No announcement yet.

Kelly Rowland - K (EP)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I expected nothing but it’s a nice set, I like the nod to Afro beats which runs throughout, and her voice glides beautifully over it.

Comment

A solid EP, but at this point I need an album

Comment

Buy and stream!
        Last edited by Rebey123; Sat February 20, 2021, 21:37.

Comment

I listened to Flowers, and I liked it alot - but I just can't muster the interest to listen to it as it feels like such an anti climax.
          thank u, next

Comment

Flowers - blah

Black Magic has an interesting sound and rhythm to it. I don’t hate it.

Hitman is probably the closest to what‘s a hit on this EP. Got a bit generic though by now coz I have overplayed it already.

Crazy - not crazy about it.

Speed of Love - wow. This is better than expected. Simple acoustic song, however cute.

Better could have been better.

Overall a cute EP for Mess Kelly fans. However, it’s pointless.
            My last.fm

Comment

I love Flowers and the video is stunning. Haven't listened to Speed Of Love and Better in full yet, but they both sound kinda "meh".
              Overall, I still think this EP release is pretty useless. It will be forgotten in a week. Which is a shame because I think the sonic and visual influences on this could have made for a great album.

Comment

This EP will be something that people will be asking Kelly to return to in the future just like her dance music and her song Coffee.

I find it absolutely hilarious that people were so disappointed by Coffee not making this track list when at the time of it's release it had gotten nothing but disappointing views , especially by her disgruntled EDM fans, now all of a sudden everyone finds it to be a good track.
                I predict the exact same to happen in relation to this EP.

Here's my review

Flowers- very haunting and mysterious, full of emotion and her vocal layering is so captivating , reminiscent of the singer Brandy.
                the song is better with ear phones.

Black Magic has a beautiful instrumental, the vocals and lyrics had to grow on me and it has.

Hitman- is simply a very great highlight of this album, it's super catchy and I've yet to grow tired of it, it gives me a lot of energy.

Crazy- is a smooth but bouncy song , great Car music or music to pass the time.

Speed of love- is a beautiful and sultry record. I looove the low note she sings while saying Hurricane, this song to me is the overall best produced and written song of this album. I have no critique for this song , it's absolutely flawless.

Better- has a very beautiful island vibe and it only makes me wonder how coffee could have flowed beautifully into this song ,
                it's sexy but of course the lyrics are about being cherish better.

I play the entire thing repeatedly. It's a wonderful EP and makes me want a album as well.

..But I am not rushing her because people aren't even appreciating this body of work properly , so I am not rushing her to throw something else out to be yet again underappreciated.
                Last edited by Rebey123; Sat February 20, 2021, 21:36.

Comment

Speed of Love is busy growing.
                  My last.fm

Comment

Originally posted by Rebey123 View Post
                    I find it absolutely hilarious that people were so disappointed by Coffee not making this track list when at the time of it's release it had gotten nothing but disappointing views , especially by her disgruntled EDM fans, now all of a sudden everyone finds it to be a good track.
                    No cause I think everyone was expecting her to have a COMEBACK when she announced "Coffee" - especially with the hype going on on social media, so when it turned out to be a very lowkey midtempo album track-esque everyone was kinda disappointed. But it wasn't a bad track at all and certainly the one of better ones out of her most recent tracks.
                    UKMIX R&B/Hip-Hop Albums of the Year 2020 (VOTING OPENS!)

Comment

Originally posted by abi View Post
                      No cause I think everyone was expecting her to have a COMEBACK when she announced "Coffee" - especially with the hype going on on social media, so when it turned out to be a very lowkey midtempo album track-esque everyone was kinda disappointed. But it wasn't a bad track at all and certainly the one of better ones out of her most recent tracks.
                      Coffee may be her most visual pleasing video. She looks literal FIRE and I don't get it isn;t included because it has the most views out of her videos of the last 12 months

Comment

Personally I think COFFEE is a rather lazy effort minus the HQ music video for it.

