MARINA - Ancient Dreams in a Modern Land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot photo!

Don't bother updating your signature if it's a link. It takes you to completely random pages!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Blondini View Post

It's level with the last one. So joint worst. Yep, EH is the best.
      The audacity. The lie.

Comment

The artwork for this era is quite off. I wouldn’t remember this era just for the artwork at least.
        What happened to the vibing? Boy, you killed it. | My last.fm

Comment

Ancient Dreams In A Modern Land ITunes

New Zealand #1
          Australia #2
          Singapore #3
          Thailand #21

Love + Fear charted at 31 in New Zealand and 22 in Australia hopefully the good opening numbers at 1 and 2 respectively will give her a higher position this time.
          Last edited by NeonGold; Thu June 10, 2021, 21:30.

Comment

This is a cute album and I imagine a grower but there are too many ballads. It’s missing 1-2 uptempos and that’s what’s will stop it from topping Froot for me.

Will need more listens for a proper review but Highly Emotional People was my favourite on first listen
            You say that I must eat so many lemons, cos I am so Bitt-er

Comment

Just had my first spin and I can already say it‘s my least favorite Marina record of them all. Venus Fly Trap is still the standout and from the tracks we haven’t heard before, I find some of them decent, others not that appealing.

It‘s definitely not my kind of album I wanted from her. I‘d still listen to it with pleasure but nothing really sticks with me except Venus.

Comment

Originally posted by LotsOfLove View Post

The audacity. The lie.
                But it’s true, I (Love+)Fear.

Comment

Originally posted by Blondini View Post
                  It's level with the last one. So joint worst. Yep, EH is the best.
                  Just finished my first spin and this sums it up perfectly for me so far. But to be fair, even on her worst, Marina is still very good.

I Love You But I Love Me More is clear standout apart from the singles so far, also agreed that there are too many ballads compared to how short the album is.

Comment

Great album. Loooove it on first spin...
                    BEST SONGS&ALBUMS OF 2017
                    YOURS, FOREVER. // JOSS JONES (Tracklist)

Comment

Well only Noel flogging his old stuff is keeping her off the top of iTunes UK.

She should be able to keep that top ten run intact on her discography.
                      Don't bother updating your signature if it's a link. It takes you to completely random pages!!!!

Comment

Album: Ancient Dreams In A Modern Land
                        iTunes (4x #1):

#1 Denmark
                        #1 Mexico
                        #1 New Zealand
                        #1 Norway
                        #2 United Kingdom
                        #2 Australia
                        #2 Chile
                        #2 Ireland
                        #2 Italy
                        #2 Netherlands
                        #2 Portugal
                        #2 Sweden
                        #3 Brazil
                        #3 Finland
                        #3 Germany
                        #4 Canada
                        #4 France
                        #5 United States
                        #6 Austria
                        #6 Belgium

In most of these places she is outpacing Love + Fear's ITunes performance. In the UK Love + Fear peaked at 4 on ITunes so 2 is pretty good hopefully she can land another Top 5 anything over Top 4 would be her 2nd highest peak to date. US at 5 is the same for Love + Fear so she will get Top 10 on the pure sales chart but on the Billboard the lack of Vinyls and streaming will knock her down substantially.

Loving the album so much the first 4 singles we got are great and Highly Emotional People, New America, and Flowers are my favorite 3 of the new 6 tracks the other 3 I like on first appearance but I need to hear them more and really grasp the vocals, lyrics, and production. Hoping she has a Deluxe planned.
                        Last edited by NeonGold; Fri June 11, 2021, 12:36.

Comment

I like the album a lot after the first listen! Not sure yet if it’s up there with her best ones, but I definitely already enjoy it more than L+F. The only thing that disappoints me a bit is that the album is so short and that we already got almost half of the tracks before the album release. She seemed to have recorded so many songs for this era (what happened to “Pink Convertible”?), so I’m kinda surprised that she ended up with only ten tracks for this.

