Kylie Minogue - Disco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by esswein View Post
    After a few weeks of a break, I listened again this album and realized that it's Kylie's best since 'Aphrodite'. It's very cohesive, even the bonus tracks are just stunning. She's in a very creative modd and receiving such goodwill since Golden era, I'm so happy for her.
    Tbh, i can't stand the bonus tracks except maybe "Spotlight". However, the main body of work is really great! Kylie DELIVERED!
    And the 8th day God created KYLIE!!! <3

Comment

• She really delivered. It's definitely one of the best Pop releases of the year, along with Dua and Katy.
      Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by esswein View Post
        After a few weeks of a break, I listened again this album and realized that it's Kylie's best since 'Aphrodite'. It's very cohesive, even the bonus tracks are just stunning. She's in a very creative modd and receiving such goodwill since Golden era, I'm so happy for her.
        I hope she gets to tour the album, because I agree. A club tour + festivals 2022 seems like a decent plan.
        This superstar in the making
        Tonight she's yours for the taking

Sarah Harding - Too Bad

Comment

• Imagine she released an album like this after her Fever album

The way she would be ten times more huge back then. But she took the riskier road releasing Body Language, which we love her for.

Comment

• From Music Week's latest issue.

BMG’s Alistair Norbury has spoken about the success of the Kylie Minogue campaign and the company’s streaming performance.

Speaking in the all-new monthly Music Week, BMG UK’s president of repertoire and marketing reflected on how the reshaped roster - including breakthrough star KSI - is boosting the company on DSPs.

According to Official Charts Company data, the No.4 music company grew track streams by 25% year-on-year in 2020 compared to market growth of 18%. BMG racked up 1.58 billion streams last year.

“We have ambitions to continue the streaming growth,” said Norbury. “The type of acts and flavour of the roster will continue to include a healthy mix of the established, iconic artists that we’re known for. But after KSI’s success, there’s a strong appetite to start being more consistent and not have sporadic single hits. So there will be more coming in that lane.”

Kylie Minogue has grown her streaming presence, with almost seven million monthly listeners on Spotify. Norbury said Minogue has a “hunger” for further success following three consecutive No.1 records since she signed to the company.

“There is a hunger,” he said. “There’s going to be more repertoire coming. This record lends itself very nicely to remixes, features and collaborations.

“We partnered on the successful livestream [Infinite Disco] that we did with Driift. We’re looking at ways that we can maintain this campaign all through the year. There are a lot more ideas to come - and many of them, creatively, come from the artist, which is very exciting.”

Disco was the No.33 album overall in 2020 with sales of 112,916 (including 9,304 from streams), according to the Official Charts Company. Globally, Minogue’s streaming on this album has grown considerably in markets including Brazil, Mexico and France.

“For Kylie, the worldwide streams on this album are at about three times the rate of the previous record, Golden. So last year was about, ‘Can you grow an artist to the next level?’” After the huge success we had with Kylie and Golden, and then with the best of [2019’s Step Back In Time], to continue that trajectory upwards was terrific.”

Norbury suggested that Disco was the right kind of album at the right moment during the pandemic.

“It dropped at the time when an up-tempo, feelgood record was what people needed – and you saw that with the Dua Lipa record and various other records,” he told Music Week. “So there was momentum.”

While the campaign had to adjust to the pandemic, Norbury said that digital marketing ultimately helped deliver stronger comparative sales than Golden in 2018.

“There is a big question mark over how we’re going to go back to marketing and promoting music internationally [after Covid],” he said. “Because we’re successfully seeing sales increase without artists necessarily having to fly around the world and be everywhere at once, which is good.”

Norbury also highlighted the momentum created by three No.1 campaigns from Minogue in the last three years.

“Being bold, going to Nashville and making the Golden album was exactly the right thing to do,” he said. “And then in 2019, playing Glastonbury [the legends slot] and releasing the greatest hits to have a second No.1 [with BMG]. The following year, it was about not leaving it too long [for the next album]. The lockdown almost forced her hand to crack on and do something in that time.”

