No announcement yet.

Katy Perry - Smile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three songs in the UKMIX chart. Curious to see if there will be more next week.

https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...7#post10456842
    My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• I honestly do feel like this was a "lemme just put this out" album. For the record label and because it's been a minute.

It's not bad at all, but after settling in....it's definitely her worst and most...uninspired.

That being said, is it a bad album...absolutely not. Far from it. It's just a decent pop album.

I thought I'd like Prism less (as I haven't played that album in a while...but I ran it back the other day and I was mistaken).

Comment

• Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
        I listened to this a second time today and i already like it more than Chromatica. So far FN remains my fave pop album but Smile is a serious threat to the crown. Great Job Katheryn, keep up the good work!
        I cannot understand why she released Daisies and then Smile when she had Cry about it Later and Tucked just like sitting there. I mean they were potentially top 20 hits, Tucked has that similar lightness and bounce to it that NRO had and CAIL is just epic. Daisies could have been a cute third single to close the era

Comment

• I am really loving Harleys in Hawaii, such a super chill song. Her vocals on the bridge are superb, like no other "basic pop" girl can hit and sustain notes like that.

I also love the way she re-arranged the song for the acoustic performance. An artist.
          Last edited by InFamous; Sun August 30, 2020, 17:29.

Comment

• Originally posted by ThaInfo1 View Post
            I honestly do feel like this was a "lemme just put this out" album. For the record label and because it's been a minute.

It's not bad at all, but after settling in....it's definitely her worst and most...uninspired.

That being said, is it a bad album...absolutely not. Far from it. It's just a decent pop album.

I thought I'd like Prism less (as I haven't played that album in a while...but I ran it back the other day and I was mistaken).
            i agree. Funny I thought that this morning. She said during one of her in home interviews there was already no plans to tour for this album when they decided to plan to put it out and then when the pandemic hit she made the joke “no more FOMO for me, if I can’t tour, you all can’t tour.”

my hope is they saved the best songs to put another album out when the pandemic is over and tour for that
            B**** come here! B**** come here! B**** come here!

Im staying right here.

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

I cannot understand why she released Daisies and then Smile when she had Cry about it Later and Tucked just like sitting there. I mean they were potentially top 20 hits, Tucked has that similar lightness and bounce to it that NRO had and CAIL is just epic. Daisies could have been a cute third single to close the era
              She released Daisies because of her daughter i guess. And Smile is the title track. She proves she's not chasing for hits by making great songs album tracks. She serves the best visuals though, none of her peers come close to her.
              Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by Mikerocha View Post

i agree. Funny I thought that this morning. She said during one of her in home interviews there was already no plans to tour for this album when they decided to plan to put it out and then when the pandemic hit she made the joke “no more FOMO for me, if I can’t tour, you all can’t tour.”

my hope is they saved the best songs to put another album out when the pandemic is over and tour for that
                She could literally release a deluxe version with "Smile - the quarantine performances" in a few months and tack on an extra track or two
                I have really enjoyed her acoustic performances.

Comment

I think smile is better than both tucked and cry about it later

Comment

• Originally posted by ThaInfo1 View Post
                    I honestly do feel like this was a "lemme just put this out" album. For the record label and because it's been a minute.

Words of wisdom from sis
                    YOU KNOW ME, I JUST DON'T STOP. | My last.fm

Comment

• Smile, Champagne Problems, Tucked and Harleys In Hawaii, this row of songs gets me every time. Best part of the album.
                      I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Comment

• Champagne Problems
                        5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

• Originally posted by Angeman View Post

I think smile is better than both tucked and cry about it later
                          We shall respectly agree to strongly disagree ! Although I do like Smile, the song , also.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erotica View Post
                            Smile, Champagne Problems, Tucked and Harleys In Hawaii, this row of songs gets me every time. Best part of the album.
                            Bop after bop after bop then some chill out time with Harleys

Comment

• Tucked is so catchy.

I really had zero expectations from this album but it's great. Even Smile sounds great on the album.
                              Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• There are some very good songs in here; They should have released Cry About It Later as the official single after the truly iconic Never Really Over. Unfortunately her team messed up this release beyond words; i dont get it how such crucial release for Katy could have been mishandled this way; they used their resources and promotions all in a wrong channel at a wrong timeframe. Shame.
                                Been reading UkMix everyday for well more than a decade now, and Here I am posting

Comment

• Any ideas when CP video was filmed? She has no baby bump in here; actually its full of ABBA’s 80s visual references. I quite liked the video despite its simplicity.
                                  Been reading UkMix everyday for well more than a decade now, and Here I am posting

Comment

• Originally posted by oaknuys View Post
                                    There are some very good songs in here; They should have released Cry About It Later as the official single after the truly iconic Never Really Over. Unfortunately her team messed up this release beyond words; i dont get it how such crucial release for Katy could have been mishandled this way; they used their resources and promotions all in a wrong channel at a wrong timeframe. Shame.
                                    She may not have had CAIL recorded until much much later. But I agree, if that was done and she lelt it sitting on the shelf ..

Comment

• What a strong album! My highlights are Cry About It Later, Teary Eyes, Not the End of the World, Tucked & Only Love.

Comment

• I’m a big Katy fan so I made the point of giving this album a good few listens this weekend to try and gather my opinions.
                                        In short, it’s really hit and miss for me.

To start, I’m uncertain as to what song the record label thought was going to be the ‘big hit’ from this album because, in my opinion, it’s lacking in single-worthy material.

The only songs I would’ve considered strong enough to push as singles are Never Really Over and Daisies and, even at that, I wouldn’t have even forecast Top 10 (well...they didn’t get Top 10 in the end anyway). Daisies has REALLY grown on me over time and I really think if Taylor had’ve released this, it would’ve got there. For me, Daisies is very Unconditionally.

The other songs I think make good album tracks (but not singles) are Cry About It Later, Teary Eyes, Not the End of the World, Harleys in Hawaii and Only Love (Only Love could be improved with a Westlife-esque key change towards the end.

The rest I consider filler and don’t really like at the minute. I’m disappointed overall, though there are some nice points.

1. Teenage Dream
                                        2. Prism
                                        3. One of the Boys
                                        4. Witness
                                        5. Smile

Unpopular opinion: I still love Small Talk!!!

Comment

• I will say these videos are super cute and make me like the songs more.

Comment

• I absolutely love the video series! So cute!
                                            Haven't been early since '88

Comment

She may not have had CAIL recorded until much much later. But I agree, if that was done and she lelt it sitting on the shelf ..
                                              You a have a good point indeed; hope she returns to promote CAIL in a decent fashion to give album a good strong push.

Comment

• Originally posted by oaknuys View Post

You a have a good point indeed; hope she returns to promote CAIL in a decent fashion to give album a good strong push.
                                                That would be amazing, but I will be surprised if this era is not pretty much done in three weeks.

Comment

That would be amazing, but I will be surprised if this era is not pretty much done in three weeks.
                                                  Hopefully that will be the case; Katy’s a fighter.

Comment

• Surprisingly I’ve quite enjoyed this album! I wasn’t even going to listen to it until I read the comments on here.

The singles have been a CHOICE! Smile, Daisies and What Makes a Woman are definitely the weakest on this album (with Resilient). NRO & HIH are bops

CAIL is the hit but I like Teary Eyed and Tucked as well.
                                                    You say that I must eat so many lemons, cos I am so Bitt-er

Comment

Working...
                                                    X