But still... the song without the video just isn’t great.
                        My last.fm

Comment

The Flowers video is beautiful! Kel is such a beauty!
                          Life tastes better with music

Comment

I absolutely adore Coffee, but I know I have an unpopular opinion of wanting kelendria on some R&B.

The way she rides the beat is just...**chef kiss**

anyways, I only really rock with Speed of Love on this. Everything else is just eh...

I personally don't care for this mama afrobeat sound on her.

Comment

Listened to this for the first time today and really enjoyed it. Always felt her albums were a bit much, so a succinct, sultry effort is appreciated.

Comment

An acoustic-ish ballad entitled “Speed of Love” touches down next and delivers a satisfying serving of straight-ahead R&B that probably has its place as a 2021 quiet storm gem already mapped out. While it’s not the EP’s most unexpected moment, the warm strum of the song’s production really spotlights a beautifully smoky quality in Rowland’s voice. There is a moment during the song’s bridge where I kind of expected her voice to soar towards the rafters, but her tender performance greatly underscores the tune’s overall message of not rushing things. It appears that love flows at a speed that is mindful and gentle.

Album closer “Better” brings things full circle as it balances a steady pulsing Afro-Caribbean sound with the tenderness of a straight-from-the-heart piano ballad. Our songstress gives us fields of vulnerability during the song’s quieter moments while simultaneously serving up a confident “fight for love ” aura during the clubbier moments of the production.
                                Last edited by Rebey123; Sat April 3, 2021, 22:19.

Comment

Opening number “Flowers” has a tense, torch-song-meets-dark-electro-ballad weightiness to it. Starting with a pulsating synth-bass note and some shivery tones, the tune kicks things off in a somewhat weighty way. However, once Kelly’s sobering lead vocals and panoramic harmonies stride to the forefront, we are washed in a very vulnerable wave of energy from the vocalist. The song’s repeating “let me bow my head “refrain evokes a sense of reverence that borders on the spiritual. And the serious-minded lyrics convey an important message of showing your loved ones the love and appreciation that they deserve while there is still time to do so. Since I’m not as familiar with Kelly’s solo work as I probably should be, I was expecting K to start off with a bright dance number. So beginning things with something as powerful as “Flowers” quickly made me sit up and pay attention a little bit more than I had been.

Follow-up numbers “Black Magic” and “Hitman” allow Rowland to dive into some quickening afrobeat waters. The former (which has a well-layered funk-45 quality about it) is a fully charged celebration of black life. I almost immediately fell in love with the dusty horn samples and the “lively up yourself” rhythms. The latter keeps the African connections thumping along but digs even more into its afro-funk genes as a sample from the incomparable Fela Kuti gets the good vibes flowing. This time around Ms. Kelly turns on a bit of bewitching charm and impresses as a tempting queen of the dance that’s on the hunt for a man who is skilled at “beating it up”. Both entries showcase Kelly’s talent for straddling the sort of songs that needs to feel bright and breezy with a touch of sexy magic

pleasantly surprised I was by this album and how quickly it drew me in. I can’t really speak to whether or not this project displays artistic boundary-pushing for Kelly Rowland, but I think her experiments in afrobeat / afro-funk rooted sounds are especially impressive. I can’t imagine that this EP isn’t just a taste of a longer, fuller project set to drop in the near future. If that’s the case, I’m really looking forward to hearing where the former Destiny’s Child member plans to take her sound next.

You can show your support by streaming the K EP on your favorite digital music spot below as well as check out more from Kelly Rowland by visiting the links listed.

https://italmassive.com/archives/29540

Comment

Here's the first performance of Hitman

https://youtu.be/DwrPEe2Cs2g

Comment

I bow down down for Kelly... I love her energy and all the positive vibes she spreads out in her Performances!
                                      Life tastes better with music

Comment

Working...
                                      X