grace us with her infectious pop smashes.
                                  LOL, people knew perfectly well she was gonna have tragic sales for this album. Despite her doing all she could there was zero buzz. It wasn't rocket science that the numbers were going to be poor. That other site is a cesspool of hate, who has the time or energy to get involved in that..

The bonus tracks are just Small Talk, two versions of Daisies and a new song called High on Your Supply. It's a nice little track!

It's on youtube already.

Comment

• The album is gold and will age well but not groundbreaking
                                    Forever Young

Comment

• Originally posted by Angeman View Post
                                      Its a cute pop album. Sometimes you just need a lighthearted catchy album.
                                      I agree that is why. I think this will age well because it is such an easy listen
                                      Forever Young

Comment

• Still haven't listened to the album, but this thread is fun to read. Probably more fun than the actual record.

Originally posted by spiritboy View Post

Weren't you the one who came to Madonna GAD thread and mocked her plastic surgeries? Don't act like you're saint yourself.
                                        I have received many gifts from God,
                                        but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

• A few spins later I like this and found my personal faves: Not The End Of The World, Cry About It Later, What Makes A Woman and Harleys In Hawaii. Not Really Over probably comes fifth. I hope one of the first two will get a proper release as I think they have the biggest hit potential from what is left.

Comment

• Cry About It Later is my favorite one. I don't understand the hate, it's s cute poor record.
                                            Haven't been early since '88

Comment

• Originally posted by mattsky View Post
                                              Cry About It Later is my favorite one. I don't understand the hate, it's s cute poor record.
                                              Considering the fact that she’s been in the industry for quite a while, I personally think she could try a bit harder.

Then again, that’s just my opinion. There are enough people who love Katy Perry for what she is. personally, I think she was better in the past.
                                              YOU KNOW ME, I JUST DON'T STOP. | My last.fm

Comment

• Well, just as I expected.
                                                A meh album.
                                                NRO and HIH remain the best tracks off the album for me.

I really don't see the appeal of Cry about it later.
                                                Last edited by SawyerHewitt; Sun August 30, 2020, 11:40.
                                                Just a DEVIANT, PERTURBED, DERANGED, MACABRE, MANIAC, LUNATIC, IRRATIONAL PSYCHO-TO-BE.

Comment

• I listened to this a second time today and i already like it more than Chromatica. So far FN remains my fave pop album but Smile is a serious threat to the crown. Great Job Katheryn, keep up the good work!
                                                  Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• This may be one of the least memorable pop albums released of the past year maybe even the last few years for me. I gave it a few more spins but I hardly can memorize any songs beside NRO and Harley's In Hawaii. May be my least fav. album she released in the long run.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X