Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UKMIX R&B/Hip-Hop AOTY 2020 | #1 FINALLY REVEALED!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It was my #6 so this is nice. VII is her best album though.

Comment

• The album was dope. If she comes back to music, I definitely was her to give a more shorter and focused album. I know for a fact she made it this long for everyone complaining the KTSE was too short lol. A petty bitch.

Comment

JoJo, Good To Know

* Voted by: Noahh, Loose (#1), Mugen, JeremySpears, Marchum, Thombus, minime, firefly_86, JSparksFan, bm08, Thriller, ThaInfo1 (#1), Ska8er
        * Year-End Chart History: Mad Love (2016, #9), The High Road (2000s, #87)

* Genre(s): R&B
        * Highlights: "Man”, "Comeback” (feat. Tory Lanez & 30 Roc), "What U Need”, "Think About You”, "So Bad”

Good to Know is the fourth studio album by American singer-songwriter JoJo. The album was released on May 1, 2020, marking JoJo's first release since leaving Atlantic Records and launching her own record label imprint Clover Music through a joint venture with Warner Records. The album's first single "Man" was released on March 13, 2020, along with the song's accompanying music video. The promotional single, "Lonely Hearts", was released on April 24, 2020. It received critical acclaim from contemporary music critics, with many praising its mature tone as well as JoJo's musical and vocal growth.

An acoustic version of the album was released on July 10, 2020 assisted by the release of the acoustic version of "Think About You", and later, JoJo would release a deluxe edition of the album on August 28, 2020. The deluxe edition was preceded by the release of a new single, "What U Need". The deluxe edition also included a remix of "Lonely Hearts" featuring American singer Demi Lovato.

Writing for This Is R&B, Dai Poole praised JoJo's growth as a vocalist and storyteller "each ad-lib and melisma feels deliberate [...] Each song on this album could stand on its own, but collectively they create an experience. If Good To Know is a snapshot of JoJo’s life these past few years, we can’t wait for our next musical conversation with the talented star. Sean Maunier from Metro Weekly said the album finds JoJo sounding relaxed, at ease with herself, and its assured tone nicely complements its self-love vibes "it may be a one-note album, but it delivers plenty of good feelings packaged with low synths, slick R&B production and some truly head-turning vocals."

Originally posted by DnBLover View Post
        The production on this is mostly fantastic. Right up my alley. Pedialyte, Comeback, Think About You are my top 3 so far. There really isn't a meh song here. Very cohesive piece of work.
        Originally posted by Pompeii View Post
        She's captured such a vibe with this. It’s seriously her best work yet.
        Originally posted by Eamon View Post
        I had to login to comment on this album. Whether it’s my age or what, but new music and albums haven’t exactly excited me much over the last 5 years or so beyond a few notable exceptions. I’ve always had an interest in JoJo but it’s been very fleeting and I usually grow tired of her stuff after a few listens. This album has completely captured my attention. It’s a total mood. I love the very dark, sensual melodies. The production really complements and adds to the mood, heavy bass and urban/R&B beats and then stripped back acoustic moments and strings on other songs. It most definitely is the best Joanna has sounded on record. I think the album sequence is really great too. There’s always a song to look forward to, to keep listening till the end and it’s short enough so no filler.
        Originally posted by SweetNothings View Post
        This is her best album. Every song is ******* dope and the production is top notch. I love her forever.
        Originally posted by ThaInfo1 View Post
        I wish the Intro was a full thing now lol. Wow Joanna did you really just f*** me up like that with this album? Trying so hard not to overplay it. Literally just want it on repeat.
        Originally posted by Loose View Post
        THE standout R&B album of the year. She has covered EVERY R&B subgenre there is on this album and delivered a raw, intimate and sexual body of work. Even the deluxe edition ain't that bad compared to most re-releases these days.

Comment

• Here you go our #4! R&Bmix's second favorite indie girl after Tinashe!

