The 1975 - Notes on a Conditional Form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 1975 - Notes on a Conditional Form

UK rock band the 1975 first teased the follow-up to 2016’s I like it when you sleep, for you are so beautiful yet so unaware of it over a year ago, and earlier this month they launched a countdown clock.

Today, they went on Annie Mac’s BBC Radio 1 show to debut their new single “Give Yourself A Try,” and while they were there the band revealed their bold plans for the next year. They say they’ll be releasing two albums in the next 12 months — the first, called A Brief Inquiry Into Online Relationships, is due out in October, and another will be released in May 2019. In a separate interview, Healy told Zane Lowe the second album will be called Notes On A Conditional Form.

“It’s not a double album because that would be prog and annoying and I don’t like double albums because I think they’re self-serving,” Matt Healy said during the interview. (The previously teased Music For Cars title seems to have been left behind: “That’s a perfect example of the fact that I change my mind all the time,” he said.)

The album is apparently still not finished, but “Give Yourself A Try” is done, and Healy said that it exemplifies “a tension and an anxiety that’s really present in this record.”

“Won’t you give yourself a try?” Matt Healy sings in the chorus on top of a squealing guitar line. He dives into some (presumably) self-reflection in the second half: “What would you say to your younger self? Growing a beard’s quite hard and whiskey never starts to taste nice/ And you’ll make a lot of money and it’s funny ‘cus you’ll move somewhere sunny and get addicted to drugs/ And spend obscene amounts on ******* seeds and beans online.”
    Source
    Rest In Peace Lilly!

Opening track:

The pre-order for the album is up on iTunes and the release date is 2/21/2020.

Comment

That’s like the new Sunscreen song.

Comment

Strange lead single, but clever at the same time. Every word spoken, is true.
        thank u, next

Comment

>>>>>>>>>>> LAST.FM <<<<<<<<<

Comment

New single/music video "Me & You Together Song"

Comment

The Birthday Party (Official Video)

Comment

Comment

This is getting such a polarised response, it’s interesting. An 8 from Pitchfork but a 1 star review from The Independent. I’m trying not to be swayed by the consensus online that there’s a lot of filler ... but there is.

I’m up to ‘Jesus Christ...’ and I’m not against instrumental songs for ambience and being pretty in their own right, but there’s so many on here and so many half-tracks also.

80 minutes is so long as well. I think I’ll be cutting down the album to make it more manageable once I’ve actually got through a first sitting.
                  Fiat 500

Comment

This album has gone under the radar compared to their other releases. Surprised by the negative reception as well as they are usually praised all around.
                    Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

Working...
                    X