Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steps - What The Future Holds

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #26
    Sadly Miley is all about the streams so very slim chances of a #1.
    Queuing for Girls Aloud reunion tickets since 2013

    #FreeBritney

    Comment


    • #27
      Is there no Steps album thread for the new era or even charts and sales?!
      Britney, X-tina, Lana, Janet, Spice Girls, Kylie, Dannii

      Comment


      • #28
        Originally posted by adamf2thedeath View Post
        Is there no Steps album thread for the new era or even charts and sales?!
        We love an optimist that thinks it’ll even be needed
        Queuing for Girls Aloud reunion tickets since 2013

        #FreeBritney

        Comment


        • #29
          They had one for their last era though didn’t they and that ended up selling well and I think this will be a top 3 debut right?
          Britney, X-tina, Lana, Janet, Spice Girls, Kylie, Dannii

          Comment


          • #30
            “But I’m B-List at Capital!”

            From Lisa’s 2005 MTV fly-on-the-wall documentary Totally Scott Lee where the premise was she had to score a UK Top 10 with the single ‘Electric’ or she’d quit the music industry. It peaked at Number 13, with her protest of “But I’m B-List at Capital!” becoming a quotable camp classic among fans.

            H: “It’s an iconic quote with the gays. People turn up to our gigs in T-shirts saying: ‘I’m B-List At Capital’.”

            Faye: “Someone’s named their Twitter account after it (Laughs).”

            Lisa: “It was said with sincerity (laughs). 15 years on, I didn’t think people would still quote that at me. I don’t get it but it seems very nice – I think! That documentary was a stitch-up. There was meant to be a second series where they wanted me to go over to Australia and release as a solo artist there, but I said, ‘No, thank you’. With increased awareness of mental health, they couldn’t treat people like that now.”

            H: “You did right. That exploitative TV genre has changed now, because people humiliate themselves on Instagram, so you don’t need to watch that.”

            Slightly off-topic but in a recent interview promoting the album, Steps discussed this iconic quote from Queen Lisa. I can't believe MTV had the never to ask her for a second series! I suppose Electric might have gone Top 10 somewhere

            H is right though, it is a very popular quote with gay folk but only because we were the only ones who watched the show. I've also seen those t-shirts and actually think it would amazing to wear to their concerts next year.

            Queuing for Girls Aloud reunion tickets since 2013

            #FreeBritney

            Comment


            • #31
              Lol that was hilarious turned into something epic! What fascinates me is Lisa’s personality; she can look back and talk about that crucial moment! Great job for being brave.
              Been reading UkMix everyday for well more than a decade now, and Here I am posting

              Comment


              • #32
                Originally posted by oaknuys View Post
                Lol that was hilarious turned into something epic! What fascinates me is Lisa’s personality; she can look back and talk about that crucial moment! Great job for being brave.
                Lisa is a Queen. She gives 200% in everything she does and you can see her dying with excitement every time she performs with Steps. In a lot of ways she’s still a wannabe who can’t believe she gets to do this (for a second time).

                She was an utter meme waiting to happen in every scene on Totally Scott Lee, so she should be glad it predates them

                I’ve been listening to this album all day. 11 times actually, according to my Last FM! Singles aside, I think Clouds, To The Beat of My Heart and Heartbreak in This City are my favs. Heartbreak in This City gets my vote as 3rd single anyway.

                Listening to it and the one thing I really want is a typical Steps ballad with a parse production like ‘When I Said Goodbye’. I have really fallen in love with ‘Under My Skin’ and really wish there was an acoustic version.
                Queuing for Girls Aloud reunion tickets since 2013

                #FreeBritney

                Comment


                • #33
                  #2 in the U.K. midweeks behind Gary Barlow, currently with 1,500
                  copies between the two acts.

                  Comment


                  • #34
                    Originally posted by menime123 View Post

                    Lisa is a Queen. She gives 200% in everything she does and you can see her dying with excitement every time she performs with Steps. In a lot of ways she’s still a wannabe who can’t believe she gets to do this (for a second time).

                    She was an utter meme waiting to happen in every scene on Totally Scott Lee, so she should be glad it predates them

                    I’ve been listening to this album all day. 11 times actually, according to my Last FM! Singles aside, I think Clouds, To The Beat of My Heart and Heartbreak in This City are my favs. Heartbreak in This City gets my vote as 3rd single anyway.

                    Listening to it and the one thing I really want is a typical Steps ballad with a parse production like ‘When I Said Goodbye’. I have really fallen in love with ‘Under My Skin’ and really wish there was an acoustic version.

                    Aw! Bless her; she’s so sweet since the day one!

