Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UKMIX Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums of the 2000s (#7 REVEALED: The Red Album)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCD is a cute album, so many memories! The Evolution is Ciara's finest record IMO. I love Glitter, such an underrated record!
    Haven't been early since '88

Comment

• Originally posted by ThaInfo1 View Post
      Ciara has yet to top The Evolution. Her best and my fav from her. I was stanning down.
      Get In, Fit In was certainly a treat with its quirky production. Loved it.
      YOU KNOW ME, I JUST DON'T STOP. | My last.fm

Comment

• 8701 has some classic Usher singles! Similarly, Exclusive is CB's most classic era. Hit after hit after hit! I loved "With You" so much back in the day and I remember loving his sexy "Take You Down" live performances, too.

Oh my. The fact that Glitter made it is shocking. Maybe that's a sign Emancipation will be a good distance away from the runner-up? Let's see. I do love "Lead the Way". I think it's such a pretty song. The lyrics are solid, but those vocals are insane, and that final note is phenomenal.
        Akini's Top 100 Artists of the Decade: [#3]

Comment

• 41. (NEW)

Toni Braxton, Libra

Voted by: RayRay, ThaInfo1, abidhaq, quilmrt, Tomer_MC, Preyoncé, sg1996, Butterfly_D
          Previous position: N/A

Release date: September 27, 2005
          Genre: R&B, Soul, Pop
          Highlights:Please”, “Trippin’ (That’s The Way Love Works)”, “Suddenly”, “The Time of Our Lives” (with Il Divo)

Libra is the sixth studio album by American recording artist Toni Braxton. It was released by Blackground Records on September 27, 2005 in the United States, while its international release was handled by several partners. It marked Braxton's debut on the label, following her split with longtime record company Arista Records in 2003 after the release of her album More Than a Woman (2002), which was commercially less successful than its predecessors. The album's title is a reference to Braxton's astrological sign, Libra.

Upon its release, the album debuted at number four on the Billboard 200 and at number two on the Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums, selling 114,000 copies in its first week. Libra earned generally mixed reviews from music critics, who complimented Braxton vocal performance and her return to form on the album's ballads, but were critical towards its uptempo material. A steady seller, Libra gained gold status by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) on November 4, 2005, having sold over 441,000 copies to date. Singles such as "Please" and "Trippin'" failed to sell or chart noticeably on both the pop and the R&B chart, though "The Time of Our Lives," Braxton's collaboration with the group Il Divo for the 2006 FIFA World Cup, prompted her German label Edel Records to re-released the album in Continental Europe in June 2006.

Comment

• 38. (tie) (=)

Mary J. Blige, No More Drama

Voted by: mattsky, Leo, Wayne, LilyoftheValley, JSparksFan, cheapthrills, minime, BratzJezus, Goldmoney, abidhaq, croatiaxtina, beredy, Noahh, Preyoncé
            Previous position: 38

Release date: August 28, 2001
            Genre: R&B, Hip-hop soul
            Highlights:Family Affair”, “No More Drama”, “Dance For Me” (feat. Common), “Rainy Dayz

No More Drama is the fifth studio album by American R&B recording artist Mary J. Blige. The album was released by MCA on August 28, 2001.

Following the critical and commercial success of her fourth studio album Mary (1999), No More Drama was similarly well-received. It debuted at number two on the US Billboard 200 and at number one on the R&B Albums chart, selling 324,000 copies in its first week. It has spawned four singles that have attained Billboard chart success, including its lead single "Family Affair", which became Blige's first career number-one single on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart and a worldwide number-one hit.

No More Drama received generally positive reviews from critics. At Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream publications, the album received an average score of 77, based on 12 reviews. The album received two Grammy Award nominations for Best R&B Album and Best Female R&B Vocal Performance (for "Family Affair") at the 44th Grammy Awards. Blige would win her first in the latter category for the track "He Think I Don't Know" the following year. As of December 2016, the album has been certified triple platinum for shipping over three million copies in the US by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA).

Comment

• 38. (tie) (-6)

Janet Jackson, Damita Jo

Voted by: RayRay, JSparksFan, Erotica, minime, JeremySpears, BratzJezus, abidhaq, quilmrt, sjm, NormiMalone, sg1996
              Previous position: 32

Release date: March 22, 2004
              Genre: R&B, Dance-pop, Hip-hop
              Highlights: All Nite (Don’t Stop)”, “My Baby” (feat. Kanye West), “R&B Junkie”, “I Want You

Damita Jo is the eighth studio album by American singer Janet Jackson. It was released on March 22, 2004, by Virgin Records. The album takes its title from Jackson's middle name. Its music incorporates pop rock, electro, house, and hip hop styles, in addition to R&B. Its concept is based on Jackson's alternate personalities; exploring themes involving intimacy, monogamy, love, and dance.

