Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UKMIX Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums of the 2000s (#67 - #63 REVEALED!)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 83. (-29)

John Legend, Get Lifted

Voted by: Leo, cheapthrills, abidhaq, quilmrt, Noahh, Tomer_MC
    Previous position: 54

Release date: December 28, 2004
    Genre: R&B, Soul, Hip-hop soul, Neo soul
    Highlights:Ordinary People”, “Stay With You”, “Used To Love You

Get Lifted is the debut studio album by American singer John Legend, released by GOOD Music, Sony Urban Music, and Columbia Records on December 28, 2004 in the United States. Featuring production by Legend's then-manager, Kanye West, as well as Dave Tozer, will.i.am, and Devo Springsteen. The album sold over three million units worldwide, with a total of 2.1 million copies in the U.S., where it was certified double platinum.

The album won the 2006 Grammy Award for Best R&B Album, and earned Legend another two awards, for Best New Artist and Best Male R&B Vocal Performance for his single "Ordinary People". Rhapsody ranked the album #10 on its "Best R&B Albums of the Decade" list, declaring, "John Legend was all over the Top 40 the entire decade—even before he released one of the decade’s biggest R&B debuts—having worked with Lauryn Hill, Alicia Keys, Kanye West and Jay-Z, to name a few. Get Lifted, his first proper release, is an infectious cross between old-school soul and neo-soul."

Comment

• People rarely talk about John Legend because he doesn't really have 'stans' but for someone who rarely crosses over to Pop (aside from 1-2 songs) he definitely has an incredible longevity, has successfully turned into a celebrity as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by abi View Post
        Simply Deep is basic as hell to me, especially compared to Ms. Kelly which was full of so many different-sounding R&B gems.

Anyways, new batch is coming up in a few minutes.
        Simply Deep was more of a soul record leaning towards pop.

Personally, I appreciated Ms. Kelly much more after its re-release. Daylight was the single I enjoyed the most from this era. And the Work Remix.
        YOU KNOW ME, I JUST DON'T STOP. | My last.fm

Comment

• Look at Queen Erykah nabbing two spots in the top 100

I was hoping Missy would be higher up. Work It is just one of the greatest tracks ever IMO

Forgot about Maxwell!

Comment

• John's first three albums were really strong imo
            VISIT UKmix HOT100 @ Front Desk
            ENJOY Hits in the Mix! weekly chart @ General Music

Comment

• Ms. Kelly is a great record, SD is kinda basic.
              Haven't been early since '88

Comment

• JoJo's "The High Road" was a huge improvement compared to her self-titled debut album. "Too Little Too Late" is probably her best song ever and "Note to God" is just epic and definitely my favorite ballad of hers.

Missy's "Under Construction" is nice but she has better albums. However it’s Missy's favorite album from her own catalog and "Work It" is iconic. The album cover screams 2000s lol.

Rihanna's "Music of the Sun" is definitely better than her sophomore album as it has a few more highlights and its lows aren’t as boring as the ones on AGLM but it’s still pretty weak overall. But then again most debut albums are weak compared to the rest of an artist's discography. "Pon De Replay", "That La, La, La", "Rush" and "Let Me" are bops.

Ciara's "Fantasy Ride" is cute. It had a great concept but the finished result wasn’t as good as it could’ve been. "Love Sex Magic" is a timeless highlight from that decade for me and the album artwork is dope.

I actually listened to Monica's entire discography for the first time a few weeks ago because of the Verzuz thing and I'd rank "The Makings of Me" at #2 in her discography. Very solid but nothing groundbreaking.

"Simply Deep" is boring as hell. Not that the rest of Kelly's discography is outstanding or anything but it’s so hard to sit through this album. "Stole" is a banger though.

I should’ve included more Eminem albums in my ranking damn. "The Eminem Show" is iconic and so is "Without Me". He was on fire in the 2000s. "White America" is very underrated and I always thought that "My Dad's Gone Crazy" is pretty catchy.
                Britney Spears Janet Jackson Christina Aguilera Michael Jackson Selena Gomez Hilary Duff Taylor Swift Justin Timberlake

Comment

• Kelly Rowland didn't make a great album until Talk A Good Game. Ms. Kelly is a close second.

Besides the singles, I don't use simply deep.

The High Road is the best teeny bopper album ever. A young adult could've released that. Quality.