                    Been reading UkMix everyday for well more than a decade now, and Here I am posting

                    Comment


                    • #35
                      Ok! I just cannot stop playing this album; it really is a pop masterpiece to my ears; I haven’t loved an album this much since last i remember! How come this came has with no fillers at all? The music on this one is camp; groovy, lively and above all totally amazing to listen to. I’m on cloud nine for sure; this is also my all time favorite Steps album as well; so happy all of them have their share of vocals! ...love this already and endlessly!
                      Been reading UkMix everyday for well more than a decade now, and Here I am posting

                      Comment


                      • #36
                        Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                        #2 in the U.K. midweeks behind Gary Barlow, currently with 1,500
                        copies between the two acts.
                        They should get that No.1; not that I don’t like Gary, but if Steps are in between then there’s no chance i would go for Gary instead.
                        Been reading UkMix everyday for well more than a decade now, and Here I am posting

                        Comment


                        • #37
                          I love all tracks from start to finish but for some reason right now I’m secretly hoping To The One becomes the next single! It really is beautiful inside and out; it makes me cry and laugh at the same time.
                          Been reading UkMix everyday for well more than a decade now, and Here I am posting

                          Comment


                          • #38
                            Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                            #2 in the U.K. midweeks behind Gary Barlow, currently with 1,500
                            copies between the two acts.
                            Shit. I don’t see them closing that gap, sadly. Although Miley will probably come up riding on her streams... still a top 3 album for Steps in 2020 - amazing!
                            Queuing for Girls Aloud reunion tickets since 2013

                            #FreeBritney

                            Comment


                            • #39
                              Good for them charting so high. I like how they're so unashamedly pop in 2020, been a long time since pop music was...well, pop.

                              Comment


                              • #40
                                Originally posted by oaknuys View Post
                                Ok! I just cannot stop playing this album; it really is a pop masterpiece to my ears; I haven’t loved an album this much since last i remember! How come this came has with no fillers at all? The music on this one is camp; groovy, lively and above all totally amazing to listen to. I’m on cloud nine for sure; this is also my all time favorite Steps album as well; so happy all of them have their share of vocals! ...love this already and endlessly!

                                I still think Tears on The Dancefloor is the better album of the two (and their best album overall) but this comes in at a very worthy second place!

                                Its so weird, that Steps came back from the wilderness and have produced their best work. Sure, the singles from the first time around were completely stellar, but their albums had a lot of filler... and you’re right - this album is filler free. Same with TOAD.

                                I’m loving the vocal distribution on this one too - they basically all get a solo on every song from what I can tell! Justice for Lee at last

                                Why they went with a Christmas album in 2012 I’ll never know (which in fairness, isn’t all bad). But I loved the single from that. To be honest their singles have been incredible too since they returned:

                                1. Light Up The World
                                2. Scared of The Dark
                                3. Story of a Heart
                                4. Neon Blue
                                5. Dancing With a Broken Heart
                                6. What The Future Holds
                                7. Something in Your Eyes

                                It’s such a strong line up and to be honest, the makings of a real greatest hits worthy of challenging Gold album.

                                The more I listen to The Beat of My Heart/Heartbreak in This City, the more obvious they become as contenders as 3rd/4th single and would sit very comfortable in the above list. I really love Under My Skin and would have been happy with that as a single too.

                                It’s also probably unintentional, but I love that their last album was called ‘Tears on the Dancefloor’ and the opening lyric on this next is ‘One more tear drop’
                                Queuing for Girls Aloud reunion tickets since 2013

                                #FreeBritney

                                Comment


                                • #41
                                  Originally posted by Thombus View Post
                                  Good for them charting so high. I like how they're so unashamedly pop in 2020, been a long time since pop music was...well, pop.
                                  This! Teenagers are only interested in noise and songs that work on a Tik Tok app. They’ll never know the unashamed joy of pure pop music.
                                  Queuing for Girls Aloud reunion tickets since 2013

                                  #FreeBritney

                                  Comment


                                  • #42
                                    Originally posted by Thombus View Post
                                    Good for them charting so high. I like how they're so unashamedly pop in 2020, been a long time since pop music was...well, pop.
                                    This album is really a pop perfection to its core; as you noted a rarity in today’s music.
                                    Been reading UkMix everyday for well more than a decade now, and Here I am posting

                                    Comment


                                    • #43
                                      Originally posted by menime123 View Post

                                      Shit. I don’t see them closing that gap, sadly. Although Miley will probably come up riding on her streams... still a top 3 album for Steps in 2020 - amazing!

