No announcement yet.

Ariana Grande - Positions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hmmmm....this album gives me MOAIA....kind of mellow and lush harmonies.

Comment

• I don't think the album is nearly as dull as I was led to believe it would be!

There's several tracks I'm enjoying - favorite tracks are motive, my hair, nasty, love language, and pov.

Comment

• On my second listen "motive" grew on me some more and "my hair" & "safety net" grew on me. The title track also sounds more interesting on the album but maybe because the other tracks are so uninteresting? Track 7-Track 12 is definitely the strongest part of the album.

"shit up" remains horrible and I don’t like "six thirty" either. It sounds like one of the ringtones from Bieber's last album.
        Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

• The more I listen to this, the better it gets. Yes it misses the obvious pop stand-outs But as a body it works. I am just such a sucker for a good use of strings.
          I would love her to do one of these online concerts and performa show with a violist/harpist and see songs like shut up come to life in a live setting

Comment

• Originally posted by IVyoncé View Post
            Like if you overall liked her sound and in particular the R&B leaning tracks on Yours Truly, sweetener and thank u, next, then I could see those people really enjoying this or atleast grow on them. If you are more into obvious instant commercial cuts like Break Free, Be Alright, God Is A Woman, Problem, Into You, no tears left to cry, bloodline etc. than this might be harder to digest.
            So basically if you love any of her good songs, this album isn’t for you.

Anyway, I gave up after track 6. What a snore!

Comment

• Originally posted by Airwrecka View Post

So basically if you love any of her good songs, this album isn’t for you.

Anyway, I gave up after track 6. What a snore!
              Basically what 'you' seem to consider a good song then good thing taste is still subjective

Comment

Basically what 'you' seem to consider a good song then good thing taste is still subjective
                I was joking because you listed all of my favourites. Believe it or not, I am aware that taste is subjective.

Comment

• The second half of the album is better IMO than the first, so I think you cut out too early.

Comment

• I got that you were joking Airwrecka

Comment

• Originally posted by bm08 View Post
                      This is my first Ariana album I listened to in full. It's just okay for me.

I love The Weeknd song most perhaps.
                      As I know you are a huge Mariah fan I would recommend you to listen to it a bit more. There are loads of vocal harmonies and stuff in the tracks that I only noticed or picked up on repeated listens. It reminds me a lot of MOAIA in parts, dunno if that's your favourite or not

Comment

• I just got through my first spin of the album and it's okay. As if to underscore that verdict, Spotify went to auto-play "God Is a Woman" when I was done with "POV" and I had to scream.

"34+35", "Motive", "Off the Table", "Safety Net", and "POV" are the early standouts.
                        Your heart is coloured with the love wrapped in the brilliant blue sky above, the breadth of the jewelled oceans, and the pure heat of the golden sun. And your heart is home to the cosmic creation that is you.

Comment

• OK after the first listen, agree with what most people have said. Album is just so-so or meh. Reminds me alot of Brandy's recent album, loungy evening rnb, tirring background vocals/harmonisation and you can barely hear or make out what she's trying to say about. Just not very memorable.

The good stuff:
                          * POV - could well be the best track on the album for me, will definitely listen to this more. Very old school rnb which i like.
                          * Motive - quite like the funkiness of this song, though Doja doesn't add much to this song for me her voice is a bit grating after the mushy/smooth tone of Arianas.

The bad:
                          * Lacks the same catchy singles as some of her previous albums.
                          * She sounds like Brandy on some of the songs (i.e. off the table, safety net). The vocal harmonisation and backgrounds is typical Ariana but they have a Brandy blend that just makes it sound like a mush. This sort of sound is OK in moderation but a whole song or 3/4 of the album sounding this way (like Brandy's is just a tiring listen).
                          * Ariana's style for me doesn't quite reach greatness due to her lazy and sloppy enunciation. She has the pipes but lacks the tone and cut through sound like the Vocal Trinity. * The Weekend collab is such a disappointment after Love Me Harder which is one of her best songs. It's OK, but i was hoping for mucch more.

Comment

• I guess she'll move on from this album rlly quickly.

This is not an album for a list pop star.
                            i would appreciate r&b album from her, but this is just lazy af and doesn't bring anything, sounds like last minute project.

This album would be a great introduction for some new artist (maybe not even a real proper album, just ep)
                            BEST SONGS&ALBUMS OF 2017
                            YOURS, FOREVER. // JOSS JONES (Tracklist)

Comment

• As someone who likes her R&B songs("Imagine" is one of my favorite songs from her), this album is right up my alley. Love the song with The Weeknd, I dunno if that will be a single in the future but at the very least, they should push it to R&B stations.