Comment

• Some incredible albums in the latest batch. I only voted for Under Construction (#37), but Get Lifted almost made it too.

I've never really gotten into Erykah Badu, but she appeared twice so far so I might have to.

I'm now off to listen to "Too Little Too Late" for 126314 times.
                    Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

• Love me some Jojo but I'm really not feeling the new version of "Too Little Too Late". Haven't played it again since the first time I heard it. The ad-libs ain't it.

Comment

• 81. (tie) (NEW)

Jill Scott, Who Is Jill Scott? Words and Sounds Vol. 1

Voted by: cheapthrills, Jonathan, Ruthymon, Marchum, Ska8er
                        Previous position: N/A

Release date: July 18, 2000
                        Genre: R&B, Soul, Neo soul, Hip-hop, Jazz
                        Highlights:A Long Walk”, “He Loves Me (Lyzel in E-Flat)”, “The Way

Who Is Jill Scott? Words and Sounds Vol. 1 is the debut album by American R&B-soul singer–songwriter Jill Scott, released in the United States on July 18, 2000 by Hidden Beach Recordings to positive acclaim. The album was nominated for Best R&B Album at the 2001 Grammy Awards, whereas "Gettin' in the Way", "A Long Walk", and "He Loves Me (Lyzel in E Flat)" were nominated for Best Female R&B Vocal Performance in 2001, 2002, and 2003, respectively. The album has been listed as one of the best albums of the 2000s by Slant Magazine.

While not released as a single, the album track "He Loves Me (Lyzel in E Flat)", dedicated to Scott's then-husband Lyzel Williams, became a particularly popular song at Scott's live and televised performances. It also received a club makeover as dance remixes of the song gained popularity and were later included on her subsequent 2001 Experience: Jill Scott 826+ album.

Comment

• 81. (tie) (NEW)

Black Eyed Peas, Elephunk

Voted by: abi, BratzJezus, croatiaxtina, BeeBoy, Rihab

Release date: July 18, 2000
                          Genre: Hip-hop, Pop, R&B, Dance-pop
                          Highlights:Shut Up”, “Where Is The Love?”, “Let’s Get It Started

Elephunk is the third studio album by American group Black Eyed Peas. It was released on June 24, 2003, by the will.i.am Music Group and A&M Records. The album charted at number 14 on the American Billboard 200 albums chart and was certified double platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America, and has gone on to sell more than 9 million copies worldwide, with 3.2 million in the United States alone. This is the group's first album with Fergie, as well as their first album where the band is credited as The Black Eyed Peas.

Comment

• 78. (tie) (NEW)

Joss Stone, Mind Body & Soul

Voted by: Leo, Wayne, Loose, croatiaxtina, Tomer_MC

Release date: September 15, 2004
                            Genre: Soul, R&B, Pop
                            Highlights:You Had Me”, “Don’t Cha Wanna Ride”, “Right To Be Wrong

Mind Body & Soul is the second studio album by English singer and songwriter Joss Stone. It was released on 15 September 2004 by S-Curve Records. The album received generally favourable reviews from music critics and earned Stone three Grammy Award nominations, including Best Pop Vocal Album. Mind Body & Soul debuted at number one on the UK Albums Chart with 75,000 copies sold in its first week, making Stone the youngest female singer to top the chart. It also performed strongly on international record charts, reaching number 11 on the Billboard 200 in the United States and charting within the top 10 in several countries across Europe and Oceania.

Comment

• 78. (tie) (-27)

Usher, Here I Stand

Voted by: Wayne, LilyoftheValley, JSparksFan, Ivica, abi, BeeBoy
                              Previous position: 51

Release date: May 13, 2008
                              Genre: R&B, Hip-hop
                              Highlights:Love In This Club” (feat. Young Jeezy), “Trading Places”, “Here I Stand

Here I Stand is the fifth studio album by the American singer Usher, released on May 13, 2008, by LaFace Records. Inspired by love for his new wife—Tameka Foster—and son, Usher recorded many ballads for the album. Prior to the album's recording, Usher split with his mother, Jonnetta Patton, as manager and hired Benny Medina. Usher's estranged father died months before the release of Here I Stand; this also influenced themes of the album. It was originally to be titled "Measure of a Man", but Usher named it Here I Stand to mark "a new chapter in [his] life".