Recorded over eighteen months, it was the longest Jackson spent on a project. Jackson sought to find producers who identified with her emotions, intending "hard-hitting dance music". Producers declared it "a really sexy record" which was bold, fun, and positive. Multiple personae portrayed include the obstinate "Damita Jo" and lascivious "Strawberry".

Prior to its completion, Jackson performed a medley of hits at the Super Bowl XXXVIII halftime show. The performance ended in Jackson's breast being exposed by surprise guest Justin Timberlake. Conglomerates involved with the broadcast who received massive fines by the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC), including Viacom and CBS, and subsidiaries MTV and Infinity Broadcasting, enforced a blacklist of Jackson's singles and music videos, although Timberlake was unaffected. The album received generally favorable reviews. Jackson replied to critics focusing on the album's suggestive content and Super Bowl incident in place of the music itself, stating she was "fascinated" by these interpretations, expressing concern for society's need to often place others within a specific sexual category. It garnered Jackson's second highest first-week sales in the US, and was certified platinum. Damita Jo sold over two million copies worldwide. It received a Grammy Award nomination for Best Contemporary R&B Album.

Comment

• 38. (tie) (-11)

Fergie, The Dutchess

Voted by: mattsky, Ivica, Erotica, abi, BratzJezus, Goldmoney, croatiaxtina, BeeBoy, Ska8er, Preyoncé
                Previous position: 27

Release date: September 13, 2006
                Genre: Hip-hop, Pop, R&B
                Highlights:Glamorous” (feat. Ludacris), “Fergalicious” (feat. will.i.am), “Big Girls Don’t Cry”, “London Bridge

The Dutchess is the debut studio album by American singer Fergie. It was released on September 13, 2006 through A&M Records and the will.i.am Music Group as her first solo album since the break from her band The Black Eyed Peas. While developing the album, Fergie wanted to create an autobiographical album that would be more intimate between her and the listener. Lyrically, The Dutchess has themes about love and critics, while also dealing with her drug abuse and addiction.

Upon its release, The Dutchess received mixed reviews from music critics, with many praising its production, calling it one of the most eclectic and adventurous albums of 2006, but some criticized the album's lyrical content and believed the material was not strong enough for her voice. It became a commercial success, reaching number two on the US Billboard 200 and spending ninety-four weeks inside the chart, while also topping the Australian Albums Chart and becoming a worldwide success, reaching platinum status in over eight countries. It has sold nearly 4 million copies in the United States and over 6 million copies worldwide.

The album produced five top five singles in the United States, including three number-one hits on the US Billboard Hot 100, "London Bridge", "Big Girls Don't Cry", and "Glamorous", as well as the number two single "Fergalicious" and the number five single "Clumsy". All five of the aforementioned singles have sold over two million digital downloads each in the United States, thus setting a new record in the digital era for the most multi-platinum singles from one album. Fergie held this record until 2012, when Katy Perry achieved six multi-platinum singles with her album Teenage Dream (2010).

Comment

• Random fact/trivia:
                  - With 14 voters, No More Drama by Mary J. Blige currently holds the title for the most-voted album so far.
                  - Despite being a very well known hit in the US, Fergie's "Fergalicious" underperformed in Europe - peaking only at #105 in the UK and top 30 in French, Germany & Sweden.
                  - Despite selling 381,000 copies in its first week in the US, Damita Jo failed to produce any major hit single. The lead single, "Just A Little While" only peaked at #45 on the Billboard Hot 100 while "I Want You" reached #57.
                  Last edited by abi; Sun September 27, 2020, 14:38.

Comment

• So beredy would know Family Affair?!
                    Originally posted by beredy
                    When people see your post this is what they see:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post
                      So beredy would know Family Affair?!
                      Chile, all of those singles from the album were huge on the radio here.
                      I have received many gifts from God,
                      but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

• What an amazing batch.

Comment

• I wanted higher for Damita Jo, but glad it cracked the Top 40
                          The sands of time fade into dark
                          Feel your pulse it's groove o'clock
                          A message to madness
                          Feel music that's realness

Comment

• Performing a special tribute to the legendary Chaka Khan, ladies and gentleman, please welcome to the stage Yolanda Adams, India.Arie, Price and Stevie Wonder!

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
                            Performance: Yolanda Adams, India.Arie, Prince & Stevie Wonder, "Chaka Khan tribute"

Comment

• Before we get into the countdown further, let me reveal the first batch of the Bubbling Under that failed to make into our top 100.