Comment

The more I listen to this, the better it gets. Yes it misses the obvious pop stand-outs But as a body it works. I am just such a sucker for a good use of strings.
                                I agree! This album is such a vibe. It gets better with every listen.
                                "I see it, I like it, I want it... I GOT IT."

Comment

• This is a strong choice for a third single, this track is FIRE. It would definitely work around Christmas. Obvious.

Comment

• This is not a bad album by any means but I have the impression that Ariana's holding back, vocally. I get what she was trying to accomplish with this record but it's way too uneventful and monotonous for me to enjoy this as a whole. The second half might be getting more inspiring and interesting but Ariana's enunciation has got worse, no? - I miss her impactful and impressive vocals on this record. She's still serving some lovely melodies and harmonies but they can't really come alive due to the laid-back and same-y production - She should have kept that "style" for a handful of tracks for another album.

After "sweetener" and "thank u, next" - this is quite a letdown and I don't think that I will buy this record anytime soon.
                                    Mainshow Goes Diva: Kylie Minogue

Comment

• IVyoncé Know me though, sis!! Not a lie spotted, on my third play and this album is yummy!
                                      Not the Summer Walker "Over It" silky moment I was expecting (and tbh that's fine that her sound), but she's digging deep into her own R&B vibey lane with lush vocals and HARMONIES.

You pop Ari stans can seethe and go play My Featurings.

**hits blunts**

My Hair + Nasty is a very very very RUDE combo. Wow ponytail miss bitch. Both songs are fire. Snatch me up a bit.

Did she really sing the whole last chorus of My hair via whistle?!?!?!?! wtf. siiiinnnngggggg

Nasty is everything I wanted and more from the snippet. Almost started humping my bed mid play.

The Abel song is IMMENSE. Deep vibey alt R&B tune. Ponytail and them heavenly vocals really take it there and do something to me towards the end.

Love the Violins throughout the album. I have a love for adding organic instruments to modern productions. Although Shut Up, 34 + 35 and six thirty sound a bit like they are inspired by the Wii.

Still digesting but I LOVE it. Ponytail is definitely in her Brandy/Mariah bag on this album. Definitely competes with Thank U Next as my fav (Sweetener/DW may still tug a wig), but idk if it beats it yet. Doesn't pack that fire punch that TUN had, but is so full with vibes, vocals, layers etc. Right up my alley.

Edit: Safety Net just clicked yes ma'am!! West Side rides too. Love Language is groovy and cute.
                                      Last edited by ThaInfo1; Sat October 31, 2020, 05:43.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainshow View Post
                                        This is not a bad album by any means but I have the impression that Ariana's holding back, vocally.
                                        I keep reading that her fans say she doesn't really like doing ballads/big-vocal songs but I'm not sure how accurate that is.

Comment

• 71 at Metacritic based on 11 reviews so far

That's actually a good score. Wasn't sure if critics will enjoy this as much as TUN (and they don't, as TUN has a score of 86 based on 24 reviews), but 71 is still a very good score for an album by a mainstream artist. Still her second worst score to date, only "My Everything" had worse reviews (64).

Comment

• Defo getting Mariah MOAIA from this
                                            LJC--->>

Comment

• Doja Cat took OVA!
                                              Last edited by Loose; Sat October 31, 2020, 11:59.
                                              My last.fm

Comment

• I haven't listened to the whole thing properly yet but I did have a flick through the tracks. It's all very mid-tempo which is what I had feared, I did hope for a couple of bops after Rain On Me, but maybe the album will grow on me.
                                                1 Senhit |2 Birdy|3 Hooverphonic|4 Victoria |5 Albina

Comment

• the CD is already here

Comment

• Originally posted by abi View Post
                                                    I didn't really pay attention to the lyrics but is this album really about sex though? Cause I feel like her delivery & the production overall are very cutesy/sweet.
                                                    So making love with someone and talking about it in a song can only be "naughty or dirty"? I seriously can't get some comments in this day and age, lol.

The album was a bit of a disappointment to me, and I love R&B music. But this was quite uninspired and pretty boring and samey. Loved some tracks though, like: "Safety net" (my favorite), Nasty, Motive, Off the table, Just like magic, Positions and POV. Might grow on me but some songs like "Shut Up", "My Hair" or "Love Language" will never be the case, they are pretty ugly to me.

Still, this might grow on me without the songs I didn't like, I definitely find it way way better than "Sweetener".
                                                    Last edited by DoesAnybody; Sat October 31, 2020, 21:35.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X