Here I Stand received generally positive reviews from music critics, who viewed it as a sign of growth and maturity from Usher, although others were unimpressed by the change in style from his 2004 album Confessions. It debuted atop the Billboard 200, and sold 433,000 copies in the US in its first week of release, and has since sold 1.3 million copies in that country. Although it had sold two million copies by August 2008, Here I Stand was seen as a commercial failure relative to Confessions, which had sold fifteen million copies.

Comment

• 78. (tie) (NEW)

Chris Brown, Chris Brown

Voted by:LilyoftheValley, JSparksFan, abi, Goldmoney, Ska8er

Release date: November 29, 2005
                                Genre: R&B, Hip-hop
                                Highlights:Say Goodbye”, “Run It!” (feat. Juelz Santana), “Yo (Excuse Me Miss)

Chris Brown is the self-titled debut studio album by American singer Chris Brown. It was released on November 29, 2005, by Jive Records. Receiving generally positive reviews from critics, the album was a commercial success. The album debuted at number two on the US Billboard 200 chart. It has been certified triple platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) and has sold over three million copies worldwide. The album also earned Brown his first two Grammy nominations for Best New Artist and Best Contemporary R&B Album at the 49th Grammy Awards.

His official debut single from the album, "Run It!" was released on June 30, 2005. The song features guest vocals from an American rapper Juelz Santana, with the production that was handled by a high-profile hip hop producer Scott Storch. It reached number one on the US Billboard Hot 100, where it stayed for over five weeks, and also achieved continuous airplays, also topping on the airplays for the Billboard Hot 100.

Comment

• Voted for Breezy, Usher & BEP.

- Anybody remembers why BEP's "Shut Up" completely flopped in the US? It was massive on MTV Asia. Anyways, their second best album.
                                  - Here I Stand is alright but it contains one of the best bedroom songs of all time; "Trading Places" so I still voted for it. "Here I Stand" the title track could've been an R&B classic as well if he had kept pushing it.
                                  - Chris Brown's debut album is full of R&B jams - his most R&B-centered work by far. And I can't believe both "Say Goodbye" and "Gimme That" outviewed "Run It!" on YouTube considering the latter was the biggest hit by far at that time. Also, his lisp in "Yo Excuse Me Miss" is iconic. Oh, and "Ya Man Ain't Me" is the best song off the album period.

Ya man ain't me cause...
                                  He ain't fly...
                                  He don't even drive...
                                  Cause when you wanna sneak out
                                  In the middle of the night, baby I'm your guy...

Comment

• Another amazing batch of albums.

I only recently discovered Jill Scott (after Tyler, The Creator listed it down as one of his all-time favorites) and I love it so much. I placed it at #39 due to it being a recent discovery, but it probably deserves higher.

I almost voted for both Elephunk and Here I Stand, but I already included an entry from each of them in my ranking and I thought that was enough. Great singles form both albums though. abi I do remember that actually haha.

I hate Chris Brown but I can't deny that his first two albums were among my most played of that decade. My #14.
                                    Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

• Blast from the Past: Cherish, “Killa” (feat. Young Joc)

​​​​​​​
                                      Forgotten R&B girl group from the 2000s, Cherish, with their hit single "Killa" featured on the movie Step Up 2: The Streets.

Comment

• Joss Stone is a banger! Loved Mind, Body & Soul when it came out. Another of her other albums surpassed this one by far.

However, it’s my third favorite LP of her
                                        YOU KNOW ME, I JUST DON'T STOP. | My last.fm

Comment

• Joss Stone one is good
                                          Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

• Starting off his career as a rapper in the late 90s, our next performer has gone to become one of the most defining artists of the decade. Here to perform a medley of "White America" and "Cleanin' Out My Closet". Please welcome to the stage, Eminem!

​​​​​

Performance: Eminem, “White America” / "Cleanin' Out My Closet"

Comment

• 77. (NEW)

Leona Lewis, Spirit

Voted by: RayRay, BratzJezus, sjm

Release date: November 9, 2007
                                              Genre: Pop, Soul, R&B
                                              Highlights:Better In Time”, “Bleeding Love”, “Footprints in the Sand

Spirit is the debut studio album by English singer Leona Lewis, released by Syco Music in November 2007 in the United Kingdom and Ireland, followed by a worldwide release during early 2008. The album made Lewis the first UK solo artist to debut at number one with a debut album, in the US, on 26 April 2008. Spirit became the fastest-selling debut album in the UK, at time of release. The album remains the best-selling debut album by a female artist in the UK. The album was the sixth biggest-selling of 2008 in the world, as according to the IFPI. It has gone on to sell over eight million copies worldwide.