                                      lol one can dream ;) I’m still hopeful for a miracle lol

                                      Been reading UkMix everyday for well more than a decade now, and Here I am posting

                                      Comment


                                      • #44
                                        Originally posted by menime123 View Post


                                        I still think Tears on The Dancefloor is the better album of the two (and their best album overall) but this comes in at a very worthy second place!

                                        Its so weird, that Steps came back from the wilderness and have produced their best work. Sure, the singles from the first time around were completely stellar, but their albums had a lot of filler... and you’re right - this album is filler free. Same with TOAD.

                                        I’m loving the vocal distribution on this one too - they basically all get a solo on every song from what I can tell! Justice for Lee at last

                                        Why they went with a Christmas album in 2012 I’ll never know (which in fairness, isn’t all bad). But I loved the single from that. To be honest their singles have been incredible too since they returned:

                                        1. Light Up The World
                                        2. Scared of The Dark
                                        3. Story of a Heart
                                        4. Neon Blue
                                        5. Dancing With a Broken Heart
                                        6. What The Future Holds
                                        7. Something in Your Eyes

                                        It’s such a strong line up and to be honest, the makings of a real greatest hits worthy of challenging Gold album.

                                        The more I listen to The Beat of My Heart/Heartbreak in This City, the more obvious they become as contenders as 3rd/4th single and would sit very comfortable in the above list. I really love Under My Skin and would have been happy with that as a single too.

                                        It’s also probably unintentional, but I love that their last album was called ‘Tears on the Dancefloor’ and the opening lyric on this next is ‘One more tear drop’
                                        Glad we’re on the same page on all accounts regarding this album ;) it really is a marvelous piece and a god sent gift from the heavens of the pop music!

                                        btw... Clouds is having some distinct Ace of Base vibes as well; I also heavily root for Beat Of My Heart! That one is pure fire and will make a fascinating video if done right. Lol... at this point I’m all in love if all songs get released one way or another! Lol ;) the joy this album gave me is quite similar to the joy I would receive from late outstanding 90s albums... I’m seriously looking back and I cannot remember if an album made me this joyous this much... it must have been a decade or more since i was filled with a happy heart like this one Haha... agreed; Steps earlier album in their heyday used to have fillers in between their hit singles lol but this time around all we got is pure gold! And I’m agreed; a reissue of Gold is quite a worthy addition at this point!
                                        Been reading UkMix everyday for well more than a decade now, and Here I am posting

                                        Comment


                                        • #45
                                          I’m really enjoying this album. It’s amazing to think that a band I loved as a child some 20 years+ ago can still satisfy my musical needs in my mid thirties.

                                          Highlights at the moment:
                                          WTFH - still such a great pop track. I’m not really sure why they needed two versions on the album though tbh.
                                          Something in Your Eyes - such a killer pop track.
                                          Under My Skin - a beautifully crafted song that I cannot stop listening to. My pick for the next single.
                                          Heartbreak in the City - probably the most interesting song on the album. It’s very well written / produced.
                                          Come and Dance With Me - one of my absolute favourites. Great production and reminds me of some of their older Buzz tracks.
                                          Hold My Heart - not really hearing the BTMYH comparisons, but it’s a beautiful song.

                                          Two other observations...
                                          1) I’m absolutely GUTTED that Don’t You Leave Us Halfway isn’t some kind of Thelma Houston tribute.
                                          2) Thinking about Under My Skin which gives me slight Heartbeat vibes, have Steps ever released a proper, full blown power ballad as a single? I can’t think of one... Perhaps When I Said Goodbye, but I was never a huge fan of that one and I don’t find it particularly powerful lol. Hand On Your Heart is their best one off the top of my head.
                                          Last edited by Airwrecka; Sat November 28, 2020, 19:07.

                                          Comment


                                          • #46
                                            Originally posted by Airwrecka View Post
                                            I’m really enjoying this album. It’s amazing to think that a band I loved as a child some 20 years+ ago can still satisfy my musical needs in my mid thirties.

                                            Highlights at the moment:
                                            WTFH - still such a great pop track. I’m not really sure why they needed two versions on the album though tbh.
                                            Something in Your Eyes - such a killer pop track.
                                            Under My Skin - a beautifully crafted song that I cannot stop listening to. My pick for the next single.
                                            Heartbreak in the City - probably the most interesting song on the album. It’s very well written / produced.
                                            Come and Dance With Me - one of my absolute favourites. Great production and reminds me of some of their older Buzz tracks.
                                            Hold My Heart - not really hearing the BTMYH comparisons, but it’s a beautiful song.