Noahh Loose Leo Mugen Jonathan JeremySpears Marchum Thombus Ruthymon minime BeeBoy heppolo firefly_86 LittleArsonist JSparksFan bm08 Aaronsmithjune1 Thriller ThaInfo1 cheapthrills Ska8er Goldmoney likeidogoldlink NormiMalone

Comment

• While y'all stream "Man", don't forget to also check out its twin sister, "Ex" by Kiana Lede! #getthatpromo

Comment

• ThaInfo1 Apparently we have taste, sis

This IS the R&B record of 2020 and we‘re thankful for it. Girl did GREAT!

Pedialyte is such a banger.
              What happened to the vibing? Boy, you killed it. | My last.fm

Comment

• I thoroughly enjoyed this album! Jojo did a wonderful job with it
                See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• It really was a great R&B album from an unusual source!

Comment

• Yeah I didn't expect to like Good to Know as much as I did. Nothing groundbreaking but enjoyable.
                    Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

• The whole album is a mood. I wasn't sure it'd be my kind of thing because it's JoJo and even after all these years I see her as this tween pop girl with a strong voice, but I caved and listened and was suitably impressed!
                      UKMix Best Debut Single - Countdown

Comment

• Some definite highlights on this album. I ended up not really playing it that much but Jojo deserves all the praise. I did love the mood of the album and I have to go back and revisit it
                        I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
                        I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Comment

• Originally posted by abi View Post
                          While y'all stream "Man", don't forget to also check out its twin sister, "Ex" by Kiana Lede! #getthatpromo

I guess KIKI didn't make it then

She was so good on Scream btw.

Spoiler!

Comment

• Originally posted by Loose View Post
                            ThaInfo1 Apparently we have taste, sis

This IS the R&B record of 2020 and we‘re thankful for it. Girl did GREAT!

Pedialyte is such a banger.
                            And you said we don't agree on anything. look at us now!

Joanna came saw and conquered (my ears) with this album. Ponytail tried it with the Position drop but this one came out strong in the end.

Gold >>>>>>>>>>

Comment

Jhené Aiko, Chilombo

* Voted by: Leo, Marchum, minime (#2), BeeBoy, firefly_86 (#1), LittleArsonist (#2), JSparksFan, bm08, aaronsmithjune01, ThaInfo1, ThaInfo1, Ska8er, abi (#1), likeidogoldlink
                              * Year-End Chart History: Trip (2017, #10), Souled Out (2014, #9), Sailout (2013, #23)

* Genre(s): R&B, Alt-R&B, Neo soul
                              * Highlights: "B.S.” (feat. H.E.R.), "Triggered (freestyle)”, "P*SSY Fairy (OTW)”, "Born Tired”, "None of Your Concern” (feat. Big Sean), "Speak”

Chilombo is the third studio album by American singer Jhené Aiko. It was released on March 6, 2020, by ArtClub International, ARTium Recordings, and Def Jam Recordings. Following the release of Trip and her split with rapper Big Sean, with whom she formed the duo Twenty88, Aiko began work on Chilombo. Recorded as a freestyle in Hawaii, the album was inspired by the island's natural landscape and features traditional singing bowls to create a tranquil effect. In order to create her desired sound, Aiko served as the album's executive producer, enlisting the help of long time collaborators Fisticuffs and Lejkeys, who produced eighteen of the album's songs.

Chilombo consists of twenty songs and features a variety of guests including rappers Nas, Ty Dolla Sign and Future, as well as R&B singers John Legend, Miguel, and H.E.R. Chilombo is an atmospheric R&B album, that takes influence from quiet storm. The album production features soft and dulled percussion and drifting keys. The album's lyrics focus on the ups and downs of life after a break-up and vaguely tells the story of a woman who has suffered heartbreak before emerging stronger. The album featured a range of guests including rappers Nas, Ty Dolla Sign and Future, as well as R&B singers John Legend, Miguel, and H.E.R.. The deluxe edition of the album was released on July 17, 2020, and includes appearances from Kehlani, Mila J, Chris Brown, Snoop Dogg and Wiz Khalifa.