The highlights for me so far are the title track, “New America”, “Venus Fly Trap”, and “I Love You But I Love Me More”. “Goodbye” seems like a grower. The only songs that I couldn’t quite get into after the first listen were “Highly Emotional People” and “Pandora’s Box”, but even those two were still quite decent imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Tansike View Post

Just finished my first spin and this sums it up perfectly for me so far. But to be fair, even on her worst, Marina is still very good.

I Love You But I Love Me More is clear standout apart from the singles so far, also agreed that there are too many ballads compared to how short the album is.
                            + the ballads aren’t even phenomenal.

Immortal is the benchmark which hasn’t been achieved imo. Handmade Heaven from L+F is better than every ballad on this record.

Ballad goals - failed imo

Comment

Some of the people here clearly smoked crack dear lord

This album is good from start to finish, really appreciate her for going this direction. I expected Goodbye to have a more theatrical ending, almost like Mika's Happy Ending. It had a nice build up but then got quiet too quick in my opinion.

But this album is so strong and will definitely end up in my Top 3 Marina albums. My favorites so far are Purge the Poison, Man's World, Highly Emotional People and the god like Flowers <3

Comment

So that nice photo in the cassette inlay - an alternate to the cover shot. It isn't even in the CD inlay - it's on the inside of the case, hidden under your CD, and it crops off her thighs!

Minor niggle but one benefit of owning both formats. I guess she had all the US fans doing all the artwork for her in that zine. All you get otherwise is those two pics and lyrics, credits and thanks.

Comment

I can't wait to buy my copy tomorrow and support Marina's first week sales. I'd love to get the vinyl but it will be released next year lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Loose View Post
                                    The artwork for this era is quite off. I wouldn’t remember this era just for the artwork at least.
                                    Couldn’t agree more. It’s all over the bloody place! There’s no theme or continuity.
                                    Britney, X-tina, Lana, Janet, Spice Girls, Kylie, Dannii

Comment

The album is phenomenal. Her best work on first listen and if not, then this will definitely fight Froot for that spot for me.

I Love You is a clear standout, Flowers is sweet and New America is fantastic theatrical Marina even! Marina at her best. Highly Emotional People is the only track I'm on the fence about - i like it for sure but something about it grates me.
                                      One life with one dream on repeat

Comment

Pandora‘s Box is on my LIKE list now.

Comment

A lot of the 2nd half of the album was pleasant on first listen but after multiple times playing them the melodies really grow on you a lot and get stuck in your head.

Comment

The album sounds good on first listen, Pandora’s Box is a fave.

The album art is really weird in a bad way.
                                            last.fm

Comment

I reaaally like I Love You But I Love Me More.

Pandora's Box is definitely a powerful ballad, i love the lyrics.

Comment

Really loving this album so much! The songs that initially didn't pack a punch are definitely growers the melodies of almost all of them have worked themselves into my head and grown on me more everyday. The Spotify debut for this was 2.7M first day which is more than Love + Fear which debuted with 2.5M and was a 16 track album with the Clean Bandit collaboration this is only a 10 track of all solo songs so hopefully she sees some nice long term streaming benefits with this one and adds a deluxe edition into the mix to boost this even more.
                                                Last edited by NeonGold; Sun June 13, 2021, 06:41.

Comment

Originally posted by NeonGold View Post
                                                  The Spotify debut for this was 2.7M first day which is more than Love + Fear which debuted with 2.5M and was a 16 track album with the Clean Bandit collaboration this is only a 10 track of all solo songs so hopefully she sees some nice long term streaming benefits with this one and adds a deluxe edition into the mix to boost this even more.
                                                  It's hard to compare as Spotify has grown a lot in those 2 years, from 217 million monthly active users worldwide in April 2019 to 356 million monthly active listeners in it's most recent update.

You would expect 3.7 million first day listens possibly but it's still good to see.

Comment

• A great album; it’s like a mixture of FJ and Froot. The only song I can’t stand is Pandora’s Box but it may grow on me.
                                                    Haven't been early since '88

Comment

Working...
                                                    X