No announcement yet.

Meghan Trainor - Treat Myself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still here for her. It's a shame her music is doig nothing. Seems the GP moved on and forgot about her.
    One life with one dream on repeat

Comment

She's affected by the Best New Artist curse...
      ~ representing the LBC ~

Comment

I kinda re-discovered the title track, I’ve been listening to it a lot lately. Shame it won’t be on the album.

Comment

New song out now.
          It's typical Meghan, kinda fun but probably the weakest song on the album so far.

Comment

Hm I‘m not really feeling "Evil Twin". Bubblegum pop at its worst.
            Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

What in TF is this song??? I only made halfway and got so upset. This new song is absolute trash! I hate the lyrics and the hook goes nowhere.

Comment

https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...self-interview
                As a result, on Treat Myself — out Jan. 31 on Epic Records — Trainor embraces pop’s streaming era by offering a variety of sonic approaches. Long associated with her wholesome, doo-wop-inspired sound, the 26-year-old approached her album like the playlists she grew up with, skipping around from futuristic funk (“Genetics,” which features the recently reunited Pussycat Dolls and has a chorus begging for TikTok memes)
                Nicole already did the bgvocals lol

Comment

Genetics features PCD, what?!

Comment

Her interview with Billboard is pretty interesting. They also interviewed her manager.

Meghan Trainor remembers exactly when she realized pop music was changing. It was the spring of 2018 and she was just starting to promote her third album, Treat Myself. Its lead single, “No Excuses,” had peaked at No. 46 on the Billboard Hot 100 — a solid showing, if lower than past lead singles like “All About That Bass,” which hit No. 1 in 2014 — and her team had turned their attention to its follow-up, a laid-back disco track called “Let You Be Right.”

“The label, management, my whole team were really confident in it,” recalls Trainor. “Radio guys were telling them, ‘It’s the only song that will work [off the new album].’ And for the first time I was like, ‘Alright, I'll do what you all want to do.’ ” As it turned out, “Let You Be Right” didn’t even crack the Hot 100. “That shit was wrong,” she says of her team’s prediction, forcing out a sneering laugh and adding: “Sorry, I’m getting fired up.”

So, Trainor went back to the drawing board. It wasn’t the first time she had something to prove: Following the viral success of “All About That Bass,” she says, “I was told to my face, ‘You’re going to be a one-hit wonder.’ ” Instead, she focused on her songwriting and went on to collect five more top 20 Hot 100 hits as well as a Grammy for best new artist in 2016. But when she returned to the studio to rework Treat Myself, however, she realized other writers and producers around her were all struggling to answer the same question: How do you make pop records that feel relevant in an era when hip-hop reigns? “They said, ‘We’re in the same predicament: We don’t know what to do, we don’t know what to write, we don’t know how to stay cool,’ ” says Trainor. “I wrote four albums [of material] because I was adapting to what’s going on in the music industry. I got into such a dark place of, ‘I don’t know how to follow all these rules.’ ”

“I’ve heard weird opinions from everyone [about what the album should be], so I kept writing the best songs I could,” Trainor says while looking over a copy of the tracklist — she recorded so much material over the past few years that she couldn't remember exactly what made the final cut. “Every time I accomplished a new step in my songwriting world, my brain would go, ‘Uh-oh, the rest of the album needs to be this good.’ And finally I got to a place where my label and I were like, ‘Okay, I can't beat these songs.’ ”
                    Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

Pop music isn't the most popular genre at the moment, that is correct, but you can still score a hit with a pop song if it's good, and the audience know about its existence and like it. The main problem with Meghan Trainor at the moment is that she lacks inspiration and releases 5/10 songs - songs that don't bother you when you do the shopping, but you wouldn't spin them voluntarily. Her debut album produced multiple hit singles (just like Kesha's back in the day) because once you are the star of the moment, you can do well in the single department even if the singles themselves are not that awesome. In order to be successful again, she needs to release something WOW again. She got that 'Best New Artist' award, so she should be able to be creative and reinvent herself.
                      ~ representing the LBC ~

Comment

The tracklist has finally been revealed!

1. Wave (feat. Mike Sabath)
                        2. Nice to Meet Ya (feat. Nicki Minaj)
                        3. Funk
                        4. Babygirl
                        5. Workin’ on It (feat. Lennon Stella & Sasha Sloan)
                        6. Ashes
                        7. Lie to Me
                        8. Here to Stay
                        9. Blink
                        10. Genetics (feat. The Pussycat Dolls)
                        11. Evil Twin
                        12. After You (feat. AJ Mitchell)
                        13. Another Opinion
                        14. No Excuses
                        15. Have You Now

Comment

Album #1 of 2020 that has a Nicki Minaj collab.

Comment

Pussy Cat Dolls? Oh siss did not come to play.

She’s in a weird space. In 2014 when she was singing about her body positive image, she was pigeoned holed. Now with the likes of Lizzo embracing the same message and throwing in our faces, I wonder if she should go back to that theme and attitude?
                            I feel her sound would benefit from being more instrumental and brass driven, much like her first single. Not a step side ways but an evolution forward.

I feel her issue is as much about her image as it is the overall landscape of music.

Comment

Originally posted by JeremySpears View Post
                              Her interview with Billboard is pretty interesting. They also interviewed her manager.

Although she has written her best songs those last few years IMO, it's a shame though she has to write hits. I think an artist should write and release music they love whether or not it will reach the HOT 100.
                              My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

If you're rich enough, you can basically invest your estate and record the material you like most. If you need to make money, you need to release the music people want to hear - and if your music fails to reach the charts, that is a sign that your art simply is not in demand. That's usually a sign that something's terribly going wrong...
                                ~ representing the LBC ~

Comment

Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
                                  If you're rich enough, you can basically invest your estate and record the material you like most. If you need to make money, you need to release the music people want to hear - and if your music fails to reach the charts, that is a sign that your art simply is not in demand. That's usually a sign that something's terribly going wrong...
                                  Still, usually the rich record material they think the GP wants to hear most. Isn't that what's going terribly wrong?

Comment

I’m very surprised but ill probably check this out, Blink & Workin on it are great
                                    You say that I must eat so many lemons, cos I am so Bitt-er

Comment

Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
                                      But what is 'in demand' in 2020 though, a lot of music is spoonfed through streaming playlists to a very specific demographic, a more limited demographic than ever before in music, since people don't even seem to care what they listen, while they have acces to a big library of music. Like there are loads of alternative, rock, metal, indie, R&B etc. acts that don't chart high or don't chart at all since they don't have the payola and other support to chart in a lot of regions, but are able to tour globally, some acts even in venues same size as some of these people who chart high. So does that mean the music is not in demand, or does that mean the music is simply not in demand with the crowd the charts are targeted to? And most money is made of touring these days as well.

Comment

Interesting she kept No Excuses but ditched everything else from that era, including the title track.

Comment

this leaked!
                                          Welcome to the underworld
                                          Where the love's at first sight
                                          The kind that we like
                                          Under, under, under, underworld

Comment

Well, it's out in less than 24 hours in New Zealand. Gonna wait until then

It seems like they will push the Nicki song this week. Hopefully a good move to get at least a few streaming points.

Comment

If she delivers a pop gem then she can go the Carly Rae route

Comment

Originally posted by westhammer View Post
                                                If she delivers a pop gem then she can go the Carly Rae route
                                                What route is that?

Comment

^Only adored by the gays and forgotten by the GP

Comment

• Nicki's verse is just OMG. welcome back onika
                                                    Forever Young

Comment

Working...
                                                    X