• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Best Albums of 2018

7. The Carters, ‘Everything Is Love’

Label: Parkwood/Sony/Roc Nation
    Released: June 16

When Beyoncé sings “Can't believe we made it,” on “Apeshit,” it’s a triple entendre. She’s in awe of the surreality that she and her husband, two self-made black entrepreneurs and artists, amassed enough wealth and clout that they could later pitch a video treatment to the Louvre for that very song and actually get it approved. It’s blissful relief that the two are even still together and copacetic enough to be making music as a duo, let alone having more children. And it serves as an audience proxy for the stunned disbelief that, after at least four years of speculation, music’s first couple actually went ahead and made a whole-ass album together.

Most listeners were never quite sold on the critical viability of a joint project from these two. I don’t know—blame “Hollywood,” I guess. Six months after the pioneers of the surprise album drop casually gave us nine tracks and the wealthiest music video ever made on a random Saturday afternoon, Everything Is Love is a curious thing. The album is better than anyone figured it could be. And yet, they didn't do much with it after it dropped. The Carters were everywhere in the months that followed, embarking on the tour of the summer. The album, however, was not. The new songs didn't even impact the setlist significantly until the U.S. leg. On this occasion, the GOATs truly let the music speak for itself. What we’re left with is a tightly sequenced ode to black love, black music, and black excellence, literally. They pick up where Beyoncé left off with Beychella and JAY with “The Story of O.J.” Songs like “Black Effect” explain that they see fame as simply another tool in their arsenal to help further their brand of black excellence, keeping stories like the tragedies of Kalief Browder and Trayvon Martin on the forefront of public consciousness.

JAY, after recharging with 4:44, is back and arguably more lethal than he’s ever been in his post-retirement era, proving he can still rattle off a rewind-worthy neck-snapper on “Friends” and hole up in the pocket of a Nav or Sevn Thomas beat as easily as he can No I.D.’s production. Beyoncé is having the most fun, though, maximizing the brash, dulcet no-****s-given visage that got rave reviews on “Top Off,” “Bow Down,” “Formation,” and “Diva.” You wanted an album of Beyoncé in committed B mode, going full Third Ward Trill and snatching weaves with a Coke and smile? Here it is. The best decision, though? No narrative retreads from the previous albums in this Carter trilogy, nor super-overt references to its current state. The greatest sign that their relationship is doing fine how well they work together. —Frazier Tharpe

https://www.complex.com/music/best-albu ... ng-is-love
    "King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."

Comment

• Top 10 Hottest Joint Albums Of 2018

3. Jay-Z & Beyonce - EVERYTHING IS LOVE

On its own, EVERYTHING IS LOVE may not be a favorite for fans of Jay-Z or Beyonce’s extensive catalogue. But in context, as the closing statement in a trilogy of emotionally vulnerable releases, it plays as a poignant meditation on love, family and legacy. 4:44,and Lemonade before it, set the stage for EVERYTHING IS LOVE in a precise manner. They introduced fans to historically guarded facets of both Jay and Bey’s personal lives and their existence felt further validated by the resolution found on this final installment.EVERYTHING IS LOVE hinges on pride; pride in their resilience, their success and their undeniable talent. Both Beyonce’s versatility, as she bars up her husband on more than one occasion, and Jay’s growth, as he continues to embrace his role as one of the most influential role models in the world, are centerstage.

https://www.hotnewhiphop.com/top-10-hot ... 65932.html

Comment

• Top 10 albums of 2018

8. “Everything is Love” (Beyoncé and Jay-Z)

It is the final installment in the Carters’ trilogy on love, marriage, fame, wealth and infidelity. Beginning with Beyoncé’s iconic “Lemonade” (2016) and continuing into Jay-Z’s “4:44” (2017), a collaborative album by the two was always expected — and expected to be good. “Everything is Love” does not disappoint, with the two music legends rapping and singing through highlight tracks like R&B jam “SUMMER,” trap single “APESHIT” and hip-hop heaven “LOVEHAPPY.” Sure, Beyoncé seems to outshine Jay-Z — granted, Beyoncé outshines everyone — but the two work incredibly well on this fleshed-out, satisfying ending.

https://tuftsdaily.com/arts/2018/12/07/ ... bums-2018/

Comment

• Andy’s Top Ten Hip-Hop Albums of 2018

EVERYTHING IS LOVE by THE CARTERS

On reflection, Jay-Z is actually lucky he cheated on Beyoncé with “Becky with the good hair”. His infidelity spawned a world tour and three amazing albums, Beyoncé’s Lemonade, Jay-Z’s 4:44 and now this.