Chilombo received generally positive reviews from critics and was a commercial success. The album debuted at number two on the US Billboard 200 chart, earning 152,000 album-equivalent units in its first week. It was also certified platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) in January 2021. At the 63rd Annual Grammy Awards, the album received three nominations: Album of the Year and Best Progressive R&B Album, and Best R&B Performance for "Lightning & Thunder".

Originally posted by abi View Post
                              Nominated for Album of the Year at the GRAMMYs I KNEW IIIITTTTTT! Whoop whooooop! Probably one of my fave R&B releases of the year so far along with CxH.
                              Originally posted by basticasas View Post
                              B.S., None of Your Concern, Triggered, Lightning and Thunder and Born Tired are my favs! It's time for Jhené to have the recognition she deserves!!!
                              Originally posted by Marchum View Post
                              I’ve been in my feelings lately, day 6 without leaving my house other than a couple of quick walks to the grocery store and THIS album has been giving me life since the morning, sisters. One Way St, Surrender, Speak are pure blessings to my ears today, have been on repeat. TEARS. also, None of Your Concern still slaps. More tears.
                              Originally posted by Pompeii View Post
                              I can't get over Born Tired and Speak. So beautiful.
                              Originally posted by LongingHeart View Post
                              Born Tired.......... my god......... This is going to be such a good weekend ♥
                              Originally posted by Gravity View Post
                              B.S., Tryna Smoke, 10k Hours and One Way St. are all great.
                              Originally posted by dylonj View Post
                              I’ve made my way through this and it is easier to take than Trip for sure. I will come back to this here and there to fully digest it. So far I like Born Tired. I think that speaks to me the most. I enjoyed B.S. and the song with John Legend as well. It is pretty mellow BUT I don’t expect party music when it comes to Jhene. I expect mellow, storytelling and thought-provoking songs. her albums are a mood and take me on a journey. She is overtly sexual on this album which I don’t mind. Maniac is one of my favorites from her and I’m mad it never made it onto an album.

Comment

• #3 REVEALED! The queen of vibey R&B.

Noahh Loose Leo Mugen Jonathan JeremySpears Marchum Thombus Ruthymon minime BeeBoy heppolo firefly_86 LittleArsonist JSparksFan bm08 Aaronsmithjune1 Thriller ThaInfo1 cheapthrills Ska8er Goldmoney likeidogoldlink NormiMalone

Comment

• Originally posted by minime View Post

I guess KIKI didn't make it then
                                  Unfortunately she only made it to #64 with 8 points (from you & likeidogoldlink ). "Mad At Me" still slaps though!

Comment

• Chilombo was a snoozefest. I liked her previous albums a lot but this was just borderline bearable.
                                    What happened to the vibing? Boy, you killed it. | My last.fm

Comment

• nice album at #3
                                      Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

Unfortunately she only made it to #64 with 8 points (from you & likeidogoldlink ). "Mad At Me" still slaps though!
                                        And me!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Marchum View Post

And me!!
                                          WAIT lemme check.

1d3b941727d82729d58dcf8e39c55de4.jpg

Edit: Just done checking and nope, you did not vote for Kiana Marchum

Comment

• Chilombo is my least favourite album from Jhene but has some of my favourite songs from her. I do feel she took a more commercial route which I appreciate less.
                                            I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
                                            I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Comment

• Chloe x Halle taking that crown
                                              5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

• Cool

Comment

• This is a great album from Jhene
                                                  See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                                                  See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

WAIT lemme check.

1d3b941727d82729d58dcf8e39c55de4.jpg

Edit: Just done checking and nope, you did not vote for Kiana Marchum

OOOOOPS

Comment

Working...
                                                    X