No announcement yet.

Kacey Musgraves - Star-Crossed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just listened… As a big Kacey fan since day 1 I can not help feeling a bit disappointed, but at the same time I get it or something. I don’t know. The album feels a tad forced, less emotive, the lyrics are not bad at all, but they lack that 1-2 punch from her other albums. Same goes with the production, they lack the 1-2 punch creativity her other albums have. There ain’t no high horse, space cowboy or merry go round. I read the album was recorded in three weeks with the same producers of GH, and it shows somehow. It’s like recording a break-up album when u r not sad anymore? She did not manage to recreate the authenticity of pain like she recreated the authenticity of happiness, balance and pure joy on GH. And I guess that’s the part I get, she had a lot to live up to and I feel like she got lost along the way. Still, the album offers a lot and I’m sure a lot of songs will grow on me. It’s a lot to digest in such a short time !
    Eudaimonia
    Last.fm
    Instagram

Comment

If This Was a Movie.. has to be one of the most uncomfortable song titles I’ve ever come across. It really triggers me.
      I don’t need dollar bills to have fun tonight… cheapthrills is paying $$$

Comment

Originally posted by Michiel View Post
        It’s like recording a break-up album when u r not sad anymore? She did not manage to recreate the authenticity of pain like she recreated the authenticity of happiness, balance and pure joy on GH. And I guess that’s the part I get, she had a lot to live up to and I feel like she got lost along the way. Still, the album offers a lot and I’m sure a lot of songs will grow on me. It’s a lot to digest in such a short time !
        Interesting. I read a review that said something similar - that perhaps she is the unusual artist who handles joyful songs better than ones of pain. I know I've enjoyed the two songs I have heard. Will probably be checking it later tonight.

Comment

Musgraves is selling 1950‘s fantasies with good wife. Yukk I wanna vomit.

The song is sonically very appealing though!
          What happened to the vibing? Boy, you killed it. | My last.fm

Comment

Hmm...on first listen, I must say I expected this to devastate me a lot more! "What Doesn't Kill Me" is great, though, and I wasn't expecting an all-Spanish song to close the album. I'm gonna need to sit with this one for a bit.
            Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 Good 4 U [11 weeks] + Drake invasion

Your heart is coloured with the love wrapped in the brilliant blue sky above, the breadth of the jewelled oceans, and the pure heat of the golden sun. And your heart is home to the cosmic creation that is you.

Comment

Already growing on me! Watched the movie this morning, it really elevates the album for me. That being said, I still find the production bland at times… Breadwinner is that song though. Other favs include camera roll, good wife, simple times, cherry blossom, hookup scene and the title track. The last act does not click with me so far…
              Eudaimonia
              Last.fm
              Instagram

Comment

It’s a delicate and eclectic album in my opinion. I love the overall dense atmosphere of it. So much more my cup of tea than Golden Hour.

What happened to the vibing? Boy, you killed it. | My last.fm

Comment

This is her worst album yet also still a very good album, which is a testament to how strong her discography is. Probably an 8/10. I don’t like the vocal mixing / stylistic choices and the lyrics don’t hit in the same way as a usual Kacey album. Hookup Scene is beautifully written though.

Cherry Blossom, Simple Times, There is a Light, Hook Up Scene are my early favourites
                  Fiat 500

Comment

I think she previewed the album with the wrong tracks, I get they match the theme the best but there are some nicer moments on here.

Cherry Blossom is where the album starts for me and is really dreamy and reminds me of the last album. Easier Said is another lush one that captured my attention on first listen but the best of all was What Doesn't Kill Me! So short though.....

Comment

"Breadwinner" should be a single. That chorus is fantastic. It's like a country-fied version of Doja's "Ain't Shit."

Comment

“Good Wife” & “Breadwinner” are so good and so catchy! Especially “Good Wife”… like, with the right push and with some luck, I feel like that song could really take off.
                        can you commit to be my everything?

Comment

Ok I’m erasing my initial review. This album is a MOOD! What a grower!
                          Eudaimonia
                          Last.fm
                          Instagram

Comment

Amazing and relatable record, I love how she incorporated more pop elements into her sound!!! justified, good wife, easier said and simple times are my favourites!!!

Comment

Did anyone else notice the album Acknowledgements? She literally thanked herself and no one else.

QUEEN.
                              I don’t need dollar bills to have fun tonight… cheapthrills is paying $$$

Comment

I think the album is wonderful. Another solid one! She never disappoints me!
                                Haven't been early since '88

Comment

On second listen, I'm definitely enjoying this more. She did lead with two big guns, but "Gracias a la Vida" and "Good Wife" are also major keepers. But, damn, "What Doesn't Kill Me" does something to me - one of her finest songs ever.

Your heart is coloured with the love wrapped in the brilliant blue sky above, the breadth of the jewelled oceans, and the pure heat of the golden sun. And your heart is home to the cosmic creation that is you.

Comment

Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                                    On second listen, I'm definitely enjoying this more. She did lead with two big guns, but "Gracias a la Vida" and "Good Wife" are also major keepers. But, damn, "What Doesn't Kill Me" does something to me - one of her finest songs ever.
                                    What doesn’t kill me did it for me today, what an amazing song! love it!
                                    Eudaimonia
                                    Last.fm
                                    Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Michiel View Post
                                      What doesn’t kill me did it for me today, what an amazing song! love it!
                                      I can't wait to see her perform that one live in February!

Comment

Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post

I can't wait to see her perform that one live in February!
                                        Oooooh cool, you are going to get your??!!! No European dates yet. I saw her live once here in Belgium during the golden hour era. It was in a small venue as she was not well known back here, and still isn’t… it was magical! Her voice is crystal clear and she’s so much fun! Enjoy it!! Jealous though
                                        Eudaimonia
                                        Last.fm
                                        Instagram

Comment

I really enjoy this album and its vibe. I think it even has the chances to surpass Golden Hour for me - but then, that one never impressed me as much as it impressed others.

Comment

I love this album - it really captures the sad pop vibe perfectly, which is probably my favourite pop! I think the album evolves with each listen, her pain becomes clearer
                                            You say that I must eat so many lemons, cos I am so Bitt-er

Comment

Everyday I listen to it and DAMMMMN. One of the best albums of the year!!!!

Comment

I’ve been to hell and back, golden hour faded black

What doesn’t kill me better RUN

Eudaimonia
                                                Last.fm
                                                Instagram

Comment

Working...
                                                X