• Show
Clear All

• Tansike
    replied
    The Survivor for "Treat Myself" just started - please join if you'd like to

Leave a comment:

• JeremySpears
    replied
    By the way this has a Metacritic score of 51 based on 4 reviews.

Leave a comment:

• RayRay
    replied
    Her best album to date IMO.

01. Wave: Great song. 8/10

02. Nice To Meet Ya: It's okay, but Nicki Minaj ruins the song for me. 5/10

03. Funk: Skip. 4/10

04. Babygirl: Skip. 4/10

05. Workin' On It: Love this one. 8/10

06. Ashes: Okay, but not special. 6/10

07. Lie To Me: Have to listen to it more often, before I give my opinion.

08. Here To Stay: Have to listen to it more often, before I give my opinion.

09. Blink. This is a fun song. Love it. 8/10

10. Genetics: The solo version is one of my all time favorite Meghan Trainor songs. The Pussycat Dolls don't do anything for me on this song. Solo 10/10 Feat. PCD 7/10

11. Evil Twin: This is so much fun. Love the lyrics and it is so catchy! 9/10

12. After You: Like Genetics, I prefer the solo version. But maybe that's because I have listened to the solo versions so often, it's a bit weird to now hear the new versions. Solo 8/10 Duet 7/10

13. Another Opinion: Have to listen to it more often, before I give my opinion.

14. No Excuses: I like this one. 8/10

15. Have You Now: Have to listen to it more often before I give my opinion.

16. All The Ways: Can't believe it's just a bonus track. Love it!!! 9/10

17. Treat Myself: I like it and I think it should have been on the main version as well. Why keep the title track as a bonus? Makes no sense to me. 8/10

Leave a comment:

• JeremySpears
    replied

Leave a comment:

• dylonj
    replied
    ^^Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• JeremySpears
    replied
    Originally posted by dylonj View Post

Where did she debut in the US?
    #25 with 23.8k units.

Leave a comment:

• dylonj
    replied
    Originally posted by DoesAnybody View Post
    This debuted at #41 in UK... poor girl she is flopping quite hard elsewhere too.
    Where did she debut in the US?

Leave a comment:

• RayRay
    replied
    Wished the album did better. Meghan is one of my most played artists of 2019.

Leave a comment:

• Thriller
    replied
    Being on the Voice is useless, the majority of people who watch that show don’t buy music, let alone actively listen to any new music.

Leave a comment:

• DoesAnybody
    replied
    This debuted at #41 in UK... poor girl she is flopping quite hard elsewhere too.

Leave a comment:

• JeremySpears
    replied

Leave a comment:

• likeidogoldlink
    replied
    Tragic, but I agree with the review. Amazingly, because I usually disagree with them. The only good review is probably from Idolator, which is strange anyway. Gives everyone good ratings. I think they are afraid of criticism from fans.

Leave a comment:

• beredy
    replied
    Originally posted by spiritboy View Post

Well, it's close to Madame X score so it must be something
    I honestly don't know what your point is. This review is in line with the other two that bigger outlets did. And P4K review for MX was done by a certain person with an agenda. That has been exposed when it came out. At least this review mentions the music on the album, doesn't waste 90% of the text on being album unrelated rant. But that's offtopic. Don't bait.

Leave a comment:

• IVyoncé
    replied
    The album is cute and decent, atleast deserved 6.5

Leave a comment:

• spiritboy
    replied
    Well, it's close to Madame X score so it must be something

Leave a comment:

• beredy
    replied
    You asked for it likeidogoldlink https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums...-treat-myself/

Leave a comment:

• likeidogoldlink
    replied
    Originally posted by beredy View Post

https://www.albumoftheyear.org/album...eat-myself.php

Pop Matters and NME did review it. Maybe better if others don't.
    Ouch, maybe better not. I feel a bit sorry for her, she releases banal and basic music and flops. Well.

Leave a comment:

• beredy
    replied
    Originally posted by likeidogoldlink View Post
    Why no one is reviewing this album?
    https://www.albumoftheyear.org/album...eat-myself.php

Pop Matters and NME did review it. Maybe better if others don't.

Leave a comment:

• likeidogoldlink
    replied
    Why no one is reviewing this album?

Leave a comment:

• Thriller
    replied
    Listening to the new Genetics makes me wish it was just a PCD song for their new album

Leave a comment:

• westhammer
    replied
    This is a very cute album after a few listens. Some great low key bops.

Loving Here To Stay too!

Leave a comment:

• SilentDream
    replied
    After having listened to the album several times now, it’s time to rate all the songs!

1. “Wave”: 9.5/10
    The album opens with an absolute banger which is also already one of the highlights on the record. This was truly a nice comeback after her album was pushed back. Unfortunately the GP completely ignored it.