Kylie Minogue’s label boss previously revealed to Music Week that she learned how to work with music software Logic in a home studio during the pandemic.

Norbury credited the “absolutely exceptional” work of the BMG team and A&P Artist Management on the Disco campaign.

“Kylie is absolutely directly involved on a daily basis with what’s happening,” he said. “Having now worked on three releases over three years, all of which have been No.1 albums, it means there’s a real confidence and trust in the team. She’s a wonderful artist to work with.”
            5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

• I'm glad she's having so much success after the dreadful Golden.
              Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• So good that they’re trying to push her as a streaming artist, you can definitely feel that this album has eclipsed Golden in terms of digital presence and the fact they’re expanding the era for the rest of 2021 is great. I’d love her to keep this momentum up and release in Q4 2022.

Comment

• Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
                  I'm glad she's having so much success after the dreadful Golden.
                  I much prefer Golden to Disco actually.

Sarah Harding - Too Bad

Comment

• I do too. As a whole, “Golden” is way better album than “Disco”. While I enjoy “Disco”, I don’t get the praise it got. It’s a solid, cohesive album, but apart from the singles and hopefully “Miss A Thing”, it maybe has one more song to offer. “Golden” had many more. Sadly they wasted “Lost Without You”.

Comment

• Yeah, I've also listened to the Golden songs more than Disco songs. I think they both have things to offer the listener, the Golden highlights are better but Disco is a bit more consistent and cohesive. I was a fan of the Country/Pop/Dance hybrid sound she had going on although the Disco sound is probably a better fit.

Comment

• I did love Golden but it didn’t feel very Kylie... this massively does.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thriller View Post
                          I did love Golden but it didn’t feel very Kylie... this massively does.
                          I don’t know that I agree entirely. Disco feels very ‘Kylie, Popstar’ but I think Golden is closer to where she’d like to be if she had her way.

Sarah Harding - Too Bad

Comment

• Originally posted by menime123 View Post

I don’t know that I agree entirely. Disco feels very ‘Kylie, Popstar’ but I think Golden is closer to where she’d like to be if she had her way.
                            I disagree back! I think Golden was something she got swept up in at the time and really wanted to do as a passion project (although still commercial so low risk) whereas Disco was her going back to her lane. I don’t think Kylie relinquishes much control, she could release an ambient album of just her and a didgeridoo and she’d still get a label to release it and people would buy it.

Comment

I disagree back! I think Golden was something she got swept up in at the time and really wanted to do as a passion project (although still commercial so low risk) whereas Disco was her going back to her lane. I don’t think Kylie relinquishes much control, she could release an ambient album of just her and a didgeridoo and she’d still get a label to release it and people would buy it.
                              In a lot of ways I think she’s tried to avoid disco as much as she can reasonably get away with ever since she left PWL. She knows it does well for her and that essentially it is her brand, I’m just not sold on it being where she necessarily wants to be (or at least not as much as fans want her to be).

The last 10 years have been pretty interesting to watch though as Kylie has been pretty directionless since Aphrodite. I’m not saying she didn’t give her all to every project, but she’s definitely struggled to renegotiate her place in the industry and where to go musically. She did a pop album, a Christmas album, a country album and now is back to doing a disco album. Where next? I always wish she had figured out how to do that jazz album she once teased.

All I know is that if Kylie was so enamoured with disco pop music as her fans like to think she is, it wouldn’t have taken her so long to get back to it (though there’s been the odd song along the way).

Sarah Harding - Too Bad

Comment

In a lot of ways I think she’s tried to avoid disco as much as she can reasonably get away with ever since she left PWL. She knows it does well for her and that essentially it is her brand, I’m just not sold on it being where she necessarily wants to be (or at least not as much as fans want her to be).

The last 10 years have been pretty interesting to watch though as Kylie has been pretty directionless since Aphrodite. I’m not saying she didn’t give her all to every project, but she’s definitely struggled to renegotiate her place in the industry and where to go musically. She did a pop album, a Christmas album, a country album and now is back to doing a disco album. Where next? I always wish she had figured out how to do that jazz album she once teased.