Spirit spawned seven singles, including two from a re-release of the album. Lead international single "Bleeding Love" went on to top the charts in 36 countries, becoming one of the best-selling singles by a female of all-time. It was nominated for Record of the Year and Best Female Pop Vocal Performance at the 51st Grammy Awards, and British Single of the Year at the 2008 Brit Awards. Follow-up single "Better in Time" also fared well, charting in the top 10 in 13 countries and reaching number 11 in the US.

Comment

• 75. (tie) (NEW)

Chris Brown, Graffiti

Voted by: JSparksFan, Erotica, abi, Tomer_MC, sg1996

Release date: December 8, 2009
                                                Genre: R&B, Pop, Europop, Hip-hop
                                                Highlights:Crawl”, “Pass Out” (feat. Eva Simmons), “I Can Transform Ya” (feat. Lil Wayne & Swizz Beatz)

Graffiti is the third studio album by American singer Chris Brown. It was released on December 8, 2009, by Jive Records. The album serves as a follow-up to his previous album Exclusive (2007). Recording sessions took place from 2008 to 2009, with these several record producers, including Polow da Don, Swizz Beatz, The Runners and Brian Kennedy, among others. Primarily an R&B and pop outing, Graffiti incorporates elements of hip hop music with synthesizers. The album debuted at number seven on the US Billboard 200, selling 102,489 copies in its first week. By March 2011, had sold 341,000 copies in the US.

Despite receiving generally negative reviews from most music critics, Graffiti was nominated for two Grammy Awards; including one for the Best Contemporary R&B Album and the other for the Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals for this track, "Take My Time" featuring Tank.

Comment

• 75. (tie) (NEW)

Jordin Sparks, Battlefield

Voted by: RayRay, JSparksFan, Erotica, abi, Ska8er

Release date: July 17, 2009
                                                  Genre: Pop, R&B
                                                  Highlights:Battlefield”, “Don’t Let It Go To Your Head”, “No Parade

Battlefield is the second studio album by American singer Jordin Sparks, first released on July 17, 2009 through Jive Records and 19 Recordings. The album debuted at number 7 in the United States, number 11 in the UK, number 34 in Australia and top 20 in many territories.

Contributions to the album's production came from a variety of producers, including Harvey Mason, Jr., Claude Kelly, Ryan Tedder, Dr. Luke and Lucas Secon. The title track was released as the lead single from the album in May 2009, peaking at number 10 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in the United States. "S.O.S. (Let the Music Play)" (which contains a sample from Shannon's 1983 single "Let the Music Play") was released as the second single from Battlefield in August 2009, followed by "Don't Let It Go to Your Head" (a cover version of Fefe Dobson's song of the same name) as the third single in January 2010. Upon its release, Battlefield received mixed to positive reviews from music critics, most of whom complimented the production and Sparks' vocal performance, but criticized its lack of originality in terms of pop music. The album sold over 600,000 copies worldwide.

Comment

• 74. (NEW)

JAY Z, The Black Album

Voted by: UndercovaSista, cheapthrills, MrLeonix, Noahh, Ska8er, NormiMalone

Release date: November 28, 2003
                                                    Genre: Hip-hop
                                                    Highlights:99 Problems”, “Dirt Off Your Shoulder”, “Change Clothes

The Black Album is the eighth studio album by American rapper Jay-Z, released on November 28, 2003, by Roc-A-Fella Records. It was advertised as his final album before retiring, which is also a recurring theme throughout the songs, although Jay-Z resumed his recording career in 2006. For the album, Jay-Z wanted to enlist a different producer for each song, working with Just Blaze, Kanye West, The Neptunes, Eminem, DJ Quik, Timbaland, 9th Wonder and Rick Rubin, among others.

The album received widespread acclaim from critics. In its first week, it debuted at number one on the Billboard 200, selling 463,000 copies in the United States. It became Jay-Z's top selling record of the 2000s decade, and by July 2013, it had sold 3,516,000 copies in the US. The Black Album was promoted with a retirement tour by Jay-Z and three singles that also achieved Billboard chart success, including the top-ten hits "Change Clothes" and "Dirt off Your Shoulder".

Comment

Working...
                                                    X