2. “Nice to Meet Ya”: 8/10
    On the first listen I didn’t like this one that much, but now I think it’s a bop and it was definitely the right choice to release it as a single. I really hope she gets at least a bit of success with this.

3. Funk”: 7/10
    This sounds a lot like her “Title” stuff. It’s solid, but the chorus is a bit too repetitive imo.

4. “Babygirl”: 4/10
    Not really my cup of tea. It sounds kind of chaotic and all over the place. Maybe it will grow on me, but even after several listens I can’t really get into it.

5. “Workin’ on It”: 7.5/10
    Nothing groundbreaking, but it’s a cute ballad and I like the message.

6. “Ashes”: 8/10
    This one obviously screams “basic”, but it’s a bop!

7. “Lie to Me”: 8/10
    This is the song that probably has grown on me the most since the first listen. It seemed rather unremarkable at first but I really enjoy it now. I like the transition from the calm verses to a rather big, heavy chorus.

8. “Here to Stay”: 10/10
    I loved this since the first listen. I can’t exactly say why, because if I try to stay as objective as possible (when it comes to music), it doesn’t seem like anything groundbreaking, but I just really like it a lot. It’s simply a very beautiful ballad imo.

9. “Blink”: 9/10
    One word: Bop.

10. “Genetics”: 9.5/10
    And another bop. This should have been a single back when the era had started. I also enjoy the new version with the Pussycat Dolls just as much as the original version.

11. “Evil Twin”: 10/10
    This one’s just the perfect pop song for me. The verses, the pre-chorus, the chorus, the production - I like everything!

12. “After You”: 5/10
    I like that she always has one “power ballad” on her albums. But after “Like I’m Gonna Lose You” and “Kindly Calm Me Down”, this one is rather disappointing.

13. “Another Opinion”: 9/10
    Musically, this one stands out from the rest. It has such a carefree and relaxing vibe to it, which is also perfect for the lyrics since the song literally is about not caring about other people’s opinions. And musically the chorus also reminds me of her song “Friends”.

14. “No Excuses”: 7/10
    I’ve never been that impressed by this one and since it was already released two years ago I’m kinda over it now anyway, but I still think it’s a solid pop song.

15. “Have You Now”: 7/10
    Nothing special, but an enjoyable album closer nevertheless.

(Bonus track) “All the Ways”: 9.5/10
    I’m actually surprised this one made it onto the album’s tracklist, because it already served as the lead single for her “The Love Train” EP. But I’m very happy it did, it’s an amazing song. Especially the pre-chorus is just perfection imo.

(Bonus track) “Treat Myself”: 9/10
    Sooo happy this one made it too! I felt like the song went completely unnoticed back when it was released. “Let You Be Right” at least received an official video and “All the Ways” was part of “The Love Train”, but the title track was completely ignored. It really deserved place on this album, even if it’s just as a bonus track!

Total score: 8/10

Well, as you can see I really like the album. I was honestly afraid that I wouldn’t like it that much because of the trouble she had with her label and also because I didn’t really enjoy the “Love Train” EP a lot. But well, I’m really satisfied with how “Treat Myself” turned out to be. I think I actually even like it more than her previous album (“Title” is still her best album though imo).

Leave a comment:

• IVyoncé
    replied
    the Nicki and PCD songs are actually two of my highlights on this along with Wave

Leave a comment:

• luckyONE
    replied
    The Nicki Minaj song is - not to my surprise - the worst song on the album.
    But the album as a whole is way better than expected.

love the way the physical edition looks like.

Leave a comment:

• BehindBreakaway
    replied
    This is a really good album that unfortunately won't sell very well

Leave a comment:

• IVyoncé
    replied
    It is a nice enjoyable pop record. I like it better than I thought I would.

Leave a comment:

• Tansike
    replied
    I also enjoyed the album after a first spin. "Genetics" with Nicole is a huge BOP and it's nice to see this doing well on iTunes. I think "Treat Myself" may end up as my most favorite album from her so far.

Leave a comment:

• SilentDream
    replied
    I like the album after the first listen, musically it sounds kind of like a mixture of her first two albums, imo.

So far my favourite song, out of the ones we haven’t heard before, is “Here to Stay”. But I’ll write a proper “review” in a few days when I listened to all of the songs more times.

Also, I’m happy that the title track + “All the Ways” were included as bonus tracks on the Target edition. This means that only “Can’t Dance” and “Let You Be Right” were completely cut.

Leave a comment:

• JeremySpears
    replied

Leave a comment:

• dylonj
    replied
    Why the heck is she releasing a single with Nicki Minaj in 2020?? She's not exactly "hot" at the moment.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X