No announcement yet.

Katy Perry - Smile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the album is indeed decent, it's harmless. The biggest problem just staysthe imagery and album aesthetics and way it is marketed now. The whole Clown concept just doesn't fits most of the album. The album also kinda misses the obvious hits, Never Really Over is the strongest track imo. and that says a lot.
    I think she either should have stuck with the 70s/hippie vibe she had going on or even settle for the more vintage approach she took for Never Worn White and Daisies.

Comment

• ^ I really don't like the Clown thing either. If she wanted to convey that she was using a smile to hide her pain or something like that there was surely a better way to convey that concept image wize.

Comment

• Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
        What were you guys expecting, an experimental masterpiece?

I expect a basic pop album so i'll enjoy it probably when i listen to it.
        Exactly, I mean Katy makes basic pop music. Were people expecting her to pull a Bjork ?

Comment

• She’s always been a critically panned artist. No one was expecting anything.
          Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Comment

• Smile is currently doing well on metacritic - generally favourable reviews so far. A 67 from Entertainment Weekly. Great start.

( Not that critics particularly matter )

Comment

• 4 reviews so far. 64/100 too early to make conclusions.

We won’t know it’s final score until critics end submitting their reviews (which is a process that takes around 2 weeks).
              Last edited by MrLeonix; Wed August 26, 2020, 19:07.
              Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post
                Smile is currently doing well on metacritic - generally favourable reviews so far. A 67 from Entertainment Weekly. Great start.

( Not that critics particularly matter )
                This will be a panned album. Usually the best reviews come out first. And she has never been a critical darling, so of course she wasn't getting got reviews. It' not like the singles so far were acclaimed to set the bar for her first album with good to great reviews. That being said this is shaping to be her first true flop on every level - at least she had some commercial success before.
                I have received many gifts from God,
                but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

• Originally posted by beredy View Post

This will be a panned album. Usually the best reviews come out first. And she has never been a critical darling, so of course she wasn't getting got reviews. It' not like the singles so far were acclaimed to set the bar for her first album with good to great reviews. That being said this is shaping to be her first true flop on every level - at least she had some commercial success before.

Luckily I don't worry about critical acclaim or focus too much on chart success. I just enjoy the music I do. I expect to like some of this, expect to think some of it it trash, like Never Wore White and Not makes a woman for example.

At the moment, it's at generally favourable, which it what I posted. Feel free to add a follow on update later when it is panned though.

Comment

Luckily I don't worry about critical acclaim or focus too much on chart success. I just enjoy the music I do. I expect to like some of this, expect to think some of it it trash, like Never Wore White and Not makes a woman for example.

At the moment, it's at generally favourable, which it what I posted. Feel free to add a follow on update later when it is panned though.
                    Yet you probably have hundreds of posts in the Smile charts and sales thread. Makes sense.

Anyway looks like this will end up being yet another panned album from Miss Perry.

Comment

• Cool new visual for Never Really over released today. I wonder will she do something new Daisies also.

Comment

• MrLeonix
                        MrLeonix commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Already posted on the previous page.

• InFamous
                        InFamous commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Don't forget to stream.

• I got into temptation and listened to Only Love. It was so emotional.

Let me leave this world with the hate behind me
                      And take the love instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by PopFan View Post
                        I got into temptation and listened to Only Love. It was so emotional.

Let me leave this world with the hate behind me
                        And take the love instead.
                        Have you heard " Cry about it Later" ? The electric guitar

Sounds amazing on good speakers. Great track.

Comment

Have you heard " Cry about it Later" ?

Sounds amazing on good speakers. Great track.
                          I wont listen more, it is just literally one day left and some hours.

Comment

I wont listen more, it is just literally one day left and some hours.
                            True true, I'll be streaming non stop on Friday anyway

Comment

• Seems as if the version of Smile on the album features Diddy ? He was on the one I heard and the quality was good.

Comment

Seems as if the version of Smile on the album features Diddy ? He was on the one I heard and the quality was good.
                                I read online some vinyls were created with the Diddy version. In Mexico, some stations played that version. Still, dont know why he was left out. ?

The title track is kinda bad to be honest, it is too much in your face song.

Comment

I read online some vinyls were created with the Diddy version. In Mexico, some stations played that version. Still, dont know why he was left out. ?

The title track is kinda bad to be honest, it is too much in your face song.
                                  I like Smile, it grew on me. Looking forward to read your review once this is out

Comment

I like Smile, it grew on me. Looking forward to read your review once this is out
                                    NRO: 10/10
                                    HIH: 8/10
                                    Daisies: 9/10
                                    Smile: 5/10

I will review the rest when the official is out with commentary on each.

Comment

Seems as if the version of Smile on the album features Diddy ? He was on the one I heard and the quality was good.
                                      Some versions or formats will have Diddy on Smile and others not. Weird strategy. Maybe he'll be on Explicit versions of the album?
                                      Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by spiritboy View Post

Some versions or formats will have Diddy on Smile and others not. Weird strategy. Maybe he'll be on Explicit versions of the album?
                                        I don't remember him cursing in his part ? Tbh it doesn't add anything to it. I would prefer the solo version.

Comment

• So far nothing catches my attention besides Cry About it Later, but still not something that makes me go wow.
                                          “B**** come here! B**** come here! B**** come here!”

“I’m staying right here.”

Comment

• Ive only listened once but its perfectly fine album. Some good some ok. No doubt more will grow on me because I'll defo listen again
                                            Love you like a love song!

Comment

• Originally posted by BehindBreakaway View Post
                                              Ive only listened once but its perfectly fine album. Some good some ok. No doubt more will grow on me because I'll defo listen again
                                              IT gets off to a really strong start with NRO, Cry about it later ( that electric guitar) and Teary eyed, overall it is a very good album.

Comment

• It’s a decent pop album.

Comment

• Can't believe she released Daisies and then Smile when she had Tucked and Cry about it later sitting on the album. Both excellent pop songs.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X