                                            Two other observations...
                                            1) I’m absolutely GUTTED that Don’t You Leave Us Halfway isn’t some kind of Thelma Houston tribute.
                                            2) Thinking about Under My Skin which gives me slight Heartbeat vibes, have Steps ever released a proper, full blown power ballad as a single? I can’t think of one... Perhaps When I Said Goodbye, but I was never a huge fan of that one and I don’t find it particularly powerful lol. Hand On Your Heart is their best one off the top of my head.
                                            Perhaps their very best ballad ever was and still is I Know Him So Well; shame it never got a video or a proper release treatment.

                                            As for What The Future Holds I’m also wondering why they haven’t used the album version as the album opener instead of adding two versions at once; I would have been so happier if a ballad version of the same track was around to finish the album with / as a bonus track.

                                            The vibes of Come And Think Of Me took right back to Buzz days as well; for some cool reason it sounds like an uptempo version of Paradise Lost in its chorus selection.
                                            Been reading UkMix everyday for well more than a decade now, and Here I am posting

                                            Comment


                                            • #47
                                              Originally posted by oaknuys View Post

                                              Perhaps their very best ballad ever was and still is I Know Him So Well; shame it never got a video or a proper release treatment.
                                              Completely agree! There’s is my favourite version and the girls brilliant on it. Light Up The World is probably the closest try came to an all out power ballad though. Claire did a solo ballad version of Deeper Shade of Blue that I love too.

                                              I’ve removed the single mix of What The Future Holds from the album. I was tempted to leave my playlist with Something In Your Eyes as the album opener, but I’ve just pushed the full album version from the end to the start now... and I’m used to the extra verse now too (and the outro is much better). I seriously don’t understand the need for the single mix to exist to be honest. However I’d love an acoustic version of the song (like Scared of The Dark had).... maybe on the reissue version?

                                              I’ve decided ‘Don’t You Leave Us Halfway’ sounds like ‘Space Between Us’.
                                              Queuing for Girls Aloud reunion tickets since 2013

                                              #FreeBritney

                                              Comment


                                              • #48
                                                Originally posted by menime123 View Post

                                                Completely agree! There’s is my favourite version and the girls brilliant on it. Light Up The World is probably the closest try came to an all out power ballad though. Claire did a solo ballad version of Deeper Shade of Blue that I love too.

                                                I’ve removed the single mix of What The Future Holds from the album. I was tempted to leave my playlist with Something In Your Eyes as the album opener, but I’ve just pushed the full album version from the end to the start now... and I’m used to the extra verse now too (and the outro is much better). I seriously don’t understand the need for the single mix to exist to be honest. However I’d love an acoustic version of the song (like Scared of The Dark had).... maybe on the reissue version?

                                                I’ve decided ‘Don’t You Leave Us Halfway’ sounds like ‘Space Between Us’.

                                                I’m also thinking to remove the single version and put the album version as the opener as the extra verse is quite nice and as you noted the outro is even more epic as well or maybe as you said leave the album version as the last track that there it is and open it up with Something In Your Eyes instead. I just put the Cahil and 7th Heaven Radio Mixes as the bonus tracks as well. ...I hope Almighty and Sleaze Sisters come back from the other world and do some remixes for this album too lol ;) lol

                                                PS I think i may go crazy in the coming days as I’m on a constant repeat of the album through my headphones lol lol can’t stop and won’t stop it ;)

                                                btw; supposedly they played some unreleased remixes on their FB live show that happened just a few hours ago... I’m wondering what they could have been lol sad that I missed the event.
                                                Been reading UkMix everyday for well more than a decade now, and Here I am posting

                                                Comment


                                                • #49
                                                  Originally posted by adamf2thedeath View Post
                                                  Is there no Steps album thread for the new era or even charts and sales?!
                                                  cant you start one? I don’t know where you find all the sales data etc :-O

                                                  Comment


                                                  • #50
                                                    I read elsewhere they closed the gap by 200 sales, but Gary has been on Graham Norton and is performing on Strictly Come Dancing tonight, which should give him the required edge. Which in fairness is terrible as Faye was a contestant!

                                                    Considering they were signing Christmas card bundles over the last few days, I wonder if these have already been reported? They haven’t been posted, so not sure if they can be reported yet?

                                                    They are all together at the moment but from what I can tell, have no TV performances planned - so they’re trying to sell albums without letting people hear the music (which is all kinds of Madonna madness).

                                                    Sales of 21,000+ would have given them a #1 most of the year, so it’s really annoying. However, let’s not overlook the fact Steps in 2020 have sold fantastically well in Q4 against Miley Cyrus and Gary Barlow. It also almost equals their opening week for TOAD which had 27,000 opening sales.
                                                    Queuing for Girls Aloud reunion tickets since 2013

                                                    #FreeBritney

                                                    Comment

                                                    Working...
                                                    X