Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UKMIX Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums of the 2000s (#62 - #58 REVEALED!)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd never heard of Corinne Bailey Rae which is a bit embarrassing to admit as I consider myself the biggest R&B fan in the world.... Just listened now and I realised I have of course heard Put Your Records On, I just didn't know who sang it. It's not typically the type of thing I like tho so explains why I'm not familiar with her. She honestly gives me slight Lily Allen vibes but more soulful.

In Regards to Monica, I absolutely love her but The Makings Of Me is the album of hers I'm least familiar with and so it didn't make my 40.
    Last edited by sjm; Sat September 12, 2020, 17:39.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tomer_MC View Post
      ^Thanks. I guess it's not available for me, only the 1st single...I don't get it.
      Don't know where you live, but here (Netherlands) it isn't available either, just the first song.
      My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• I’m confused. What was R&B about Adele and Rihanna’s debut?
        | Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney | Tamia |

Comment

• Originally posted by sjm View Post
          I'd never heard of Corinne Bailey Rae which is a bit embarrassing to admit as I consider myself the biggest R&B fan in the world.... Just listened now and I realised I have of course heard Put Your Records On, I just didn't know who sang it. It's not typically the type of thing I like tho so explains why I'm not familiar with her. She honestly gives me slight Lily Allen vibes but more soulful.

In Regards to Monica, I absolutely love her but The Makings Of Me is the album of hers I'm least familiar with and so it didn't make my 40.
          At the same time oh her release, Toni also had Libra on the shelves. They both taught me that short albums can be good, subject to quality material on it. One of my favourite albums to be honest.
          | Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney | Tamia |

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post

Don't know where you live, but here (Netherlands) it isn't available either, just the first song.
            Israel. hi
            #mariahcarey #lambforlife

Comment

• Moni**a!!! The Makings of Me is my favorite album from her. Besides the first single, that album is literally the essence of the Goon. My only vote so far.

I used to DRAG Fantasy Ride, but in hindsight...it is now one of Ciara's ok albums.

Comment

• Originally posted by ThaInfo1 View Post
                Moni**a!!! The Makings of Me is my favorite album from her. Besides the first single, that album is literally the essence of the Goon.
                YESS.
                Alexa, play Hell No
                I can't believe I forgot two of my top fav albums, this and Full Moon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Preyoncé View Post
                  I’m confused. What was R&B about Adele and Rihanna’s debut?
                  Music of the Sun is basically all Dancehall & Reggae so it still falls under the 'Urban' music umbrella. Some of the slower songs there are R&B-ish as well.

I'd say her first two albums were Urban, hence why the Beyonce comparison was strong during those two eras until it stopped when her transformation began with Good Girl Gone Bad.
                  Last edited by abi; Sun September 13, 2020, 03:00.

Comment

• Adele's debut was kinda bordeline pop/soul
                    Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

• I liked the singles from Simply Deep a lot (Stole & Train on a Track are it) . Never listened to the full album though. My first pick appeared - I did expect Corinne to chart higher though. It's a really good debut but I guess people forgot about it as it fell 48 spots from last time this list was made.

Will we see albums that didn't make Top 100 abi?
                      I have received many gifts from God,
                      but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

• Originally posted by ThaInfo1 View Post
                        Moni**a!!! The Makings of Me is my favorite album from her. Besides the first single, that album is literally the essence of the Goon. My only vote so far.

I used to DRAG Fantasy Ride, but in hindsight...it is now one of Ciara's ok albums.
                        The lead single was rubbish. I don’t recognize it as the lead single. That album is perfection.

Comment

• If I knew, I would have voted for classic Rih

Comment

• Originally posted by beredy View Post
                            Will we see albums that didn't make Top 100 abi?
                            We'll see. Will probably do Bubbling Under when we're nearing the top 50. There's 1 particular album that I was so surprised didn't make it to the top 100.

Comment

• Moving on to our next performance. Performing her signature hit as well as one of the most iconic R&B songs of the 2000s. Ladies and gentleman, please welcome to the stage, one of the most beautiful women on the planet Amerie!

​​

Performance: Amerie, “1 Thing”

Comment

• Blast from the Past: Omarion, “Ice Box”

Remember when Solange was a video vixen for this Timbaland-assisted song?
                                I'm gonna do Blast from the Past to reminiscent some of the moments from 2000s R&B & Hip-Hop that we may or may not have forgotten.

Comment

• Anyways, that Amerie performance was freaking INCREDIBLE! Damn. Awards performances back then were really the bomb! And World Music Awards wasn't that big of an event to begin with.

Comment

• Mya‘s Moodring was and still is the perfect SUMMER album for me! I remember having bought it in the Netherlands and have not stopped playing it ever since. Mya was fantastic during the 00s and possibly my favourite R&B singer.
                                    YOU KNOW ME, I JUST DON'T STOP. | My last.fm

Comment

• Gobble gobble gobble
                                      Originally posted by beredy
                                      When people see your post this is what they see:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

• Originally posted by Loose View Post
                                        My Ranking (top picks included)

10. MYA - MOODRING / Top Picks: Fallen, Why You Gotta Look So Good, Step, No Sleep Tonight, Things Come And Go, You, After The Rain, Late, Moodring
                                        15. ERYKAH BADU - MAMA‘S GUN / Top Picks: all of it really but ‚Orange Moon‘ is a special treat to me
                                        18. JOJO - THE HIGH ROAD / Top Picks: The High Road & Do Whatcha Gotta Do were stellar!!
                                        20. KELLY ROWLAND - SIMPLY DEEP / Top Picks: Stole, Can‘t Nobody, Haven’t Told You, Simply Deep, Everytime You Walk Out The Door, Train On A Track, Beyond Imagination
                                        30. MELANIE FIONA - THE BRIDGE / Top Picks: Give It To Me Right, Ay Yo, Johnny, Priceless, It Kills Me, Teach Me

I voted THE HIGH ROAD. An almost flawless R&B record with such a powerful title track. This & Good To Know will be forever in my heart.
                                        Last edited by Loose; Sun September 13, 2020, 17:07.
                                        YOU KNOW ME, I JUST DON'T STOP. | My last.fm

Comment

• Icebox will forever be a bop.
                                          Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

• Music of the Sun is underrated. Its title track is one of her career-finest gems. Island girl magic.