All I know is that if Kylie was so enamoured with disco pop music as her fans like to think she is, it wouldn’t have taken her so long to get back to it (though there’s been the odd song along the way).
                                I think she should have explored the Body Language sound more. That album has some of the best songs of her career. Chocolate, Slow, Red Blooded Woman, Secret. Of her "pop" albums the only one that I like as a complete project is the one after Light years. I adore Your Love. The rest of her albums I like only some tracks. Golden and Disco I didn't like that much or feel the need to go back to them. I played X to death but ive not listened to it in years. Golden was a bit of a bore for me but I adored this bonus track.

Comment

• Just giving Disco another spin and it sounds much better now that I remember before

Magic, Miss a Thing, Real Groove, Say Something, I love it. Dancefloor Darling are all pretty good tracks. Real Groove is really cool, dunno how i didnt notice it before.

Instant skips though - Monday Blues, Supernova, Last Chance, Where does the DJ go. Meh.

I think its a tad long though ? I have six more tracks to get through.

Comment

• Fans and GP seem to prefer Disco sound as increasing streaming numbers show. There are many people like me where Kylie lost fans with Golden but now won back with Disco album. I hope Golden is one sound she never repeats again.
                                    Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

Fans and GP seem to prefer Disco sound as increasing streaming numbers show. There are many people like me where Kylie lost fans with Golden but now won back with Disco album. I hope Golden is one sound she never repeats again.
                                      Or is it just a case that her fanbase has moved more forwards streaming?

Her streaming sales in the UK are still tiny and overall and Disco has sold less than Golden (and let’s face it, it’s unlikely to sell much more). Then there’s the fact that Kylie managed to get Dancing to #37 on the UK singles chart in 2018, but hasn’t managed to do the same for any of the singles from Disco.

Plus Golden outsold Kiss Me Once by tens of thousands in the UK - so how does that work in the narrative Kylie lost fans with Golden?

Overall I don’t disagree with you - I know Golden was marmite and Disco is absolutely where Kylie fans want Kylie to be sonically. But Golden gets a hard time unnecessarily I think.

Personally I think Golden was a great, grown-up album that Kylie needed to do. Music doesn’t have an age limit but I do think it was a deliberate attempt to show a maturer side to her that would appeal to her older audience.

Sarah Harding - Too Bad

Comment

• Well, what you've said isn't wrong but didn't she do tons of promo for Golden? Plus album sales are horrendous in UK so i'm glad Disco is another Gold record for her. Platinum is out of reach unfortunately.
                                        Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• I guess Disco’s sales may have been impacted by the pandemic, she did as much promo as she probably could but Golden and the Definitive Collection got a lot more promo, which I’m sure Disco would’ve equalled more - plus Golden had a tour, no idea yet if Disco will.

Magic and Say Something made the top 60 so she didn’t do too badly with singles.

Comment

• Yes, it’s a shame she couldn’t promote it more and she did really well considering. I do think a limited tour will happen though.

Sarah Harding - Too Bad

Comment

I guess Disco’s sales may have been impacted by the pandemic, she did as much promo as she probably could but Golden and the Definitive Collection got a lot more promo, which I’m sure Disco would’ve equalled more - plus Golden had a tour, no idea yet if Disco will.

Magic and Say Something made the top 60 so she didn’t do too badly with singles.
                                              I am always impressed with her able to effortlessly ( seemingly) go Gold in the UK this long into her career.

Comment

Well, what you've said isn't wrong but didn't she do tons of promo for Golden? Plus album sales are horrendous in UK so i'm glad Disco is another Gold record for her. Platinum is out of reach unfortunately.
                                                Well I mean Kylie hasnt had a platinum album since Aphrodite so Gold is a perfectly good result for her. Kiss me once only went Silver but all her three albums since have been Gold. She has been very consistent in sales.

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

She has been very consistent
                                                  That’s a good summary of Kylie really - consistent.

Sarah Harding - Too Bad

Comment

That’s a good summary of Kylie really - consistent.
                                                    Absolutely, she could easily have been an artist who faded after her fourth album. I do admire a lot the way she has kept her career going.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X