UKMIX Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums of the 2000s: Bubbling Under Pt. I

115. (NEW) JAY-Z, The Blueprint III (54 points)
                              113. (NEW) Akon, Konvicted (55 points)
                              113. (NEW) Whitney Houston, Just Whitney (55 points)
                              112. (-87) Solange, Sol-Angel & The Hadley St. Dreams (56 points)
                              111. (NEW) Duffy, Rockferry (57 points)
                              110. (NEW) 50 Cent, Get Rich or Die Tryin' (58 points)
                              109. (NEW) The Streets, A Grand Don't Come for Free (59 points)
                              107. (NEW) Janelle Monáe, Metropolis: The Chase Suite (62 points)
                              107. (NEW) Black Eyed Peas, The E.N.D. (62 points)
                              106. (NEW) Luther Vandross, Dance With My Father (66 points)
                              104. (NEW) Robin Thicke, Sex Therapy: The Session (67 points)
                              104. (NEW) Mis-teeq, Lickin On Both Sides (67 points)
                              103. (NEW) The Streets, Original Pirate Material (74 points)
                              102. (NEW) Prince, Musicology (75 points)
                              101. (NEW) TLC, 3D (77 points)

Comment

• Biggest Jump so far
                                +22 Toni Braxton, The Heat
                                +14 Keri Hilson, In A Perfect World...
                                +7 Alexandra Burke, Overcome
                                +6 Keyshia Cole, The Way It Is

Biggest Fall so far
                                -87 Solange, Sol-Angel & The Hadley St. Dreams
                                -55 Ciara, Fantasy Ride
                                -48 Corinne Bailey Rae, Corinne Bailey Rae
                                -47 Melanie Fiona, The Bridge
                                -46 Jazmine Sullivan, Fearless

Comment

• 37. (-2)

Brandy, Human

Voted by: mattsky, RayRay, JSparksFan, Ivica, JeremySpears, abidhaq, sjm, Ska8er, Tomer_MC, Preyoncé, sg1996 (#1)
                                  Previous position: 35

Release date: December 5, 2008
                                  Genre: R&B, Pop, Soul
                                  Highlights:Right Here (Departed)”, “Long Distance”, “Piano Man”, “Camouflage

Human is the fifth studio album by American singer Brandy, first released in France in December 2008 and by March 2009 in most international music markets. Distributed by Koch Records and Sony Music, the album marked Norwood's debut on the Epic Records label, following her split with Atlantic Records in 2005, and her reunion with long-time contributor and mentor Rodney "Darkchild" Jerkins, who wrote and executive produced most of the album with his songwriting collective.

Generally well received by critics, Human debuted at number fifteen on the US Billboard 200 with opening week sales of 73,000 copies, becoming Brandy's lowest-charting debut since her first album fourteen years prior. With a domestic sales total of 214,000 copies, it widely failed to revive the success of its predecessors. While leading single "Right Here (Departed)" scored Norwood her biggest chart success since 2002's "Full Moon," the album failed to impact elsewhere, resulting in lackluster sales in general and the release of just one other single, "Long Distance."

In mid-2009 during the recording sessions for Norwood's second album with Epic Records, Brandy ended her management contract with Roc Nation. This was followed by the termination of her contract with Epic, after singer-songwriter Amanda Ghost was appointed the new president of the label. Disappointed by its performance, Norwood later expressed her dislike of the album itself.

Comment

• 35. (tie) (NEW)

Kanye West, 808s & Heartbreak

Voted by: JSparksFan, heppolo, Erotica, Jonathan, JeremySpears, quilmrt, croatiaxtina, BeeBoy, Noahh, Rihab, Tomer_MC
                                    Previous position: N/A

Release date: November 24, 2008
                                    Genre: Alt-R&B, Electropop, Hip-hop, Synth-pop
                                    Highlights:Heartless”, “Love Lockdown”, “Amazing” (feat. Jeezy), “Welcome to Heartbreak” (feat. Kid Cudi)

808s & Heartbreak is the fourth studio album by American producer and vocalist Kanye West. It was released on November 24, 2008, by Def Jam Recordings and Roc-A-Fella Records. West recorded the album during September and October 2008 at Glenwood Studios in Burbank, California and Avex Recording Studio in Honolulu, Hawaii, with the help of producers No I.D., Jeff Bhasker and others.

Conceived in the wake of several distressing personal events, 808s & Heartbreak marked a major musical departure from West's previous rap records, instead featuring a sparse, electronic sound and West singing through an Auto-Tune vocal processor. His lyrics explore themes of loss, alienated fame, and heartache, while the album's production abandons conventional hip hop sounds in favor of a minimalist sonic palette, with prominent use of the Roland TR-808 drum machine.