Lemonade was Beyoncé’s abrasive warning shot to Jay-Z, addressing his cheating and declaring she is not a woman to be messed with. After sounding uninspired on 2013’s Magna Carta Holy Grail , Jay-Z delivered a masterpiece and one of the best albums of 2017 with his apology album, 4:44. EVERYTHING IS LOVE is a celebration of love. Not to sound moist but, when I listen to this album, I can’t help but think, “their love is so pure”. Beyoncé really rides for Jay and the post-infidelity Carters embody black love at its finest. That is not to say that black love involves infidelity (I don’t know if I’ll ever fully forgive Jay for jeapordising the “Black Men Don’t Cheat” movement) or that women should tolerate cheating just because Beyoncé did.

Although, to an extent, this sounds like a Beyoncé album with Jay-Z on it, it sounds truly collaborative and Beyonce proves she’s a better rapper than most of the game right now. Also, it can’t be overstated how important the narrative around building black generational wealth on the album is. The Carters remain relationship goals.

http://felixonline.co.uk/articles/2018- ... s-of-2018/

Comment

• Best Music Of 2018

The Carters "Apeshit"

Beyoncé didn't choose the Louvre to film a music video for a reverent ballad like "Halo" or an empowerment anthem like "Formation." Instead, she went to the world's most prestigious museum to turn up to "Apes***," a raunchy, Migos-ad libbed trap song that cheers on her and her husband's cultural dominance and wealth. The Carters took elements of rap culture that are considered "low brow" — flaunting ostentatious status symbols like Lamborghinis, openly discussing the mechanics of sex — and juxtaposed them with the Mona Lisa, signaling that black cultural production doesn't have to be canonized by the white establishment to be considered art.

"Apes***" is the final chapter in a the soap opera-like saga Beyoncé and Jay-Z masterfully played out over three releases — Lemonade, 4:44 and this year's joint album Everything is Love — at a time when fans have an unprecedented level of access to, and thirst for, the intimate details of celebrities' private lives. After taking us through Beyoncé's heartbreak and Jay's atonement on their respective solo albums, "Apes***" shows the couple coming together for their championship rings and celebratory champagne, reminding us that the Carters are in complete control of their narrative and will always have the last laugh. —Nastia Voynovskaya (KQED)

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/05/67120653 ... 018-page-5

Comment

• Vote for The Carters & others on UKMIX Urban/R&B Album of the Year 2018! Click here to find out more.
              UKMIX R&B/Hip-Hop Albums of the Year 2020 (VOTING OPENS!)

Comment

• Re: The Carters - Everything Is Love

I love the live studio version of this.
                thank u, next

Comment

• https://www.google.hr/amp/s/brobible.co ... bey-z/amp/

I NEED THEM TO RENAME THEMSELVES BEY-Z!
                  I have received many gifts from God,
                  but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

Friends should have got more attention.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRealest

Comment

• Originally posted by Marchum
                        Originally posted by TheRealest
                        Lovehappy should have got more attention.
                        UKMIX R&B/Hip-Hop Albums of the Year 2020 (VOTING OPENS!)

Comment

• Originally posted by Marchum
                          It deserved a Video and single release. It's one of my fave Bey songs already
                          aRat's NUDES LEAKED

Comment

• Originally posted by abi
                            Originally posted by Marchum
                            Lovehappy should have got more attention.
                            | Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney | Tamia |

Comment

I wanted them to perform it in LA
                              5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

True. It's a shame they didn't release it, can't see it not having been an urban hit
                                I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
                                I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Comment

It was by far the best song on the album. I think they just didn’t wanna deal with Kim/Kanye drama

Comment

• Friends is the best song of this.

Comment

• Won Best Urban Contemporary Album at the Grammys!
                                      Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

• deserved
                                        aRat's NUDES LEAKED

Comment

• No surprise with this win. Congratz
                                          Proceed with Caution

Comment

• Originally posted by lambforever View Post
                                            No surprise with this win. Congratz
                                            I actually thought Miguel was a strong contender too. Chloe x Halle had a great album too and are nominated for Best New Artist so i wasn't too sure
                                            aRat's NUDES LEAKED

Comment

• Same. They did them wrong with Apeshit and the main categories so I wasn't sure they'd win this. Plus they lost the other two they were nominated for. Expected Miguel or CxH to get it.
                                              Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

• Originally posted by BeeBoy View Post
                                                I actually thought Miguel was a strong contender too. Chloe x Halle had a great album too and are nominated for Best New Artist so i wasn't too sure
                                                Both great comperitors but i really expected this win and it was a deserving one
                                                Proceed with Caution

Comment

• This was the strongest nominee obviously, it just feels weird that 4 and Beyoncé didn't win!

Comment

• This is such a rich record, they deserved the win.

I didn’t realise the Grammys were tonight until I saw this thread.
                                                    late.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X