19 has some killer tracks: "Melt My Heart to Stone", "Make You Feel My Love", "Tired". It's grown on me over the years, though it's certainly the weakest of her trilogy set.

I've liked what I've heard from Moodring, but I still need to hear it in full.
                                            Akini's Top 100 Albums of the Decade: [2-1!]

Comment

• 87. (-31)

JoJo, The High Road

Voted by: mattsky, Loose, ThaInfo1, JeremySpears, Preyoncé
                                              Previous position: 56

Release date: October 17, 2006
                                              Genre: Pop, R&B
                                              Highlights:Too Little Too Late”, “How To Touch A Girl”, “Coming For You

The High Road is the second studio album by American singer JoJo. It was released on October 17, 2006, by Da Family Entertainment, Blackground Records, and Universal Records. The album was also preceded by the release of the lead single, a Billy Steinberg and Josh Alexander production called "Too Little Too Late", becoming JoJo's best-selling single to date on the Billboard Hot 100. It broke the record for the biggest jump into the top three on the Billboard Hot 100, moving from number 66 to number three in one week, while also reaching the top 10 in Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, and the UK.

Upon its release, the album received generally favorable reviews from music critics, many noting that the album showed more confidence while slower tracks helped showcase JoJo's "superb vocal abilities". The High Road debuted at number three on the Billboard 200 with 108,000 copies sold in its first week. It also peaked at number 12 on the Canadian Albums Chart and at number 24 on the UK Albums Chart. Re-recorded versions of JoJo and The High Road were released on December 21, 2018.

Comment

• 86. (NEW)

Erykah Badu, New Amerykah Part One (4th World War)

Voted by: Leo, Jonathan, croatiaxtina, beredy, NormiMalone
                                                Previous position: N/A

Release date: February 26, 2008
                                                Genre: R&B, Neo soul, Funk, Psychedelic soul
                                                Highlights:The Healer”, “Soldier”, “Honey

New Amerykah Part One (4th World War) is the fourth studio album by American R&B singer-songwriter Erykah Badu. It was released on February 26, 2008, by Universal Motown. New Amerykah Part One is an esoteric concept album titled as a pun on Badu's first name and a reflection of the record's political leanings. It features social commentary and themes related to the plight of the African-American community, including poverty, urban violence, complacency, and cultural identity. The record's densely produced music incorporates hip hop, soul, funk, jazz, and electronica styles.

The album debuted at number two on the Billboard 200 chart, eventually selling 359,000 copies in the United States by December 2009. Critically, New Amerykah Part One was a widespread success, being named by many critics as one of 2008's best records. In 2019, it was voted the 92nd best album of the 21st century in a poll of music journalists published by The Guardian.

Comment

• 85. (NEW)

Maxwell, BLACKsummers’night

Voted by: Jonathan, Marchum, Tomer_MC, NormiMalone

Release date: July 7, 2009
                                                  Genre: R&B, Soul, Neo soul, Funk
                                                  Highlights:Pretty Wings”, “Bad Habits”, “Fistful of Tears

BLACKsummers'night is the fourth studio album by American recording artist Maxwell, released July 7, 2009 on Columbia Records. It is the follow-up to his third album Now (2001). Recording sessions for the album took place during 2003 to 2009 and production was handled entirely by Maxwell and Hod David.

The album debuted at number one on the US Billboard 200 chart, selling 316,000 copies in its first week. It became Maxwell's fourth consecutive US Platinum album and produced four singles that achieved Billboard chart success. Upon its release, the album received acclaim from most music critics and earned Maxwell two Grammy Awards at the 52nd Grammy Awards. It has sold over one million copies in the United States. The sequel blackSUMMERS'night was released on July 1, 2016.

Comment

• 84. (NEW)

Missy Elliott, Under Construction

Voted by: Leo, cheapthrills, minime, croatiaxtina, beredy, Ska8er

Release date: November 12, 2002
                                                    Genre: Hip-hop, R&B
                                                    Highlights:Work It”, “Gossip Folks” (feat. Ludacris), “Bring The Pain” (feat. Method Man)

Under Construction is the fourth studio album by American rapper Missy Elliott, released by The Goldmind Inc. and Elektra Records on November 12, 2002 in the United States. The album was primarily produced by Timbaland, with additional production from Craig Brockman, Nisan Stewart, Errol "Poppi" McCalla and Elliott herself.

Under Construction met a generally positive reception. At Metacritic, it earned an average score of 81 out of 100, based on 19 reviews. The album was included in the book 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die. The album debuted at number three on the US Billboard 200 chart, selling 259,000 copies in its first week. The album was also certified double platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA). The album received Grammy Award nominations for Best Rap Album and Album of the Year.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X