808s & Heartbreak debuted at number one on the Billboard 200, selling just over 450,000 copies in its first week. Despite varying responses from listeners, the album received positive reviews from most music critics, who generally commented on West's experimentation, and was named one of 2008's best records in several year-end lists. 808s & Heartbreak has since been cited as a prominent influence on subsequent hip hop, pop, and R&B music, pioneering emo rap and experimental R&B developments in particular.

Rolling Stone included 808s & Heartbreak in its list of The 40 Most Groundbreaking Albums of All Time and ranked it number 244 on its revision to the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time list.

Comment

• 35. (tie) (-5)

Missy Elliott, Miss E… So Addictive

Voted by: Leo, minime, JeremySpears, abidhaq, croatiaxtina, beredy, Preyoncé, NormiMalone
                                      Previous position: 30

Release date: May 15, 2001
                                      Genre: Hip-hop, R&B, Dance
                                      Highlights:Get Ur Freak On”, “One Minute Man” (feat. Ludacris), “4 My People” (feat. Eve), “Lick Shots

Miss E… So Addictive is the third studio album by American rapper, Missy "Misdemeanor" Elliott. The album spawned the club and R&B/hip-hop hits "One Minute Man", featuring Ludacris and Trina, and "Get Ur Freak On", as well as the international club hit "4 My People" and the less commercially successful single "Take Away".

Miss E... So Addictive was widely acclaimed from music critics. On Metacritic, the album holds a score of 89 out of 100 based on 16 reviews, indicating "universal acclaim." The album is also ranked 70th on the site's list of best-reviewed albums. Q listed the album as one of the best 50 albums of 2001. John Bush from AllMusic felt that Elliott was "sounding more assured of her various strengths than at any time since her startling debut" and called "her best album so far." He wrote that it's "a tribute to her incredible songwriting skills and Timbaland's continuing production excellence that she can have it any way she wants it and still come away with a full-length that hangs together brilliantly."

The album debuted at number two on the US Billboard 200 chart, selling 250,000 copies in its first week. The album was certified platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA). The album garnered two Grammy Awards for "Get Ur Freak On" and the non-single "Scream a.k.a. Itchin'" for Best Rap Solo Performance and Best Female Rap Solo Performance respectively.

Comment

• I just realized I haven't been on this thread in a bit and I've got some catching up to do

Pretty sure everyone knows I love The Pussycat Dolls. I think both albums are amazing for different reasons, and I think I'm in the minority that prefers Doll Domination over PCD. The fan in me placed them both in my Top 10.

I am very surprised to see Alexandra making the Top 60, and even being higher than the last countdown. Overcome is an incredible Pop/R&B debut form the UK's best performer. It's a shame that the industry treated her as bad as it did, because she deserves all the success in the world. My #8.

I lost another album from my top 10, with Jay-Z's The Blueprint. My favorite rap album from the decade, and my #10. This one definitely deserved to be higher.

I also voted for Stankonia (my #20), Voodoo (#26), In A Perfect World… (#28), 8701 (#25), Exclusive (#12 - I still hate him though), The Dutchess (#32) and Human (#31). The first two are recent discoveries and potentially deserve to be higher, but I tried to balance it with my nostalgia.

Some great albums featured on the countdown, and some that I was thinking of including as well.

I'm surprised to see Sol-Angel & The Hadley St. Dreams flop so bad, but I didn't vote for it either. I did, however, vote for The E.N.D., which I placed as my #15. I know it hasn't aged well, but they were huge at the time and I have fond memories of it. In retrospect I should've placed it lower
                                        Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

• So many great ones! -87 Solange, Sol-Angel & The Hadley St. Dreams?? Wow!!! it was my #3
                                          Haven't been early since '88

Comment

• 103. (NEW) The Streets, Original Pirate Material (74 points)

My number one album of the 2000s, a true game changer for the UK rap scene. The outsiders may have hard time understanding how important this album is (slightly hip, slightly house-y), the spoken word storyteller approach of Mike Skinner might sound really jarring for those accustomed to the american scene.

Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

• Human is Brandys worst imo, but it's still a decent album.

Comment

• Originally posted by ThaInfo1 View Post
                                                Human is Brandys worst imo, but it's still a decent album.
                                                I second that.
                                                YOU KNOW ME, I JUST DON'T STOP. | My last.fm

Comment

• Y'all sorry I've been so busy these past couple of days. Let me make the next batches quicker.

Comment

• Originally posted by abi View Post
                                                    Y'all sorry I've been so busy these past couple of days. Let me make the next batches quicker.
                                                    No need to make them quicker. I was 3-4 batches behind between visits
                                                    Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X